• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Rare "Mr. Gold" Minifigure Selling for $1000

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 1,219 posts
  •  

Posted May 23 2013 - 11:42 PM

We previously reported on the rare "Mr. Gold" minifigure hidden within the Series 10 minifigure collection. With only 5,000 of the figures produced, they're fetching handsome prices on eBay from adult Lego fans wanting to buy their way to victory. According to the latest update, fewer than 500 of the figures have been reported found, meaning there's still a high chance true collectors can find one organically.View the full article

#2 Offline Chro

Chro
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,754 posts
  •  

Posted May 24 2013 - 05:29 AM

Interestingly enough, out of those five hundred, I know two people who've found them...

#3 Offline Blizzard Hazard: Valendale

Blizzard Hazard: Valendale
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Chugger of all that is Icy

• 268 posts
  •  

Posted May 24 2013 - 09:02 AM

[color=#00ffff;]This won't last long. Once they all get out there, I predict the price will settle out to around $200-500.[/color]

Posted Image
"Cast aside your desires...and fight."
3DS FC: 2492-4241-6189

#4 Offline Voltex

Voltex
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • The Storyteller

• 4,374 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:26 AM

[color=rgb(0,128,128);]If less than 500 have been found, then I find it doubly cool that I know somebody who's found one. The only thing that would be cooler is if I had found one, but my friend and I live in a tiny city. I'm surprised even one of the gold figures ended up here.[/color]

4_-_drift_force_teaser_v2.jpg

#5 Offline Madara: Mangekyou Master

Madara: Mangekyou Master
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted May 26 2013 - 09:58 PM

Soon they'll all be discovered. :/ Still $1000. Sheesh. 

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

#6 Offline PyroLizard Prime

PyroLizard Prime
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 236 posts
  •  

Posted May 27 2013 - 05:22 PM

this is kinda dumb...

If I find one, I'll sell it for one grand, buy the gold* Hau for $300, then use the rest to get, you guessed it, Misprints!

*Not, the Hau is REAL GOLD, but half the price of a Chrome gold COLORED minifigure made of cheap plastic. It's also has a smaller product size than Mr. Gold. People can be REALLY stupid sometimes...

"I am proud... to have called you brother... Vakama..."- Toa lhikan, the best character ever created by LEGO...

"Toa... So dramatic"- Nidhiki, another one if the best characters ever created by LEGO...

Remember them...

enax_the_epic_big.pngENAX WILL HAVE YOUR SOUL... Or your mask... Or maybe both...     :tohu: 

Sprite credits go to Katuko and Strack. Great job, guys!  :D

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

#7 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted May 27 2013 - 06:38 PM

this is kinda dumb... If I find one, I'll sell it for one grand, buy the gold* Hau for $300, then use the rest to get, you guessed it, Misprints!   *Not, the Hau is REAL GOLD, but half the price of a Chrome gold COLORED minifigure made of cheap plastic. It's also has a smaller product size than Mr. Gold. People can be REALLY stupid sometimes...

It's not about the material value, unless you intend to melt down the Hau and sell the raw gold in it (in which case may I just beg you to reconsider). In fact, someone who intends to collect misprints should know that. Logically misprints by that argument should be worth less than correctly printed parts, since they are for all intents and purposes defective, yet use the same materials as their more common counterparts. Value is all about scarcity, and demand. Lego collectible minifigures are a hot commodity right now, and generic Lego has always had a wider audience than Bionicle, even moreso now that Bionicle has been over for a few years and only a small number of diehard fans are left.Am I saying the prices on Mr. Gold aren't ridiculous? No, and I'm sure they'll go down as more Mr. Golds are put on the market. Every type of collectible goes through a period of disproportionate demand as distribution begins, and Bionicle's collectibles were not immune to it either, back in the day.Plus, I cringe every time I hear "cheap plastic" used as a slur against the collectible minifigures, since the plastic used in all minifigures has always been the same except for those with rubbery/soft/transparent parts, or the actual cheap plastic from the minifigure pens from years back. There has been color variation, which can be a legitimate quality issue, but the "cheap plastic" argument usually betrays a misunderstanding of Lego's production practices and, in some cases, an irrational fear of foreign manufacturing.

