Project Reignition

Click

So, after something like three months of hinting at it and almost five months of work (I haven't had a lot of time), plus about a month of procrastinating taking the pictures, I finally present:

Project REIGNITION

groupvehiclessmall2.jpg

^Links to Larger Image^

Group Shot, No Vehicles

Full Gallery (when public)

So, just a little bit of background. I was in S&T a few months ago when I came across a topic dealing with alternate storylines that I can't find anymore. One post said that Lego had considered keeping the Inika as Matoran, but later decided against it. While discussing this, another member said "Well, that might work if they had vehicles or something." Lightbulb. I just had to try it. So, that very night, I went and built Jaller, and a week or so later, Kongu, and so on in longer intervals until I finally put the finishing touches on Hahli not too long ago. This project is supposed to be a reimagining of the Inika if they had stayed Matoran, although, since I think the Inika's masks were some of the coolest powers Lego has ever done (besides the Elda), I just had to keep them, so I decided the Red Star didn't turn them into Toa, but gave them the ability to use masks. Maybe it also fused their masks with an elemental mask as well. That's just another idea I threw around. After they landed on Voya Nui, Garan, Velika, Axonn, and Nuparu built the Matoran vehicles so they could better combat the Piraka. Overall, if they had been produced, I would have liked to see some of those Voya Nui aesthetics with them, with Voya Nui-style masks mixed with the new mask designs (I tried sketching out a few of these), maybe blended with another color like blue, white, or yellow to signify their transformation, as well as new armor and feet. I've been considering trying out sketching this, but I haven't gotten to it.

A few notes before I get into the details. I had tried to keep some basic functions in all the vehicles, but gave up after many of them turned into: "Look, it turns!" Some of them have some pretty cool functions though, if I do say so myself. I also tried to keep to the pieces available at the time, even using mostly red and blue pins (although I "forgot" a few times when it looked terrible. :D), although I also probably messed up a few times there too. You may also notices that some (okay, most) of the color schemes are not accurate or even aesthetically pleasing, because that's the pieces I had to deal with (Kongu, I'm looking at you).

Jaller

Little Lego-style intro I wrote: :D

Jaller, the noble Captain of the Guard must be sure nothing gets past him as Piraka attack from all sides, but he comes prepared with his blazing-fast Lava Speeder, Energized Guard Staff and Red-Star activated Mask of Fate to burn through any challenge.

(also features more pictures if you want a better look)

Main Pic

Driving the Lava Speeder

Just Jaller

Lava Speeder Side

Notes: I didn't have enough pieces in Mata Red to build him, so I just left him Metru Red. Doesn't look too bad. The Guard Staff, before any of you cry "It's modified!! :o," was actually a Tahu Sword that had been chewed, broken, etc. I just reused it instead of throwing it away, and it looks a lot better.

Kongu

This carefree Le-Matoran must quickly learn to keep it cool under pressure, but with his Wind Glider, Buzz Saw Staff, and Red-Star activated Mask of Telepathy, he'll find he is ready to blow the Piraka away.

Full Gallery (public)

Main Pic

Driving the Wind Glider

Kongu

Wind Glider Side

Gear Setup

Notes: This guy is the worst of the lot, but it isn't my fault. Lego doesn't have all that many pieces in lime green or Teal, so I had to improvise. The Wind Glider is based on a design I had forever ago to build an Ornithropter (flying vehicle with flapping bird-like wings), but I have a confession to make: I messed up the gear differential so the gears don't have enough power to flap the wings all that well. No idea why I gave him that silver Matau Staff; if anyone has a better idea, please suggest it.

Matoro

Matoro never felt that he could be a hero, yet now he is tasked with saving an entire island! With his Snow-blade, Kanoka Disk Launcher, and Red-Star activated Mask of Spirit, he can freeze his foes in their tracks!

