BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

My only tip would be to take it easy on the Kualsi. Teleporting behind/through things is difficult, especially in the heat of combat. Otherwise you haven't broken any rules as fsr as I can see.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

Since we know nothing about how Mata Nui was populated, secondary element Matoran may always have been on the island.

True dat; no argument here. I guess I didn't really specifically address the 'secondary element' Matoran during my spiel; it was more the Vortixx, Skakdi, etc., that I had in mind. Two whole different kettles of fish, to be sure.

Alternatively, they were already here.

We have no idea how Mata Nuian society was founded, other than that the Turaga was in charge. It was implied at one point during last season that the Turaga were indeed Toa a la the Metru, but since they obviously were Toa at some point by virtue of being Turaga, that means nothing. Since we don't know Metru Nui existed, there may very well not have been the demographic limitations when Mata Nui was civilized.

Since we know nothing about how Mata Nui was populated, secondary element Matoran may always have been on the island.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm writing Casanuva and Vakua like they are amnesiacs from Karda Nui. Any place with somewhat advanced tech would work, but thats what I am doing. :shrugs:

The times, they are a-changing...

Sorry, but Karda Nui doesn't exist here. :-/

Correct. To quote the Starter Topic (because now I can! :D):

Q: I want my character to originally come from Bara Magna, Zakaz, or somewhere else exotic. Can my character’s back-story involve foreign places?

A: Sorry to harsh your buzz, but that’s not okay. Here’s the thing about the BZPRPG universe: it isn’t the BIONICLE universe, not exactly. Although ours is a game founded in many parts of the BIONICLE canon, there are parts of the canon that we deliberately discard or ignore, notably among those almost every known location, several known species, and a truckload of universe history. For example: the BZPRPG world isn’t actually a giant robot body; there’s only one Makuta in our universe, and he’s a primeval force of darkness; there aren’t Dark Hunters; what’s a Bohrok?; etc. Disregarding these discrepancies by, say, stating in your character’s profile that she/he is originally from Zakaz and was once a Dark Hunter would therefore be contrary to the fabric of the BZPRPG world.

Q: So let me get this straight: I’m not allowed to refer IC or in my character’s profile to… well, to what exactly? What elements of the BIONICLE canon exist in the BZPRPG?

A: Unless something from the BIONICLE canon is explicitly acknowledged by a staff source to exist in the BZPRPG, it cannot be assumed to exist in the BZPRPG universe. To get a better feel of the BZPRPG world and how it’s diverged from the BIONICLE timeline, take a look at the Plot Overview that can be found in the following post, in the various location topics, and in the allowed lists in the Profiles Topic. If something from the BIONICLE canon isn’t mentioned in any of those places, odds are good it’s not part of our game universe. If you’ve still got questions as to whether a particular part of the BIONICLE canon exists in the BZPRPG, just ask a staff member for clarification.

If, like Keeper of Kraata, any of you have backstories that run contrary to these guidelines, I'd like to ask you to please change them.

test2.png

If you look at their profiles, they never mention Karda Nui. I didn't initially create them like that; only that they are strangers to the island of Mata Nui, much like the original toa, but a little less blank slate. I just thought it would be amusing as a mental exercise if they were from there. Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of this Schrodinger's canon; I can completely understand making up new stuff, but selectively ignoring elements is confusing. For example, the Piraka are a thing. All right, interesting. Dark Hunters are not a thing. But if that's true, how were they brought together? The Dark Hunters figure heavily into the Piraka's backstory.

They have a different backstory is all. We were already shown that Zaktan got his protodite powers from antidermis rather than the Dark Hunters.

• Upvote 1

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

It helps if you look at the BZPRPG as something separate from canon rather than canon with a new spin on it.

True dat. It's not at all strange or difficult once you get used to it; it's really just a matter of perspective. Think simple, tribal, biomechanic. Think old school new. Don't think so much about the sprawling, awesome-but-slightly-stale complexity that BIONICLE GregF canon became, think about the legend-worthy wilderness island of magic and mystery it was. :)

• Upvote 5

Dang, if the new sets weren't implicitly announced. I do think I would have left the site entirely. Firstly, let me apologize to all I've left with loose plotlines. School, work and such took a deal of the summer, and I came to the verge of abandoning BZP due to inactivity. But with a generation of fans forthcoming, and the possibility of a new generation of players to revive the BZPRPG, I felt confident to return. I will not be extremely active, but I will be around. I hope to become once again active in the community.

