Video Game You Last Played?

Total War: Shogun 2.

Man it is weird to have the 'total War' come first. Anyway, this is a great game, though it's limitation to just Japan during the Sengoku Period doesn't drive my alternate history sense wild like it does with other games; this also goes with the variety of units, as everyone is basically the same (save two factions) I am thinking of getting the stand-alone expansion 'Fall of the Samurai', which deal with Japan once more in civil war, set in the late 1800's (think of the movie 'The Last Samurai') the Japanese Empire, with help from the British Empire and the United States of America, fights off the Tokugawa Shogunate and seeks to industrialize Japan, leading to the events before and during World War II. That, seems to have so much more potential than to see who will paint Japan a different national color and have a different enemy for the Japanese Empire to fight later on. Only real alternate history potential the game has is if Japan converts to Christianity, which I don't think very likely.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Having finished Mass Effect 3 recently, I wanted to play something a little simpler and less grand in scale (putting dragon Age: Origins a little further out in the queue), so I decided to play the Crysis series again. Maybe it helps that it's been a long time since I've played it, but I forgot just how fun Crysis is.

I'm nearing the end of the first game, and I'm having a blast. There are some annoyances, of course--some enemies have body armor that is more resistant than the multimillion dollar nanosuit the protagonist is wearing, and I keep getting random freezes (which are apparently driver-related)--but for the most part, I'm quite enjoying it. The graphics are still great, and I really like the level design. Vehicles could use a bit more durability, though; it's surprising how badly they hold up in a fight.

Anyway, I can't wait to move on to Crysis Warhead and Crysis 2 (don't have 3, yet; I think I need a RAM upgrade before that ever happens).

Edit: So I finished Crysis Warhead, and I must say, despite being an expansion to Crysis, it improved on the base game in pretty much every way. There may not be as many opportunities for awesome suit usage, but the combat has been refined just enough to make it less annoying while still being challenging, the story is more personal and engaging, and Psycho is just a much more interesting character than Nomad. The game is shorter, sure, but I don't see that as a negative point.

Also, while I was waiting for Crysis 2 to finish downloading, I played a little Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty. It's a stand-alone expansion for Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines (at least to my knowledge), and as is often the case with expansions, it's a bit more difficult than the base game, which, if you've ever played it, is saying something. I used to despise this particular game, but the last time I played it, I loved it, and picking up where I left off, I still do. I've made a surprising amount of progress, too, which I did not expect considering how long it's been since I last played it. Now that Crysis 2 has finished downloading, I'll be focusing on that, but I have a feeling that I'll be going to this game more often whenever I only have time to play something quick.

Edited by (Daedalus)

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

Shadow of Destiny. And it's been annoying and stressful, but also fairly intriguing so far. Completing the first run was sad, though. Really sad. However, I found the plot to be quite well-connected, which is a pleasant surprise for a game dealing with time-travel.

Edited by Taka Nuvia

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

I'm going through a bit of a Metroid phase right now. I just finished the original a few days ago, and am well into the second now. There are definitely some improvements over the first in it, though the music is horrid in comparison.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Classic Serious Sam: The First Encounter.

Holy crud is this game intense and insane! No wonder it scared me as a kid. It's not very scary, but alien monsters just come from everywhere and try to kill your t-shirt wearing protagonist in ol' ancient Egypt. The kamikazes make me laugh and scare me at the same time though. Samuel's first impression to these headless suicide bombers was hilarious. :lol:

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Holy crud is this game intense and insane! No wonder it scared me as a kid. It's not very scary, but alien monsters just come from everywhere and try to kill your t-shirt wearing protagonist in ol' ancient Egypt. The kamikazes make me laugh and scare me at the same time though. Samuel's first impression to these headless suicide bombers was hilarious. :lol:

hahahahaha, sounds like an intense game!

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

hahahahaha, sounds like an intense game!

Yeah. I blew up the first kamikaze, who run at you with two giant cartoony bombs and screaming through their decapitated neck, "AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH", and Sam just mocked it say sarcastically "Aaaaaahhhhh..." and laughed at it until a horde of them ran over the hill in the distance towards Samuel and started screaming, making Sam interrupt his laugh and say "...oh boy".

Look up footage of this game onYouTube, you'd probably think the makers are insane.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I've played some CKII with the good sir above me. And I'm on a single player campaign right now. Also, ever since the patch came out, I've been playing UNDERTALE again from time to time.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Age: Origins. This will be my second playthrough (though I suppose it would be the third time I started; I just didn't get very far the second time), and I must say that so far, it has been a much more enjoyable experience. The first time I played it, I didn't realize just how important careful leveling was until it was far too late, and the end result was a lengthy slog from one difficult encounter to the next, and that was even after I switched the difficulty from Normal to Easy. I only finished the base game because I wanted to see how the interactions with other characters and the plot would play out. This time, I've put a bit more thought into my character and leveling, and the game has proven much more enjoyable as a result. I don't know if I'll be able to stick with Normal throughout, but I no longer feel like I'm winning battles purely through luck. I still have some close scrapes, and I don't have near as many health poultices as I would like, but I'm getting through, and enjoying it to boot.

