BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

On the subject of Sighteyes and Anxilia...I doubt the masks would be of much help. They have no senses of their own, as they lack ears, optical organs, nerves, et cetera, which means that the sensory input that they interpret is the same input as their hosts. And since Sighteyes target the senses and not the mind, unlike Willhammers, the Anxilia would likely be just as trapped by the illusion as its host, since they have no senses of their own to detect falsehoods.In addition, they could easily be targeted as well, even if they did have senses. Sighteyes can target more than one individual.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I dunno. I'm thinking along the sense of 'The sighteye is fooling the senses of the host' but not the Anxilia/Parakuka, and as such these secondary 'minds' could poke in and say "Hey....you're being fooled" and thus attempt to wake them up.

Still. Better to leave it to the mods for something like this.

Kughii asked for a custom Kanohi allowing the user to see through illusions; Nuju declined it on the basis of not wanting something that could completely negate an entire Menti discipline. If he didn't allow an entire Kanohi for it, I very much doubt he'd allow it to be an extra feature of Anxilia.

Also, less of the chain-quotes please :P

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

What? No.

Allow me to explain; by heating the powder to anything near the heat you'd need to melt crystal, you would burn off the soot that coats the individual grains, which is the only thing stopping the powder from blowing your face off.

First off, the point is not to melt the crystal, it is to melt the soot into a new, and solid form. Also if this were the case, you would find it quite hard to make common smoke grenades.

Let's also consider the heat required for what you're suggesting; judging by their appearance, they are similar to quartz - which has melting temperatures in the thousands of degrees. Thus not easy to melt, especially when you are trying to do so using a Heatstone. If Heatstones could melt Heatstones, don't you think they'd have all just melted themselves by now?

It has been found that when things are chipped into small pieces, the rate of heat transference by conduction goes up. I will try to find a source to this, but at the moment I have no time to do so.

And finally, even if you did manage to melt and re-solidify the powder, the mechanism by which it works would not be preserved since it relies on the soot between powder grains in order to work.

I stress again, the original idea was to melt and re-solidify the soot.

I do not want to insult you at the moment, only bring my method of thinking into the light.

Although you may be a physicist, I work with explosives on a daily basis. To put this in your very own words.

Now please, once and for all, lets not discus this topic again. Ever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully not my blood.

It's not the most high-quality blood, would-be vampires had better look elsewhere

It doesn't have to be high quality. It just has to be sacrificed to the rpg gods.

-Insert deep message to prove I am alive here-

Hopefully not my blood.

It's not the most high-quality blood, would-be vampires had better look elsewhere

It doesn't have to be high quality. It just has to be sacrificed to the rpg gods.

Sorry, we only accept blood-sacrifices on certain days of the week between 10:30 and 15:00. To find out which day the next sacrifice can be made, please consult your GM or nearest Pre-Sumeran calendar.

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

First off, the point is not to melt the crystal, it is to melt the soot into a new, and solid form. Also if this were the case, you would find it quite hard to make common smoke grenades.

Melting soot? Doesn't work like that. The soot would oxidise in the air to form carbon oxides, allowing energy exchange between the grains. Boom.

It has been found that when things are chipped into small pieces, the rate of heat transference by conduction goes up. I will try to find a source to this, but at the moment I have no time to do so.

Irrelevant. If there's not enough heat to bring it to melting temperature in the first place, it won't melt.

Although you may be a physicist, I work with explosives on a daily basis. To put this in your very own words.

Even if this weren't a fictional explosive that doesn't work like real-world ones, working with something does not equal understanding it. As you pointed out, I am a physicist - and science is all about understanding things. A microbiologist is likely to better understand mould than a cleaner, even though a cleaner works with it on a daily basis.

Gentlemen.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I've been blinded by science.(Also a smoke bomb is still very much viable; two chamber system. Explosives in an inner chamber, items required to create an obscuring smoke. Explosive pushes outward, ignites smoking material and throws, or otherwise hurls out an obscuring cloud if dust or other particles. Not that it's relevant, because smoke bombs weren't the main topic of discussion anyway.)(Anyway, time for me to duck out.)(S1e11_SMOKEBOMB.gif

Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Hello. I'm working on an art project for our game. If you have a location in po-koro you would like to see in the project, please send me the name and description. The current locations I have are:The main forumsentinel HQKohlii arenaOld districtNew districtPO koro walls and GatehouseStannis' dwellingIshi and nichou's flatCemeteryvarious obelisks and inns.When sending in a location, please say if it is Canon, 2012 architecture, or 2013 architecture. Thanks!

