Remembering BIONICLE on the Web

Whatever you think of the news of the shutdown of BIONICLE's websites, the one feeling almost everyone seems to show is nostalgia. People want to think of the website and point out, "Hey, remember that, and how much fun it was?" That's what I aim to do in this piece. I want to bring to your mind those things from the past that we all used to have fun with on BIONICLE.com, and if there's anything I miss that you folks find particularly memorable, go ahead and post it in the talkback, for your instance of "Remember that?"View the full article

I remember playing Piraka Attack and shooting all those innocent Matoran...

I remember waiting 30-45 minutes for a video to load, such as the Inika promo animation...

I remember going on and to "research" stuff about the BIONICLE story like character bios, weapon descriptions, and story summaries...

I remember playing Battle for Power and freaking out because the Makuta side was winning juuuuust a little bit and going "OH NO! I GOTTA HELP THE TOA! AAAAAAH!"

I remember watching the Mata Nui Rising video and seeing the massive robot for the first time...

I remember playing BIONICLE: defender and getting to the same level and couldn't beat it and have to start all over...

I remember watching the Mata Nui Saga to see how Mata Nui came to be and what would happen in the Final Battle...

I remember my childhood on the Internet revolving around BIONICLE.com...

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I first discovered the site in 2003, and quickly ate up every story detail I could find. I loved reading the character bios the most.

The McToran sets were so cool that I ended up buying them online. Not long after that, we found out about Metru Nui.

I remember the first videos of the Toa Metru, and the way my mind was blown by the revelation of a whole new Toa team.

The Hordika animations are my favorite part about 2005, and I loved seeing the way Metru Nui had changed.

The countdown to the Inika was great. Each day, another one of the swords would light up, until the sets were finally released.

Then came the serials, and their cliffhanger format that always left us hungry for more. Just couldn't get enough of 'em.

The 2008 games were fun, but the best part were the videos. Seeing Mata Nui for the first time was incredible.

2009 and 2010 continued the trend of these years, and kept giving us cool surprises like the Mata Nui Saga.

I will always remember the way BIONICLE.com sparked my imagination and allowed me to visit another world.

Good memories. ^_^

I still remember my first time discovering the main site of Bionicle, when I was 8 years old, back in 2001. I did not visit much, due to my low english knowledge back then, but just seeing the images was enough for me to sink my then-young child soul to the joy these sets brought me. This site was also a big help on helping me learn better english, later.

2003 was the year where I can safely say that I officially delved into the story deeper than ever. Takua, Jaller, the Rahkshi and of course Teridax and Takanuva. The fight of Light and Darkness. The site was successfully building up my excitement through the descriptions it gave for the current story and he movie completed that year for me. And then 2004 came. A major change on the site's build and I still remember randomly finding hidden in it the teasers for the second movie. Also, these promo CD's featuring the Metru as some sort of detectives still remain in my memories (accompanied with the hilarious greek dub of these CD's XD).

2005 and 2006 stepped up everything for me with it's top-notch animations and web games, particularly the Piraka Animations. The anxiety of waiting the next chapter of The Quest For The Mask Of Light is a feeling I don't think I will forget anytime soon.

I could go on forever with this and excuse me for the overdrama there, but the bottomline is that practically everything I remember fondly of this site. We sort of grew up together. And even if it is shut down, I do know that there is one place it will never shut down from. My memories. And with it, Bionicle will also never die for me. :)

Edited by Labouka

the_medic_is_house.jpg

Didn't understand english that well at that age and i just remember being stuck on the first level of mnolg.Later in 2006 i loved the piraka animations and inika commercials.The best(worse?) memory i have is loving the vnolg. I just beat one piraka and went to bed. On the next morning i don't see the game and try some of the new ones. I got a couple faceless underwater freaks jumping around, dying to their own weapons and was like WHAT THE KARZAHNI IS THIS!

I remember my brother always going on the Kanoka Club.

I wasn't on the Bionicle website until 2005/6, so I don't remember much, but I always watched my brother and I made him play the Creeping in my Soul animation way too many times.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

Before I knew about BZPower, my only source of information on BIONICLE was BIONICLE.com, thanks to it I could learn about each of the year´s storyline, reading the comics that they put there even though the last years they stopped putting them all, reading the bios, watching the GC videos which were always amaznig, and playing some of the games like I specialy remember "Piraka Attack" that was a lot of fun.

BIONICLE.com will forever live in my BIONICLE memories...

i think the magic period was the early years of 2001-03. Seeing the ongoing story of the Matoran and Toa in the MNOLGs and Bohrok videos. Not to mention my first experiences of fannish glee as CGI images of peripheral cahravters (Taipu, Tamaru, Kapura) became available.

I loved the Kanoka Club, and MNOG is the best flash game ever. I remember waiting for each individual village to come out. I remember playing the Battle for Power game (AHHH!!! MAKUTA's WINNING! THE TOA NUVA MUST NOT DIE!!!) and admiring each years' website design. I remember repeatedly watching the videos and listening to "Gravity Hurts", "Closer to the Truth" and "Move Along". I remember reading the serials on BIONICLEstory, and admiring the artwork from the Mata Nui saga. I remember watching the movies and reading the comics.

Edited by Mairanui

2xu8Ptu.png

I remember checking Boniclestory.com every day, waiting for the next serial chapter to be posted. I always enjoyed reading the new chapters.

I remember watching the Mata Nui Rising video for the first time. It's still one of the best Bionicle video's I've ever seen.

I remember the 2007 Toa Mahri commercial with the song 'Crashed' by Chris Daughtry. That video introduced me to that song, which I still like a lot to this day.

I also remembered playing the Toa Mahri games. Those were a lot of fun to play.

These are some of my favorite memories from Bionicle.com and Bioniclestory.com.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I remember everything from the MNOLG onward. I remember those silly flash videos that told a story. I followed the site to the point where BIONICLE had its own band and web-exclusive contact was everywhere. In fact, I discovered BZP through a LEGO forum after I saw LOMN. BIONICLE.com introduced me to all the names, characters, and stories for the happiest ten years of my life.

There were those story serials I read to occupy myself. Their lack of closure left me searching for an ending.

The flash games were fun, too. Matoran Escape and the arcade-style Mahri games in particular were engaging.

BIONICLE.com, you will be missed.

I remember playing VNOG for the first time. The RPG-like elements drew me into the game.I remember first watching the Inika trailer with the "Move Along" song. It was... epic. I remember the 2007 site setup for bioniclestory.com. How I wish I could see it again... I remember the stories that were on bionicle.com in 2008. They were all awesome.I remember reading the Mata Nui Saga to the end. It was great while it lasted. My brain... just overloaded with nostalgia.

pWPTu7m.jpg

What I remember...

The story updates, the bios, the 2004 look...

Oh, and the GALLERY. I liked that too. Will the Lego team put them all on a Brickshelf account or something? I don't want my entries or any others to be lost. They were great inspiration for some of my own MOCs.

So many things. I didn't actually go to the currently up one much (though I have been more recently, soaking in the memories before they are completely obliterated).

I really loved the Piraka and Hordika animations.

I also loved the games, of course.

But I would say my favorite memory of all was "cashing in" Kanoka club points and buying the Rahkshi Rock video. So awesome.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

"Do you rem-em-ber when we first met I sure do..."

2002-3 was some of the best years of my kid life on the internet. When my neighbor and I would find out there was a new Bohrok Animation, or a news post, we'd run immediately over to one another's house. It was awesome. And then when we had to go on for Takutanuva instructions, that was a long day...I loved the newspaper format of those days, there was something attractive about it.

Oh and the collectibles section then! When you could look up the checklists. I loved lining my kraata next to the keyboard, and seeing what ones I had/didn't had.

2007, when the Bioniclestory.com launched, I explored that so many times a day. Honestly. It was so cool, that they were branching out. The serials were really short back then, does anybody remember that? It's weird, that now, we demanded such longer pieces. But all the videos.

Good times to Bionicle.com. Thanks for the memories.

Remember the time when EVERYTHING was awesome?

No, I couldn't bear to comprehend all that AWESOME at the same time.

BTW, something I missed in the story, remember the Metru Nui Ministry of Tourism site? I loved visiting that thing. I only got to see it after a code was unnecessary though. Unfortunately, it was already taken down when I tried to find it again.

Edited by LewaLew
How well will you die?

I remember everything....

But in all seriousness, does this mean all hope for the serials being finished is dead?

Probably. At best, GregF may someday find some free time and decide to write the other chapters and release them to BZP, and at worst, they're dead, and there ain't no Red Star for serials.

How well will you die?

The Inika to the theme of "Move Along" really gets me every time I think about it, and "Gravity Hurts" is just epic, but there's one song that just can't be beat, though sadly it's not there anymore...Do you knooooowwwwwWhat it takes to be a herooooWhen you've loooostA piece of love, a piece of youDuhduhduhDo you havvvvvveWhat it takes to beat the fear that'sDuhduhduhIn your heaaaaartTo grow up strong, and undo wrongTo grow up strong, and undo wroooong...Duh duh duhDuh duh duhDuh duh duhDuh duh duh duhAnd at the end of the 2003 animation, how the heroic music kept playing until you closed the page...And "Creeping in my Soul" honestly scared me with the ending...And the Toa Terrain Crawler on bioniclestory was very epic...And when the movie of Mata Nui rising was up, just, just... Wow...Oh, and the 2008 retrospective had its own nostalgia...

idk man

To be honest, I really don't have any memories there, except possibly the My LEGO Network Bionicle campaign. Back when I was into Bionicle, I rarely used LEGO.com for anything more than finding out cool new sets. MLN was sort of a hobby for me at the time, and I went through the entire Bionicle campaign, but nothing more than that, honestly.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I remember 2007, when the Mahri were released and the website updated to focus on them. I remember BIONICLEStory, with that /awesome/ 10/10 would have again Toa Terrain Crawler section. That part was fantastic.

2007 was such a great year, sigh.

We'll miss you BIONICLE website, we'll miss you very much.

Do not trust corrupted memories.

Oh, and the Vahki animations. And on the Mata Nui rising video, there's one part, amidst all the rock and other debris falling off his body, where it shows a comparatively thin piece sliding off a ledge before breaking in two. One part falls off, while the other stays on. It always irritated me how that little piece of rock was just sitting there on his shoulder or whatever, and I see it every time I watch the video.

idk man

Haha, the Kanoka club and the codes on the backs of the canisters... those were good times. It got a bit too easy later on when you could as well just read them on the canisters in the stores and then type them in... the earlier ones (was it the Toa Metru? I think so..) you at least had to put in the fridge to get to read the codes xD

I always liked the mini/online games most, though.

And the Singing squid. That was awesome. <3

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

So many memories, but don't know where to start. Late 2003 is when I first checked out the site I believe. My memories off, so it may have been 2004. Anyways, I remember making the Lego account and joining the Kanoka club. The print on the Rhotuka was hard for me, since I thought that would earn me more points.

I remember playing the games in there, and beating them all excited. The First Mata Nui Online game was good, and the only one I could beat. In 2005, I always anticipated the next webisode of the Makoki Stones. I remember downloading the songs which were great in those years. If only they kept them throughout the years.

In 2006, I always waited for the next animated comic with the Piraka in Voya Nui. I remember going to about Chapter 5 or 7 in the Voya Nui Online Game. Too bad I could never beat it. I also remember the Piraka Attack game that I always played at the time.

In 2007, I remember playing the Barraki game which was short lived when the Toa arrived. Oh, also before the new design was put up, I remember waiting at the site for the next Barraki, since each day that you found one, said a certain amount of days left. I remember waiting for the next Toa Mahri game to arrive since I beat the other ones.

I would go on, but it's a lot of things.

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

Moments that stand out to me:

Nothing in particular in 2001. It was all pretty cool, and as a kid I really enjoyed it. Looking back on the first flash-animation game, I can see just how much work was put into the story, and it shows, especially during the battle with Makuta.

2002 Gave us an epic fight between Onua and Lewa...for the second time! First Onua beats him up while he's wearing an infected mask, and then we get to see it again!

Also, the scene in which it's revealed that Lewa was wearing a krana BLEW. MY. MIND.

2003: year of the movie! Hey kids, you get to see all of your favorite heroes TALK. It was amazing!

Onuarock.PNG

I remember the Wall of History. That's where I found a link to BZP. Had I not, there's a good chance I wouldn't even be a member here today.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

I remember lil' Aljarreau, staring at those weird two heads, one blue, one red, (Toa Tahu and Gali) labeled with "Mata Nui Online Game" back in early 2004.

I remember playing MNOLG 2 as a little kid... I never got past the bridge in Ga-Koro xD I didn't understand any English at the time, so I tried hard to understand what Amaya was telling me :D

I remember failing hard at Stop the Morbuzakh! C'mon, admit it, that game was tough. ^_^

I remember playing Piraka Attack for hours and making a contest at my Primary School class: "Who gets the furthest at Piraka Attack?" :D

I remember keeping Piruk in my mind as the "coward" because he told all the Voyatorans' secrets to Vezok in the Piraka Online Animations.

I remember never getting to play VNOLG because you had to make an account (and I didn't know how to make one) to play it, and being stuck on the epic opening picture (I think it was Matoro and a Gafna)

I remember the announcement of the Barraki in early 2007 on the Official Site! With this little game where you could look for the Barrakis' symbols in the sea... I was deeply confused and annoyed when the 2006 Site got completely replaced by the 2007 one... God, I hated it.

I remember reading the Mahri blog. That was awesome. Unluckily, you can't even check it out on WaybackMachine anymore <_<

I remember watching the 45 seconds Phantoka Movie back in 2008… The nostalgia still is overwhelming when the BIONICLE Logo spins around and the “O” becomes the sky of Karda Nui…

I'll sure miss both of them. :(

Thanks for my childhood, BIONICLE.

Edited by aljarreau

whoo, memories.

I remember playing MNOLG II and never getting past ga-koro because I would enter nixie's hut and a blue water droplet loading screen would freeze (am I the only one?)

I remember the animations in 2005 that circled around the hordika and the MOL, and how I was so exited when one was released.

I remember kanoka club.

I remember the first time I saw the website, when I was 5 in 01. I had just gotten home with a friend from camp, and he had brought his toa tahu with him. I was so intrigued. When we got home he showed me the website, and we played through the drifts of mount ihu in MNOG. He's now going to college this year, and the website's shutting down. All chapters must end at some point.

Tu2d6W7.jpg