Full Gallery (Public)

Main Pic

Driving the Snow-Blade

Matoro

Snow-Blade Side, Ski retracted

Notes: The Snow-Blade started as an attempt to build a Snow Mobile based on the tracks from my old Mutated Muaka, but somewhere along the way, it turned into a tank. The ski extends for "more speed on ice," although it was really a sad attempt at a function. Honestly, Matoro seems like the last person who would drive a tank, and I would have given him his Turaga's staff instead of Kongu, but I didn't have it, and I just gave him a disk launcher (with a Throwbot disk) because he was one of the first Mata-Nui Matoran to find out about Metru Nui from the Turaga.

Hewkii

Brave Po-Matoran and Kohlii Star Hewkii is now the only hope for a group of Matoran on a distant island. With his powerful Mobile Turret, Kohlii Stick, and Red-Star activated Mask of Accuracy, this Matoran is ready for anything.

Full Gallery (Public)

Main Pic

Driving the Mobile Turret

Hewkii

Turret Side

Notes: I managed to find him a tan chestplate since my preview of him with the Rock Lion, and now, he is definitely one of my favorite Matoran. Also, with a Mask of Accuracy, what better vehicle for him than a Turret? :D

Nuparu

This proud inventor is being put to the ultimate test designing vehicles so he and his friends can take on the Piraka, but he has saved the best for himself with the Boxor 2.0 and Red Star activated Mask of Flight so he can crush the competition!

Full Gallery (Public)

Main Pic

Driving the Boxor 2.0

Nuparu

Boxor 2.0

Punching Mechanism

Notes: Nuparu was one of the easiest Matoran to build because practically every piece I wanted was in the right color, and he turned out great! The Boxor, not so much. I was originally going to do a little cart thing, but that ended up with too many pieces and overlapped a bit with Matoro's Snow-Blade. Then, I thought "well, why not give him a new Boxor?" And so I tried to make one using few pieces, and it's decent. The punching mechanism is pretty cool though; it's based off the Power Miners Granite Grinder, although you may recognize my version from this guy a while back.

Hahli

Once a calm Ga-Matoran, Hahli is now the last defense against the Piraka on Voya Nui, but with her Hoverboat, Aqua Scythe, and Red-Star activated Mask of Detection, she is more than ready to wash the villains away!

Main Pic

Riding the Hoverboat

Hahli

Hoverboat side

Notes: I gave Hahli a different chestplate to show she is a different gender, and it doesn't look too bad. It's not exactly good for the Rahkshi head because the pin is bending, but I liked it enough. The Hoverboat is probably one of my best vehicles with a fairly cohesive color scheme and solid look with few parts, although I could only find one propeller that doesn't look great.

Well, that concludes part one. :D I've got another part in the works that I just have one more guy to finish. Now that those guys are done, I'll have more time and parts to put towards my BBCC entry, which is an old idea Reborn in a New Way that will Wash away the competition. :D Unfortunately, I have decided I only want to save one Matoran and one Vehicle. I'm thinking Hewkii, Matoro, or Hahli, and the Turret or Lava Speeder. Any other suggestions?

As always, enjoy, comment, critique, etc. Thanks for reading that wall of text!

Edited by Click
  • Upvote 1

Oh my gosh!!! This reminds me so much of one of Wattati's (that one video site that I cannot mention by name) videos where Matoran raced in slippers! Awesome job here! I especially love the mini swamp strider.

• Upvote 1

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

I suppose that in order to be viable Toa set alternatives, the vehicles had to be fairly small. To me, some of these vehicles look a little small to look good. I'm not sure the reclined seating position some of them have works for battle vehicles. Kongu, Hewkii and Nuparu look ready for the action, the other three look more like they're just cruising about. A better vehicle basis would have been something like Vultraz's skyfighter or Lesovikks sea sled. The builds for the bodies are simple, but effective and posable.

