BZPRPG - Ga-Wahi

Nuju Metru

IC: Trial - Yarre and Farssak

"Looks like the evidence is against you," said Yarre cheerfully. "This is not fabulous at all."

The case had been lost ever since Surina had tried to murder Viima. Had they simply stayed at their house, they could have denied their entire involvement in the situation.

Although ...

"Do your religious beliefs force you to assassinate high-ranking officials?" he asked.

Farssak groaned. "That clause does not apply here at all."

"Do you not remember the case with the headless Mata Nui Cow and the Pope of the Mystix Confederacy of Justice? You were the prosecutor there."

IC Viima & Surina

(Ga-Koro, Courthouse):

Surina thought for a moment. Celite had decided to tell the truth, but luckily that truth didn't contradict her own.

"I made up the idea of getting him a drug", Surina said. "I didn't know he had quit."

Viima huffed.

"As for the rest, we just winged it. Neither of us decided anything. We just went with the flow. And no, I don't have religious beliefs that makes me murder people."

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

"You're claiming that it was not your intention to kill the Akiri."

"Yes, I am claiming that", Surina said.

"The assassination attempt was not your idea then - it was simply an act influenced by drugs?"

"Precisely", Surina said. "I left the village with Celite when we realized we were highly responsible for what happened."

From the side of the room, where Reordin and Leah stood, the Toa of water made a subtle gesture to the Akiri, catching her eye. Hahli glanced over, seeing Leah indicate her mask and slightly shaking her head. The Ruhaku was not a mask that could instantly tell the truth from lies just by being activated. But what it did do was to show when somebody was being dishonest. When a lie was told, the aura of that person instantly flared up orange in Leah's eyes. The mask didn't show what exactly that lie was. But with precise questions, it was only a matter of asking to get at the truth. After all, you can not not think about a pink Kane-Ra.

And Surina was glowing orange.

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC: Vhohan

"We kill high value targets at first. Examples would be the Maru. Now, those would be a bit hard, but some of the famous symbols of this island are weaker.There are many important Toa."

Edited by Canis Lupus

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

IC: Treize

Treize did not like mornings. Being exposed to sunlight while still in a drowsy state was irritating. One day there would be a way to stagger the light of the sun instead of letting it through in one single instant. Of course, she could take comfort in the fact that her crewmates were also in such a state.

"Rise and shine guys," she said, yawning as she knocked on the cabin doors of Beyni and Kotaran. "There's some cereal in a cupboard somewhere. I'm going to wake up Halnos."

IC:

Hahli caught the look and nodded imperceptibly before turning back to Surina. The Ga-Matoran was still sitting stock straight, defiant as ever, and the Akiri could not help but feel a pang of pity for her. She had been given every chance but had still refused to take it, still intent on trying to lie her way out of this. It was sad.

"Surina," she said stoically. "You are aware that lying to this court over such a serious charge will do nothing but add to your punishment, correct? It's perjury. It's a very serious charge. Almost as serious as the half dozen or so charges you're facing now."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC Viima & Surina

(Ga-Koro, Courthouse):

Viima smiled. Surina looked surprised.

"What do you mean 'lying'?" Surina fought to keep calm. "You have no proof of me lying. The charges against us are heavy, sure, but you can't know what led to them on our part."

This is it, Viima thought. They're gonna get a punishment soon and I can live my life knowing that they will not bother anyone else again. Except maybe the guards.

IC:

"Toa Maru Leah is in the viewing audience," Hahli informed her, finally slipping her own ace out of her sleeve. "She's been monitoring every word said, looking for a dishonest aura. And you specifically are bathing in it."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC Viima & Surina

(Ga-Koro, Courthouse):

The realization of doom struck Surina so hard he might as well have passed out on the spot. She had completely forgotten Leah's strane Kanohi power. There was nothing Surina could do. On that moment she gave up on all hope there might have been before. If she were a Toa, she would've unleashed a Nova blast to desperatly gamble for freedom. As a Matoran, supervised from all sides and prosecuted for horrible crimes, there was nothing left.

Karzahni, here I come, she thought bitterly.

"You know everything, then. You know how it began and we all know how it will end. There's nothing else I can say."

IC: Celite

Despite having been brutally honest as much as she could have been earlier, it now struck Celite that as both herself and Surina were in the same trial, she herself would be put in serious jeopardy. She wanted to nudge Yarre and remind him that he could still at least try to get the Turaga a lesser sentence, but now it seemed pointless to even raise a form of objection. Leah's presence - with a power Celite had never even heard of before - had sealed their fate. Although, that said, the prosecutor's remarks were enough to make the Turaga laugh a little on the inside.

Edited by Makuta Almanax

Current (still-living) BZRPG Characters:
LITOZEN (Toa of Sonics) SANCHII (Toa of Air)
THENTYLE (Toa of Earth) MALKAN (Ta-Matoran)

CELITE (Turaga of Lightning)

IC:

Regardless, Hahli turned to the jury. Normally there were deliberations on this sort of thing, but each of the Ga-Matoran in the box was looking at the defendants - Surina specifically, as many of the Matoran knew her and had worked with her - with a mix of loathing and horror. The jury foreman turned to Hahli, and the look gave the only verdict the Akiri needed.

"This court finds the defendants guilty of assault in the case of drugging a Matoran, attempted murder of a Matoran, assaulting a Ga-Koro Marine, resisting arrest, and conspiracy to commit murder of a village Akiri, along with the attempted murder of said Akiri," the foreman intoned.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC Viima & Surina

(Ga-Koro, Courthouse):

Viima sighed in relief. The trial was not over yet, though. He waited anxiously to hear the decision of punishment.

