Bionicle Websites to be Shut Down

Well then, it looks like it's finally, officially, coming to an end.

I personally doubt that Bionicle will ever make a return, not as sets at least. Perhaps we can hold on to the hope that one day Greg will find the time to restore the story and at the very least, wrap up the serials and tie up some loose ends.

But until that day comes, I guess it's one final farewell to the largest part of my childhood.

~Xetra

Edited by Xetra

Avatar image provided by Shattered Mask Productions

I'll be honest... I didn't get much into the extended story parts, which I kind of regret. I sort of fell out of things near the end of the Voya Nui part of the story - Mahri was interesting, but I didn't get into it much, and thus even less with everything else. Regardless, Bionicle is and was a huge part of my childhood, and I'll still have fond memories of it. I remember one of my first experiences was puzzling my way through MNOG I completely on my own, which, funnily enough, I actually have a bit of trouble with doing now. I never got very far into MNOG II, since I lacked that much skill at the age I played it I got completely stomped in the Kohlii games. But I still look back on it fondly, regardless of still having access to it from other sites. I remember having to ask Gatanui for help getting a Life Stone on VNOG, which was also a nice game. I read a few of the old books, but, yeah, I mostly end up having to do research to find out more about some of the further-on/side stories. Either way, I'm going to miss those sites - even if I didn't keep up on the podcasts, and it has been fairly odd to have the 'new' Stars on the page for... what, how many years now? I wish they released a huge archive of the site so we could see all of the old stuff.

So, wall of text aside? Bionicle.com, you will be missed.

But the memories and stories will live on with our members here on BZP and other similar sites, since I'm fairly sure they exist.

Edited by Leraku

Sisen said:

Let's focus on Snail! Snail is the bombdiggity.

it puzzles me a little as to why people are getting emotional over this. i mean, sure, the website being taken down is symbolic and all (i guess), but Bionicle's been pretty much dead for two years. in my eyes, Bionicle died when the storyline ended, and the website was only kept up as a nod to the fans, not because the story might continue.

i don't personally see this as that big of a deal. we have a good portion of the content from the site saved, to enjoy (and get nostalgic over) whenever we want, and there's the slimmest of chances that the story may continue at some point down the road--for those of you who keep up with story serials, at least; i never could.

but...yeah. just seems to me like people are making too big of a deal of the "real end" of something that i thought we had all finally accepted is dead and gone, at least for the time being.

I still remember how excited and amazed I was when I first leaned there was a BIONICLE website. A sad announcement indeed.I'm less fazed by BIONICLEstory's retirement. I usually read the serials on BS01 anyway. I was in love with the original 2007 version, though. I listened to the background music for hours.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

This is really almost as sad as the day that Bionicle was ended. Bionicle.com has been my favorite site to visit ever since 2002, when i discovered Bionicle.

I have anticipated this happening, however, and I have made backups of Bionicle.com. Everything is saved, code included. I will make a backup of Bioniclestory.com as well.

I really like Zeene's idea about the Kanoka Club, BTW.

Bliss.png

Well that's the final nail in the coffin. RIP Bionicle. I'll be waiting for your return. -Lewa Krom Edit: Also - and this message is directed at Lego - I'm still waiting. Until you bring back Bionicle, I'll continue not purchasing your products.

You're 18 years old, right? So that makes you one of several billion adults who are not AFOLs. Really, TLG put forth an effort after BIONICLE's cancellation to get BIONICLE fans to move on to some of their other themes, but at this point any BIONICLE fans who didn't, and who haven't simply decided they've "grown out of it", are a drop in the bucket compared to the number of potential KFOLs the company can attract with new products.If BIONICLE does come back, it won't be because TLG sees a lot of money to be made from the theme's original fans, but rather because their market research indicates that a new generation of fans would love a theme like BIONICLE, and that there is strong justification for using the BIONICLE brand name itself rather than creating a new theme based on the same storytelling and set design values.It's a bit sad to see BIONICLE.com and BIONICLEstory.com going away, but as Meiko said, there's really not much justification for keeping them around. They're not serving The LEGO Group any useful function at this point, and since it's been over a year since either has been updated, it's no surprise that they don't get enough traffic to merit their continued existence. And I think we should all be thankful to Kelly McKiernan for giving us advance notice so we can archive whatever is important to us from these sites. It's a greater privelege than the LEGO fan community would get for a decision like this involving any other theme that's been gone so many years.

