• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Issue Information

• Issue

Issue Confirmations

• Yes (0)No (0)
Photo

Post "by me", from before I signed up.

Posted by on Feb 17 2013 - 03:22 PM

When I went to check whether some posts of mine had already been approved my a Moderator, and opened my 'Content' page, I saw that I had apparently posted in two topics that I did not even vaguely remember.

Investigating further, this post and this post appeared to be made by me. However, not only can I assure you it was not, there is also a tiny little thing revealing the impossibleness of it: as you might see, those posts was made on the 9th of January, 2013. And when did I sign up? Yep, February the 17th, 2013.

It seems like those posts were made by a member who signed up sometime last month, and while his/her account got removed due to the database rollback, the posts did not, and when I registered, I was assigned the former user-ID of the person who actually made that post.

If my hypothesis is correct, then this might be happening on a much larger scale than with a single user, said single user being me.

It seems like those posts were made by a member who signed up sometime last month, and while his/her account got removed due to the database rollback, the posts did not, and when I registered, I was assigned the former user-ID of the person who actually made that post.

That's exactly the cause. I have no idea how to fix this unless the staff change your user ID in the member database, though this would likely cause more problems.

That's exactly the cause. I have no idea how to fix this unless the staff change your user ID in the member database, though this would likely cause more problems.

Yeah, it most likely would, since now there's also my own content attached to this user ID. However, I don't really like the idea of two posts I never made being associated with me.

This issue will occur to everyone who has an ID of a previously rollback'd  member, and that amount of people would equal the amount of people whose account were rolled back, minus the ones who did not do anything besides signing up, so I don't really reckon this would be a minor issue.

Well, you could always edit those posts and add a note that politely explains that you did not make that post, you simply recieved the same user ID as the nonexistent account that posted it.

Well, you could always edit those posts and add a note that politely explains that you did not make that post, you simply recieved the same user ID as the nonexistent account that posted it.

Yeah, I think I'll do that, but I'd much prefer to see those posts removed. After all, there were only two of them, and their content wasn't really that valuable.

I was afraid something like that might happen. I'll have to keep an eye on things as I approve new accounts. Any time I do, I'll be sure to check if they have any old posts associated with them and remove them as needed. I've already done so with the posts associated with your account, Zeene.

If you see any more instances of this, please post them here.

It appears that all posts by a deleted ID that haven't yet been taken are assigned to names with a 'Guest_'-prefix. This could be a result of another issue, but if it's caused by this one, it would take as little as a simple Regex search to prevent this happening to any more users. (it wouldn't, however, resolve the issues for IDs that have already been reassigned))

That's the default behavior for guest posts, i.e. posts that don't have an account associated with them.

Is anyone still seeing this? I think it should be resolved at this point but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users