Surina sighed. She knew she had brought all of this on herself. First by thinking she could seriously offer a position of power to Celite and then by lying too much, talking too much. She decided to just wait for the outcome and go with the flow, as Ga-Matoran often said.

Celite's fists clenched as the verdict was given. Surina could well have made the situation far worse than Celite imagined. She sat there, staring at Hahli, awaiting the sentence that would no doubt pierce through her like a spear. I was a fool to trust a Ga-Matoran...

Edited by Makuta Almanax

IC:

Hahli fought the urge to bite down on her lip, or display some other sign of external nervousness; the jury had united as one and the defendants were ruined before the eyes of those watching from the village and in front of their peers. Surina, once an accepted if slightly off-base member of Ga-Koran society, had shown her true colors before the audience, and despite her last-second truthfulness there was no sympathy for the aged Turaga sitting beside her. The whole court held its collective breath as Hahli's mind raced through legal precedent and through the books on law and punishment she had spent the last three months reading. Her whole body was focused on remembering, on figuring something out, and then she looked at the two who had sought to end her life. Then she pictured two more beings who had committed such an atrocity with the last village leader: Ketan and Anthyn.

She stopped looking at the two defendants as a Matoran or a Turaga. Now that she pictured the Daedra and realized the crimes that wretched group had committed were perfectly symmetrical with the crimes these two had committed, the words came a lot easier.

"Ga-Koro has always been a village that has been tough, but fair. Under review of evidence and the transcripts I've already attained from firsthand interviews with the defendants, it's clear to me that Turaga Celite, though being an integral part of starting the conspiracy off, is only technically guilty of a couple of the crimes the defendants have been found guilty of. Coupled with her status as Turaga and taking her age into account, the court sentences her to eighty years in prison with the possibility of parole after fifteen."

The jury looked to Hahli in surprise, but already the Akiri had hardened; her moment of mercy was so quick and fleeting it was as if it had never come at all.

"Matoran Surina, on the other hand, is guilty of literally every crime this court has discussed today, plus one or two more that we will not try her for. That is her leniency. Taking into account her attitude in this court today, witness testimony, and a professional psychiatric evaluation, it is my belief that if given the chance to return to society, or even to a prison, she would still pose a latent threat to stability of Koro function as a whole. With that in mind, she is sentenced to death. This court is now ajourned sine die."

She stood up; the sound of her chair scooting backwards on the floor was the only real noise in the sudden dead silence of the court. With a composed nod, a wave, and a single second's worth of eye contact with Leah, she exited through the same door she came in and began to walk down the hall.

Hahli made it all of about four steps before she put her forehead against the wall and began to sob.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Relief washed over Celite as she heard Hahli's words. It was significantly less than even she had expected, and it was perhaps for the first time that she had ever felt happy to be the Turaga she was...even if she had now proven that she was worthy only of the species name and not the title. She awaited to be released from her restraints, expecting to be carted away soon. Fifteen years at least was surprisingly good for the mess that the conspirator had made, although she did feel at least a twang of guilt as she looked at Surina, whose life was not going to last much longer.

IC Viima & Surina

(Ga-Koro, Courthouse):

Viima was taken aback by the sentence. No doubt he had expected - and looked forward to - the worst possible kind of punishment for Surina. Still, the fact that Hahli, once merely a quiet, shy net-mender, had given the death penalty to one of her people, shocked him.

Viima shook his head. The trial was over now and Surina would pay for her crimes. That was all that mattered. She had decided not to play fair even in the last moments of - apparently - her life. Viima's job was done. He rose from his seat, never glancing at Surina or Celite, and left the courtroom. He had more things to care about, things he had abandoned just to get tangled in this assassination mess. He would go back to Le-Koro, pay Khervos the money for his services, and help Toa Orderin against an invisible killer.

OOC: Viima to Le-Wahi.

Surina stared ahead, not willing to lock ger gaze on anyone in particular at the moment. She had a hard time comprehending what she had just heard. The trial was over. The penalty had been announced.

She would die. She would be killed.

Unstable as she already was, Surina chuckled at the news. To think Hahli could actually do this.

"I underestimated her", Surina said to Celite, though she didn't look at her. "That's why she's there and I'm here. That's why she'll be in control of the village and I'll be dead. Now I really understand."

It was too late for that.

Ga-Matoran all over were silent from the shock. One of their own had committed so many crimes that it sickened them, yet at the same time sentencing her to death felt heart-gripping. As they walked out of the courthouse, one by one, Surina shed a couple of tears in silence.

Mata Nui forgive me, if you care.

IC:"OBJECTION!"In the stunned silence follwing Hahli's proclamation, nobhody had dared to speak, but Yarre did. His face displayed an intense expression of anger, and it was obvious to all that he was definitely not happy."This is outrageous," he hissed, all playfulness disappearing from his tone. "To sentence someone to death ... It is absolutely barbaric."Everyone could feel the venom present in his words. The attorney's buttons had been pushed too far."My defendant is guilty, no doubt about it, but to condemn her to death?"He slammed his fists against the desk."Is this the way of a civilised society?!" he roared, eyes burning with rage. "What right do we have to sentencing her like this? Where is the justice?"Yarre gestured wildly at his defendants."Can we stoop so low to kill her for her crimes? Is this the way of our future? To bring about such punishments on the guilty?"A growl."Nobody deserves death. I will not allow her to face this punishment. You have no right to take her life."

Edited by ZHX