The Cantina

Lev, I am waiting for a second opinion on your character's knowledge of all lightsaber forms before proceeding.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Lev, I am waiting for a second opinion on your character's knowledge of all lightsaber forms before proceeding.

It's not as though he can personally use them, with or without a lightsaber. I specifically mention that he only knows of them, and how to counter them. More than anything else, it was a fail safe; if forced into a situation where he was up against a lightsaber wielder, he would need to have some understanding of their forms in order to avoid having his bolts deflected. Or worse - sent back at him. I would prefer not to see him killed by a random NPC Apprentice with a fancy sword.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

My laptop is back, currently setting it up. Had to get a new hard drive, so I'm getting everything in order again.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Good to hear it didn't stay permanently bricked.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

My laptop is back, currently setting it up. Had to get a new hard drive, so I'm getting everything in order again.

Google Drive is your friend for backing up important things. :P

But either way, great to see that you have access to a laptop again.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Lev, I'd tone it down from intensive knowledge of every lightsaber form to general knowledge. As for knowing how to counter each lightsaber form, do you have any specific counters in mind?

I originally wanted to put general knowledge, and normally would have; however, I did not want to be the person on the receiving line for something not being specifically mentioned in my profile.

I can come up with some counters, but I'm in a bit of a rush to get out of the house right now so I'm afraid that will have to wait until later. Until then, I managed to edit in a post from Lord Salvador into the last post that I made, regarding the Jedi on Lehon. Trying to Drain Knoweldge out of an apprentice. No big deal.

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Name: Daniel Honsburg

Species: HumanGender: Male

Sympathies: Jedi OrderRank: KnightOccupation: Jedi Commander. He commands his own squad of clones in battleSkills: Specializes in Form III (Soresu: Form that helps defend against blaster fire) and Form II (Makashi: Form that helps defend against lightsaber)Force Abilities: Force Pull and Push. Saber Throw and Mind Attacks (Tricking the mind of an individual. Ex: 'These are not the droids you're looking for.'). Force Grip.Equipment or Weapons: A curved hilted lightsaber with a royal blue crystal. Carries a D-33 blaster.Appearance: Right HerePersonality: Young and arrogant, he feels the urge to go head on into battle. Plus when slicing won't do it, he goes for good ol' shooting. (Which the others frown upon him for doing so.)Home Planet: KashyyykHistory: Born in the Wokkiee home world of Kashyyyk, Daniel knows the language of the furry giants. Being the son of a former Jedi master, he was born with the force, which is why he is able to use it. One day he found out about his powers when a Wokkiee glider crashed down on the platform of the tree city he lived in. He rushed in and unknowingly, used the force to lift the glider from the pinned Wokkiee. He was about nine years of age. One year later, a Jedi master came to him to ask if he would join the Jedi order. He did, and thus, he headed to Corusant.

Upon doing so, he began training with some other younglings on mastering the force. When it was time to retrieve his lightsaber crystal and form his lightsaber, he found a light and royal blue that suited him with the guidance of the force. Years later, when he was 20, he gained the rank of knight. He serves under the helpful guidance of his master, on commanding his own clone battalion.

Okay, I fixed the image link.

Edited by Flaredrick: the Sniper

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

I said the gauntlet could channel without backfiring.

I actually wasn't sure if Madara had been talking to me or not.

You still have yet to explain what skill set is required.

No one said he was stronger than other characters, just that he was capable of using above average abilities. But as I said, I will not argue with the staff. So, I will cease and accept what happened. I acted my character out rashly and paid the price. I would ask for a retry but, that's probably not going to happen. I will return when I have another character.

Life comes, and life goes, flowing like the tide.

Peace ebbs, and peace flows, often fleeting just like time.

Love can last, but only so, there isn't much before you die.

People pass, come to and fro. And eventually revenge too, doe lie.

For in the the end, it's only the vengent who lasts forever.

The Vengent Spectre.

Well not instantly, given he saw the need to both restrain the Togruta and make sure he had no weapon nearby that he could use to fight back. I'd say character who hadn't been repeatedly put on the back foot, didn't have pressure put on a sensitive area and had better sense than to rely pretty much solely on a lightsaber would have no problem fighting it off before any real damage was done

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Figure this is as good a time as any; something that I've noticed this RPG lacks is a common sense rule. Many RPGs in both the OTC and BRPG forums have some form of common sense rule in there, where in situations where someone obviously has the upperhand, they obviously have the upperhand. In some situations it makes sense that autohitting happens because of either in-game mechanics (say, an extremely precise sniper rifle) or in-game skill (say, a veteran sniper). This means that when someone takes the time to stack the odds in their favor, they can actually make good on that. As such I'd like to officially request that the staff put that in.

