• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Issue Information

• Issue

Issue Confirmations

• Yes (17)No (0)
Photo

Archives Topics and Logging in Produce IPS Driver Error

Posted by fishers64 on Feb 23 2013 - 06:42 PM

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here.

This error occurs whenever I try to access topics in the archive boards or log in to the archive boards. I suspect that both topic and user data for said area is missing.

Yep, we know. I thought there was a ticket already, but I guess someone just posted about it somewhere. We have a backup and can restore all that, it's just not on our priority list as we're focusing on the main forums.

I'd love this to be fixed, altought the news stories issue goes first.

Captain Caboose
Feb 27 2013 11:10 PM
Argee with Dual, though I would like to see the archives. Feels,...strange somehow.

Actually, I would rather the archives be fixed first, as I have a couple of projects/logs that refer to and use it, but I understand that the world doesn't revolve around me. :P

I think everyone has this issue now. I wish that hacker that messed up BZPower never exsisted!

Canis Lycaon
Apr 20 2013 05:41 PM
Well, the news articles have been fixed. Are the archvies going to be fixed next?

The news stories have not been fixed, but we are doing what we can.

Rumpelstiltskin
May 08 2013 12:11 AM
That hacker made quite a mess, didn't he?

I really hate to sound like I'm being pushy; I'm merely curious - is there any hope of this being resolved soon? I'm attempting to compile a reference database for an OTC RPG we're planning to move off-site due to a decrease in interest lately, and over three years of the RPG is buried in the Archives. My hands are tied until I can access that info, and the project's essentially grinding to a halt.

I assume that I and fishers64 can't be the only ones wanting/needing access to the Archives, and they've been down for almost three months now. That's ten years of information, roughly four-fifths of the site (and the relevant portion, considering BIONICLE ended around the same time the new forum came up), that is completely missing. I realize that the main forums are more important, and I agree with that to a degree, but the news stories are still accessible - however awkwardly - in their respective talkbacks, whereas this is simply gone. I'm not aware of any other major problems with the site, as I don't spend much time in the tracker, but this seems to be one of the two biggest issues right now, and from what I can tell it's taken a backseat to everything else.

Again, I'm not trying to sound petulant or demanding, I'm just interested in seeing this fixed, or at least knowing when I can get back to work on my reference database. :)

~ Rumpelstiltskin

Unfortunately I do not have the backups so I cannot work on this directly. I've been working with Binkmeister to try to resolve this as soon as we can.

Unfortunately I do not have the backups so I cannot work on this directly. I've been working with Binkmeister to try to resolve this as soon as we can.

Sad to hear that, hower glad you are working on it, remember the excistance of web archives if you need lost files...

If the archives was completely restorable from web caches, this wouldn't even be an issue. It's probably better to get one backup file and restore it all at once. 

Well, since B6 wants all issues pertaining to the archives in this ticket, might as well repost the latest update to this problem:

At long last, the plague of the IPS Driver errors has been lifted from the BZPower Forum Archives.  Alas... all is not well.  Entire pages of posts are missing from nearly every topic.

For example, Dino Attack RPG should be well over 200 pages, but has been reduced to only 2 pages.  And even so, these two pages do not correspond to the first two pages of the topic; note that it jumps suddenly from Jul 22 2005 to Feb 27 2006 to Jun 24 2008 on the first page alone.

I do hope that this is only a temporary issue that will be resolved as the Archives continues to be restored from the back-up... I just hope that this is not an issue with the back-up itself.

EDIT: And... now it's gotten worse, not better.  Rather than being only 2 pages with 69 posts, Dino Attack RPG is now 0 pages with 0 posts (I apologize for constantly talking about just one topic when the whole archive has this problem, but it is one topic that I am very familiar with, so if there's something wrong about it, I'd be the first to notice).

I do hope a resolution comes soon, because it's nearly June already and this hacking incident was in February.  I do not mean to sound impatient, but I am admittedly quite frustrated about this whole ordeal because the very night the archives went offline was the night I was going to use them for reference on a project I'm working on, and that project has been delayed for months as a result.  Neither Google Cache nor Wayback Machine have full access to the archives, and meanwhile the individual responsible for this mess is proudly boasting that the archives are still offline.

As I said, I do not mean to sound impatient; I'm just frustrated that this has gone on for so long, and I apologize sincerely for that.  I do wish to see a resolution to this issue in the near future.

EDIT: And... now we're back to IPS Driver Errors again.

Edited by PeabodySam, May 23 2013 - 04:19 PM.

I want to applaud you all for the effort - I was able to log in to the archives yesterday. Peabody's right, however - the posts are missing from just about every topic. But I don't see any driver errors. :P

On the minus side, this fix goofed the web caches so now I can't get to much. :P

Lewa0111 Nuva
Jun 12 2013 09:21 PM
Well, the universe seems to hate me. I finally decide to come back and start working on remaking my old comedies again, and all of my old comedies seem to have shrunk. Like, majorly. Is there any chance the vanished posts will be able to be restored, or are they now lost forever? I pray to Hapori Tohu, Mata Nui, and every Great Being ever the second option isn't the case...

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

This is a very frustrating issue; I find myself wanting to find something in the archives at least once a week. I'm sure work is being done, but it really seems to me like this issue warrants a higher severity than "Low."

This is a very frustrating issue; I find myself wanting to find something in the archives at least once a week. I'm sure work is being done, but it really seems to me like this issue warrants a higher severity than "Low."

Not everything can be critical. At this point, I believe more focus is being placed on things relating to the "BZPower's Activity" ticket, such as updating the advertising policy, word filter, and front page.

EDIT: Ack, this is frustrating ... it keeps changing the ticket's severity on me.

Edited by Sumiki, Jun 17 2013 - 11:51 PM.

Rumpelstiltskin
Jul 06 2013 12:32 PM

Not everything can be critical. At this point, I believe more focus is being placed on things relating to the "BZPower's Activity" ticket, such as updating the advertising policy, word filter, and front page.

EDIT: Ack, this is frustrating ... it keeps changing the ticket's severity on me.

Well, I don't think it's a matter of believing everything to be critical, just prioritizing things differently. For example, I find changes to the front page, which has been outdated since the site's overhaul that created the Archives, to be trivial at best. I've never had issues with the word filter, either. Personally, I find half of the site being unavailable to be much more worrisome, and honestly, critical, than a bunch of aesthetic changes, but that's just me. :)

~ Rumpelstiltskin

Yeah pretty much that. Basically I just don't understand why this is only a 1 while something like this is a 2. Missing ten years of content is a bigger issue a few pixels of a dialog box being cut off, isn't it?

Don't mean to complain, but... yeah. This bothers me.

I'm getting regular topic views, but they are...blank.

Rumpelstiltskin
Jul 20 2013 07:02 AM
At the very least, if there's no hope of this being taken care of anytime soon, could we at least get progress reports or a timeline for when it will? Because I've all but had to scrap my plans for moving a CoT RPG offsite because I simply do not have access to the in-game history I need to paint a decent setting for new players. And I know I cannot be the only one who wants to go back through the old Greg topics, or reference previous work that is no longer available.

I'd be more than willing to set up a petition to get this ticket's severity changed, if that would help speed things along.

I'm sorry if I sound curt, but the last time we went this long without access to this content the site was being overhauled and the archives formed for the first time. That was a torturous wait, and this has been even moreso, as the information is just beyond reach. I'm really not angry, but I don't believe passively sitting by waiting for this is worth it any longer.

~ Rumpelstiltskin

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users