• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Issue Information

• Suggestion

Photo

Library Merger

Posted by Lucina on Apr 06 2014 - 08:12 PM

Activity in all three main library forums has been fairly limited in recent months, especially in the Comedies forum - perhaps merging the stories in the Comedies forum into Epics and Short Stories? I'm not quite sure why humor was ever singled out into its own forum, but having to worry about putting any sort of joke into epics is, in a word, exhausting.

Whenever the suggestion of a merger is brought up, the differences in formatting and quality are always brought up; while formatting is an issue with longer comedies, I'm sure something could be worked out for those specific topics. The pseudo-script style has been used for both epics and short stories in the past (at least before the 2011 update; I don't know about after), so that should pose no issue either.

As for quality differences, I see none. There are good comedies and bad comedies, just as there are good epics, bad epics, good short stories, and bad short stories. 

Those are my thoughts; in the Comedy Discussion and Planning Topic, some other very valid points have been brought up, and I'll link the posts here:

Phovos
young sinatra
Toa of Winds

So what are everyone's thoughts on the matter?

I remember how GaliGee used to post her Epics in the Comedies forum, calling them "dark comedies." And yet they were definitely "epic." I think merging the forums is a good idea: have one forum for one-offs, and one forum for longer works with multiple chapters. Add a tagging system and you're golden.

I'd rather not see a merger, simply because most comedies tend to be stuff that the epics forum would regard as spam. 

Most of that is personal preference. If I'm looking for a funny story, I don't want to have to slip past the active epics that I haven't reviewed, and if I'm trying to get to the epics, I don't want to have to wade through a bunch of spamomedies. 

I'd rather not see a merger, simply because most comedies tend to be stuff that the epics forum would regard as spam. 

Most of that is personal preference. If I'm looking for a funny story, I don't want to have to slip past the active epics that I haven't reviewed, and if I'm trying to get to the epics, I don't want to have to wade through a bunch of spamomedies. 

The tagging system would help alleviate this issue, ideally - by establishing a set of well-defined genre tags, it would become possible to figure out what stories do and don't fit into the old comedies mold. 

That said, I understand your concern about the culture of comedies not matching Epics/Short Stories; hopefully, there wouldn't be too much conflict over this, but that's part of the reason I'm reaching out to active members for their thoughts.

Much like what Hahli Husky said last year, I don't believe there is actually much of a difference regarding culture in the forums. Short Stories has been quiet for years, and over the past several months while posting epics I haven't noticed much of a community there, necessarily, outside of specific review topics. 

Comedies does have a culture, where I'd say that the Epics and Short Stories forums currently lack one. In Comedies most of the authors are friends or at least know each other to some small internet extent, and thanks to the planning topic and blogs they often gather together to create and bounce ideas off of each other. I do not believe that this would be bad for the Epics and Short Stories forums; I believe it would instead be beneficial.

Merging Comedies with the other two would allow that culture to grow and flourish with other genres as well; the Library as a whole could become a proper community, as Comedies is right now.

In SS and Epics we used to have a community - except that it was very elite and kinda snobbish, esp. in Short Stories. Thanks to no activity and some opposition, it really dissolved. (Thankfully!)

But then again, that's how the nature of those forums tend to be outside of critics clubs and planning topics and the like. Writing a work tends to be an independent endeavor, and unless a person or five really make an effort to read works other than their own, the community aspect dissolves really quickly. 

Comedies has been consistently making that effort for years, though - both to read other works and maintain the community with the discussion & planning topic. That's with old authors leaving and new authors coming, too.

Plus, it's a healthy community - one that is welcoming to newcomers, new ideas, and willing to help out those who are brand new or might not be as good as everyone else just yet. It's the kind of community that would be fantastic for Epics and Short Stories.

-Windrider-
Jan 27 2015 12:33 AM

I think I agree with Voltex - I'm not active in the Library by any means, but there does seem to be a good amount of drive and dedication in the Comedies community. From what I recall, though, it seemed that a lot of the recent energy was directed toward this proposal and to other problems of activity; I can't speak for the literary side of things. Hopefully the energy will only change course and not dissipate.

I support this idea and agree that it would be a good time to make such a change.

Edited by -Windrider-, Jan 27 2015 - 12:33 AM.

Not to mention that the current setup leaves us scratching our masks wondering where nonfiction and poetry go.

Not to mention that the current setup leaves us scratching our masks wondering where nonfiction and poetry go.

The latter goes in short stories. Nonfiction goes in the Lego Discussion Forums, Completely Off Topic, or the blogs.

To provide an update: we will be going forward with a library merger in the not-so-distant future, by way of merging Comedies into Epics and Short Stories, pending some technical details related to story categorization.  The Epics/SS distinction will be kept.

If you have thoughts about what you'd like to see in a merged library, definitely share them!

I just hope that if we're using a tag system or whatever, it won't be too obtrusive. I've seen some sites & forums where the story titles become incomprehensible under the various tags surrounding them. 

Otherwise, I'm happy to see that this will be going through! I don't think there are any specific things I'd like to see in a merged library yet.

We're looking at options for the tagging system; one possibility would be users choosing a genre from a list of preset ones, which would then be present as a single prefix on the topic.  (Think the "Featured" prefix you can see today on featured works.)  Users could then easily sort by genre.  Custom tags would be handled by today's tagging system.

In any event, I agree with you on keeping one eye on obtrusiveness - nobody likes topic titles being drowned in tags.

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users