I put this here and not in a more private discussion because, well, I'm just one ***hole with a keyboard. It's definitely something the community would need to agree to. I, by myself, don't have much credit to go on.

Edited by Darth Alex Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

I can see the wisdom in this course.

Certainly head-off any whining when I dump Droideka's on-never mind. Yep. I like this rule.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I put this out there because I've always felt that COT RPGs have always had a sort of... limiting factor on what payers could successfully do. An example that immediately comes to mind is the X-Men RPG's earlier days; fights that were obviously one-sided had GM interference to make sure they were fair. Thing is, not every fight is fair. Indeed, one of the creeds of war is never to fight a fair fight. I'm not saying there's never going be a fair fight, and in such a fight then your standard rules of autohitting and gmodding comes into play.

But when you're in an obviously lopsided fight, then whoever is on the higher end of the lopside is going to be at a substantial advantage, and the standard rules probably won't come into play as much. It's just common sense. Like like a giant creature from the black lagoon murdering an unprepared Jedi, except that in this case it effects all players, and not just staff NPCs.

voidstars.png

I do hope that it wasn't the current events on Lehon between the Sith and Jedi that prompted the bringing-up of this rule idea. While a Sith Lord might have something of an advantage over a 19 year old padawan, being on that side of that fight doesn't guarantee a win, and the standard rules do need to be considered - particularly the autohitting rule.

If we make a rule that actually says "if you're in certain circumstances, you can disregard the autohitting rule" then people will do everything they can to consistently claim that all circumstances are such circumstances for them. All characters will suddenly be so good with their chosen weapons that nobody can defend against them, because we were kind enough to give them a loophole.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Having the odds stacked against you doesn't mean you're going to lose; just increases your chances of doing so. A novice can still beat a master, they just have to work a lot harder to do so. It's common sense, not a have-an-automatic-win clause.

voidstars.png

And it is important to have it in writing that that is the case - if we just say that they can bend rule seven, they will tie it in a knot.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Boom. Rule 11 has been added in. It's a bit lengthy, but I have to credit both Ymper and Alex for some excellent wording.

10. Common sense rules in this RP. If you break away from the rest of your party in a predator-infested jungle, chances are you're gonna get eaten. If a veteran sniper is firing from two miles away with a sniper rifle, at you, it's possible to die. If you're a Padawan challenging a Darth, you will likely get dismembered (or worse). In a similar fashion, if you're playing a Darth going against a youngling, the difference in skill should be enough to justify common sense bending of rule 7.

This does not give you license to completely ignore rule 7, but it does let you show off a little in cases where it is so far from a fair fight that it's not even funny anymore. That being said, a novice can still beat a master. They just have to work a lot harder and a lot smarter to do so. It is a rule of common sense, not a have-an-automatic-win clause.

Edited by Madara: Mangekyou Master

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

Also, what exactly do you mean by "Form III" and "Form II" lightsabers? Is the one meant for Makashi a curved-hilt, the one for Soresu a relatively unadorned straight-hilted design?

Form II: or Makashi, is said to work better with curved-hilt sabers, but that is not always the case. Shaak Ti and Kento Marek proved greatly while utilizing standard lightsabers.

Form III: Or Soresu, can be utilized by any hilted design.

So yes, that is what I mean.

Okay, one, we hit hyperspace. So yeah. Plus Ymper is going to unleash Rancors on us.

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

guys. guys guys guys.

goats fix everything

can I have a history on what's going on right now? haha, leave for four days and suddenly Star Wars RPGs explode with activity

Well, the ship the Jedi were chasing blew up the Lance and ran off to Bespin, so the Jedi are returning to the Temple and somebody's asking Nentir if he needs medical attention and whatnot, because of how that fight turned out for his ship. Things are going silly on Lehon, with missing fingers, flying foliage (it's full of spiders!) and an Acklay eating one of the Sith apprentices.

If you've got any specific characters in specific situations that aren't covered by that, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Not sure if they're still in hyperspace or not.

Basilisk, any chance of that Vel Orral post coming in, or maybe one from the Chiss boss-lady?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I thought we blazed through the Hyperspace posts then Flaredrick posted about leaving Coruscant's atmosphere... I'm as lost as you are. I think he was waiting on you...

"Boss! Da needle is pointin' in da red! Dat ain't good!"
"Course it's good ya squealin' runt! Red goes fastah!"

Orks... Such wonderfully simple creatures.

@ Winston - I like the cook. :) But if you could specify his science skills a little more (psychology, biology, anatomy, or cheesemaking?), that would be excellent.

