• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Click to ToggleParticipate in our raffle!

Hi, Guest. Come take a look and participate in our raffle:

Chima 2014 Big Raffle
Chima 2014 New Member Raffle
Chima 2014 Little Raffle

Issue Information

• Issue

Issue Confirmations

• Yes (10)No (0)
Photo

Widespread Formatting Problems

Posted by Simon the Digger on Nov 30 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hey, so it has been noted by myself and a few others that formatting is malfunctioning. I personally have noted it in OTC, Bionicle RPG, Lego RPG, and a handful of other places. Colors, fonts, indents, et cetera are all malfunctioning, and displaying the code that would normally make them work correctly where it would normally be invisible without seeking it out.

I haven't seen a ticket for this already, but is there already was one, I apologize.

Supposedly, this was the reason why BZP was offline temporarily last night, but now that the forums are back online, I can see that it's not been entirely fixed.

I'm seeing a bunch of older posts that should be broken down into numerous paragraphs, but instead they are rendered as single large walls of text that make it very hard to read.

What should be looking like this:

This is paragraph one. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

This is paragraph two. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

This is paragraph three. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Is instead looking like this:

This is paragraph one. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.This is paragraph two. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.This is paragraph three. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

If this doesn't look too bad, see how it looks in topics with long posts of many paragraphs.  For example, compare how this topic should look with how it is currently looking. It's a mess. And it's just one of many topics that are like this.  That's what the forums look like right now: one big mess.

It's bad enough that ten years of forums were lost forever; let's not leave what little is left as an incoherent unreadable mess.

Please fix this as quickly as you can.

Agnes Oblige
Dec 01 2013 02:11 PM
Some sort of error with semi-colons being inserted en masse into the coding of old posts is the issue; I'm just wondering how and why it got there in the first place. 
Normally the coding would look something like this (replace { with [)

{color=#000000}Black Text{/color}

But it is instead 

{color=#000000;}Black Text{/color}

Removing the semi-colons is easy enough but extremely tedious work. I would assume that there should be a relatively easy widespread fix for it though, since it all happened at once?

We're actively working on a way to fix this.

Sybre the Mental
Dec 02 2013 12:30 PM
I'm glad you guys are trying to solve this. The error that Tex explained above had ruined an old comic topic that's long dead, but the error made the topic unusable! When this error is gone, good riddance.

I hope you all fix this. My fanfic topic just turned into spaghetti...

Edit: To be more specific, all the font tags with my custom font don't work, and all the paragraph breaks have been deleted. 

Edit: The font tags seem to all have had single quotes inserted around the font name and semicolons inserted near the end. Remove them, and they work fine. For example:

[font="'Copperplate Gothic Bold';"]*insert stuff here*[/font]

As opposed to: [font=Copperplate Gothic Bold]*insert stuff here*[/font]

Weird though - throw the text into BBCode mode and back and the font stuff auto-fixes, except for the missing paragraphs. The posts seem to be converting themselves to plain text, and the font tags seem to be changing to something new again. 

Edited by fishers64, Dec 02 2013 - 10:09 PM.

Agnes Oblige
Dec 02 2013 04:30 PM
The error seems to have popped up again; fixed posts and posts from the last two days or so are broken as well. This is weird. >.> Maybe the post customization coding is conflicting with something (although customized posts appear to be fine so I don't really know). I'm no expert at coding. xD

Is the problem with paragraph breaks part of this whole BBCode issue?  And is it something that can be easily corrected?

What's odd is that, looking through the "Dino Attack: At War's End" topic, I'm seeing that most posts are broken, a few are correct, and there are even a few that are half-broken half-correct.  For example, whereas all the posts on the first page were broken, if you look on the last page, #1961 has correct formatting, #1962 is broken, and #1991 seems to be somewhere in the middle.

If this is not something that can be easily corrected, then I'd like to have the ability to go back and try to fix the paragraph breaks in my own posts and asking my fellow players to do the same.  But, as you can see, the topic is locked, which prevents me from doing so.  I can probably request it to be temporarily re-opened, but before I do so, I need to know if this formatting issue can be corrected.

And this topic has been closed for nearly a whole year.  Now, I don't pretend to know anything about formatting a website, but is it possible to use an older back-up of the site to correct the older topics such as these, while keeping the newer posts unaffected?

Formatting breakdown... again. This time I've noticed that even posts with nothing more than minimal coding (paragraphs, bold and/or italic text), have broken down as well. I'd thought it was merely the color and font that messed things up, but apparently not.

Can we get a progress report? It's been two and a half weeks since this first arose.

We are still working on it. We have a plan, but need to make the time and gather the resources to execute it.

With all due respect, it's been nearly five months since this problem arose and there has been very little news on its status.  Has the staff given up trying to fix it?  If you have, please let us know.

I have exhausted all the options I've come up with to resolve it. Binkmeister is working on it now, and I have not received any updates from him in a while, so there's nothing to pass on.

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users