• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Issue Information

• Suggestion

Photo

Making OTC Posts Count

Posted by Engineer Alexandra Humva on May 03 2013 - 12:26 PM

It's a fairly self explanatory title; this is a suggestion to make posts in the Off Topic Culture Forum count towards a member's total post count. While certainly not a site breaking topic, now that the OTC was been split from the COT, I and others feel that posts in the forum should count towards one's total post count. The reasons for this are simple: the OTC is devoted to... exactly what it names says, off topic culture. In the Lego sections of BZPower, art topics, literature topics, and RPG topics all are allowed to count towards the total post count. When we only had the COT, it was effectively all the forums condensed into one. Because of this the reasoning behind posts not counting there was fairly simple and self explanatory; topics such as the "Describe your Signature/Avatar" game would serve very easily for post inflation, and because the Games and Trivia forum doesn't get posts that count towards it, then why would the COT with it's similar topics?

Now however, the OTC exists, and is entirely composed of topics that would be found in other forums on the site who's posts do count. One can make the argument that post inflation still exists there, but the same argument could be used to deny post count rights to the other forums as well.

It'd simply be nice to see some recognition, and that's why this tracker topic is here. From my (admittedly limited) experience with the software the toggle for getting a forum to count or not isn't that difficult to change, but of course it'll need the backing of the community first. So please, vote on the matter, for or against. Worse thing that can happen to one of these trackers is a lack of attention.

It's still not a LEGO-oriented forum. It's more similar to COT than it is to, say, one of the RPG forums. The same logic used for not allowing posts to count in COT is just as valid for OTC - if not more so, considering the number of highly active RPGs that are in that forum. It's not a matter of what manner of topics are in the forum, it's their subjects - in this case, non-LEGO discussion.

I honestly think post inflation would be more of a problem in OTC than in COT - if anything, we should make posts count in COT before OTC.

I'm with Sumiki on this one. It's a Bionicle site, and thus, most of the posts made on Bionicle subjects will increase your post count. If we make any part of the Completely Off Topic Sub-Forum add post count, the idea of Bionicle being the main subject will primarily fade. There are plenty of people that aren't extremely interested in Bionicle anymore, but still post in its designated forums for the post count. Believe me, adding post count to OTC would take a lot of people from the Bionicle-Based Forums. That's not something you really want a Bionicle-Themed Website.

-Rez

Engineer Alexandra Humva
May 05 2013 02:13 PM
Considering that I haven't posted in a Bionicle or Lego related forum for months and only at maximum of five times since the forums came back from the update, I don't think I exist in a small demographic.

Ultimately of course, it's just a post count. Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, I know I'm not going to move just because my post count doesn't change.

I would, however, ask of Smuiki about the Bionicle RPG forum. If Bionicle RPGs don't serve as post inflation, then literally the only logic to say OTC RPGs do is that they aren't Bionicle, which if one holds to the idea that this website is entirely about Lego, is fine logic. Not my logic, but hey, I'm not in charge.

I'm not sure why you're curious about the RPG rule. COT was initially created as a response to members wanting to talk about non-BIONICLE subjects. Post counts were apparently a bigger deal in the past, and the administration didn't want COT (which became one of the most popular forums on the board) to overrun the BIONICLE aspect of the forums. Now that we've become a LEGO-oriented forum, I'm fine with the same train of thought.

The main attraction of COT were its RPGs, and now that they've been split off, OTC is as active as COT. It's not a matter of people not posting there because it doesn't add to your post count - rather, the OTC-going members are part of the role-playing community in that forum. If we made posts count there, that might attract spam.

Engineer Alexandra Humva
May 05 2013 07:33 PM
I can understand spam, and certainly, being an active OTC RPer I'd like to keep the place clean of it, but I mean, I am a bit culture-isolated in this respect, but is spam a big deal in the BRPG forum? Because if it is, then no sense in spreading the disease.

Canis Lycaon
May 05 2013 07:53 PM
I agree with this. The discussion topics and Corrupt-A-Wish type games of the COT forum should not count, but RPGs and stories should.

At the very least, would it be possible to allow members to see how many posts they have in COT/OTC/Games & Trivia?

