• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Issue Information

• Issue

Issue Confirmations

• Yes (3)No (4)
Photo

Ghost/Dupe Notifications

Posted by Actually... I'm Santa on Nov 17 2012 - 07:38 PM

Every now and then I get a little hiccup in my notification list. It'll say I have a new notification and when I check, it's blank (no member title and the default white silhouette avatar). However I will click the date it was sent and it will take me to an actual notification (i.e. X has posted a new entry on blog...)

Also (and I'm not sure if this is the same issue) I'll sometimes get a duplicate notification that leads me nowhere. Example: X posted a new status update.
I'll click it and it will lead me to a blank page saying "No new content."

Personally I'm not sure if it means the member has deleted their status or locked their blog entry when I click it, but this is more common than a "ghost notification." Earlier today I got 11 notifications about an updated status from a single member. Turns out that member only updated their status 3 times recently.

This is a minor issue in my opinion as it happens once a blue moon, however I think the system should be looked at.

The status thing is indeed from deleting their status; given how common accidental dupe posting can be with the status updater(Since it doesn't blank the text box; even if you refresh), it is entirely possible that it could have been the same status, and someone deleted it. That, or they realized after they posted it that it wasn't such a good idea, or they wanted to refine it. =P

Actually... I'm Santa
Nov 18 2012 12:01 AM
Well, that at least explains the 8 dupes I got today. XD

Still doesn't explain the blank ones, though. =/

Well, that at least explains the 8 dupes I got today. XD

Still doesn't explain the blank ones, though. =/

Well, if you think about it, once the topic is deleted, there is no longer any posts within the topic, meaning each notification is automatically deleted, or in this case, turned blank.

-Rez

Well, to be honest, I've never seen the ghost notifications myself, just heard the mentions about it. I've seen the dupe ones myself, but otherwise...

It could be from either the notifications list not processing data correctly at first; or as Reznas says, from the data instance being deleted without the notification being taken away as well.

Do the ghost notifications stay, even after refreshing? Is it on the main list, or just the dropdown?

Actually... I'm Santa
Nov 18 2012 07:39 PM
Hmm...

To answer your questions, the ghost notifications do stay. I can access them on the main list, but they do show up in the drop-down as well. These ones pop up pretty rarely, but I have gotten more than one in the past.

Those of you seeing the ghost notifications - do you have the "Notify me of replies to status updates I have replied to" setting checked?

There seems to be a known bug related to that setting. When we next upgrade our forum software it should be resolved. I'm going to leave this open for a little bit in case there are other situations where people are seeing this.

Is anyone still seeing ghost notifications since the upgrade? Please note that this will only apply to new notifications, not ones created before the upgrade.

Actually... I'm Santa
Dec 01 2012 04:27 PM
Yes, I do have that setting checked in my notifications. 

Since yesterday, I have not received any ghost notifications.  I'll let you know if I see any. 

It's been over a month, has anyone seen any ghost notifications?

Actually... I'm Santa
Mar 02 2013 03:50 PM
Ever since the update was made, I have not seen any ghost notifications.

I haven't seen any recently either.

locked issue

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users