• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Issue Information

• Suggestion

Photo

Library Merger

Posted by Voltex Oblige on Apr 06 2014 - 08:12 PM

Activity in all three main library forums has been fairly limited in recent months, especially in the Comedies forum - perhaps merging the stories in the Comedies forum into Epics and Short Stories? I'm not quite sure why humor was ever singled out into its own forum, but having to worry about putting any sort of joke into epics is, in a word, exhausting.

Whenever the suggestion of a merger is brought up, the differences in formatting and quality are always brought up; while formatting is an issue with longer comedies, I'm sure something could be worked out for those specific topics. The pseudo-script style has been used for both epics and short stories in the past (at least before the 2011 update; I don't know about after), so that should pose no issue either.

As for quality differences, I see none. There are good comedies and bad comedies, just as there are good epics, bad epics, good short stories, and bad short stories. 

Those are my thoughts; in the Comedy Discussion and Planning Topic, some other very valid points have been brought up, and I'll link the posts here:

Phovos
young sinatra
Toa of Winds

So what are everyone's thoughts on the matter?

Hahli Husky
Apr 06 2014 08:33 PM
Just so it's clear, for those who weren't around when the Library as it is now was formed (or just don't remember), there was a solid reason for Comedies to be its own thing. At the time, writing hilarious fiction on the internet was extraordinarily popular and easily drowned out other stories in the same space. People often had a preference for serious adventure stories or wild slapstick stories, and singling out this popular genre helped most users find what they were looking for and the crowd they were interested in talking to. Creating Comedies met an enormous demand at the time. Many comedy authors had an internet presence that matched their crazy stories, and separating those out also helped staff keep better track of them. Overseeing Comedies was very different from overseeing Short Stories and Epics, and often had different sets of staff to do so.

Since 12+ years have passed since then, everything's changed. It's been a long time since the separation has been necessary, but it's honestly stayed the same for the sake of convention (and I never really gave it any thought, either.) I think some people are under the impression that it keeps "lesser" or "silly" stories out of "~serious~" spaces, which is a ridiculously haughty notion. Like you said, there's "good" and "bad" in all three forums. I've seen a lot of forums that either lump all story types together, or bigger forums that single out certain genres (specifically comedies and romance.)

So there's some extra information to start with. :)

Edited by Hahli Husky, Apr 06 2014 - 08:38 PM.

The culture of Comedies might still be a bit too different from Epics and Short Stories for a merger to be viable.

I think an all-round merger would be better. Short Stories is dead and Comedies is dead. So we can still sort out what topic is what, we can use tags such as *comedy, *epic, *poem, *short *review and so on and so forth.

That way, the whole section gets an activity boost.

If you're worried about the areas being incompatible, we could archive the sections and create a new Stories section, with stories that are still active being moved/copied into this new section and continuing from there.

Hahli Husky
Apr 08 2014 04:46 PM
The cultures of the subforums don't seem to be very different now. Maybe I'm comparing it to how it was x years ago, but I don't think it would be a big deal to zip them together. A good portion of the authors who frequent Comedies also seem interested the other two forums, as well, and I get plenty of PMs from authors struggling to place their humorous epic correctly (with good reason.) Since I deleted a lot of the unneeded Comedies rules, all three forums share a lot of the same rules. I imagine comedies would be allowed to have review topics and such if there was a merger. Without the huge demand of the past, Comedies is just a forum singling out a genre. It's no longer the ~ cRaZy AnD wAcKy SpAmLaNd ~ that people who don't post there seem to think it still is. I get tired of saying that. To be honest, I get way more troublemakers in Epics than in Comedies.

Edited by Hahli Husky, Apr 10 2014 - 10:45 PM.

SkywardStriker16
Apr 10 2014 07:13 PM

The culture of Comedies might still be a bit too different from Epics and Short Stories for a merger to be viable.

If you've ever read my comedies, you should know that I have a bad habit of making "epicomedies".

The three forums really aren't all that different. They're all stories written by users. So why not merge all three into one and just use hashtags to state the genre (epic, short story, comedy or other)?

One general "BIONICLE Fanfiction" forum would be great. Activity's pretty low these days, and having everything in one place makes it easier for stories to get some attention, something which is harder now as barely anyone really frequents the Library forums.

Agree with pretty much everyone here. A merger would make a lot of sense.

-TNTOS-

Definitely agreed that at the very least Comedies should be merged with epics/short stories, because of everything HH said. And if they were, would that mean multi-chapter comedies would also get review topics? (I think it'd make sense, so everything's consistent)

I'd personally be for keeping the two Epics/Short Stories forums (with long/short comedies included in that, respectively), though, just because it's nice to have a separation between long and short stories, I think.

Edited by Velox, Apr 30 2014 - 12:10 AM.

moved issue from Forums Issues

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users