I don't know what happened in the past couple of months, and am coming in blind. What is currently happening? What can my characters join? Has anyone left? I just need a quick recap, as I do think the MNW archive is a tad out of date. Once I'm caught up, I'll return with Shajs, Larikon, and Senavysh posts. And if you have erstwhile plotlines to resolve with me, send me a PM, please. I'll work to continue or finish them.  

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

House! You're back! :celebrate:

To get you back up to speed:

-New Players' guide topic completed just yesterday.

-Empress Yusanora assassinated.

-A lot of effort to bring new players and veterans together by involving stuff

-Many new player plots

-Many new players

-Second Matoran contest finished, winners announced

And other stuff

The Brotherhood has been very inactive.

Our game adheres more or less exactly to the BIONICLE canon experience - meaning its story and, more importantly, what we as an audience knew of its story (had we heard of Dark Hunters back in '01?) at the time - all the way up to when Kopaka betrays the Toa Mata. After that point, the BZPRPG becomes something entirely different from the BIONICLE canon. As such, things like the Piraka - a beloved element of the canon - can get borrowed from the BIONICLE canon without having or needing context, and without having the same ties as they did in the story. They aren't the Piraka of the BIONICLE canon; they're the Piraka of the BZPRPG, and like all characters in the game, we only really know as much about them as the story has told thus far.

The key is not to overthink how we relate back to the BIONICLE canon. It's actually refreshingly simple: we don't relate back to the BIONICLE canon anymore. Everything there is to know about the BZPRPG universe (thus far!) is on full display. There's nothing else you need to confuse yourself over.

• Upvote 4

test2.png

They aren't the Piraka of the BIONICLE canon; they're the Piraka of the BZPRPG, and like all characters in the game, we only really know as much about them as the story has told thus far.

This is where it's at. They share characteristics, looks, and personalities with canon Piraka, but they aren't the same(much as say Drak Mirror Takua and Main Takanuva), or at least, that's what their story up to now heavily suggests.

Dang, if the new sets weren't implicitly announced. I do think I would have left the site entirely. Firstly, let me apologize to all I've left with loose plotlines. School, work and such took a deal of the summer, and I came to the verge of abandoning BZP due to inactivity. But with a generation of fans forthcoming, and the possibility of a new generation of players to revive the BZPRPG, I felt confident to return. I will not be extremely active, but I will be around. I hope to become once again active in the community.

I don't know what happened in the past couple of months, and am coming in blind. What is currently happening? What can my characters join? Has anyone left? I just need a quick recap, as I do think the MNW archive is a tad out of date. Once I'm caught up, I'll return with Shajs, Larikon, and Senavysh posts. And if you have erstwhile plotlines to resolve with me, send me a PM, please. I'll work to continue or finish them.  

Hey Glad to see you back. Hopefully the brotherhood of Ak'rei'an is brought back from the depths of inactivity with your return.. 

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Wait. Several of my characters (Shajs, Sukot, and Aryll, for instance) have backstories related to locations in the MU. And have had such for a while. Aryll, for instance, was a war criminal who remembers most of his nondescript island in the MU. But he hasn't told about it, in order to not violate the previous rules. Will I have to drop a coconut upon his head to wipe his memories of it? Or Shajs, for him, I've written a deal of backstory in Zakaz for him. But the character has only hazy memories of it. Will I have to delete it? What will have to do? Or are they grandfathered in?

And also, is there an Mata Nuiian expedition to the Kentoku Isles? If so, who's running it? 

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

Wait. Several of my characters (Shajs, Sukot, and Aryll, for instance) have backstories related to locations in the MU. And have had such for a while. Aryll, for instance, was a war criminal who remembers most of his nondescript island in the MU. But he hasn't told about it, in order to not violate the previous rules. Will I have to drop a coconut upon his head to wipe his memories of it? Or Shajs, for him, I've written a deal of backstory in Zakaz for him. But the character has only hazy memories of it. Will I have to delete it? What will have to do? Or are they grandfathered in?

As long as the memories are hazy, and they're not shared in any real depth IC, they're fine with me. I can tell you that there are other habitable islands in the BZPRPG universe we haven't discovered yet; however, since most of these places haven't even been conceived by the staff yet (and they probably aren't the same as locations from the BIONICLE universe), the best strategy is to leave indicators of their existence as vague as possible for the moment.

