• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Issue Information

• Suggestion

Photo

IP.Board-based Front Page

Posted by Meiko on Nov 18 2012 - 01:37 PM

I know everybody is probably happy with BZPower's classic front page, but I'm sure that all the current broken features would work fine if we had an IP.Board-based front page. Also, it would blend more with the new forum, which I'd really prefer.

Here is little thingy that IP.Board has to offer, that I've seen work great on other forums, including another LEGO-related forum.

http://community.inv...le/4322-portal/

I just think having the same style among all the site would be nice. Also, this portal feature will keep the RSS feed from messing up HTML in each RSS news article. That's what drives me insane when looking at my Google Reader which I have all of my LEGO-related news sites hooked up to for easy viewing on one page.

Update!

Adding a pros and cons list just for those curious.

Pros:
  • All features that don't work right now would be able to work (hot topics list, etc)
  • Get access to see your new notifications and messages on the front page, and even see what new messages you got, and who from.
  • Style would be consistent between all parts of BZPower
  • Talkback topics wouldn't have glitches with duplicate topics being made and raw HTML being visible
  • You would be able to choose your theme between the themes available on BZPower's forums.
  • Would be easy for the staff to update, add, or remove things on the main page
  • News RSS would be integrated into IP.Board, so wouldn't have raw HTML visible in RSS viewers (Google Reader, etc)
  • BZPower news stories could contain anything that can be contained in a BZPower Forums post, and the staff could even enable HTML on news stories for the IP.Board front page, so videos could be embedded, etc.
Cons:
  • The design everybody has come to love would be replaced with a fresh, new layout and design.
And about that one con:
The BZPower staff can copy the main page's file (index.php) and rename it "legacy.php" or whatever they want, and put a link or even a setting (which would be more difficult) to use the old main page if you are the kind of person who hates change, and wants to keep the old design.

Dual Matrix
Nov 18 2012 03:14 PM
I don't think this is needed, the homepage shows that this site is unique just like BS01

I don't think this is needed, the homepage shows that this site is unique just like BS01

Except the reason that there are so many features that don't work is that it doesn't find compatibility with this version of IP.Board. The features would work with an IP.Board-based home page.

And BS01's main page still follows the style that every other page has. Having stylistic consistency and functionality across the site is the key to user-friendliness. Swert made BS01 follow a clean, simple style across all pages and templates.

This could benefit the forums either way but personally I think the design of the front page has been an icon for BZPower. A lot of us depended just on that one page to get all our news when the forums went down. If it was embedded into the forums themselves it then the whole site might be difficult to view if ever they are to have downtime again. Then again, I don't know much about the IPB system.

This could benefit the forums either way but personally I think the design of the front page has been an icon for BZPower. A lot of us depended just on that one page to get all our news when the forums went down. If it was embedded into the forums themselves it then the whole site might be difficult to view if ever they are to have downtime again. Then again, I don't know much about the IPB system.

Pretty much this. I would want the front page to be independent of the boards simply because the forum system has let us down in the past. Putting all the proverbial eggs in one basket seems rather foolish IMO.

I second this.

Colette Llyan
Nov 18 2012 08:41 PM
I'm kinda siding with both parts of this. For one; the front page does kinda need an upgrade of some sorts, even if it's just bringing it up to HTML 5 standards. But, on the other hand, it needs to be separate, as the downtime last year shows that it is not safe to leave everything tied right to the forums. =P And really, at least with the forums down, we still had news, updates, and the BZPowerCast.

Yeah, I'm of the mindset to leave the site separate and with its own design.

However, it is worth noting it needs a refresh. There's plenty of coders on the staff right now, and they can easily jam that into a resume. I know at least two people on BS01 staff who did so with BS01 when discussing their own resume.

On top of that, you also have to consider the Content Management System BZP uses is so delicate to begin with, there's no telling what would happen to the news archive if you started playing around with new website layouts.

Edited by Swert, Nov 19 2012 - 11:51 AM.

I'm okay with the current front page, but I just read the Talkback for the news story on the current Short Stories Contest, and it highlighted a positive result which could come of an IP.Board-based front page: links in news stories would be formatted properly in the Talkback topics. Currently they don't, since the front page uses HTML and the forums use BBcode. It's a minor issue, but if this idea were implemented it'd resolve that in one fell swoop.

Toa of Winds
Dec 11 2012 09:38 PM
Huh. I wonder if we could fix the hot topics list problem with this...

Good idea. I'd want a BZP feel to it (of course), and the front page really does need an upgrade. Supported!

~LTT~

Someone has already pointed out that putting all our eggs in one basket is...not quite wise.

Someone has already pointed out that putting all our eggs in one basket is...not quite wise.

Yeah, especially considering how Invision is messing up all kinds of things lately.

-Gata Posted Image

Edited by Gatanui, Dec 13 2012 - 03:59 PM.

Shadow Kurahk
Dec 21 2012 02:56 AM
This would be the final step in determining BZP's drift from "BIONICLE News, Reference, & Discussion," to be honest.

It would be kind of ridiculous to convert to a generic forum-focused front page when most of what this site has going for it is the front page content.

I say we just modernize the front page...it looks like an old 1998 site (no disrespect intended to whoever made it...it's simply outdated).

-SK

Dual Matrix
Dec 21 2012 07:25 AM
Just so you guys know, I made a bit moderner frontpage: http://www.bzpower.c...er&showissue=99

Grandmaster Lehvorak
Jan 24 2013 04:09 PM
Even though the home page is like a memorial, but websites nowadays have more of a cleaner design. Maybe make it a bit simpler and possibly use twitter bootstrap or something?

Lehvorak

Updated the original post to include a list of pros and cons, and even an idea to fix the only con.

You forgot:

Con: if the forums go down everything else goes down as well.

No fix for that that I can see.

Grandmaster Lehvorak
Jan 24 2013 11:03 PM

You forgot:

Con: if the forums go down everything else goes down as well.

No fix for that that I can see.

Well, that is only if they fix the forums, but I think it would be best if they fixed the homepage, not the forums. The forums is fine! They don't really have to shutdown everything if they are designing a new homepage for the website. Plus it would be nice to make it appealing and modernize it.

The good thing about redesigning it is that you can make it look simpler and easier for the user. It might be even possible to set up like a slideshow banner up there and have some pop-up bars that reveal certain things. This might require a lot of HTML and CSS coding... possibly some PHP if they try to go all out on some things.

All they need to do is incorporate some Java Script into areas for linking the member spotlight, login, etc. That is only if they want to link things from the forum and it may take time on the designing process... Maybe a good month or 2 before it will be completed? 

Lehvorak

Edited by Grandmaster Lehvorak, Jan 24 2013 - 11:03 PM.

Was fishers was saying is that if there is something wrong with the forum software, then not only go those offline but also the entire websie, simply because the front page would use the same software as the forums.

-Gata Posted Image

Dual Matrix
Jan 25 2013 11:24 AM

The BZPower staff can copy the main page's file (index.php) and rename it "legacy.php" or whatever they want, and put a link or even a setting (which would be more difficult) to use the old main page if you are the kind of person who hates change, and wants to keep the old design.

And so, an awesome idea is born a swich mode between the old and new frontpage. This totally changed my vote.

Was fishers was saying is that if there is something wrong with the forum software, then not only go those offline but also the entire websie, simply because the front page would use the same software as the forums.

-Gata Posted Image

Exactly. 

1 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users