• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Issue Information

• Issue

Issue Confirmations

• Yes (8)No (2)
Photo

Fixed Toolbar

Posted by Meiko on Nov 18 2012 - 04:30 PM

Since I use the black toolbar at the top of the board a lot, I think it would be helpful if the thing had the CSS property position:fixed. The reason I say this is because on long threads, it gets tiresome to scroll all the way to the top and whatnot.

I tested the CSS above to see if it would work, which it does. It requires a few slight modifications besides the position property, but they are really simple. It works really nice, and it would be great if it was like that without me having to modify it on every computer I use.

For example:

Posted Image

EDIT: I meant to make this a suggestion; not an issue. Woops.

Does this mean that when you scroll down on the page, the black bar with the links to our user functions would always stay in plain sight at the top of the browser, and the actual page content would scroll down? If so, I support this.

Yes it does

I would honestly support this as well; it would be very good to have the nav bar stay there even as you navigated a page; especially if there were eventually more things added to that bar.

What would happen to the notifications drop down, though? Would it be fixed in place too?

I would honestly support this as well; it would be very good to have the nav bar stay there even as you navigated a page; especially if there were eventually more things added to that bar.

What would happen to the notifications drop down, though? Would it be fixed in place too?

I actually hadn't checked that. Good point. I tried it now, and it works fine. No bugs at all. :)

That's good to hear then; that should be useful. Now if only there was a way for the notification drop down to require having the button clicked again to prevent accidental closure. xD(But I know that's all but impossible, so that's mostly just a joke. =P)

I actually would find this annoying. I think, if this was implemented, that users should be able to switch that function on or off using the user CP.

That would be a good idea. We might want to add the search box to the left side so that we can search without having to return to the top every time. Y'know, combine features.

That would be a good idea. We might want to add the search box to the left side so that we can search without having to return to the top every time. Y'know, combine features.

Good idea. That would require a lot of modifaction to the core IP.Board PHP files however, but it could be done.

What did you edit on your computer to do that? I think I want to try that for myself.

I used either Firefox or Chrome's inspect element tool. Just right click. You have to be familiar with CSS to do so. :)

I think what he means is how you tested to make sure it worked; was it on the site itself, or a test site? I'm kinda intrigued about that myself. =P

The inspect element tool only tweaks the CSS. Nothing else changed, so it's still the same site, and still a live page.

I think I've figured out most of the CSS edits that would be needed for both the fixed toolbar, and setting the search box and the advanced search thing into the toolbar. The only question I have, is what is done with the logo stuff? That's set up by the height of the toolbar when it's set to fixed position, which doesn't really look good, when you're at the top of the page. =/

While I haven't been able to find an add-on/hack to do this, I did find this. Do you guys think this would be useful and fit what you're looking for?

That sounds like it could be a pretty cool addition, yes. It seems useful, and sounds like it fits exactly what we're looking for... The only question at this point is whether the guy who made it has updated it to the latest version like he said he would in the comments...

That seems a bit cool, but would definitely need some CSS changes. Is there not a main CSS file for Invision, because fixating the current top bar shouldn't need an add-on.  :confused:

Than the Moa
Jan 28 2013 07:41 PM

That seems a bit cool, but would definitely need some CSS changes. Is there not a main CSS file for Invision, because fixating the current top bar shouldn't need an add-on.  :confused:

Invision's CSS is separated into multiple files.  I can do a check to see where the source is, but it may be difficult to find. 

Than the Moa
Jan 28 2013 07:55 PM
Scratch that, found it fairly easily.  it's up and running and all good.  :)

Edited by Than the Moa, Jan 28 2013 - 07:56 PM.

locked issue

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users