• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Matoran? Or Monster. The Review Topic

Review Topic Matoran Monster Gratoraxe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline The Phantom Terror

The Phantom Terror
  • Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,240 posts
  •  

Posted May 16 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hi guys, reviews for Matoran? Or Monster go here.

STORY TOPIC

Edited by Phantom Terror, May 16 2013 - 08:23 AM.

14612551615_f885b55eb5_o.jpg

|+| Flickr |+| MOCpages |+| Facebook |+| YouTube |+|

|+| Rock Raiders United |+| SOLISMagna |+| Tumblr |+| TTV |+|

#2 Offline Aiwendil

Aiwendil
  • Members
  • Scavenger Va

• 635 posts
  •  

Posted May 16 2013 - 08:05 AM

....I don't think MOCs need a separate thread for reviews...

76561198084895102.png

Add me on steam, I don't bite.

probably.

also, if you can see this text, you get a brownie C:

#3 Offline The Phantom Terror

The Phantom Terror
  • Members

• 1,240 posts
  •  

Posted May 16 2013 - 08:06 AM

I wrote an epic. ._.

#4 Offline Aiwendil

Aiwendil
  • Members
  • Scavenger Va

• 635 posts
  •  

Posted May 16 2013 - 08:10 AM

I wrote an epic. ._.

woops. sorry. I feel dumb now >-<

I don't really see any problem here. keep up the good work. the chapters seem a wee bit short though.

76561198084895102.png

Add me on steam, I don't bite.

probably.

also, if you can see this text, you get a brownie C:

#5 Offline Krane

Krane
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 333 posts
  •  

Posted May 16 2013 - 08:12 AM

I wrote an epic. ._.

Hehe. That was funny.

Anyhow, you should add a link of your epic to the review topic first or people might think it's about MOCs (jk :P).

EDIT: I see you are already finished with the link thing. Well keep up with chapter two!

Edited by Kranan: Rider of Rohan, May 16 2013 - 08:27 AM.

~Kranan 

~BZPRPG Profiles

Dual Matrix: Sup?

CeeCee    :  Dual, you spammer

Kranan      : Wut wut wut 

AutomationKranan plz stop

#6 Offline Taipu1

Taipu1
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 2,784 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted May 16 2013 - 11:35 AM

First I'll get a few nitpicky grammar/spelling things out of the way.  Spelling seems pretty well done, the only thing that jumped out at me was:

[color=#610202;font-weight:bold;]f you come with us, the we'll let your lover go.[/color]

Assume it's just a typo, should be 'then'.  1 typo in a single chapter though is a pretty good rate. 

The speech doesn't flow so well, you need to start a new line when the speaker changes, so it becomes more obvious.  A lot of people (myself included) leave gaps between each line of speech, to push this.

[color=#610202;font-weight:bold;]"Not good." Gratoraxe said. "Hold your fire." A mysterious voice said. "I propose a deal, Gratoraxe. If you come with us, the we'll let your lover go." "No Gratoraxe, don't do it." Reyna pleaded. [/color]

This should be more like this:

[color=#610202;font-weight:bold;]"Not good," Gratoraxe said. [/color]

[color=#610202;font-weight:bold;]"Hold your fire," A mysterious voice said. "I propose a deal, Gratoraxe. If you come with us, then we'll let your lover go." [/color]

[color=#610202;font-weight:bold;]"No Gratoraxe, don't do it." Reyna pleaded. [/color]

As for the story you've got going, its interesting.  There's an element of mystery, which you might want to push this further, get the reader asking 'Who are these robots?', offer some hint as to where the mysterious voice might be coming from.  As Strack said, it's a bit short.  My thoughts are this is because you're setting up.  You know where you want to go, and thats where you want to be.  It perhaps comes off as a bit rushed.  It's not bad quality rushed, its more that you've only put what's necessary to set things up.

Finally I've got a quibble with Reyna's final line, I didn't really believe it.  In that situation, I wouldn't be thinking "I'll always remember you", as that implies a totally hopeless situation.  I would have thought she'd hope to see him again.  If anything she'd be more overcome with the selfless move he made by taking her place.  If anything it's not the people involved that matter, it's the act of what Gratoraxe did that's important, and Reyna's emotions about this act should be obvious from this line. 

This reviews probably comes across as pretty negative, for which I apologise.  Don't be disheartened, writing an epic is as much about bettering your skills as it is about telling a story, and constructive critiscism is the key to this. 

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

#7 Offline The Phantom Terror

The Phantom Terror
  • Members

• 1,240 posts
  •  

Posted May 16 2013 - 11:40 AM

First I'll get a few nitpicky grammar/spelling things out of the way.  Spelling seems pretty well done, the only thing that jumped out at me was:

[color=#610202;font-weight:bold;]f you come with us, the we'll let your lover go.[/color]

Assume it's just a typo, should be 'then'.  1 typo in a single chapter though is a pretty good rate. 

The speech doesn't flow so well, you need to start a new line when the speaker changes, so it becomes more obvious.  A lot of people (myself included) leave gaps between each line of speech, to push this.

>>

[color=#610202;font-weight:bold;]"Not good." Gratoraxe said. "Hold your fire." A mysterious voice said. "I propose a deal, Gratoraxe. If you come with us, the we'll let your lover go." "No Gratoraxe, don't do it." Reyna pleaded. [/color]

This should be more like this:

[color=#610202;font-weight:bold;]"Not good," Gratoraxe said. [/color]

[color=#610202;font-weight:bold;]"Hold your fire," A mysterious voice said. "I propose a deal, Gratoraxe. If you come with us, then we'll let your lover go." [/color]

[color=#610202;font-weight:bold;]"No Gratoraxe, don't do it." Reyna pleaded. [/color]

As for the story you've got going, its interesting.  There's an element of mystery, which you might want to push this further, get the reader asking 'Who are these robots?', offer some hint as to where the mysterious voice might be coming from.  As Strack said, it's a bit short.  My thoughts are this is because you're setting up.  You know where you want to go, and thats where you want to be.  It perhaps comes off as a bit rushed.  It's not bad quality rushed, its more that you've only put what's necessary to set things up.

Finally I've got a quibble with Reyna's final line, I didn't really believe it.  In that situation, I wouldn't be thinking "I'll always remember you", as that implies a totally hopeless situation.  I would have thought she'd hope to see him again.  If anything she'd be more overcome with the selfless move he made by taking her place.  If anything it's not the people involved that matter, it's the act of what Gratoraxe did that's important, and Reyna's emotions about this act should be obvious from this line. 

This reviews probably comes across as pretty negative, for which I apologise.  Don't be disheartened, writing an epic is as much about bettering your skills as it is about telling a story, and constructive critiscism is the key to this. 

Okay, thanks! Will fix spelling/grammatical errors. I am setting it up for something bigger that ties into the Adventures of Sandstorm. This might turn out a  little like Total Recall or the Matrix. Reyna  said "I'll always remember you." Because it is a key element for later in the story and the strength of the robots is INSANE. There is only one way to defeat/destroy them, and it is not brute strength. 

Edited by Phantom Terror, May 17 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#8 Offline Toa Of Anarchy

Toa Of Anarchy
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 331 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 12 2013 - 10:21 AM

Chapter One. Ordinary

Chapter Two. Extrodinary

Chapter Three. SPECTACULAR!

Good Story(s)!

Really looking forward to more.

Once you are done though, you might want to write a prequel so we understand the settings better.

"The invasion of the universe core is proceeding well, my newest creations are spreading darkness and corruption, and in general, it is good to be alive."
— Mutran, The Mutran Chronicles

"And you still haven't answered any of my one-hundred ten questions, or my follow ups."
— Vezon to Trinuma, Destiny War

"Another Hafu original!"
— Hafu, Mata Nui Online Game 

The biggest sacrifice in bionicle. Its a tie between Matoro giving up his life to save the universe and Hafu knocking down his beloved pieces of nostalgia to save Po-Koro.

#9 Offline The Phantom Terror

The Phantom Terror
  • Members

• 1,240 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 12 2013 - 10:36 AM

Chapter One. Ordinary

Chapter Two. Extrodinary

Chapter Three. SPECTACULAR!

Good Story(s)!

Really looking forward to more.

Once you are done though, you might want to write a prequel so we understand the settings better.

I would like to know what makes these chapter ordinary, extraordinary, and spectacular.

EDIT: Thank you to the staff member who moved these posts out of my story. :)

Edited by Wasp, Aug 13 2013 - 07:29 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users