Edited by Lyichir, May 27 2013 - 06:54 PM.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#8 Offline Watcher on the Walls

Watcher on the Walls
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,955 posts
  •  

Posted May 27 2013 - 08:49 PM

$1000? Nope. Wouldn't dream of the price. It is quite ridiculous, in my opinion.

#9 Offline PyroLizard Prime

PyroLizard Prime
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 236 posts
  •  

Posted May 28 2013 - 07:08 AM

this is kinda dumb... If I find one, I'll sell it for one grand, buy the gold* Hau for $300, then use the rest to get, you guessed it, Misprints!   *Not, the Hau is REAL GOLD, but half the price of a Chrome gold COLORED minifigure made of cheap plastic. It's also has a smaller product size than Mr. Gold. People can be REALLY stupid sometimes...

It's not about the material value, unless you intend to melt down the Hau and sell the raw gold in it (in which case may I just beg you to reconsider). In fact, someone who intends to collect misprints should know that. Logically misprints by that argument should be worth less than correctly printed parts, since they are for all intents and purposes defective, yet use the same materials as their more common counterparts. Value is all about scarcity, and demand. Lego collectible minifigures are a hot commodity right now, and generic Lego has always had a wider audience than Bionicle, even moreso now that Bionicle has been over for a few years and only a small number of diehard fans are left.Am I saying the prices on Mr. Gold aren't ridiculous? No, and I'm sure they'll go down as more Mr. Golds are put on the market. Every type of collectible goes through a period of disproportionate demand as distribution begins, and Bionicle's collectibles were not immune to it either, back in the day.Plus, I cringe every time I hear "cheap plastic" used as a slur against the collectible minifigures, since the plastic used in all minifigures has always been the same except for those with rubbery/soft/transparent parts, or the actual cheap plastic from the minifigure pens from years back. There has been color variation, which can be a legitimate quality issue, but the "cheap plastic" argument usually betrays a misunderstanding of Lego's production practices and, in some cases, an irrational fear of foreign manufacturing.

Don't worry. If I got a Gold Hau, I would NEVER melt it down. As for the plastic thing, would "lower quality" have described it better? I called it cheap because my friend got one, and it's entire face was nearly scratched off, due to the softer plastic.

Edited by Enax the epic, May 28 2013 - 07:11 AM.

"I am proud... to have called you brother... Vakama..."- Toa lhikan, the best character ever created by LEGO...

"Toa... So dramatic"- Nidhiki, another one if the best characters ever created by LEGO...

Remember them...

enax_the_epic_big.pngENAX WILL HAVE YOUR SOUL... Or your mask... Or maybe both...     :tohu: 

Sprite credits go to Katuko and Strack. Great job, guys!  :D

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

#10 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted May 29 2013 - 06:43 PM

Don't worry. If I got a Gold Hau, I would NEVER melt it down. As for the plastic thing, would "lower quality" have described it better? I called it cheap because my friend got one, and it's entire face was nearly scratched off, due to the softer plastic.

That wouldn't be because of softer plastic. I believe Mr. Gold uses the same ABS as most parts, just with a chrome surface treatment. But I've experienced the chrome on chromed parts rubbing off, and if that's happening to Mr. Gold in-package, that is troubling. But "cheapness" isn't the problem, either in terms of cost (since chromed parts cost more for Lego to produce, if only marginally so) or value (since it's no cheaper than chromed parts Lego has done for years, and it sounds like the packaging is more the problem). I suppose I'm just frustrated with the most common complaint with Lego quality being the vague "cheap" instead of listing a specific problem.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users