ENTRY DEADLINE: MAY 19, 2016
For shame, Lego. Seriously, you missed the opportunity for a good villain in Von Nebula, you forgot about what good comic art was when you hired Sayger, and darn it, that battle with Skull Basher was waaaay too short. Fortunately, you have your loyal fans to tell you all about it. And now they are going to fix it for you.
That's right, for this contest you are going to take a moment where Lego had so much potential and threw it out the door, and instead use that potential for your own creations. You shall develop Von Nebula, redraw that ugly Sayger scene, and give Skull Basher the battle he deserves - or whatever else you saw a potential for greatness that was trashed in the name of the almighty dollar.
The winner will receive ONE 2016 Winter Wave set of their choice. I will make every reasonable effort to ensure that you get your prize. (If you are in some country not named the United States, you are responsible for telling me about any problems I might have delivering your prize if you win that UPS won't tell me about. If you know that it will cost over $100 to ship your prize to your country, don't enter.)
HOW TO ENTER:
Post your entry in a topic on the BZPower forums, and link the topic to this blog entry by posting a comment on this blog entry below.
1. MoCs, games, stories, artwork, comics, and basically anything you can post in the Creative Outlet will be accepted as an entry. However, your entry does not have to perfectly fit there - if you have some other lack of potential you would like to address, go for it. (Bionicle website redesign, anyone? )
2. Entries MUST be posted in a topic on BZPower forums, which MUST be linked to this blog entries' comment section. The actual entry may be hosted offsite, but there must be a topic linking to it and drawing attention to it. This is required for this contest - I know, it's weird, just live with it.
3. Entries must have never been posted on BZPower before the contest began - March 3, 2016. Anything after that is fair game. Posting it anywhere else doesn't disqualify you, period.
4. Entries must USE Lego's untapped potential for something CREATIVE. Whining on the forums about Lego's lack of ambition is NOT an entry.
5. Unlimited Entries are allowed per person, but PLEASE do not post 10 MoC topics in one day and enter them all. Please be courteous to your fellow forum browsers. Otherwise, go to town.
6. All Lego themes, past and present, are fair game for entries.
7. Every BZPower member, from new members to staff members, are allowed to enter. Having a higher site rank or popularity will not increase your chances of winning - so yes, new member, you can win too.
Except for me. fishers64, as this contest's host, may not enter.
8. Collaborative Entries ARE ALLOWED, with the following IMPORTANT WARNINGS:
A. MAXIMUM of 3 PEOPLE. You are NOT allowed to recruit the entire site against one person; that's just wrong.
B. You are responsible among yourselves for deciding who gets the prize of the Bionicle set. I will assume that the person who starts the topic for your project is the one who will get the prize, unless you specifically tell me otherwise. If you argue over who gets what in front of me, you both get nothing.
If you are a lone contributor, you do not get the right to complain if a collaborative team wins. Someone convinced someone else to work for them for free, or they bribed them somehow. That's called life skills. Learn them.
9. For Fan Created Games, your epic plan to redesign a boring Lego game will be accepted as an entry. However, entries must reflect actual capability of developing the game described - you must have an actually feasible plan. Renders and screenshots of partially completed games do help. (An exception to rule #2 will be made in this case - you can post the full text in a comment here, since planning topics are not allowed in FCM. For collaborative teams, the name on the comment is getting the prize unless otherwise indicated.)
10. RPGs need to be approved and running by the end of the entry period to qualify as an entry, as per rule #2. Don't make an RPG for this contest that you have no intention of running; that's just cruel. I expect you to run your game; otherwise it will be DQed. If you're stuck in the middle of the process, you may ask me for an extension - I tried to make the entry period long enough for you to get through the approvals and into running the game.
HOW WINNERS WILL BE DETERMINED:
The entries will be judged by me on the following criteria:
1. Validity of the potential squandering. Think less of "I want this from Lego and they didn't give it to me waaah" and more of "They could have done this, and it would've been more fantastic than what they did, but they didn't, so now I'm doing it."
A less valid example than the ones in the top paragraph would be if you handed me the plans for a BIONICLE MMORPG. We don't have a good case that Lego has the potential to do that. Again, this is partly subjective - and it doesn't have to live up to chir-brother standards of potential, just that the lack of the potential's use resonates with some people.
Generally, smaller remakes are better than large ones. Remaking Sayger's artwork is better than remaking the entirety of the Lego Group's corporate direction. (XD)
2. How well your work actually uses the potential Lego squandered.
3. Quality of the resulting work. (Epicly Awesome? YES GO FOR IT.)
If I get a high number of high-quality entries that are high in all of the above attributes, a poll will be held. However, you will not be able to throw a low-quality entry in here and expect to capitalize on your popularity or rank.
This is an open contest across all forums - I'm looking for a wide variety of entries. The more the merrier!
ENTRY DEADLINE: MAY 19, 2016 - GO!
1. Slizer Dome by Pahrak #0579 (Games and Trivia game)
2. Hero Factory: Contagion by Timeimageness (Epic)
3. Strakk's Best Friend by ZippyWharrgarbl. (One-shot comedy)
4. Toa 2015 - Worth the money? by Ghidora (MoCs)
5. RoboRiders Re:Start by Pahrak #0579 (Epic)
6. Spybotics Playsets by Disty Says Hi