• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Issue Information

• Issue

Issue Confirmations

• Yes (7)No (3)
Photo

Update Linking Policy

Posted by Meiko on Jan 27 2013 - 12:40 PM

Not trying to be too pushy here, but it would be incredibly helpful if BZPower were to loosen the restrictiveness of their linking policy. The policy says that we can't link to other sites with commenting systems, though that has been slightly loosened. As the web advances, nearly every site has a commenting system, so it's hard to avoid that.

Things like social networks though, would be quite helpful to link to. As LEGO steps into the social networking age, they have active accounts sharing new content on almost every social network and video hosting site. Not being able to link to these things, especially videos makes it hard to share updates about the new material in topics.

I believe users here have the ability to judge what they should and shouldn't link to on some sites, so restricting it 100% seems excessive. With commenting systems and social networks being the largest form of communication on the web these days, there are certainly going to be bad things out there, but there is also a large amount of good content that will be missed and BZPower will lose a lot of potential discussion.

What should and shouldn't be linked to should still be up to the staff, but all I'm requesting is that the rule gets changed to be a little less strict...

I wish there was a 50/50 or "maybe" button, because I honestly both like this idea, as well as wish that things be dealt with cautiously.

-Rez

This should be a suggestion, not an issue...

Anyways, yes. The forbidden site is a very good example of it. Really, it should be up to the user to judge what videos should and should not be linked to, the same way it is up to the user to judge what is okay and not okay to post on BZP. Yes, there's always the danger of an inappropriate video popping up as a related video, but seriously, I don't see many inappropriate lego-related videos out there, do you? Stumbling across inappropriate content is an innate danger of the internet, and googling an E-rated video game yields more inappropriate content than the related videos for a simple brickfilm. So really, as long as we aren't linking to inappropriate videos, we should be able to link to/discuss the forbidden site.

Yes, no one disagrees. We are working on some systems and policies to help us make a change while still remaining family-friendly.

Dual Matrix
Jan 31 2013 10:51 AM
Like being able to link to the site, you guys linked in the recent news stories

Guurahk Entertainer
Jul 25 2013 04:10 PM
And even LEGO itself has a video-site channel, and a Twitter. And if I'm not mistaken, Facebook as well.

locked issue

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users