Even beyond the difficulty, though, the experience has been surprisingly different. I'm playing as a Noble Female Human Rogue, and I really like how interactions are slightly different due to her being female and due to her noble background. Already I've had interactions I did not have before, while other interactions have gone slightly differently. It makes me interested to see the the other backgrounds.

All in all I'm having a great time, and I hope to do more of the DLC and play Awakening, none of which I did last time due to growing quite weary of the game.

I just finished replaying Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective on my iPhone. Such a great game, and possibly one of the best mobile ports of a handheld title that I've ever played. It's a shame we'll probably never get a sequel, since even on the second playthrough the gameplay and story remain exceptional.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So I was ironing my shirt this morning, looking forward to a couple hours of writing and gaming, and my dad walked in, his expression both sympathetic and apprehensive. Without preamble (because we're family and we generally don't draw things out unnecessarily), he said, "I think your hard drive died." When my reaction did not produce the anger and dismay he seemed to expect, the apprehension slid away and he told me to follow him to my computer.

Upon arrival, he booted up my computer and said, "You hear that clicking sound? That's what it was doing earlier, and watch..."

Hearing the clicking noise, I dutifully turned my eyes to the monitor, where, after a few seconds, a black screen appeared with white text saying something about connecting a boot device. Based off my dad's knowledge, some some quick research, and a little troubleshooting, I concluded the same thing he did: my hard disk drive had breathed it's last (figuratively speaking, of course).

And so ends my second and more enjoyable playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins. I do not back up my saves, because they are not that important to me, so there will be no picking up where I left off. I won't be starting over, either; I hit 23 hours just yesterday, and I just couldn't bring myself to play through all of that again. I'm a little disappointed I won't get to finish it and see how things turn out this time, but oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

WH40k: Space Marine - Good game, but had it's problems, Wasn't intense enough to be of true WH40k quality. I would enjoy seeing a sequel without the Ultrasmurfs.

Lair - Great game with a couple of controller problems that have since been fixed through patches. I fully recommend it to anyone with a PS3. It does not play like a regular game though, so please play with an open mind and enjoy the beautiful soundtrack.

Serious Sam: The Random Encounter - Great game to waste time with. Really just a long flash game that one could very well see on a website like Kongregate.

Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Serious Sam: The First Encounter, inspired largely by Iaredios' mentioning the game earlier in this thread. I needed a game with a small download to play while Dragon Age: Inquisition was downloading, so Serious Sam seemed like a good bet. I didn't play much, but it was good, insane fun.

Dragon Age: Inquisition. I've had this game for a while now, but I was unable to play it due to not having a 64-bit version of Windows. However, with my recent hard drive crash necessitating the purchase of a new hard drive, I was more or less forced to get 64-bit sooner than I had expected. I just started playing this morning, and I like it so far. It's going to take a little while to get the hang of the combat (it's a little more active than Origins, which is kind of weird when the game otherwise plays almost the exact same way), but I like it. I also like having a voiced protagonist. I don't think the lack of a voiced protagonist hurt Origins any, but it's still nice to have one here.

• Upvote 1

I've played Star Wars Battlefront II again. This time I tried out the 'The Force Awakens: Second Galactic Civil War' mod. It's quite cool to play with First Order and Resistance skins. I found the movie to be disappointing, but the soldier aesthetics certainly weren't, and now I can play with them. :D

I then tried to play Fallout: New Vegas, but I got these red diamonds and explanation points popping up everywhere, and after lookign it up it seems the game has aquired some corruptions while downloading. Now I have to wait another three days for it to partially re-install itself. At least i created my character before I bailed. When fixed, all shall fear the might of seniorita 'Courier Jane' (yes, that is her full name).

Serious Sam: The First Encounter, inspired largely by Iaredios' mentioning the game earlier in this thread. I needed a game with a small download to play while Dragon Age: Inquisition was downloading, so Serious Sam seemed like a good bet. I didn't play much, but it was good, insane fun.

Yay, I helped. :D  Which reminds me, I should finish the game. I'm on the second to last level. Some UFO is coming from beyond Mars in response to me activating some giant obelisk radio tower and I have to prepare to fight both it an another insane horde of enemies at the Great Pyramid.