All the foreigners who were "imported" against their wills to Mata Nui by Makuta way back in the prologue of the game passed through what essentially amounted to an amnesia fog (and, most conveniently, it's hung around for the benefit of new arrivals); Makuta made all the Skakdi, Vortixx, Lesterin, etc. forget where they came from so that none of them would try to leave Mata Nui. Wherever your characters came from (and at this point, it's not supposed to be somewhere specific), they'd have - at most - extremely vague and cursory recollections of their pre-Mata Nui lives.

Wait, I've just realized again that I'm actually a genius; the Dasaka and Piraka could arrive on Mata Nui and remember where they came from because they arrived in submarines, below the surface. They never hit the fog. Ooh, I'm good.

• Upvote 1

test2.png

Okay, thanks for clearing it up.

Thats, uh, kinda exactly what I did, but I didn't know about the forgetful fog (thought that was a toa pod thing... or something...). I just said I was thinking about the backstory as if they were from Karda Nui. Any other place that was centrally united, with somewhat advanced technology would work. A better way to state Casanuva and Vakua's backstories is this: both hail from a different place, someplace with a higher level of tech and civilization, where matoran are the primary race. Neither know (anymore, at least) where they came from or why they showed up, but they remember some elements from their past (Casanuva never wanted to be a Toa, Vakua learned to cope with his mask, etc)

Thats, uh, kinda exactly what I did, but I didn't know about the forgetful fog (thought that was a toa pod thing... or something...). I just said I was thinking about the backstory as if they were from Karda Nui. Any other place that was centrally united, with somewhat advanced technology would work. A better way to state Casanuva and Vakua's backstories is this: both hail from a different place, someplace with a higher level of tech and civilization, where matoran are the primary race. Neither know (anymore, at least) where they came from or why they showed up, but they remember some elements from their past (Casanuva never wanted to be a Toa, Vakua learned to cope with his mask, etc)

You didn't know about the forgetful fog because (as far as I can tell) our esteemed host just made it up :P

Nah, don't worry about it. Keep it vague, and you'll be fine.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Methinks that it's time for a quest to the forgetful fog!

How, exactly, would your character be aware of a fog that causes them to lose all memory of everything up to and including that very fog? Especially seeing as we've been given no confirmation that the fog is even visible, nevermind something that you could harness.

- Indigo Individual

Edited by Pokémon Trainer N

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

The fog is an entirely new concept, that's right. You can't see it - besides, your character has no way of knowing it exists, you metagamers! - so you can't take any. Something with the awesome power of amnesia-fog-that-I-just-made-up is for GM use only.

test2.png

The fog is an entirely new concept, that's right. You can't see it - besides, your character has no way of knowing it exists, you metagamers! - so you can't take any. Something with the awesome power of amnesia-fog-that-I-just-made-up is for GM use only.

Question, since the Red Star voyagers have...more than likely crossed this "Forget-Fog" field, would they be affected by it? Would be interesting if th group returns, no memory of what they found...

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Question, since the Red Star voyagers have...more than likely crossed this "Forget-Fog" field, would they be affected by it? Would be interesting if th group returns, no memory of what they found...

Probably... Good point.

test2.png

A lot of my friends have tried to get me to try Forgetful Fog. I always say no.

Or so you think. :o

On-topic though uh

I'll be returning sometime soon. Whenever that Matoran thing starts or maybe before if I'm feeling motivated.

• Upvote 1

Q2TtLEz.png

Hmmm... Exactly how powerful is the Forgetful Fog? Is it an instant, total, irreversible memory wipe, or weak enough to leave vague, hazy recollections, or somewhere in between? Or maybe, like real drugs, it varies and no two cases are exactly the same? Really any would give a rather... interesting angle to write if any pre-Fog gameplay occured.

:a::k::i:

Xbox LIVE: FlamingCheese77

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

As a Toa of Plasma, I could always convert the forgetful fog into forgetful plasma.

Would the forgetful fog cause amnesia in the state of plasma?

What temperature would it be in it's plasma state?

I mean, as a toa of plasma, I could withstand the heat, but I'm not sure about you guys.

Also, we could build a submarine and avoid the forgetful fog, but that's not as fun as roasting in forgetful plasma.