Haha. It was changed from the bazaar to the forum because of its architectural shape. One is simply a more structured market square. Lloyd wanted a combination of Roman, Egyptian, and Renaissance Italian influences. Forsooth and ostia have a bit of a spin on them but, who am I kidding you don't need read all this rabble about facades and stuff.Valid point Ghosty!

*Ghostie and Ora and their many quotes which I'm not going to bother quoting*

Why are you arguing in GD over something that has already been approved by staff? Ghostie, you may not agree with how the protothermic powder is being used, and you may feel that being its creator gives you some leverage, but it's unfair to attack Ora when he's not the one who approved the use of the powder in a certain way. It was the staff. So I think it would be a better use of time, both yours and everyone else's, to just PM Nuju and make him aware of your concerns, because he's the one in charge of what in-game items can and cannot do.

(also, real-world physics don't necessarily apply to the BZPRPG world, rendering both of your arguments potentially invalid.)

*Ghostie and Ora and their many quotes which I'm not going to bother quoting*

Why are you arguing in GD over something that has already been approved by staff? Ghostie, you may not agree with how the protothermic powder is being used, and you may feel that being its creator gives you some leverage, but it's unfair to attack Ora when he's not the one who approved the use of the powder in a certain way. It was the staff. So I think it would be a better use of time, both yours and everyone else's, to just PM Nuju and make him aware of your concerns, because he's the one in charge of what in-game items can and cannot do.

(also, real-world physics don't necessarily apply to the BZPRPG world, rendering both of your arguments potentially invalid.)

Lets just stop talking about this altogether.

I believe that it's reasonable to assume that this universe operates relatively similar to our own unless otherwise stated (e.g., "Cold" energy, "Shadow" energy, etc). However, said physics of the universe shouldn't be called into play unless it's absolutely needed. It allows for research, or a quick google search, to be done on a topic to provide information on a subject ("Does magnetism effect lightning").

For me at least, saying that this is how it is just because we're in a different universe with different laws and without prior examples of said event or phenomenon happening in the universe (canon wise, official or BZPRPG canon) would not be very good for this RPG.

Because then I could legitimately say that your fire attack has no effect whatsoever on my water shield because we're in a different universe and heat might transfer differently here.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

I didn't 'attack' anyone. I pointed out in my original post that I understood that it had been approved by staff. I take no issue with the idea of my powder being made into explosive disks; in fact, I applaud the idea. My concerns were over the description of how said disks worked and were created - which seemed to me to be an issue not of game mechanics but of lore technicalities, if you will, and thus a 'soft' issue that could be discussed by the players at large in this open forum of ours. Not a matter of approvals; a matter of explanations.

When Ora challenged me, however, I felt it reasonable to defend my statements. I would be perfectly happy to work together with Ora and our fellow players to come up with a way of making such explosive objects as Ora clearly wants which would fit with the way that Photothermic Powder works.

As for the real-world physics thing, I am quite aware of this; however, as I said before, this is a fictional substance that works on a combination of real and fictional physics - fictional physics that I came up with.

I hope I'm not coming across as territorial here, because all I'm trying to do is make sure that things that happen in the game make sense, and I think I'm best equipped to do so when the subject in question is something for which I am responsible. I know that not everyone in this game shares my passion for physics, and I respect and understand that; however, I know I was not the only one who had concerns over what Ora was doing with the powder but felt that I was the best-qualified person to explain these concerns coherently.

I say again; I would be more than happy to help come up with a way of making explosive objects that makes sense. I don't want a fight any more than anyone else here. As is so often the case when I am misunderstood over my discussions of science, I am simply trying to help.

Edited by Ghosthands

I say again; I would be more than happy to help come up with a way of making explosive objects that makes sense. I don't want a fight any more than anyone else here. As is so often the case when I am misunderstood over my discussions of science, I am simply trying to help.

If you can find a way, that makes sense, on how photothermic powder can be melted into a solid, I will not argue with it, and I don't believe anyone else would.

I am with Gabe on this one. This is not an issue of trying to explain how Bionicle elements work by calling on advanced concepts of real-world science but something that originated in-game and if discussed on in-game terms is perfectly acceptable to talk about.

And while I do agree that these discussions can get out of hand, dismissing them right away with "It's Bionicle, real-world physics don't apply here." is not something that applies to every discussion that pops up around how stuff in this universe works. That's just akin to saying "It's magic, we don't have to explain it." which is, in all fairness, a poor storytelling excuse.

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

If you can find a way, that makes sense, on how photothermic powder can be melted into a solid, I will not argue with it, and I don't believe anyone else would.

I would say not melted, for starters...however, if you were to replace the soot with, say, plaster, you could pour it into a mould and make almost any shape you wished. It would reduce the explosive power a little, but I think that's a reasonable tradeoff for having it in a safer and more versatile form :)

I would say not melted, for starters...however, if you were to replace the soot with, say, plaster, you could pour it into a mould and make almost any shape you wished. It would reduce the explosive power a little, but I think that's a reasonable tradeoff for having it in a safer and more versatile form :)

Fair enough.

This Link is in direct reference to my early appeal for locations. Also, to those who play Akiri: expect a PM sometime shortly after I finish Po-Wahi to talk about all sorts in things you may think are absolutely mundane, but are vital to producing an image that really looks like the world of Bionicle.

Edited by Kughii

Just to add a little something to the thing with "making sense" and "physics"...

This is a game where Earth physics usually apply and it's nice when things make sense, but they can be broken for the sake of fun gameplay and interesting plots. That is to say that while we can have these arguments (or intense discussions), it would be much more... nice for all parties to allow a little more room for creativity and the ideas of others.

What Ora is planning is not something uber-powerful that will cause the staff plot and all logic to collapse. Even with possible Earth-physics-inconsistencies, I think it's smart to just ignore them, especially when the issue is such small and meaningless, and just enjoy whatever Ora is about to bring into this RPG world.

That's all.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, Tapio. Sure, Earth physics don't always apply here, but those are the gold standard by which we, as humans, have to work, at least when we don't have anything that goes against them but fits in with the Bionicle physics canon. It has to do with making things make sense - if something doesn't make sense, there's literally no point to it, and when it goes against what the creator of the substance in question (for this specific instance) has created, then it definitely needs to be worked on.

I'm sure we're all capable of being polite to each other in disagreements, as well as having fun and making interesting plots and having ideas and being creative, such as you mentioned, while still getting everything to make sense - by either Earth physics or Bionicle physics. It makes things cleaner, at the least, and easier to be understood by most everybody else, if it makes sense - whereas if we just cop-out and go "Well, they're just being creative, they can go ahead with it!", things'll degenerate into a mess.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

Like time travel. :)In all seriousness, if you want an example of what that looks like, Tapio, look at the original BZPRPG.Let's not go back to the army of Toa Inika on a mission from gods or the days of kilometer long airships. Mmmkay?

fK5oqYf.jpg

There's a line, really, where suspension of disbelief can only take you so far, and everyone places it in a different place. There's no definite point where ignoring earth physics is okay and where it isn't- not all things need to be exactly as they would unless contradicted by canon and not everything is open to the storyteller. The only real way to reconcile our various views of this reality is by discussion like this, I think. (So yeah, what Grochi said)

Edited by Visaru

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

I am with Gabe on this one. This is not an issue of trying to explain how Bionicle elements work by calling on advanced concepts of real-world science but something that originated in-game and if discussed on in-game terms is perfectly acceptable to talk about.

And while I do agree that these discussions can get out of hand, dismissing them right away with "It's Bionicle, real-world physics don't apply here." is not something that applies to every discussion that pops up around how stuff in this universe works. That's just akin to saying "It's magic, we don't have to explain it." which is, in all fairness, a poor storytelling excuse.

I couldn't agree more with this.

Also, as Visaru said above, there's a line between suspension of disbelief and downright nonsensical things. Besides, these questions almost always raise intelligent discussion, which isn't a bad thing in my book.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Hmm... so despite everything may i ask if we could get staff's judgement on the Anxilia and Willhammer/sighteye matter that was brought up? I am curious how this could play out with the eventuality of Dasaka coming to mata-nui?

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.