*sigh*

I've rarely been that active here for the past five years, but boy did I love some BIONICLE. I don't really care about Bionicle.com, since they changed that every year. I have fond memories of that site from 2001, but that version is long gone, and it doesn't work on the Internet Archive. Hopefully someone can back up all of it's goodies... However, I will miss Bioniclestory.com. I used to have it bookmarked, when the serial updates were regular. I have all those saved, of course, but it's sad to see it go. I though maybe they had forgotten that these places existed.

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

Well, this is the final blow. RIP Bionicle. You will be missed. I just hope LEGO knows how lucky they are to have made a successful toy theme and story for 9 years and have people actually enjoyed it, grew up with it, played with it and more. With that said, Bionicle, we will be waiting for your return.

EDIT: Now that the BZPower's advertising rule is down the drain, I can announce that all of the Bionicle games have been recorded on this sight.

Edited by Mairanui

2xu8Ptu.png

I still remember counting down the days until it was updated every year, and then sitting down each year and looking at all the new features each update. I remember chating with my friend at school about the new game that was just uploaded, and creating my lego.com account just kanoka club. I remember searching the gallary's and looking at all the creations, even uploading my own. It used to be a site I checked every day to see if it was updated and every time it wasn't I would be dissapointed. I remember spending countless hours on the games and movie sections. I will miss you old friend and all the memories you brought to me, I'll think back to my very first website, Bionicle.com.

Bionicle for 2015.

Well, that stinks. I suppose that kinda finalizes the demise of Bionicle.

Then again, the LEGO Harry Potter site has been taken down during its downtimes, so...

Who knows.

But I'm more concerned about the serials, and if Greg Farshtey will continue them.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Alright, have just put the Matoran slaves bots to work on gathering as much of both current Bionicle websites as possible.I've already made arrangements for hosting and a domain name, so that shouldn't be much of an issue. After the current sites have been successfully published, I'll try to get as much snapshots of older versions as possible. Though sadly, due to legal and practical reasons, I'm forced to change the following things about the site:

• [*]The copyright notice will be changed, so that whenever you buy an old set at some long-forgotten toystore, I will get
all the money. Nah, just going to add a part saying I don't own any of the content, etc. etc.[*]Lego's site-wide header. Not only would it be rather useless and look like like a phishing-attempt, but it's also a nice spot to put something that allows you to navigate between different versions of the site. Oh, and maybe to put a small notice leading to a blog entry here on BZP, in case of a severe error or anything else that has to be brought to the reader's attention.

Miata, if you have multiple snapshots of Bionicle.com and BionicleStory.com, could you please contact me through AIM or Skype? I believe my username can be found at my profile.

Edited by Zeene

iquXD5X.png

I have to admit, I'm not saddened by this at all. It was always going to happen, and it honestly should have happened a long time ago. It isn't finalising BIONICLE's demise, or the end of an era, that was way back in 2009/2010 when BIONICLE was ended. This is just LEGO's websites catching up with that, although they are three years late.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

- Indigo Individual

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

I have to admit, I'm not saddened by this at all. It was always going to happen, and it honestly should have happened a long time ago. It isn't finalising BIONICLE's demise, or the end of an era, that was way back in 2009/2010 when BIONICLE was ended. This is just LEGO's websites catching up with that, although they are three years late.

- Indigo Individual

The issue here doesn't stem so much from the official BIONICLE site's demise as it does from the end of BIONICLEstory. That's where the sadness is mainly coming from, I think, because if there was any hope of the serials ever being continued that possibility just got a whole lot less likely, considering Greg can't post on BZPower and anything he does will now be "unofficial." I guess, like somebody else said, he could send them to the staff to post, I guess, so all hope really isn't lost.

-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

- Indigo Individual

The issue here doesn't stem so much from the official BIONICLE site's demise as it does from the end of BIONICLEstory. That's where the sadness is mainly coming from, I think, because if there was any hope of the serials ever being continued that possibility just got a whole lot less likely, considering Greg can't post on BZPower and anything he does will now be "unofficial." I guess, like somebody else said, he could send them to the staff to post, I guess, so all hope really isn't lost.

-Mesonak

I was referring to BIONICLEStory in my post as well -- while it was good to keep the serials going, they probably should have been taken down as far back as 2011, or alternatively not had new serials started. With BIONICLE over, it could have been predicted that the serials were going to die not too long after it.

- Indigo Individual

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Alright, have just put the Matoran slaves bots to work on gathering as much of both current Bionicle websites as possible.I've already made arrangements for hosting and a domain name, so that shouldn't be much of an issue. After the current sites have been successfully published, I'll try to get as much snapshots of older versions as possible. Though sadly, due to legal and practical reasons, I'm forced to change the following things about the site:

• [*]The copyright notice will be changed, so that whenever you buy an old set at some long-forgotten toystore, I will get
all the money. Nah, just going to add a part saying I don't own any of the content, etc. etc.[*]Lego's site-wide header. Not only would it be rather useless and look like like a phishing-attempt, but it's also a nice spot to put something that allows you to navigate between different versions of the site. Oh, and maybe to put a small notice leading to a blog entry here on BZP, in case of a severe error or anything else that has to be brought to the reader's attention.

Miata, if you have multiple snapshots of Bionicle.com and BionicleStory.com, could you please contact me through AIM or Skype? I believe my username can be found at my profile.

I think that's awesome. Keep us posted!

How to Follow BIONICLE

Well, this is sad. After the site is taken down, then Wikipedia will have to take down pages about Bionicle, since there's basically no source of information, really. Unless they accept BZP and BS01 as viable sources. Same thing happened with this toyline from 2004 called Xevoz.

Really, I don't see why BZP is still going if the Bionicle website is being taken down.

But let's keep it going. :D

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

- Indigo Individual

-Mesonak

I was referring to BIONICLEStory in my post as well -- while it was good to keep the serials going, they probably should have been taken down as far back as 2011, or alternatively not had new serials started. With BIONICLE over, it could have been predicted that the serials were going to die not too long after it.

- Indigo Individual

I guess that's one way to look at it. My opinions on the serials are mixed, because while it was nice to have the promise of BIONICLE's story continuing, all the serials did was open up many plot threads which will now likely never be resolved. Still, had Greg's work schedule not gotten so busy, we would likely still have the serials and this would be a much bigger blow than it actually is.

Still wish things could've ended differently.

-Mesonak

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Well, this is sad. After the site is taken down, then Wikipedia will have to take down pages about Bionicle, since there's basically no source of information, really. Unless they accept BZP and BS01 as viable sources. Same thing happened with this toyline from 2004 called Xevoz.

however, I don't think that Xevoz was memoriable, exactly. I don't remember hearing anything about it at all. Bionicle, on the other hand, was rather well known, what with four movies, multiple commericials, and a line to keep the constraction idea.

Edited by Strack

Previously known as Aiwendil.

-snip-

I think that's awesome. Keep us posted!

Thanks! =)In fact, that's what I'm going to do right now.Currently I've already got a local copy of 87% of all scouted files - meaning there's still 13% left in which my enslaved Matoran villages bots can find more files to download.

BTW, are you from Finland? Or perhaps from Russia? No worries, we've got that as well!

All pages should be available in the languages they were originally released in. Now be right back, just've gotta quickly learn how to speak Finnish.

Oh, and once again, I urge everyone who believes they have a file which I might have not to contact me either through a PM, a comment on my profile, or any of the IM-accounts listed on my profile.

iquXD5X.png

Has someone saved the PDFs of Journey's End yet? *thinks that might be the biggest problem* *mentally congratulates self on having already downloaded and printed it off long ago* *wonders if that will be helpful*

Anyway, I feel largely indifferent, although I still use the Bioniclestory site for serials reference occasionally. I probably won't even even think about it until I try to go back there, find the site shut down...:glare:

Or when I catch a BS01 reference to an official site that doesn't exist...:glare: Or when I try to watch the Mata Nui Saga and can't easily find it again...:glare:

*insert omitted S&T theorist rant here about the inevitable hassles...:P*

There's no real reason that should be a problem if the information on the page is cited properly. First of all, a lot of BIONICLE story info comes from non-web media like books, which aren't going anywhere. Second, citations on Wikipedia have a "date retrieved" field for a reason. That's so that if the website is modified or deleted the citation will still be accurate. Third, there's always the Wayback Machine. And finally, not a single one of the sources cited on the Wikipedia page for BIONICLE is from BIONICLE.com anyway (though that's not accounting for sub-pages).

Really, I don't see why BZP is still going if the Bionicle website is being taken down.

Umm, I don't understand what there is to be confused about. Just because the BIONICLE website no longer serves any useful purpose to the creators of BIONICLE doesn't mean all BIONICLE discussion is pointless to everyone. There's plenty of BIONICLE discussion here that has nothing to do with the BIONICLE website. Additionally, BZPower expanded its mission statement to include all LEGO themes (with emphasis on constraction themes) a while back, so even if everyone here collectively decided all BIONICLE discussion should cease, there's no reason BZPower would need to shut down.

Seeing as Bionicle isn't coming back, who cares? It's not like those websites were being updated, anyway. I'm actually kind of surprised that they didn't get around to doing this sooner...

On a different note, if the current incarnation of the Hero Factory website is indicative of the quality of Lego's new "website technology," then it'll be a dark future for us Lego fans.

Edited by Toa Zaz

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I can't figure out how to get Journey's End off the website. I do have it printed out somewhere, but I lost the original file. Someone should find out if it is okay to post it to BS01 now that the Bionicle website is no more.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

On a different note, if the current incarnation of the Hero Factory website is indicative of the quality of Lego's new "website technology," then it'll be a dark future for us Lego fans.

I'll agree with you there. The Hero Factory website is just atrocious. :lol:

Man, the BIONICLE site always had really nice updates every year...[/nostalgia]

-Mesonak

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

I can't figure out how to get Journey's End off the website. I do have it printed out somewhere, but I lost the original file. Someone should find out if it is okay to post it to BS01 now that the Bionicle website is no more.

Go to the Bio code page, and type in JOURNEY1. That should give you the first chapter. Then type JOURNEY2, JOURNEY3, and so on until you have the whole book, epilogue included. I think the last one is JOURNEY11.

Seeing as Bionicle isn't coming back, who cares? It's not like those websites were being updated, anyway. I'm actually kind of surprised that they didn't get around to doing this sooner...

Um, I care.

Oh, geez, that site is horrible!

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Go to the Bio code page, and type in JOURNEY1. That should give you the first chapter. Then type JOURNEY2, JOURNEY3, and so on until you have the whole book, epilogue included. I think the last one is JOURNEY11.

Thanks. I could not find the Bio Code section at first, but Googling it worked.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I can't enter the BIO Codes :'(

didact.jpg

Has someone saved the PDFs of Journey's End yet?

Yeah, now would be a great time to save all the various story sources to your computer, if you haven't yet. It's all pretty easy to find on the internet, except for Journey's End, which is only on Bionicle.com. I personally compiled the separate chapters of Journey's End into a single 59-page PDF.

Make sure you do JOURNEY (no numbers) as well. That's the prologue.

I can't enter the BIO Codes :'(

You have to have a Lego.com account.

Edited by Zestanor

How to Follow BIONICLE