Bionicle Conpendium

Crunchyn

FRONT PAGE! Thank you guys :)

Click thumb for larger image:

a_compilationthumb.png

More Photos:

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=277170

Edit: Added a book jacket, everything's all good now :)

Edit: it appears that i spelled compendium wrong all over the book, i will have to fix that, what i get for working so late...Here it is, my baby. A handcut, sewn, and bound Bionicle comic collection :)

I started on this last year, looking for all the issues I was missing seeing as I started liking Bionicle around the time of the Mask of Light Movie. Then came all the atrocious stuff that I did that would make you guys want to kill me. I cut off parts of the first comics so that they would be the same size of the more recent ones, and also removed the staples and punch in holes for the thread. However, school came and this was left in storage until I finally got to it this summer. Got the web-exclusive Ignition 6 printed out and also a table of contents. Sewing took about 2 days, gluing and putting on the cover took today to do. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied and stoked (except for having to cut those part then my friends and family were asking why didn't I just make it into 2 volumes instead? )Progress pics can be seen here and I will upload more pictures of the final product later:

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=272775

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Black Six
  • Upvote 1

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

You must sell these.Gah I want it so bad.But wow, that looks seriously amazing.How many hours would you say it took?

I can't quite remember. Like I said, it was a total of 3 days that I took to actually make this. Prep work (removing the staples, etc.) was maybe only one hour. Sewing maybe 8 hours in the course of 2 days, and gluing the spine and cover literally took a whole day from morning to night. So, 20+ hours, I guess.

This is one of those things I really wished LEGO would've thought about selling when they decided to end the storyline (still waiting on an Art of Bionicle book also :P)

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

Crunchy, you never cease to amaze. This looks incredible! I could almost mistake it for an actual book being mass-produced for consumers everywhere. Truly astounding bit of work, here.

But cutting some of the comics to fit with the newer smaller ones? The thought of that makes me cringe a little.

That aside, may I ask how you did the texture on the cover? It almost reminds me of mold that you sometimes find in older books. Gives it an older, worn look. Great job!

signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Crunchy, you never cease to amaze. This looks incredible! I could almost mistake it for an actual book being mass-produced for consumers everywhere. Truly astounding bit of work, here.

But cutting some of the comics to fit with the newer smaller ones? The thought of that makes me cringe a little.

That aside, may I ask how you did the texture on the cover? It almost reminds me of mold that you sometimes find in older books. Gives it an older, worn look. Great job!

signoffffff.png

Thanks! I bought some textured paper from Michaels, the art store and I just printed my cover off of that. Originally, I was gonna find some metallic paper and try to give the book a worn down look as if it came from the age of metal. For the mold stuff, I Googled aged paper textures and took one that I liked and tweaked it for use for the cover.

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

That's so cool! I thought for a second you were selling this because I would've gotten this right off the bat. The cover and jacket feel so right with Bionicle. And the UUD symbol and the alphabet is a nice touch. Looks pretty offical with the logos and all.

Now do a big book with all the chapter books from scholastic. ;)

TAK

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

Better than my collection, they're just in sleeves and tucked away in a Staples box. =C

Do you have all the issues or just starting after #13 or #14? Just saw the construction gallery.

And if you do, did you include some of the extras like the McDonald's "Challenge of the Rahi?" or the Metru Nui lunchable promotions? I'm also curious as to how you dealt with some of the mini comics like #10 or #12 and how you can justify cutting up D'anda and Sayger's. (He gave me a free print at ComicCon, bless him)

I hope for your sake you aren't bothered by the double misspelling of Compendium on the book (not the dust jacket though) and the fact that bottom of the Lego and DC logos should be aligned with the bottom of the book when it's standing upright.

I love the unique presentation of each set of comics, but I can't say I wouldn't love to a nicely fat volume like this as a lovely coffee table edition to compliment them.

Edited by Copper Empire

Better than my collection, they're just in sleeves and tucked away in a Staples box. =C

Do you have all the issues or just starting after #13 or #14? Just saw the construction gallery.

And if you do, did you include some of the extras like the McDonald's "Challenge of the Rahi?" or the Metru Nui lunchable promotions? I'm also curious as to how you dealt with some of the mini comics like #10 or #12 and how you can justify cutting up D'anda and Sayger's. (He gave me a free print at ComicCon, bless him)

I hope for your sake you aren't bothered by the double misspelling of Compendium on the book (not the dust jacket though) and the fact that bottom of the Lego and DC logos should be aligned with the bottom of the book when it's standing upright.

I love the unique presentation of each set of comics, but I can't say I wouldn't love to a nicely fat volume like this as a lovely coffee table edition to compliment them.

I didn't have any of the promotional comics unfortunately nor could I find them (Most of the early comics I had to buy from online stores that specializes in selling overstock/used issues)

The mini comics were sewed in as well; I didn't scan and print larger versions since I had them and didn't want some leftovers out of the book. I didn't want to have to scan all the pages and just have a bindery make the book for me, that's expensive and I really wanted something I made with my own hands. Really don't know what to say to Sayger because yeah, he's a cool guy (gave me a free print, also :))

I changed the rotation of the logos because it just seemed weird to me the other way and I've seen some volumes with logos like that (I could easily print out another book jacket if I want.)

I changed the rotation of the logos because it just seemed weird to me the other way and I've seen some volumes with logos like that (I could easily print out another book jacket if I want.)

I think normally they will be sideways if it's a longer logo, like DC's Vertigo, if it's a press, or the spine is really thin. DC would also most likely flip the locations of Lego's logo and theirs, since it's standard practice for the DC logo to go at the bottom of the spine.

The horizontal and vertical centering on both of them seem too close on the bottom, but again, it's your book. If you're happy with it then it turned out right. "Compendium" also is not centered under Bionicle, but when standing up it gives it more gravitational visual weight, so /whatev, you know?

How much would you estimate it cost?

If LEGO were to produce something like this commercially, I would guestimate from $60-70 average based on spine thickness (almost 2 inches) and from comic collection/compendium books I've seen being sold by Marvel/DC/TopCow/etc

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

• 2 weeks later...

I throwing money at my screen in a vain attempt to purchase it.

-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

You have earned all of the yes, my friendAll of it.Please add constructive feedback when you comment on someone's project. Let them know what you like or don't like about it in as much detail as you can. Other wise you might end up adding nothing to the conversation. -B6

Edited by Black Six

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

This is awe-inspiring. Fantastic job; Imyself would never be able to do this, mainly because I can't stand sewing for the life of me. I wish I could, though. It would certainly open upva whole other realm of artistic possibilities.Maybe I'll give it another go sometime - it's stuff like this that influences me in my own personal projects. Great job again.

That looks simply amazing! Great job!Although the thumbnail keeps sending me to a blank page instead of a larger picture...

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

Amazing. Lego definitely needs to make something like this!

Also, how did you make the book jacket?

Same way I did the original grey cover in the progress pics, I printed it out on 3 separate sheets, trimming and folding the ends where I would glue them to make them look more presentable.

It's... beautiful.

Seriously, if you could find a way to mass produce these, I'm sure half of us would buy it. (I would, for one.)

What kind of binding agent did you use for the spine? It must be really tough to keep it from falling apart again.

Edited by Naina

~KH~

wikinuibanner.jpg

I'll take your part

When darkness comes

And pain is all around

Like a bridge over troubled water

I will lay me down

Me wantee. Seriously, though, well done on undertaking such a huge task. Now all that's needed is to spam LEGO until they mass-produce it.

It's like, a box set, only for comics. I love box sets. Although I will side with the majority in that I disagree with the trimming of the classics. I would have scanned them and printed them off smaller.

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

Nice... Now I want to do something like this!

Did you include the Brickmaster cover variants from '05?

My Brickshelf, my Tumblr (it's not as bad as it sounds)
Current collection:
2001: 
Matoro, Onepu, Maku, Onua, Pohatu, Tahu, Lewa
2002: Tahnok, Gahlok, Lehvak, Tahnok-Va, Kohrak-Va, Gahlok-Va, Pahrak-Va, Kopaka Nuva, Gali Nuva, Lewa Nuva
2003: Panrahk, Guurahk, Turahk, Kurahk
2004: Bordakh (X2), Rorzakh, Vorzakh, Matau, Whenua

2005: Oohnorak, Rahaga Iruini, Rahagah Norik
2006: Dalu, Velika, Vezok, Reidak, Vezon and Fenrakk

2007Dekar, Defilak, Morak, Takadox
2008: Gorast, Rockoh T3, Axalara T9
2009Tarduk, Skrall, Tarix, Malum, Gresh, Mata Nui, Vastus, Stronius, Tuma, Fero and Skirmix, Baranus V7, Kaxium V3, Cendox V1, Thornatus V9
2010: Tahu

2015: Kopaka, Pohatu, Lewa, Vizuna, Skull Basher

2016: Tahu
Throwbot/Slizer collection:
1999: Torch/Fire, Scuba/Sub, Ski/Ice, Turbo/City, Amazon/Jungle, Granite/Rock, Electro/Energy, Jet/Judge
2000: Blaster, Millennium/Millennia, Flare, Spark

Star Wars Collectible Figures: Death Trooper, Sergeant Jyn Erso, K-2SO, Baze Malbus

I also have the Onyx Roborider and Jimi Stinger froBreakout.

If Lego actually sold this, I would buy it in a heartbeat

Me too!

I actually saw this on another art site, and immediately submitted it to a Bionicle-based group I run there!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

This is truly a monumental piece of work. If only such a work was produced by the folks over at LEGO. At least we have the Papercutz graphic novels.

:akaku: X-Ray :akaku:

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
- Ecclesiastes 4:12

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...