• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Bionicle Websites to be Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Nick Silverpen

Nick Silverpen
  • Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 31-May 04
  • 2,212 posts
  •  

Posted May 31 2013 - 03:28 PM

I was pleasantly surprised to still find Gravity Hurts up there. Glad I got that out of the way.

Honestly, I think it's a relief that this day has come. I've seen a lot of phases on this site since the cancellation, and I guess it's time to finally shut down the site. It had a great run, the 2003 site layout was amazing, but I guess all good things come to an end. 

#82 Offline Obsessionist

Obsessionist
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • World's Only Gnomish Hylian

• 28-January 10
  • 1,282 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted May 31 2013 - 03:31 PM

I've been wondering when they were going down for a while.  It makes me very sad.  I have no doubt our heroic fans will rescue the important stuff, though.

Posted Image

#83 Offline Zuunu

Zuunu
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Seeker

• 12-January 09
  • 249 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 03:33 PM

I've been wondering when they were going down for a while.  It makes me very sad.  I have no doubt our heroic fans will rescue the important stuff, though.

As a matter of fact, the backup is currently 95% done. After that, all that's left to do is add a massive notice saying "Uhhmmm hey we don't own this stuff, so please don't sue us, mmmkay?", and upload everything.

"The rumours of my signature have been greatly exaggerated."

#84 Offline Toa Zaz

Toa Zaz
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 14-July 10
  • 738 posts
  •  

Posted May 31 2013 - 04:14 PM

This would be a great time, legality permitting, to post the full Journey's End on Bioniclesector01...

#85 Offline Lewigi

Lewigi
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Senior Staff

• 25-March 06
  • 3,432 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted May 31 2013 - 04:17 PM

Frankly, I'm not surprised. It's been almost three years since the setline ended, and the storyline has been good as dead for about one and a half. I have my own opinions to voice, but I think I may do that later. This may be the perfect time to write another opinion piece for the front page.

... Well, now I'm ticked.Still, it ain't over til the fat lady sings.

The fat lady has practically sung an opera by now. This is just the final encore.

#86 Offline Null.

Null.
  • Members

• 15-January 11
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted May 31 2013 - 04:18 PM

As long as there are BZP and BS01, Bionicle will still be alive. Even if they die, as long as one fan remembers it fondly it will still be alive.

#87 Offline Chro

Chro
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 07-August 12
  • 2,130 posts
  •  

Posted May 31 2013 - 04:22 PM

Really, I don't see why BZP is still going if the Bionicle website is being taken down.

Well that's a silly assessment. :/

"I guess you can't kill what's already dead."

#88 Offline Gatanui

Gatanui
  • Reporters
  • Senior News Finder

• 31-July 05
  • 11,171 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted May 31 2013 - 04:25 PM

[color=#990000;]It had to happen, sooner or later, and frankly, I can't blame LEGO for it. Honestly, I don't really care too much, all significant content has been saved elsewhere and plus, there is still the Wayback Machine and as long as they keep the domains or at least the BIONICLE.com domain it's okay, though I guess this confirms BIONICLE isn't going to return anytime soon.[color=#000080;]-Gata Posted Image[/color][/color]

- Gata signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

#89 Offline Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui Defeated

• 14-April 02
  • 3,172 posts
  •  

Posted May 31 2013 - 04:55 PM

As long as there are BZP and BS01, Bionicle will still be alive. Even if they die, as long as one fan remembers it fondly it will still be alive.

Many people fondly remember Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse; does that mean they're still alive?

#90 Offline Baltarc

Baltarc
  • Premier Member
  • FFM OTC Winner

• 06-August 10
  • 1,715 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 05:37 PM

A bit sad for sentimental reasons, I suppose, but for practical purposes it makes sense. 

Posted Image

#91 Offline Null.

Null.
  • Members

• 15-January 11
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted May 31 2013 - 05:52 PM

Kohran, if you classify alive as breathing and having a beating heart then Bionicle was never alive. If you accept that I'm speaking metaphorically that it will not die until it is forgotten by all.

#92 Offline Zuunu

Zuunu
  • Seeker

• 12-January 09
  • 249 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 05:56 PM

Okay, currently I've backup up all the Podcasts, essentially finishing the complete backup of BionicleStory.com

The bots are still running on the main site itself, though that shouldn't take all that long anymore. Since it's nearly 1 AM, it's about time I drop unconscious on this incredibly soft surface which conveniently happens to be my bed. So yeah, except everything to be uploaded sometime tomorrow. Well, technically today, but still, tomorrow.

#93 Offline Doorman

Doorman
  • Members
  • Scavenger Va

• 22-October 11
  • 663 posts
  •  

Posted May 31 2013 - 06:22 PM

what will the website's URL be? once you get back from sleeping, of course

2qt8uwy.jpg

Here's a webcomic you might want to check out.

Like a cross between X-men and ghostbusters.

Except everyone is 12.

I played Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. PM me if you do as well!

#94 Offline TheSkeletonMan939

TheSkeletonMan939
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 06-April 10
  • 1,728 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 08:16 PM

Okay, currently I've backup up all the Podcasts, essentially finishing the complete backup of BionicleStory.com

The bots are still running on the main site itself, though that shouldn't take all that long anymore. Since it's nearly 1 AM, it's about time I drop unconscious on this incredibly soft surface which conveniently happens to be my bed. So yeah, except everything to be uploaded sometime tomorrow. Well, technically today, but still, tomorrow.

Are you archiving the 2007 version of the site as well? I loved that layout.

soundtracks.jpg

#95 Offline Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members

• 14-April 02
  • 3,172 posts
  •  

Posted May 31 2013 - 08:21 PM

Kohran, if you classify alive as breathing and having a beating heart then Bionicle was never alive. If you accept that I'm speaking metaphorically that it will not die until it is forgotten by all.

The point I'm trying to make is that remembering something doesn't keep it alive. Someone or something 'dies', either literally or metaphorically, when they/it stops living, or being active, or existing (whichever phrase you find appropriate). When it stops being remembered, what dies is the memory of it, not it itself.

Bionicle was a franchise of sets and story. Its "being alive" was when sets were on shelves and story was being told. Now the sets have vanished and the story is stagnant, hence Bionicle is dead.

Now, of course everyone who loved the line shouldn't forget about it. Also, unlike human beings, there's the possibility of it one day being alive again.

#96 Offline King of Dust

King of Dust
  • Premier Member
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 28-June 12
  • 1,380 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 08:33 PM

The point I'm trying to make is that remembering something doesn't keep it alive. Someone or something 'dies', either literally or metaphorically, when they/it stops living, or being active, or existing (whichever phrase you find appropriate). When it stops being remembered, what dies is the memory of it, not it itself.

Bionicle was a franchise of sets and story. Its "being alive" was when sets were on shelves and story was being told. Now the sets have vanished and the story is stagnant, hence Bionicle is dead.

Now, of course everyone who loved the line shouldn't forget about it. Also, unlike human beings, there's the possibility of it one day being alive again.

Whats the saying? Something like, someone is never truly dead as long as some one remembers them. I agree that its an opinion in that matter but then so is yours saying its not alive. It has ended, that is very true, but I like to think it is alive in some way, shape or form. Heck, there is masses amounts of creativity still being driven out from its "corpse". If that doesnt say something then I dont know what will.

#97 Offline Chro

Chro
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 07-August 12
  • 2,130 posts
  •  

Posted May 31 2013 - 11:43 PM

I agree with CC. I think, Kohran, that Bionicle is alive with the fandom, if not so much with the official sites or products. If Bionicle was well and truly completely dead, then why would we be here still? :lol:

"I guess you can't kill what's already dead."

#98 Offline Angel Beat

Angel Beat
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Senior Staff

• 02-April 03
  • 4,665 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 12:30 AM

Took 'em long enough. :)

~Everybody wants to rule the world.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

tailgunner001.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

#99 Offline ~garnira returns~

~garnira returns~
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 02-June 08
  • 839 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 12:37 AM

'Tis a sad day in the world of bionicle fans. RIP Bionicle.com  :crying:

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

My website: http://arra41.wix.com/zaro-nui ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

#100 Offline Soaring Strawberry

Soaring Strawberry
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 22-January 03
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 01:36 AM

There are few things that had quite the impact on me as Bionicle. It was my first obsession, my first rpg, and my first big, wild world to explore. Most importantly, though, with Mask of Light, it inspired me to pursue animation as a career. In fact, I still want to make an animation about it, someday. I remember visiting the web sites for quite a while. I remember one of the first splash pages with Lewa. I remember the Flash shorts from 2002-3. As time passed, more things were added. Music and audio-stories joined the mix, and ultimately the separate story page was born. I am not as nostalgic for the story page, but I did find it interesting at times. I am going to miss the site, but I will never forget my fond memories.

Edited by Kim of Sunshine, Jun 01 2013 - 01:41 AM.

Hi! I love drawing and animation yet I haven't drawn anything for this sig!

#101 Offline ~Shockwave~

~Shockwave~
  • Premier Member
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 08-March 10
  • 1,214 posts

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 01:47 AM

Many people fondly remember Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse; does that mean they're still alive?

I'm gonna go ahead and say Michael Jackson Isn't dead, he just went home.

This is kinda "meh" for me. There's not much useful there anymore, but it's a little sad.

Edited by ~Shockwave~, Jun 01 2013 - 01:53 AM.

fs_overall.png

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

#102 Offline Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members

• 14-April 02
  • 3,172 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 05:51 AM

Whats the saying? Something like, someone is never truly dead as long as some one remembers them. I agree that its an opinion in that matter but then so is yours saying its not alive. It has ended, that is very true, but I like to think it is alive in some way, shape or form. Heck, there is masses amounts of creativity still being driven out from its "corpse". If that doesnt say something then I dont know what will.

I agree with CC. I think, Kohran, that Bionicle is alive with the fandom, if not so much with the official sites or products. If Bionicle was well and truly completely dead, then why would we be here still?

Well, if you're happier thinking that Bionicle is still alive, then I won't go on about it. But I'd still say that - as a matter of fact, not opinion - Bionicle itself is dead.

I'm gonna go ahead and say Michael Jackson Isn't dead, he just went home.

I thought that was Elvis? :P

#103 Offline aljarreau

aljarreau
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 26-November 11
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 06:55 AM

This is it then.

All videos on both sites are disponible both on Youtube and on BIOsector01, and the games are available on the BioMedia Project.

The stories are also on BIOsector, but still, I'll miss the sites.

Currently doing screenshots of bioniclestory.com, will put them in a Brickshelf gallery.

:-(

Edited by aljarreau, Jun 01 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#104 Offline Zuunu

Zuunu
  • Seeker

• 12-January 09
  • 249 posts

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 07:48 AM

Currently waiting for the DNS to propagate and the host to enable mod_expires, while I'm applying the previously mentioned changed to the files.

BionicleStory.com will be the first to be uploaded, as it's the least work to do - not a massive amount of translations, nor a header that needs to be removed on every single place, which both have to be done with Bionicle.com

#105 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 21-March 06
  • 2,367 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 09:08 AM

I agree with CC. I think, Kohran, that Bionicle is alive with the fandom, if not so much with the official sites or products. If Bionicle was well and truly completely dead, then why would we be here still? :lol:

Hero Factory. Lego in general. A close-knit community.

Proud attendee of the Bionicle panel at NYCC and after-hours Lego store event! Feel free to PM me any questions about Bionicle 2015 sets or parts!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#106 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 22-October 11
  • 1,167 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 09:30 AM

Currently waiting for the DNS to propagate and the host to enable mod_expires, while I'm applying the previously mentioned changed to the files.

BionicleStory.com will be the first to be uploaded, as it's the least work to do - not a massive amount of translations, nor a header that needs to be removed on every single place, which both have to be done with Bionicle.com

What will the URL be?

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Updated frequently)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy. ~~Finished!~~

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

May both Mata Nui and Ekimu be with you, traveler, and let not Makuta shed shadow on your way.

#107 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Rahkshi Unleashed

• 05-July 10
  • 6,016 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 10:18 AM

If you are under the illusion that Bionicle is not discussed here, then you are quite mistaken. In fact, my primary reason for being here is to discuss Bionicle; I suspect I'm not alone. 

15939135659_434eee722d.jpg

#108 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 21-March 06
  • 2,367 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 11:18 AM

If you are under the illusion that Bionicle is not discussed here, then you are quite mistaken. In fact, my primary reason for being here is to discuss Bionicle; I suspect I'm not alone. 
Of course Bionicle is discussed here. So are other things. Just because YOU don't come here for those things doesn't mean BZPower would screech to a halt even if all Bionicle discussion ceased entirely. Presuming "Bionicle is still alive if BZP is" ignores the fact that many members have moved past Bionicle's end, and have no interest in prolonging its "life".

Proud attendee of the Bionicle panel at NYCC and after-hours Lego store event! Feel free to PM me any questions about Bionicle 2015 sets or parts!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#109 Offline Makuta Matata

Makuta Matata
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 17-March 09
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 01:24 PM

Even though the official Bionicle websites might be taken down, Bionicle's legacy will live on forever in our hearts. 

Edit: I am crying. 

Edited by Makuta Matata, Jun 01 2013 - 01:25 PM.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

#110 Offline Diebeq

Diebeq
  • Members
  • Toa

• 12-May 07
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 01:31 PM

This is sad news, especially because this means that the serials will never be published (unless by Greg in a non-official way). It may be time to no longer rely on Greg or anybody, we (especially the BZPower community) should unite, take the story, and continue with it on our own.

If we want to preserve Bionicle, we can not wait for someone else to do it for us. For some time I have realized that LEGO is not going to make any effort (and makes sense). We should not see this as a final death for Bionicle, but as an opportunity to take it under our care.

Lots of fan communities are kept alive by the fans themselves; it is an example we should follow.

banner_copia.png

deriahk_by_diebeq5b-d3gqq4a.png

#111 Offline Dual Cee

Dual Cee
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 22-October 12
  • 1,306 posts

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 01:33 PM

Making a Backup of both sites now...

Will release it for public download soon.

I'm back!

#112 Offline Ryuujin

Ryuujin
  • Premier Member
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 23-September 06
  • 1,588 posts

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 01:40 PM

"Whither is Bionicle?" he cried; "I will tell you. We have killed it - you and I. All of us are its murderers."

[ my blog ] + [ my profile ] + [ contact ] + [ last.fm ] 

lovely topics you should consider posting in:

[ official music topic ] + [ official music collection topic ] + [ official metal topic ]

#113 Offline Sir Guurahk The Third

Sir Guurahk The Third
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 13-December 11
  • 506 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 02:05 PM

I know I left but because of how dire the sitation is...

As for me, I don't really care, considering all of the 2001-2010 media have already been ripped and saved.

Still, it's a shame. I'm working on a rip of the BIONICLE.com site which is coming along pretty good, just some CSS that is refusing to work. Should be done in a day or two. It should stream right, while not sure if it will work as a download quite right.. (JMMB already made a rip of BIONICLEStory.com)

Also, to me it is like LEGO is saying "Stop bugging us. Let this show you we won't bring it back"

Edited by Predator - Jungle Hunter, Jun 01 2013 - 02:11 PM.

-G u u R a h K

#114 Offline KlakWest

KlakWest
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 26-September 08
  • 1,108 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 02:09 PM

It's a shame. :( It had a good run while it lasted. I can definitely see why they're shutting it down. At least we have all of the games and story info saved up somewhere. 

Still, it's a shame. 

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

Happy Hanukkah!

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

There are no strings on me.

#115 Offline Canama

Canama
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Mata Nuian Protector

• 13-March 05
  • 1,654 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 02:51 PM

Frankly, I'm not surprised. It's been almost three years since the setline ended, and the storyline has been good as dead for about one and a half. I have my own opinions to voice, but I think I may do that later. This may be the perfect time to write another opinion piece for the front page.

... Well, now I'm ticked.Still, it ain't over til the fat lady sings.

The fat lady has practically sung an opera by now. This is just the final encore.

Pretty much, and this is why I don't really care.

Had this been a sudden thing, like we'd been getting all this story content and suddenly OH NO IT'S GONE then I'd mind, but as it stands they may as well have taken bionicle.com proper off in summer 2010 and bioniclestory.com sometime in 2011.

Bionicle's dead, guys. There's no point in wasting time moaning about it.

2isotop_146.png

#116 Offline Space: Ocean of Awe

Space: Ocean of Awe
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 12-January 11
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 02:53 PM

If only today was April first. I guess it was only a matter of time. I expect the tears to flow soon...I hope someone downloads it and uploads It at some later date.=(

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

#117 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member

• 01-April 07
  • 3,100 posts

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 05:05 PM

To be honest I rarely used the Bionicle website, and never found any fun or engagement on the site. I used Bioniclestory even less so. I never read the serials, except maybe the first sentence on one while patrolling pages on BS01. And even since Bionicle reached its end in 2010, I don't even see a need in going to the sites, really.  :confused:  

Of course Bionicle is discussed here. So are other things. Just because YOU don't come here for those things doesn't mean BZPower would screech to a halt even if all Bionicle discussion ceased entirely. Presuming "Bionicle is still alive if BZP is" ignores the fact that many members have moved past Bionicle's end, and have no interest in prolonging its "life".

I can vouch for this. The last time I had a real discussion about Bionicle here was... never, actually. Even on the old forums, most anything I posted was in LEGO General Discussion.

Edited by Meiko, Jun 01 2013 - 05:11 PM.

--
Meiko - @georgebarnick
LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset
Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#118 Offline Kitania

Kitania
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • pretty pretty princess

• 15-March 06
  • 8,487 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 06:26 PM

i thought these sites went down a long while ago actually 

though it's kinda inevitable considering that space takes money and it'd be more cost efficient to just recycle the space to use for other themes than pay for more space

rainbow-flag2.jpgnezumixsion.jpgrainbow-flag2.jpg

#119 Offline Scanty Demon

Scanty Demon
  • Premier Member
  • Steely Visionary

• 21-April 10
  • 361 posts

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 07:46 PM

"Whither is Bionicle?" he cried; "I will tell you. We have killed it - you and I. All of us are its murderers."

[color=#00cc33;]You know, I wonder how people will react to the actual [font="verdana, geneva, helvetica;font-size:small;"]Nietzsche quote though it is written in a book of fiction so take that as you will.[/color][/font]

[color=#00cc33;][font="verdana, geneva, helvetica;font-size:small;"]On the subject at hand I was wondering when they would shut the Bionicle website down. Frankly I'm okay with it since nothing was ever updated after the Mata Nui Chronicles ended which infuriated me a bit. I really do hope they preserve the flash animations or the recaps I liked those a lot back in the day.[/color][/font]

NGX30lD.png

#120 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Rahkshi Unleashed

• 05-July 10
  • 6,016 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 08:01 PM

To be honest I rarely used the Bionicle website, and never found any fun or engagement on the site. I used Bioniclestory even less so. I never read the serials, except maybe the first sentence on one while patrolling pages on BS01. And even since Bionicle reached its end in 2010, I don't even see a need in going to the sites, really.  :confused:  

I can vouch for this. The last time I had a real discussion about Bionicle here was... never, actually. Even on the old forums, most anything I posted was in LEGO General Discussion.

I had a real discussion about Bionicle here yesterday, actually. If you don't want to discuss Bionicle, that's your business, but I personally doubt that either of you are the majority of this website's population. 

15939135659_434eee722d.jpg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users