Smooth Jazz
May 06 2013 09:30 PM

At the very least, would it be possible to allow members to see how many posts they have in COT/OTC/Games & Trivia?

I agree with this. That used to exist before an update removed it. (I think.)

Captain Caboose
May 29 2013 10:42 PM
yes, that means more moving up in the rankings (since that's all i go to every day)

~Shockwave~
May 30 2013 12:47 AM
To me, my displayed post count means nothing to me. In order to find out how many posts I made I have to go through my settings and count the number of pages as a rough estimate. This does not make sense to me. 

-Windrider-
May 30 2013 01:24 PM
Honestly I think we're at the point where all posts could count without any harm. (And it might even be beneficial.)

^Cue massive post count inflation, and the Bionicle/Lego forums shriveling up worse than they already are. I disagree.

I support this idea. The OTC and COT areas are some of the most active areas in the site. Heck, the people there are the main reason I'm still on BZP.

^Cue massive post count inflation, and the Bionicle/Lego forums shriveling up worse than they already are. I disagree.

It's not possible for them to be worse, because we're at the point where the people who don't actively follow LEGO's post-Bionicle stuff for different reasons(Like money issues coinciding with Bionicle's end) just plain ignore those parts of the forum, whether it's because of a lack of posting(*Coughgdcough*) or just their own personal lack of interest. If people are still posting in the LEGO forums, it's a 99% chance that it's because they WANT to discuss stuff about LEGO. And with the state of GD's topics, I doubt even stuff like What Are You Listening To would negatively affect things, because half of GD's topics are either ones where you just explain something and leave, or other similar topics. There's no actual discussing going on there anymore, outside of a select few topics... and I don't even think there's been any new topics in the last little whiule, unless I missed the notification when I was forced to only use my 3DS.

My point is... OTC shouldn't be just ignored in this respect just because people are worried about how the LEGO forums will do in reaction; because the LEGO forums are populated by people who WANT to post in them. COT; sure, I get that because of topics you can post in multiple times with short posts, like again, What Are You Listening To. But OTC requires more than that; the community frowns upon short posts. Heck, back when it was normal COT a few years ago one guy became a running joke for a while, because he had a three word IC in one certain RPG. None of us were impressed. =P Fact is, OTC RPGs are just the same as the Bionicle RPGs; just with a better system for approving them, since you get more than three months if you're a normal member like me. So, to rule out OTC simply because of the RPGs, is saying that the Bionicle RPGs have that status SIMPLY because of the Bionicle title, and while that is pretty much the entire discussion here, is that really fair for OTC in this day and age, when it's probably one of the reasons a good few members are sticking around this long?(Simply going off things already stated in this tracker issue, don't jump down my throat. =P)

My response was merely to Windrder's idea that all posts could count without any harm. As for whether OTC posts should count, I remain indifferent. I'm pretty sure people put effort into their posts there, like you said. 

I'm just against allowing posts that don't require any effort to count, because humans are lazy and will gravitate toward the easiest way to up their post counts. 

~Shockwave~
Jul 03 2013 03:08 PM

My response was merely to Windrder's idea that all posts could count without any harm. As for whether OTC posts should count, I remain indifferent. I'm pretty sure people put effort into their posts there, like you said. 

I'm just against allowing posts that don't require any effort to count, because humans are lazy and will gravitate toward the easiest way to up their post counts. 

Not everyone will. The posts that I've made dwarf my post count. That just doesn't make sense.

Toa Levacius Zehvor
Jul 12 2013 01:04 PM
Skimming through and saw this, so to make my thoughts known -

Post count is a relic from back when BZP was a Bionicle forum. It shows how active you were on the Bionicle or semi-Bionicle elements. It also shows how much you've continued to do after Bionicle died with it and other LEGO related activities (I'm not so sure about the later; I admit that I don't frequent those forums and am not familiar with the post count rules there).

So basically, it's a statement on what you've done in the matters of Bionicle and keeping some memory of it a live. Cheesy? Oh heck yes. But that's the way I see it, and it makes the most logical sense when you think about what the forum was originally built for.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Smooth Jazz
Aug 13 2013 03:45 PM
In my opinion, a post is a post and should count as one, however meaningless or content-deficient.

moved issue from Forums Issues

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users