Bionicle Websites to be Shut Down

Well, as far as I can tell, no children are actually following the new storyline of Hero Factory, and as I said before, they have two other themes with simpler stories, Ninjago and Chima. With this, added to the fact that they are now running consecutive action figure lines, the end of Bionicle just seems like it was aimless to me.

The Hero Factory story is so simple and uninteresting that most of its fans (younger kids) don't even care to follow the story, I would presume.

Bliss.png

Well, as far as I can tell, no children are actually following the new storyline of Hero Factory, and as I said before, they have two other themes with simpler stories, Ninjago and Chima. With this, added to the fact that they are now running consecutive action figure lines, the end of Bionicle just seems like it was aimless to me.

The Hero Factory story is so simple and uninteresting that most of its fans (younger kids) don't even care to follow the story, I would presume.

That makes sense in TFOL logic, but more than likely, those kids probably wouldn't care about the story either way, BIONICLE or Hero Factory. If they don't have cable then they can't even really follow the story anyway, unless they know about and have the money to get the DVDs.

Hero Factory differs from BIONICLE primarily in that story takes second place to sets, which is the part of BIONICLE's legacy that it carries on. Ninjago and Chima take up BIONICLE's mantle as far as story goes.

Edited by LewaLew
How well will you die?

As long as there are BZP and BS01, Bionicle will still be alive. Even if they die, as long as one fan remembers it fondly it will still be alive.

Many people fondly remember Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse; does that mean they're still alive?
But Bionicle was a story. And a story can live on as long as we keep telling it.
It isn't our story to tell. It is Lego's, because they created and own it. Anything we write is just fan fiction.
Let me ask you something: Ever heard your parents tell a story that they didn't write? Did that make the story any worse? Did the fact that the person who wrote it originally has been dead for x years make the story boring? No, because it was a good story.

Perhaps I misunderstood you - I assumed you were saying we should continue it from where it's at (which is obviously Lego's job), but it seems you meant we should keep alive awareness of the story that has been told already. Sure, I agree on that, and the wikis and saved online content should preserve the Bionicle story for those who want to know it.

Edited by Sir Kohran

As long as there are BZP and BS01, Bionicle will still be alive. Even if they die, as long as one fan remembers it fondly it will still be alive.

Many people fondly remember Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse; does that mean they're still alive?
But Bionicle was a story. And a story can live on as long as we keep telling it.
It isn't our story to tell. It is Lego's, because they created and own it. Anything we write is just fan fiction.
Let me ask you something: Ever heard your parents tell a story that they didn't write? Did that make the story any worse? Did the fact that the person who wrote it originally has been dead for x years make the story boring? No, because it was a good story.

Perhaps I misunderstood you - I assumed you were saying we should continue it from where it's at (which is obviously Lego's job), but it seems you meant we should keep alive awareness of the story that has been told already. Sure, I agree on that, and the wikis and saved online content should preserve the Bionicle story for those who want to know it.

I still dont see the problem with the community carrying on the torch and adding to the story. There will never be an official continuation, but many members have explored what would happen after where we were left at. I dont think its Lego's job in the slightest, or at least, not only their job,

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Okay, y'all're all gonna think I'm nuts when I say this, even I'm not entirely sure about my mental health, but just hear me out here:What if we're wrong?What I mean by that is:What if it's not the death, but rather the rebirth?What if they're taking the old, crusty, stagnant stuff down to replace it with new, McGeeish, Bionicle-is-back(in black)stuff?Think about it: all they've said is that they're taking the sites offline in a few weeks. THAT'S IT.Like I said, feel free to call me crazy, but still, keep your eyes peeled, just in case.

This is totally possible - a BIONICLE continuation would be a lot more possible if it didn't have to deal so much with the baggage of the old story, so putting that behind us is definitely one step towards possibly starting fresh - but at the same time, I think we'd be getting our hopes up a bit too much if we assumed that a reboot was imminent. We can be hopeful for the future, but even if tearing down the old walls lets us reuse the foundation, that doesn't mean there are already plans to begin construction.

Unfortunately, Lego's "action figure" line could not continue under the Bionicle name any longer. It had to be freshened with a new name, and therefore a new storyline; a storyline that would unfortunately be much simpler and easier to follow for the younger target audience of Hero Factory. HF had to be new to appeal to its target audience of younger kids. HF will never compare to Bionicle, and I still believe Lego was wrong to end Bionicle.

I don't think anyone would argue that Hero Factory's story is better than Bionicle's, but as I'm sure you know, quality isn't what counts in business. Bionicle's story was great if you were a devoted teenage/adult fan who dutifully read all the books, knew what happened in every event, where in the universe every location was, and the name, powers and history of every last character. But the masses of young kids in the world don't care for complexity and don't want to pay for it. They want a fun, simple story that they can learn in a few minutes before they play with the sets. That's what Bionicle offered in its early years, what Hero Factory offers now, and what ultimately helps sell sets. The dark, winding, complex story Bionicle bound itself up in just wasn't an effective asset for a toyline.

Yeah, this is a pretty good point. Sometimes there's a difference between a great story and a story that has the potential to sell a lot of toys. There's some overlap certainly, but that doesn't mean they're one and the same.I think one issue with the BIONICLE story is that it was just too big for TLG to promote effectively. One thing that separates Hero Factory from BIONICLE is that rarely does the Hero Factory story feature callbacks that you won't fully understand without reading or watching years-old story chapters which are no longer being advertised. The TV episodes, and even Greg Farshtey's chapter books, are mostly stand-alone stories: rarely does one begin in the middle of the events where the last one left off.One merchandise-driven franchise that people often compare BIONICLE and Hero Factory to is Transformers, but it should not be forgotten that the majority of that brand's appeal also comes from the toys, not the story. Even if you don't have the faintest idea what an Autobot or a Decepticon is, there's something undeniably cool about a robot that can transform into a truck and vice-versa. The story provides a narrative framework for the toys, but it is not essential to understanding what the characters are and what they do.

Plenty of kids, and even some adults, are following the Hero Factory story. But there are also many who just don't care to commit the effort, just as there were in BIONICLE. The difference with Hero Factory is that it doesn't demand as great a commitment on the part of the fans. Casual fans don't have to follow the story, but they also won't feel as overwhelmed by it if they become curious about it. Stand-alone stories with less emphasis on backstory established in previous years mean that a kid can buy any Hero Factory book and start reading it, or catch any Hero Factory special on TV, without feeling like they're missing out on important information.

It doesn't have to be new.

Just because Tolkien is dead and the LOTR will not be continued any farther, does that mean it's dead?

That makes sense in TFOL logic, but more than likely, those kids probably wouldn't care about the story either way, BIONICLE or Hero Factory. If they don't have cable then they can't even really follow the story anyway, unless they know about and have the money to get the DVDs.

I've been doing research on my little brothers asking them to compare old and new LEGO themes. Maybe it's just because they grew up with me doing so much Bionicle stuff but they seemed to care a lot that HF didn't have as much as a story as Bio.

Note: I asked them to compare Bionicle chronicles #1 to Hero Factory: Secret Mission #1. The first Bionicle comic the the first HF. And the Mask of light movie to the first Hero factory TV show.

"Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero." -Toa Kopaka

I've actually been waiting for this. Once the site has been purged, we can forget all the fiddly things that made Bionicle convoluted and irrelevant. We can begin the illustrious cycle of NOSTALGIA.

Nostalgia is what allows something like Transformers or Doctor Who or THE ENTIRE DECADE OF THE 70S to be revered and enjoyed instead of being reminded of the things that made people lose interest in the first place.

Nostalgia is a cleansing fire that kills the deadwood so that we can grow anew.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I've been doing research on my little brothers asking them to compare old and new LEGO themes. Maybe it's just because they grew up with me doing so much Bionicle stuff but they seemed to care a lot that HF didn't have as much as a story as Bio.

Note: I asked them to compare Bionicle chronicles #1 to Hero Factory: Secret Mission #1. The first Bionicle comic the the first HF. And the Mask of light movie to the first Hero factory TV show.

There are definitely a few who do care very much about the story, otherwise LEGO wouldn't have allowed Ninjago, HF, and Chima to have stories in any way. However, they do seem to find that more kids prefer simplified stories. Just think about how Cartoon Network keeps canceling good superhero cartoons because toy sales are poor even though they have success in the ratings (largely due to older fans of superhero cartoons). In fact, the only reason any of my younger siblings really care at all about BIONICLE is because I was around to get them interested. Once my interest tapered off, so did theirs, though they still were in the target age group. My younger sisters even prefer LEGO Friends to Chima, and though they did like watching Ninjago when it was on, they never wanted any sets, and that's where the money's at.

How well will you die?

No matter how much LEGO kills BIONICLE, it'll just keep coming back! As we've proven for the last 3 years.

I haven't seen it come back in the past 3 years. Honestly, most people I know have moved farther away from it in the past 3 years.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

No matter how much LEGO kills BIONICLE, it'll just keep coming back! As we've proven for the last 3 years.

I haven't seen it come back in the past 3 years. Honestly, most people I know have moved farther away from it in the past 3 years.

He means we've continued it. No matter what LEGO does about it, we continue.

-G u u R a h K

What I'm saying is over the past three years, I'm seeing less people ambitiously trying to continue it and more people moving on from it.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

What I'm saying is over the past three years, I'm seeing less people ambitiously trying to continue it and more people moving on from it.

We REALLY DO live in veeeery different worlds. :P

-G u u R a h K

Just compare how many BZP members are active now in comparison to 2010. It's definitely gone down.

How well will you die?

Just compare how many BZP members are active now in comparison to 2010. It's definitely gone down.

BZP is not the only BIONICLE fansite. On other websites, the numbers are going UP.

-G u u R a h K

BZP is not the only BIONICLE fansite. On other websites, the numbers are going UP.

BZPower is one of the largest ones though—or at least it was when Bionicle was thriving. Even sites like BS01, the Bionicle Wikia wiki, and even the Bionicle subforum on the LEGO Message Boards are no longer anywhere near as active as they once were. The public interest in Bionicle has decreased greatly since Bionicle's official close in 2010.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

BZPower is one of the largest ones though—or at least it was when Bionicle was thriving. Even sites like BS01, the Bionicle Wikia wiki, and even the Bionicle subforum on the LEGO Message Boards are no longer anywhere near as active as they once were. The public interest in Bionicle has decreased greatly since Bionicle's official close in 2010.

I'm not talking about those websites, silly. :P

Keep trying.

-G u u R a h K

this is so surreal, a toy franchise is dead and people are arguing over how rotten the carcass is wow

BIONICLE. Is. Not. Just. A. Toy.

It's like saying you are just a person.

i know it's not just a toy that's why i called it a 'toy franchise'

It was a toy. It was an experience. It was adventure, fantastical real-life roleplays with a figure in your hand, creativity, taking every aspect of the human up to a whole new level; it was simple, sound and mind-bogglingly complex; it was joy, good times and oh also did I mention at conventions sometimes people give you free food?

iquXD5X.png

this is so surreal, a toy franchise is dead and people are arguing over how rotten the carcass is wow

It was a toy. It was an experience. It was adventure, fantastical real-life roleplays with a figure in your hand, creativity, taking every aspect of the human up to a whole new level; it was simple, sound and mind-bogglingly complex; it was joy, good times and oh also did I mention at conventions sometimes people give you free food?

The best thing is you're also describing Barbie dolls

bring back "an cool dude"

That's your opinion on it. It was never more than a toy and an occasional hobby for me.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

The best thing is you're also describing Barbie dolls

Coming soon: Barbonicle 2016.

iquXD5X.png

I know! We True Fans of Bionicle need to stop arguing over how dead it is and start arguing over why it's dead! Did BIONICLE die of natural causes, or did Greg shoot it with a poison bullet? Or was it something it ate? I demand a full autopsy! Edited by Gerlicky

I know! We True Fans of Bionicle need to stop arguing over how dead it is and start arguing over why it's dead! Did BIONICLE die of natural causes, or did Greg shoot it with a poison bullet? Or was it something it ate? I demand a full autopsy!

Well, we do know it was killed prematurely (more story was planned), and, at least from the vantage point I'm sitting at, unfortunately rather needlessly.

I know! We True Fans of Bionicle need to stop arguing over how dead it is and start arguing over why it's dead! Did BIONICLE die of natural causes, or did Greg shoot it with a poison bullet? Or was it something it ate? I demand a full autopsy!

Well, we do know it was killed prematurely (more story was planned), and, at least from the vantage point I'm sitting at, unfortunately rather needlessly.

BIONICLE was originally scheduled to end in 2006.

But sure, we do want to believe it was killed prematurely. And it kinda was.

-G u u R a h K

Personally, I think it would cool if whenever GregF has the time, if he could finish the serials and somehow get them onto BZPower or BioSector01 despite the new restrictions on fan interactions - I think maybe giving them to a member who he knows is over the age of 18 to submit could work. After that, it would be cool to maybe see the Bionicle community continue the story on their own as canon - it may not be "official", but if the majority of the fanbase accepts it as canon, it might as well be. A cool idea would be to set it a few thousand years after the end of the serials, with new heroes, and the heroes of old returning in new roles (for example, the Toa Nuva now as Turaga). But that's just an idea, probably one that's been suggested before too.

I would buy that, if only for female parts.

heh, "female parts".Anyway, yeah, BIONICLE was more than just a toy. There's hardly a single toy out there that ISN'T. With almost any toy except for the cheapest knick-knacks, you can imagine that SOMEBODY poured their heart into that toy, whether it was one of the creators, one of the fans, or a collection of people with various connections to it, any created object has significance beyond simply its function. This is part of why the human side of BIONICLE — the people who collectively made it what it was, who improved it as they became aware of its failings, and who kept secrets for years to preserve its sense of mystery — fascinates me so much.But human creations tend to have human failings. BIONICLE was incredibly ambitious, and it succeeded admirably for years considering how much it set out to do (keeping the nature of the driving force behind its story secret for EIGHT YEARS requires a remarkable level of planning and dedication), but it couldn't succeed forever with such an incredible rate of story expansion and with such a dependence on its story. Eventually it was losing fans quicker than it was gaining new ones, and losing money at the same time, and that's when it came time for LEGO to let it rest and move on to new opportunities.We should remember BIONICLE for its successes, but we can't forget its failures or we will never understand just why it couldn't last. We just have to think of them not as failures but as obstacles, and remember that the obstacles it did overcome far outnumber the ones it eventually couldn't.

It was a government conspiracy. Look at the facts -

• Andrew (codename: Black Six) works for the US government...the US Military, no less. He's privy to all kinds of violent government secrets. What's he hiding from us? What's the government hiding from us?
  • Kelly (codename: Binkmeister) works for the Lego Group and does all kinds of dirty work for them...including bearing news like "Bionicle.com is being shut down." Was there a tinge of glee in his words when he reported it? You be the judge.
  • Andrew and Kelly are close friends, having worked together on the largest Bionicle fansite, BZPower.com. They're in close communication...suspiciously close.
  • We know the Lego Group wanted Bionicle dead. They've given all kinds of reasons but none of the stories add up..."Lagging sales" one day... "Need to do something fresh" the next day... "It'd run its course" on another... which one is it? Better get your stories straight, Lego. The fact remains, they wanted Bionicle gone...perhaps enough to kill?
  • We know Andrew and Kelly were in close communication around the time of Bionicle's death. We also can see, from contemporary records, that this period coincides with BZPower planning to diversify its fanbase and focus less on Bionicle. Coincidence?
  • You can add up the facts yourself from there. Obviously the Lego Group sent Kelly to Andrew with a special request. Andrew used his government military connections to plan a secret, perfectly-executed hit. Bionicle was assasinated by the US government in 2010. The blood is on the hands of Lego, BZPower, and America.

Examine the evidence for yourself. I'm just a patriot and a True Bionicle Fan, reporting real facts. Wake up, sheeple!

YES

I would buy that, if only for female parts.

Return of the Dreaded Nuva Shoulder Armor

...NOOOOOO

bring back "an cool dude"

The Nuva shoulder armor wasn't THAT bad.

Standalone? No.

Used as breastplating? fgdfgglfgjklfgdjlgfgjldg

There has literally never been a good use for the nuva plates for chest armour. And that is a factual statement.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

The Nuva shoulder armor wasn't THAT bad.

Standalone? No.

Used as breastplating? fgdfgglfgjklfgdjlgfgjldg

like.jpg I can't agree more.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick