Kanakalackin

Hi guys, this is the IIA Kit (I prefer it to be pronounced like "Aya"). The IIA stands for "Inika Island Assault". So, yeah, this is my first kit, so to kick it off, I've included Hakann sprites!

Hakann (Credit: TLG; Les Tanukis)

Red color shades (Credit: Damaracx)

Orange color shades (Credit: Damaracx)

Explosion (Credit: TLG; Les Tanukis)

Feel free to add anything! (I'll try to get a VNOLG Kit up as well!)

Edited by Phantom Terror

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Nice! You might want to add something for recolor though. Allow me.

EDIT: Nevermind. You took this sprite sheet off the game files. While this may sound like a good idea; it isn't. There is excess white surrounding the sprites, thus ruining most possibilities of using as a kit, well, at least this one that is, because you chose hakann I can't exactly delete the excess white off the sprite with out deleting part of Hakann's zamor launcher due to the similarities. I'll try any way though.

Edited by Damaracx 7.0

EDIT: Nevermind. You took this sprite sheet off the game files. While this may sound like a good idea; it isn't. There is excess white surrounding the sprites, thus ruining most possibilities of using as a kit, well, at least this one that is, because you chose hakann I can't exactly delete the excess white off the sprite with out deleting part of Hakann's zamor launcher due to the similarities. I'll try any way though.

I'm pretty sure you're using paint. If you are, try using GIMP. This file has a transparent background, but paint is horrible at recognizing alpha channels. You should be able to use these sprites freely with GIMP, Photoshop, or any other decent editing program. Paint just won't get the job done for you.

-Rez

I'm pretty sure you're using paint. If you are, try using GIMP. This file has a transparent background, but paint is horrible at recognizing alpha channels. You should be able to use these sprites freely with GIMP, Photoshop, or any other decent editing program. Paint just won't get the job done for you.

-Rez

I'm using GIMP. The white excess color is so closely related to some of the shades of Hakann's Zamor Launcher that The zamor launcher shades get deleted.

-Rez

I'm using GIMP. The white excess color is so closely related to some of the shades of Hakann's Zamor Launcher that The zamor launcher shades get deleted.

What white excess color are you speaking of? I don't see any at all. The background is completely transparent and moving one piece to the other is simple.

-Rez

-Rez

What white excess color are you speaking of? I don't see any at all. The background is completely transparent and moving one piece to the other is simple.

-Rez

The excess isn't exactly white but, here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SKAKDI/LEGO/BIONICLE/IIAKit/excess.png

Edited by Damaracx 7.0

-Rez

-Rez

post-103421-0-74086600-1370184806_thumb.png -This is on a white background

It doesn't make a difference once you put it on a background for comics or something. If you zoom out, there is no outlining pixels that are visible.

-Rez

Edited by Reznas

-Rez

-Rez

attachicon.gifBZP_SC9.png -This is on a white background

It doesn't make a difference once you put it on a background for comics or something. If you zoom out, there is no outlining pixels that are visible.

-Rez

Oh, I see.

I like the kit, but so many quote boxes. I wonder if I can see a Jaller in here later on?

The quote box thing.....I'm starting to think that you've made that into a running joke....

Well, I found a way to recolor it all without messing with the outside.

Well, I hope you all know how to recolor with GIMP because....well,.....

dark_red_iia_kit.pngYeah, self-explanatory reason. 11 shades total. This kit basically takes first place for the most shades.

Also, in your main post you might want to include credits for The Lego Group and Les Tanukis. They were the creators of this game.

1) This is not a sprite kit, but vector art that has been rasterized for the game. So you are not supposed to recolor it the same way you do sprites, with the paint bucket. That works well for a few shades, but not "proper" images like this. Use a hue/color channel shift tool instead.

2) There's no excessive white. What you are seeing is half-way transparent black; anti-aliasing. While placing an anti-aliased image on a background and saving messes up the image, this is on a transparent background and thus a graphic artist's dream to work with.

Nice work on this, Phantom Terror. If you can get the rest of the characters as well, we'd have a fantastic resource for making games and animations. :)

1) This is not a sprite kit, but vector art that has been rasterized for the game. So you are not supposed to recolor it the same way you do sprites, with the paint bucket. That works well for a few shades, but not "proper" images like this. Use a hue/color channel shift tool instead.

2) There's no excessive white. What you are seeing is half-way transparent black; anti-aliasing. While placing an anti-aliased image on a background and saving messes up the image, this is on a transparent background and thus a graphic artist's dream to work with.

Nice work on this, Phantom Terror. If you can get the rest of the characters as well, we'd have a fantastic resource for making games and animations. :)

I know, I know, I've been told that already.....

It has at least 45 shades.....

aa_ohno.pngSample taken from your image, pasted on black to show the AA. So no, trying to crop away the white after already saving the image on such a background does not work. Even though the background is now transparent, there is no way for the average user to removing the anti-aliasing that has already been ingrained into the previous, white background color. Certain plugins can attempt to convert pixels to black with transparency based on the level of white in them, but it's far from perfect.Attempted clean with such a plugin, on black to show the AA still present:aa_attempted_clean.pngIt would be necessary to obtain the original image rip again, and then make sure that the image is saved directly as a PNG with transparency. Edited by Katuko

Do what with the snipping tool, exactly? Save on a transparent background? If it's the Windows Snipping Tool we're talking about, then no. It just copies whatever is currently on the screen, so you won't get the alpha information you need.

Wait, you have the actual sheet at hand - directly from the game - but chose to use the snipping tool on it? Why? The original file would have to include either vector art or raster art on a transparent background. What kind of file is it?

The actual amount of shades that Hakann sprite sheet had was 45.

dark_red_iia_kit_45.png I know it's sloppy but, it was a pain to deal with.

So, the question is; do we try reducing the amount of shades by taking the on GIMP and reduce the shades or keep as it is.

If you go with the second choice it'll be suicide unless you can recolor with GIMP. Here Kahinuva made an excellent tutorial on how to recolor with GIMP.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=402586

Edited by Damaracx 7.0

The actual amount of shades that Hakann sprite sheet had was 45. dark_red_iia_kit_45.png I know it's sloppy but, it was a pain to deal with.So, the question is; due we try reducing the amount of shades by taking the on GIMP and reduce the shades or keep as it is.

These are not sprites, but vector art. Do not reduce the colors, it will just take away from the quality! You can recolor easily via a hue slider in just about every image editing program if needed.Color-reduced versions may look decent if you reduce them the right way (but matching the closest shades and replacing one with the other) but I would consider it not worth it since you still have AA'd outer lines anyways. I'd rather see people start using some proper (many are free!) image editing programs rather than sticking with MS Paint all the time.At least, if a reduced color version is made, don't make it the only one. Make the original, high-quality versions available if a rip is to be made in the first place.

The actual amount of shades that Hakann sprite sheet had was 45. dark_red_iia_kit_45.png I know it's sloppy but, it was a pain to deal with.So, the question is; due we try reducing the amount of shades by taking the on GIMP and reduce the shades or keep as it is.

These are not sprites, but vector art.

I just have one question. What is vector art? I've never heard of it.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I'm tempted to just let you Google it as that would yield a lot more info a lot quicker, but here goes.On computers, we deal with two major types of images: Raster and vector (with 3D as an arguable extra, but it falls under vectors as well). Raster images is the type everyone is most familiar with, and it is the type that eventually ends up on your screen as displayed by your graphics card. These are files saved into a grid structure of sorts, where every pixel is predetermined in color. Some image formats save transparency as well, and use different algorithms and ways of writing the file. Still, it all boils down to a pixel-by-pixel representation of what you want to show.Well-known raster formats are BMP, JPG, PNG, and so on.Vector images work differently. In a vector image, we do not define the pixels, we define shapes. When you create a circle in a raster editing program, color dots are automatically placed into the pixel grid for you. You get a circle... though it's made of tiny squares and saved as such. The raster image file saves, for example, a 100x100 grid where a circle-shaped area of pixels is defined as "red". In a vector program, we instead only save the info "circle, red, at x/y position with R radius".Thus, when you display a raster image, information is translated 1:1 from the saved pixels to the pixels shown on the screen. When you resize the image, the program has to guess what pixels you want to keep/expand. Many resizing algorithms exist to decide how the new image should look. Nearest Neighbor simply copies the pixel next to it when you scale up, and deletes it when you scale down, until the new size fits the target. Better quality involves blending colors together in an estimate of how it all should look. Scaling often destroys the quality of a raster image.Displaying a vector image is different. The file tells the computer "we want a red circle this big", and the computer draws that circle for you every time you view the image. When you zoom in or out, the circle is redrawn based on the file info to be of the correct size. Thus, a vector shape will always be as perfect as it can be, no matter how much you scale or rotate it.Common vector formats are SVG, and of course SWF (as in, Flash animation and files).The upside of vector is how easily you can change the scale and positioning of elements without losing quality. The file size is generally small, since only shape information has to be saved compared to a bitmap's requirement of every single pixel's color data. The downside is that since it has to be drawn by the computer every time you open it or change scale, it takes a bit more processing power. If you have a very complex vector image, saving all the shape info might in some cases also equal or surpass equivalent raster data. Keeping the quality for scaling and such would usually be worth it, though.You can also open a vector file, mark a shape, and then recolor it without having to worry about pixels having bled into each other or the background. Once saved, a raster image can only be changed on a pixel basis. If We have a red and a yellow shape next to each other and they have some smoothing turned on, then the raster image will have lots of red/orange/yellow mixed colors in between the edges to make it look nice. This is nice if you're done working, but a nightmare to split up unless you have the raster image on different layers in your projectile file (or you have an insanely effective Magic Wand selection tool). Meanwhile, vector will always save the shape data separately, and only do this smoothing when drawing to the screen. In the file, the shapes are still saved with just a single "pure" color.You may compare vector art to 3D models. They work pretty much the same way. 3D models are more dynamic but takes more processing power than pre-rendered cutscenes, for example. Thus, you are able to cram in a lot more colors and details and fancy-schmancy blur effects in a raster medium, because all these effects do not have to be re-calculated by the target computer every time they should be viewed.Thus, a full-HD movie and a giant wallpaper resolution can be displayed easily by many computers once it has been saved/loaded, while vector art has the potential of being both smaller and lighter AND heavier and more complex depending on how much detail you want in your image.For reference: The Mata Nui Online Game uses Flash, and thereby vector animation. It is capable of moving parts and zooming in in various scenes without losing quality. Also note that in Flash, you can set the display quality. Lower quality reduces the amount of shading, blur and anti-aliasing in order to provide faster rendering on weaker computers.

Edited by Katuko

These are not sprites, but vector art. Do not reduce the colors, it will just take away from the quality! You can recolor easily via a hue slider in just about every image editing program if needed.Color-reduced versions may look decent if you reduce them the right way (but matching the closest shades and replacing one with the other) but I would consider it not worth it since you still have AA'd outer lines anyways. I'd rather see people start using some proper (many are free!) image editing programs rather than sticking with MS Paint all the time.At least, if a reduced color version is made, don't make it the only one. Make the original, high-quality versions available if a rip is to be made in the first place.

I agree. I would prefer to keep it as it is.