RPG Forum Contest 28

Black Six

RPG Forum Text-Based RPG Contest 28It's June! RPG Contest time! There's a theme: your RPG must feature a villain who turns out to be a puppet controlled by someone else.Any questions about the theme may be asked in this topic.Here's how these contests work:
    [*]The contest will be run every three (3) months, or four (4) times a year.[*]All members are welcome to enter the contest.
      [*]Each member can only enter one (1) Text-based RPG entry.[*]The only exception to this is that BZPRPG and RPG Contest staff will not be permitted to make entries.

[*]There will be three winners selected in every contest.

[*]The winners will be the three RPGs with the most votes after one or more rounds of voting (depending on the number of entries).

[*]Whether or not a given RPG wins or not, it will be allowed to run in future contests, with the below conditions and restrictions.

[*]For and RPG that lost a contest, the creator must make an attempt to alter and improve their entry before entering it in the next contest.[*]If an RPG has won four (4) consecutive contests that it has entered, it can not enter the next four contests. It does not, however, have to be altered before being entered again after its break, although the creator can do so if they desire to.
        [*]Example: A RPG wins two contests in a row. It is not entered in the next contest. It is entered and wins the fourth and fifth contests. At this point it cannot be entered into the next four contests.

[*]Other restrictions as a result of other rules or administrative action may prevent a member from submitting an RPG.

[*]At the end of the three-month interval between contests, if an active RPG does not win again, it will be closed.

[*]If a former winner wins again at a later date, the creator of the RPG can choose to continue in the old topic where they left off or start over again in a new topic.

[*]If the creator or members of a winning RPG break the RPG forum rules, that RPG will be closed.

[*]The next runner-up from the previous contest will be allowed to run for the remainder of the term.[*]The offending RPG will not be allowed to participate in the next contest.

[*]This system is designed to be more fair than the TBRPG approval process has been in the past, so absolutely no complaining.

TBRPG EntriesThe following is what determines a Text-Based RPG entry. The creator of each entry must provide at least:

[*]A brief introduction to the RPG.
      [*]A description of the setting, the time and place the events occur.[*]A history of what has happened leading up to the current situation.[*]The characters and creatures involved. Does this take place in the canonical Bionicle Universe, or is this your own island with its own heroes and villains?

[*]A description on how you plan to further to story.

[*]Does it follow the actual Bionicle story or take place in a setting of your own creation?[*]Is there an outline on where you plan for it go?[*]Will the players be allowed to choose the direction the story takes?[*]Is there an ultimate goal or quest, or is it merely a world for members to inhabit?

[*]Requirements for those wishing to participate in your RPG.

[*]Will members be taking the role of existing characters or characters you have created?[*]Can they make their own characters? If so, what sort of restrictions will be placed on them?[*]What sort of equipment, masks, stats, etc will members get when they begin?

[*]Rules determining how players will interact with the environment and other characters.

[*]How will the winner of battles be determined?[*]How will members buy and upgrade their equipment?[*]Will members level up? How will they gain experience?

The above information can be submitted however the creator prefers. It does not have to be delineated in this way, as long as it is all there.Contest ProceduresHow the contest is going to be run. Here is the format the contest will operate under:

[*]Members will have three weeks to draft and submit entries.
      [*]Entries will be posted in the Contest Submission thread. Any entries posted elsewhere or PMed will be disregarded.[*]At the end of this period, no further entries will be accepted.

[*]The entries will be grouped into as few polls as possible for the initial round of voting.[*]Each round of voting will last for two to three days (48-72 hours).[*]The format of subsequent rounds of voting will be determined depending on the number of entries.[*]The three entries with the most votes in the final round of voting will be declared the winners.

Any questions can be posted in the Contest Rules Thread or PMed to Contest Host Black Six.NOTE - All current TBRPGs must be submitted as entries if they wish to continue running.Entries can be SUBMITTED from now until 11:59 PM EST on Sunday, June 23rd.You can review other entries and discuss the reviews in the Review Topic.

This theme killed it for me - immediately the villains are seen as nothing but cheap checkpoints to the real goal and though at first glance it may seem like the suspense is upped a little, it really cuts it down right out of the gate. It's created, in essence, a Mandarin plotline that takes away all the thrill out of the reveal, before the games even begin.

Won't be entering.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

I disagree with this 'theme.' I hardly can call it a theme; it may be a commonality between the entries but it does little to make the games better or improve creativity. In fact, it may stifle it. A theme should spark imaginations, power mental cogs and make things interesting but this does not cut it. It's a required plot twist, not a theme. I don't like this theme.

Can't enter.

Dual Matrix, a good place to throw around ideas like that is in the planning topic, not here. :)

Completely forgot we had a planning topic, hehe sorry...EDIT: Can someone tell me where that topic is located? Edited by Dual Matrix

I'm back!

This really isn't a good theme. When the players already the villain is a puppet, where's the fun? where's the adventure and plot twists? Good RPGs revolve around a compelling story that keeps you guessing until the very end, IMO. I'm certainly not entering, although I probably wasn't going to anyways.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Well then. I feel sorry for those who can't work with this theme, though it does seem rather restricting.

However, I must ask: Can the puppet villain be an obvious puppet? As in, most characters would already know that the villain is more of a minion than grandmaster?

This could decide how I'm going to go about this.. :P

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

They call me Zakaro. You should too.

EDIT: Wait, why is the review topic locked?

Error on my part, now fixed.

Well then. I feel sorry for those who can't work with this theme, though it does seem rather restricting. However, I must ask: Can the puppet villain be an obvious puppet? As in, most characters would already know that the villain is more of a minion than grandmaster?This could decide how I'm going to go about this.. :PZakaro

Sure.To be clear - I said 'a villain,' not 'the main villain.' It could be anyone. I'm disappointed in the reaction, but then again, people always seem to complain about the themes - there's no pleasing everyone.

What if we still want to make the villain puppet thing a twist, or conceal our exact intention with using the theme in our entry? It will potentially benefit the plot and atmosphere of the RPG, but at the same time, it may not obviously fit the theme in the entry. Is it just taken as written that a villain will turn out to be a puppet?

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

It amuses me that everyone's going "ugh terrible theme, not entering."

:w:

I have to agree with you on this one. The theme is only terrible if you restrict yourself to the obvious. I do not intend to do so. Honestly, people, if you have so few villains that one of them being the puppet to another mastermind makes it obvious which one it is, you need to just make a few more villains. Or maybe do something completely unorthodox. I can think of one idea, but... spoilers.

This actually gives me a great idea. I really wanted to enter Hotel Artahka this time around, but if I had a secret villain manipulating the villain there then it would take elventythousand months to put that one together.

Putting this up to the players:

What would you like to see more? Waves of the South (retconning most of the events of the first because a] they went nowhere, and b] they would separate players too much at the start) which is swashbuckling, intrigue, and exploration... or another RPG I've been developing, outside Hotel Artahka, which is a sci-fi horror RPG featuring amnesiac player characters. Either one work for this contest, and not in the obvious way.

If there are any artists here who are interested in making maps or artwork, I have some stuff I could use illustrated. :)

Despite my numerous technological forms of expertise, I have absolulely no idea how to create a map using computer tools. I can, however, draw up a simple pencil map if given time and details. Only maps, though. That's... about the limits of my abilities. Or stick men. I can make a mean stick man.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Despite being averse to making things harder for myself, I would like to see Hotel Artahka.

:w:

I might need to clarify; Hotel Artahka is a third RPG which is also a horror RPG. I can't enter it this contest, unfortunately. So I assume you'd like to see the sci-fi horror, though?

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

A question to @Black Six - does the villain have to be obviously apparent from the RPG write-up? Or can it be a villain who shows up later in the plot, and then turns out to be manipulated?

I don't even create RPGs and I already have several ideas for this. I won't be entering regardless, because there's a pretty big chance I won't even be around at all in the next two months, but I am really surprised at how quickly people just give up on creativity.

A question to @Black Six - does the villain have to be obviously apparent from the RPG write-up? Or can it be a villain who shows up later in the plot, and then turns out to be manipulated? -Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

The villain should definitely be in the writeup, yes. If you want to keep some of the surprise, you can PM me with additional information about said villain rather than put it in the writeup to spoil it.