BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

We saw Zaktan getting antidermis out of that when they dealt with the rahkshi. Those glyphs are the ones on the wall of the Vault.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Codex_ME_-_Hanar.png

It's all so clear now. The Great Spirit knew that evil was approaching, so he breached the dimensional barrier to enlist the help of Blasto, the first Hanar Spectre. But in an unforeseen twist, the Hanar was infected by the Antidermis, warping its mind and enhancing its already potent abilities. By attempting to stop the threat, Mata Nui unleashed another one.

This one suggests running.

Posts like this are why I come here day after day. :P

Well this looks like it will be an interesting, if predictable chapter of the Bzprpg

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Well this looks like it will be an interesting, if predictable chapter of the Bzprpg

predictable ?

wat

It's like the 2006 canon story all over again.. Except in this story, the piraka are not after the mask of life, but instead were after what the vault had, which long behold turned out to be antidermis. Now they are likely going to use that antidermis to attempt to take control of the island. but of course there is gonna be some random hero or group of heroes who will stop them... Just saying it seems predictable. It would not surprise me if somehow the dasaka are a part of the cure of antidermis since i doubt we will be seeing energized protodermis anytime soon.

Edited by VoxuChro

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I'm fairly confident that that is not going to happen.

If there's one pet peeve that Nuju goes on about more than any other in this topic, it's uncreative unoriginality. I really can't see him just rehashing 2006 when there is so much else that could be done with this arc.

Edited by The Lorax
  • Upvote 8

ppg2.png

Far far different. If there's one thing you can count on here other than EW's penchant for enforcing on-topicness is that the story will take many turns, so much so that it'll definitely be an original story.

Like, all of the story up till now has just been nothing like the original, so I think you can trust the people-in-charge-of-BZPRPG-story that it won't be rehashed.

No pressure, right, staff?

Nova blasts are not allowed. Go edit your post. Additionally I may suggest you read the rules and regulations for the game one more time thoroughly. I'm sure doing so will make everything perfectly clear.

Edited by Kughii

Question: Why don't all the Toa Maru nova blast the piraka in unison?

In addition to the illegality of nova blasts, having five other novas go off near to you is going to be lethal for each of the Maru. A mass nova blast is a suicide attack.

On the rules issue, I think that piece of information is buried somewhere quite far from the light (or at least it was when I joined, and things have been shifted around a bit since. Aside from reading it in the rules though, just ask yourself: "is this action unfairly powerful, undodgable or both? If you can answer yes to that, or aren't sure, it is god-modding and you can be fairly confident that someone else will have thought of it before you and banned it specifically.

ppg2.png

Also according to BS01 a nova blast actually has a range exceeding the total length of Metru Nui from north to south, and therefore would encompass all of Mata Nui.

So it makes sense why we're not allowed to use it, but what reason is there in-story?

Also according to BS01 a nova blast actually has a range exceeding the total length of Metru Nui from north to south, and therefore would encompass all of Mata Nui.

No, it wouldn't. There was another post that discussed this earlier on, let me go and find it for you...

EDIT: Right, this post and the one two posts above it should sort out the power of a PC toa, the Toa Maru and the nova capabilites of each (being none at all, but if they could, what it would do).

It is completely spelled out in there, but Mata Nui is a lot bigger than Metru Nui, which was just the robot's brain. Mata Nui covers its whole head.

Edited by The Lorax

ppg2.png

OOC: Emissary, a maskless toa only loses half their power, not most of it. That blast should have fried your ribcage if you just stepped to the side a bit.

IC - Flynn - Hura-Mafa River:

Flynn laughed.

"You have no honor. What kind of fair fight revolves around deriving me of my mask? You haven't won any duel, Archer. You're a cheating son of a ###### and I'm happy to die knowing you're a pathetic little runt. There's probably some space station in orbit that'll repair me anyway."

I'd just like to point out an issue with this post. If we look at your previous few posts, Flynn:

Flynn pushed himself back up, dropping the grapnel gun and re-erecting a plasma disk shield. His feet burned as blood slowly trickled out onto the deck of the ship, painting it red with the fury of a god.

And he channeled that fury. That anger, that passion, the burning intensity inside his very soul, he drudged up every last morsel of energy, every last ounce of resistance to the screaming ache in his muscles, and teleported directly in front of Archer. He grabbed for his midsection and erupted a giant burst of plasma into his belly.

As Flynn's vision started to double, he stuck his hand out towards Archer. But instead of one final blast, he redirected the blast he had already fired towards Archer's backside.

That seems to heavily imply that Flynn is at the absolute limit of his elemental reserves. The first quote of those two comes from before Flynn loses his mask, and seems to describe him expending 'every last morsel of energy' in a 'giant burst of plasma'.

The second quote is from immediately after the loss of the mask. You state that had he fired a plasma blast, it would have been 'final' i.e. used up the last of his EE (elemental energy). Now, I've never heard this 'half their power' figure you quoted, but BS01 simply says their powers are 'greatly weakened'. Given your description in the first quote, Flynn shouldn't have any EE left. And even if he does, he should be exhausted to the point where using the remaining trickle of energy is very difficult. Exerting control over preexisting element takes energy too, and by rights, Flynn's reserves should now be depleted to the point of uselessness.

It's important to be consistent when RPing a fight. ;)

• Upvote 2

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Alright, how about the fact that other than allowing his character to get slightly singed by a few plasma burst, he decided to dodge virtually everything in the latter half of the fight, while I was taking hits left, right and center because I knew it would be unrealistic to dodge those. So maybe I'm just trying to compensate for the fact that the fight became absolutely ridiculous.

Alright, how about the fact that other than allowing his character to get slightly singed by a few plasma burst, he decided to dodge virtually everything in the latter half of the fight, while I was taking hits left, right and center because I knew it would be unrealistic to dodge those. So maybe I'm just trying to compensate for the fact that the fight became absolutely ridiculous.

Auto-dodging is an issue, but it didn't look to me like Archer was auto-dodging. With the exception of the hemisphere trick, all of Flynn's elemental attacks basically amounted to 'plasma blast', the plasma equivalent of a Ta-Toa's fireball. That kind of projectile attack is both common and dodgable. Archer is stated in his profile to be a seasoned fighter, so he'd be used to having to counter that sort of attack. Void (aka Emissary) always described exactly how Archer dodged or parried, and it seemed quite reasonable to me.

There were a couple of times when Archer was unable to dodge an attack, in which cases he took the hit—and that leads me on to another point.

As you described, your character has been 'taking hits left, right and center'. While taking inevitable hits is an important point of realism, showing that those hits have consequences is just as important. Throughout the fight, Void has made frequent reference to the burns Archer sustained on his right hand and described how that injury has made certain actions more difficult for him - causing him to lose grip of one of his swords, for example.

Flynn, on the other hand, has:

• been punched in the face
  • crashed into the ship's deck after catapulting himself with a Volo Lutu
  • had his legs slashed with a sword
  • taken a roundhouse kick to the head (resulting in mask loss and 'splitting headache')
  • fallen head-first onto the deck 'with such a force that it created a hole and he fell into the cabin below'.

And yet each of those injuries seems to disappear within a couple of your posts, and no adverse effects on Flynn's ability to use elemental powers have been shown. After the aforementioned roundhouse kick, despite having what sounds like a severe concussion AND losing his mask, Flynn was somehow able to use his plasma powers without difficulty or loss of precision.

I agree with you that the fight became ridiculous. Where we disagree is on who is to blame for that.

• Upvote 5

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I'd like to talk a little about the mask bit:

Imagine you have 100 points of energy. Flynn's constant blasting plus his "final blow" would make it seem that he used up close to say 96 points.

With his mask removed, either:

1. 4-50=-46 (half his total strength)this result would be like the Toa Metru-takes days to regenerate

2. 4/2=2 (half his current) this 2 points used up by that splurt of plasma

One way or another, his little splurt of plasma would have used up any last reserves. That plus injuries sustained(crashed through boat, concussion, slashed, punched etc.) is more than enough to put him at the brink of unconsciousness.

Mind you too that Toa in the game are weaker than canon Toa(explained by how Mata Nui made more Toa, but less effective). Thus, all I just said would be even more impactful on Flynn the character.

One more thing: orbital space station. I assume you mean the Red Star, but the Red Star is just a star in this setting(as we established how other locations don't exist) and space station? Come on, we already made it clear that science and tech is only just above canon 2001 Bionicle. He shouldn't even be able to know space stations.

It's okay for a character to lose. What matters is telling a good story and playing fair. :)

Edited by Norik Of Celtania

Good day, folks. I'm a bit delayed, but I'm half chiming in here; what I'm here to do isn't supposed to be addressed towards what has occurred in Ga (Though, for the purposes of comparison, it might come up. :P), but towards an issue I saw discussed earlier.

Namely, Elemental Powers, and the effect Kanohi, more specifically the lack thereof, have on them. Seems, in my experience, to be a subject that tends to cause a little trouble when it comes up, probably because it's one that usually only comes up when someone encounters it in a combat situation. Well, the few canon references I saw above did cover a lot of it, but they weren't quite how I remember it depicted; so I went and did a little research, to see if I remembered correctly.

According both to Biosector01, and my own memory, loss of a Kanohi doesn't just affect how much elemental energy a Toa has at their disposal. It affects their ability to use it as well. As mentioned in Biosector;

When a Matoran, Toa, or Turaga has their Kanohi removed, they suffer weakness - Toa feel weak and dizzy, Turaga suffer extreme weakness, and Matoran lapse into a coma-like state if the mask is not replaced within an extended period of time.

Toa actually become dizzy and physically weak. This can be quite well exemplified by Hydraxon's training of the Mata, wherein they displayed these very same weaknesses. Now, this is pertinent because it does affect the use of elements; when you're dizzy and weak, concentration is supremely difficult. I speak from experience. :P Your mind gets a little fuzzy, and you aren't operating at full capacity. 

Now, I can hear you all getting impatient. "Krayzikk, what does this mean?"

It means that a Toa's element isn't just less effective because there isn't as much energy; it's also in large part because they're too weak and their mind is too muddled to use it properly. It's a twofold problem; less ability to access their elemental reserves, but also higher physical and mental weakness so that they can't utilize what access they have effectively. To use a practical example; for a Ta-Toa, throwing a fireball should be simplicity itself. It doesn't take too much concentration to make, and it's relatively low energy consumption. But without their mask, even making that fireball is difficult. Then factor in halved strength, and that fireball will not only be difficult to make, but also very weak compared to what it would normally be. 

I realize that was pretty long, so let me make a short version; without a mask, elemental efficiency is nearly non-existent. Using the power at all is difficult, and its effectiveness will be drastically reduced even if one does manage to use it. 

Basically, being a Toa without a mask is a really bad place to be. :P

• Upvote 8

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

So it basically sounds like getting rocked after a hard shot to the temple.

Ergo, you can still go into survival mode and offer some resistance, but it definitely aren't operating at anything resembling full capacity.

So your best bet is to flop on your back and pull a Werdum-esque "say that in my guard dork not standing up and see what happens"

Grappling stronk.

helo frens

I realize that was pretty long, so let me make a short version; without a mask, elemental efficiency is nearly non-existent. Using the power at all is difficult, and its effectiveness will be drastically reduced even if one does manage to use it. 

I've always played the Kanohi-Element interdependence like this, which explains why I have Hakann concentrating his efforts on removing (and promptly) his opponent's Kanohi. This poses an important question: how difficult are Kanohi to remove? Biosector tells us that they're magnetically attached, but the attraction probably isn't too strong, seeing how Mazeka knocked a Kanohi off of its wearer's face with a thrown dagger in Brothers In Arms (Chapter 4).

pNNgXax.jpg

HOOZAH, I'm using a full size keyboard for this post.  Wow it's so much easier...  anyways, I have a couple quick things I want to mention here:

• As a general reminder for the community, Daikura Koga is still available.  
  • The Mata-Nui Weekly may be becoming the Mata-Nui Monthly.  
  • The last time a major conversation regarding E.E. vs. P.E. when kanohi were removed was during the battle between Iraira and Kavala if I remember correctly.  I feel it might be a good precursor to look back on regarding how play might continue from this point.  
  • Krayzikk, you made a boss explanation.  Couldn't have said it better.
Edited by Kughii

I've always played the Kanohi-Element interdependence like this, which explains why I have Hakann concentrating his efforts on removing (and promptly) his opponent's Kanohi. This poses an important question: how difficult are Kanohi to remove? Biosector tells us that they're magnetically attached, but the attraction probably isn't too strong, seeing how Mazeka knocked a Kanohi off of its wearer's face with a thrown dagger in Brothers In Arms (Chapter 4).

If kanohi are magnetically attached, couldn't a toa, or any being with proper control over magnetism, be able to sever that connection?

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

It's metal, so a Fa-Toa would be able to pull the mask off anyway.

That's...a mite godmoddy, though. And incredibly unfair. Though that raises a question...

Can Fe-Toa actually manipulate the mechanical components of the races? Not things such as superficial armor, or mechanical limbs, but the actual metal within the body. It's been something I wondered about for a good, long while.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

No, they cannot. Elemental powers are not permitted to be used within the body due to OOC rulings. This applies to that by virtue of it being, basically, what the rule was created to prevent.

Similarly, while a Toa of Magnetism could do that to a Mask's connection, I doubt it's allowed. :P

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG