• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Issue Information

• Issue

Issue Confirmations

• Yes (19)No (0)
Photo

Hot Topic List

Posted by Black Six on Nov 12 2012 - 01:35 PM

The Hot Topic list no longer displays a list of hot topics on the front page.

If it's easy, I say we should go ahead and re-implement it (along with the member spotlight and Premier Member list), but if it's too hard to do, I would prefer to work on things that are more meaningful.

If it's easy, I say we should go ahead and re-implement it (along with the member spotlight and Premier Member list), but if it's too hard to do, I would prefer to work on things that are more meaningful.

I believe there were compatibility issues with the list in the first place, such as straining the servers and causing more downtime. It would be better to remove it altogether until we can find an acceptable alternative.

(Also, there seems to be an issue with this page itself. Why does it say I assigned this issue a priority of 0? I don't remember doing anything but replying.)

Edited by Kakaru, Nov 12 2012 - 10:37 PM.

When you make a reply, are there options on the left to adjust the issue. I don't think you should be able to change those though. Perhaps when doing a quick-reply it lowers it? Let's see what happens when I post this.

Edit: Hmm, nothing happened. I'm gonna blame operator error. ;)

Edited by Black Six, Nov 13 2012 - 08:34 AM.

Is the Hot Topic list even needed? Or is anyone even going to care? I don't think it's worth our time, personally, so I'd remove it as part of a thorough front page redesign.

-Gata Posted Image

@ Gata ~ People will care -- I've seen several members complain about missing it. But I agree that it's not really needed/worth our time right now. Maybe later. =P

Cadmium Kyogre P~M
Nov 16 2012 06:24 PM
The hot topic list seems to be just a bragging point for members whose topic(s) achieve the status. For those members who just want to see popular topics, there's probably a way to do that with the Search function, and if not, you can find popular topics with the filters in individual forums.

I like the idea of bringing it back. It would indeed start an extra kick of activity, especially in GD.

Makuta_of_Oz
Nov 16 2012 08:45 PM
I believe the Hot Topics list will help improve forum activity. Before the Announcement, I used to look at the list every day and often only post in threads on that list (I was less active then than I am now).

As a person who gets completely out of touch with GD, I would definitely approve of it being returned. However, should be too complex...

Toa of Winds
Nov 16 2012 09:55 PM
The hot topics list would bring some popularity to small and dried up forums, such as Comedies. It doesn't necessarily need to be a numbered list, but just 10 of the "hot topics".

Interestingly enough, the hot topics list is what brought me into the BZP Forums, and into becoming a member. I miss is, and would love to see it back.

~MN~

~Shockwave~
Nov 16 2012 11:40 PM
I would also like it back. there's a bit of pride when a topic you started makes it.

Didn't the hot topic list slow the old forums down (or something like that :P )?

Makuta Matata
Nov 17 2012 10:50 AM
I would love to see the hot topic list return.

I am learning PHP right now, if I find some free time I might try to recreate that list-thing

(I know, I'm way too overconfident :))

Captain Caboose
Jan 21 2013 04:34 PM
I like to see that list up. So I can see what it looks like, not the sorry no lists to show.

Sir Voltex the Blue
Jan 21 2013 08:39 PM
I'd love to see the Hot Topics list return, though I do believe there are other issues (outdated front page for one) that should take priority.

Than the Moa
Jan 22 2013 06:54 PM

I am learning PHP right now, if I find some free time I might try to recreate that list-thing

I suspect it's either a job that ran on the server or some kind of stored procedure in the database.  Aggregating the top hot topics each time someone hit the page via PHP would be a massive drain on server resources.

I suspect it's either a job that ran on the server or some kind of stored procedure in the database.  Aggregating the top hot topics each time someone hit the page via PHP would be a massive drain on server resources.

I know I'm not the pro coder here, but couldn't you make a code which daily writes a file with a list of hot topics?

If I may ask, could you revail the original code used for the list, the programmers here on BZPower will be able to spend there free time in recreating this(at least I would)

Edited by Dual Matrix, Jan 23 2013 - 09:37 AM.

Than the Moa
Jan 23 2013 07:14 PM

I know I'm not the pro coder here, but couldn't you make a code which daily writes a file with a list of hot topics?

If I may ask, could you revail the original code used for the list, the programmers here on BZPower will be able to spend there free time in recreating this(at least I would)

Well that's exactly what I mean by a job on the server or a stored procedure in the database.  Those are bits of code or queries that run at specific times.  Whatever it was that compiled said list (which i suspect was stored into a database and not a file) is likely busted due to the forum upgrades we have experienced since the time it went down.

Of course, this is all conjecture on my part as I don't have access to said code.  That's reserved for the top tier Admins and they're the ones that make determinations on what would be released or who can work on it.  It is highly doubtful this code would be revealed though.  BZPower is not an open source development project and it's code will mostly be kept close to the chest.

If you are interested in coding in your free time, I suggest seeking out an open source development project as they are always looking for additional hands to contribute.

Edited by Than the Moa, Jan 23 2013 - 07:17 PM.

Shadow Kurahk
Jan 31 2013 03:01 AM
It could also be that the main page uses a consolidated 'db.php' file that points to the wrong database.  :shrugs:

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users