• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Issue Information

• Suggestion

Photo

Proposed BBCode: Loading larger images inline upon user request

Posted by Zeene on Apr 06 2013 - 03:09 PM

As we all know, when an image is larger than 500 kB in size, it should be linked to instead of embedded, to prevent the pageload from slowing down too much. However, that way the images have to be loaded in a new window, which isn't really preferable, though the gain in loading speed is most certainly worth it.
That was, until jQuery came along. One of the most useful JavaScript frameworks in existence, and already used on BZP by default - you don't even have to load another library.

Due to it's excessive length the full explanation of the techniques used for this suggestion have been posted in this blog entry. I'd recommend you read (at least the most important parts of) that before continuing here.

So, now that you've (hopefully) found out how and why it works, and read the reasoning behind this suggestion that I'm just too lazy to copypaste right now, you can read on to continue finding out about..... nothing. Yep, it'd appear that this is the end of this suggestion here. How curious indeed.
Oh, except for the fact that [eximg] would be a good tag to use for this. It can stand for 'External Image', 'Excessive(ly Large) Image', 'Extravagant Image', or whatever you like.

Dual Matrix
Apr 15 2013 11:00 AM
So I don't it understand it that fully, so in normal human langue this just means: Way of lozding big images in a page only when clicked on/certain setting is enabled?

I see a problem: often forum space isn't big enough to display a huge image, and you're better off just opening it in a new page anyway. 

I see a problem: often forum space isn't big enough to display a huge image, and you're better off just opening it in a new page anyway. 

Well, of course it's still limited by the width of the containing post. It'd be possible to add a vertical scrollbar in case the content exceeds the boundaries, but that'd have to be applied to the post's container itself.

moved issue from Forums Issues

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users