Chef. :c

Well, naturally, botany and biology are important (the old stories about eating the wrong berries and cutting into the poison sacs of various fish the wrong way aren't just cliches...) and I'd say that he'd also have a good idea of at least basic to moderate physics, since the kitchen's full of that stuff. A little bit of engineering and mechanical prowess, nothing on par with most engineers but enough to fix an appliance up if it breaks. Simple stuff.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

... okay, I'm sorry, but did I just have my characters fingers bitten off? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't get that medically fixed in Star Wars (given the employment of robotic limbs as substitutes, which is hardly ideal). I mean heck, if anything he's wearing armor on his hand. And I don't want someone coming up with the excuse "well it doesn't say it in the appearance" or something like that, because in most situations that's what's implied by wearing armor. Stick the word in Google Image Search if you don't believe me.

Now, the actual biting I can understand. Coming from someone who has been targeted by some major fear and confusion effects, not to mention having Drain Knowledge used to psychologically traumatizing effect. Something it can be used for, according to the Wiki.

If this is a reference to a perceived breaking of rules, then I'll call that one out. For one, the character was an NPC at a severe handicap. They didn't even have a name, or race mind you, until the latter was given. There was also express permission given to pick off a few of the given apprentices. And heck, just to be safe I put effort into making a post that at least did the padawan some justice before they got curbstomped to the ground.

So, with that bit of venting done... now that I have a chance: a few counters, to be employed in lightsaber vs. blaster combat. Written from a first person perspective. I'd have preferred to handle this stuff in-character as the opportunity arises, but maybe someone can put any valid points I make here to use as well.

Scrapped together as -

Shii-Cho: "The class Jedi form of Shii-Cho is a classic style, though not as commonplace as one would think that would entail. The primary form of attack with this style is its wide, sweeping motions. The form is also useful for the purpose of countering blasters, which makes it a danger to any potential blaster user. Your saving grace is those wide motions. Target the extremities of the foe first with pinpoint accuracy, moving for shots at areas unprotected and forcing them to move out of their comfort zone. Wait for the moment at which they have overextended themselves; fire multiple shots in random order and position. At least one shot will get through, and with a disruptor, that's all you need."

Makashi: "The moment a Makashi wielder has reached you in melee, you've already been dead for a few seconds, and so have your friends. To avoid this situation, take advantage of the styles weakness - it's devotion to dueling. Motions are kept close to home, and designed specifically to counter another blade. It is an elegant style, but do not mistake this for strength. Keep them occupied up top; surprise them with a shot at the leg in the midst of your volley, or anywhere other than the area they have been keeping their blade for that matter, and they have other things to think about."

Soresu: "I can't stand Soresu users, but I respect them. They're the ones smart enough to choose a technique that's actually practical in a galaxy inhabited by people with blasters. Smart indeed. The problem is that their technique is too defensive, but that's more of a worry against lightsaber wielders. For a blaster wielder, they're more than fast enough. An attack by stealth is the best option you can take. When that fails, get creative. Use the environment to distract them. Or, if it comes down to it... just shoot faster and more accurately than they can block, and try to measure their weaknesses. I've seen more than a few who just didn't expect to face a Grey Paladin in battle."

Atarau: "Ah, Ataru.... Ataru, Ataru, Ataru. Another one you don't want to let get too close, but they only have a true advantage either in that position or in melee. At mid-range, they're close enough to have a clear target amidst their jumping and techniques. Techniques designed to evade, but the thing is, a person can't maneuver as well when in the air as they can on the ground. Fact, no matter who you are, force powers or none. And boy do these people like to jump. Watch their movements, and make sure to fire where they're going to be. Not where they are."

Shien/Djem So: "Shien and Djem So. Think Soresu, only a bit flashier and more likely to send your blaster bolts right back at your face. Being able to target your own bolts out of the air, and dodge with expertise, is a hallmark of just surviving the encounter. Shien, at the very least, is not designed with single opponents in mind. How much good that will do you and your blasters, though? Try to study their pattern and, once you know it, move to target their weak points. Follow the same procedure as with Soresu, otherwise."

Niman: "The situation calls for what the situation calls for. Be resourceful and witty; use the terrain, study your enemy. This is not a form that can be predicted, as it is in moderation of all. Learning where the user fails and succeeds the most in this attempt will find you the weakness you need."

Juyo/Vaapad: "At this point, you maybe facing Grandmaster Windu. Run as fast as you can. If this is not the case, be weary - this person is in a full state of unbridled rage. Your best chance here is to distract them, and go for a few fatal shots in the situation. I recommend using the terrain or distracting shots. Firing faster than they can block can be useful, if you have the right weapon available."

I am not a Grey Paladin with decades of training. I do not personally have a highly developed knowledge of all lightsaber forms. This will not be the list of a master, it is something I came up with sitting at my computer. Someone will point out a mistake, but my response to them starts with "It's a game, get over yourself."