Oh, and if you get far enough, save often on the level Metropolis BUT SAVE SMART! Not to be punny, but this level gets SERIOUSLY INSANE and tempted me to quit a couple times. So far that's the height of the game for me, and even though I hated it, I hope the end/last level is more crazy than that lest I become disappointed. Fighting the first giant Lava Golem and it's army of smaller spawns (as well as the usual enemy horde) came close to it though. Lastly, don't forget to sometimes make suicidal jumps, there may be portals to secret places, while other times you'll just explode into gory pieces and respawn.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Tomodachi Life. It's fun to watch characters I've created for specific ideas acting completely out of character. (see: two characters who are star-crossed lovers in a story I'm writing AND the game breaking up)

​(one of them promptly reinvented himself as a lumberjack)

​Also Destiny. Looots of Destiny. Doesn't help there's a new free(!) DLC coming out.

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

Finally beat the first Serious Sam game. Even on 'normal' difficulty, the last few levels were seriously hard. But something happened with the final boss. I thought i was supposed to kill him as soon as the giant, four armed thing/'he' popped up, so I spent about an hour wasting ammo on him (guy is a 4th the height of the Great Pyramid) until he was almost dead, then he regenerated his health back from red to a little bit of green. I said screw this, and went to check on the info on this guy (should have done this first). Turns out you can't kill him until you get into the top of the pyramid itself. Once there, the guy/thing only had about a 4th of its health due to all the damage I did to it, so the real final boss fight was pretty short and easy. I am both relieved, and kind of disappointing. In the real last fight, he has more weapons and you are in a enclosed room witht he behemoth instead of the giant open area that I fought with him beforehand, so this final fight was no doubt supposed to be extremely difficult. Oh well.

The last, post-fight scene was funny as heck (curse BZPower's censorship...). I hope to be starting Serious Sam: The Second Encounter soon.

EDIT: Almost forgot.

I've been playing the Stainless Steel mod for Medieval II: Total War as the Crown of Aragon.

Gonna remove those Maghrebi Almohads from Andalusia, then make sure Catalan becomes Spanish, not Castillian. So doing that and doing all the achievements the Crown did historically (take over Milan, Sicily, southern Italy, and half of Greece) should prove to be a fun experience. Also renaming everything I take to their Catalan translation, I find it funny to how close it is to Latin.

The Almohad strategy to invade a rebellious part of France (Occitania) and then invade me from both the north and south with huge army stacks is smart, but no match for Hispanic Steel and asking the Pope for a military crusade into their heartland, which he happily obliged. :D My forces are spread thin, and the crusaders I've recruited keep threatening desertion because they think that 'because God is 'on their side'', they think that we can defeat the infidel hordes with beat up men and I keep going back to restock and retrain. God doesn't work like that, derps. Doesn't matter, they're primitive minded aggressive zealots, as long as they don't attack me I'm fine. *remembers Norman treachery against Roman Empire in the First Crusade and how it eventually led to the disastrous 4th crusade* ...Yeah, I hope they don't turn on me...

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Currently playing through the original Dead Space game. I'm finally going to buy The Art of Dead Space too, a concept art book for the series. :D

I might play the second one next, as I've never beaten it, or I'll skip it and play Dead Space 3.

Also played some Civilization V. That's a good way to calm down when Dead Space gets too intense.

IetTsFQ.png

• 2 weeks later...

Fallout 4

I wasn't expecting much after playing New Vegas and not really liking it, but Fallout 4 sucked me in pretty much instantly with it's great opening sequences. Crafting seems a lot more prevalent in this, so I've found myself doing a lot of that and more exploration for parts. Another thing I like about the game is the voiced protagonist, while I know people are split on it, I feel like it adds a lot of depth and relatability to the character, as opposed to a completely silent non-character protagonist.

Overall I've really been enjoying my time with Fallout 4 and am looking forward to the rest of the game.

I tried to play EUIV as the Aztecs, and failed so hard, then gave up, I think I'll try to do it again today.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished up Fire Emblem Revelation, which means I've finished Fire Emblem Fates as a whole (outside of the non-Rev DLC, outside of a few stages I have).

Thought they were all pretty fun little games, but Conquest is by far my favorite since it had the best and most varied maps, and was generally a blast to play. I think it helps that I've been playing SRPGs since I was a kid, so I am definitely part of the 'genre/series veteran' crowd they were shooting this to. Worst story of the lot, even though the story in Fates is generally weak.

Birthright was okay, I suppose. The gameplay suffered from same issues Awakening did, where the majority of maps had 'Seize the enemy/Defeat the boss' as an objective, on top of the fact it's pathetically easy- even compared to Awakening. Even on Hard, I never really felt like I had much challenge here, since once you get Takumi any semblance of balance goes out the window. Better story than Conquest, though.

Revelations was a nice middle ground, and would've been my favorite if the unit balance were better. I never used the majority of the units I got because half of them were already dead weight on the stages you recruit them on. I think part of it is also that I started getting serious burn out by the end of this, since I had played both Birthright and Conquest immediately before, and did more grinding in this game to make some of those dead-weights more viable. Best story of the bunch, for what it matters, though.

Edited by Hodor

hElbrZ6.gif