Now for some individual review points:

Jallers vehicle looks a bit odd, I think down to the front wheels which for me are two small. I'll mention the reclined seating thing again, because the concept is there, and I think it would perhaps be better as a bike, or quad bike, or something with two wheels at the front and 3 at the back. Do the steering controls actually steer, or are they just aesthetic? I also like Jallers staff. I'm not sure where I stand on cutting parts, but as a bespoke tool piece this looks good.

For Kongu's vehicle I again think the wheels are perhaps too small. Being a glider, I'm not sure it necessarily needs wheels though. If flight is possible, it might be better to give it fold in legs or something, like the Ussanui.

Matoro's vehicle to me looks the most out of place as a combat vehicle, it looks like a wheelchair. Out of a battle situation, its very nice though, I like it. But it looks a little odd for purpose.

Hewkii is one of the best here. The turret legs could perhaps attach in a smoother fashion, but it looks mechanical, and I like the addition of the Rahkshi armour on the sphere launcher.

Nuparu's Boxor 2.0 looks good, but I think it would be better if he had the launcher in the shoulder area (much like the inika set now I think about it), and have two arms like the original boxor with the sea hook pieces.

Hahli looks almost as odd as Matoro's vehicle, particularly in the battle context. However it looks the neatest, and smoothest.

I applaud you for the effort of doing all these. Whenever I attempt a large scale project with multiple MOCs, even small ones, I always find my resources become limited very quickly, and the last few usually end up being mediocre. All of these are of a good standard, so well done on that.

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

As someone who loves the Inika, their original Matoran forms, and the Boxor...these are my favorite MOCs I have seen in a while.

I also appreciate the *complete* usage of sand-blue parts on Matoro. That's a color I feel is underutilized.

My favorite matoran in the bunch is Nuparu, and my favorite vehicle is a tie between the Boxor and Hewkii's crawler.

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad other people like this more than I do. :P

Oh my gosh!!! This reminds me so much of one of Wattati's (that one video site that I cannot mention by name) videos where Matoran raced in slippers! Awesome job here! I especially love the mini swamp strider.

This actually made me look up the video, which was pretty funny. I fail to see much of a comparison, but thanks for the comment.

I suppose that in order to be viable Toa set alternatives, the vehicles had to be fairly small. To me, some of these vehicles look a little small to look good. I'm not sure the reclined seating position some of them have works for battle vehicles. Kongu, Hewkii and Nuparu look ready for the action, the other three look more like they're just cruising about. A better vehicle basis would have been something like Vultraz's skyfighter or Lesovikks sea sled. The builds for the bodies are simple, but effective and posable.

Now for some individual review points:

Jallers vehicle looks a bit odd, I think down to the front wheels which for me are two small. I'll mention the reclined seating thing again, because the concept is there, and I think it would perhaps be better as a bike, or quad bike, or something with two wheels at the front and 3 at the back. Do the steering controls actually steer, or are they just aesthetic? I also like Jallers staff. I'm not sure where I stand on cutting parts, but as a bespoke tool piece this looks good.

For Kongu's vehicle I again think the wheels are perhaps too small. Being a glider, I'm not sure it necessarily needs wheels though. If flight is possible, it might be better to give it fold in legs or something, like the Ussanui.

Matoro's vehicle to me looks the most out of place as a combat vehicle, it looks like a wheelchair. Out of a battle situation, its very nice though, I like it. But it looks a little odd for purpose.

Hewkii is one of the best here. The turret legs could perhaps attach in a smoother fashion, but it looks mechanical, and I like the addition of the Rahkshi armour on the sphere launcher.

Nuparu's Boxor 2.0 looks good, but I think it would be better if he had the launcher in the shoulder area (much like the inika set now I think about it), and have two arms like the original boxor with the sea hook pieces.

Hahli looks almost as odd as Matoro's vehicle, particularly in the battle context. However it looks the neatest, and smoothest.

I applaud you for the effort of doing all these. Whenever I attempt a large scale project with multiple MOCs, even small ones, I always find my resources become limited very quickly, and the last few usually end up being mediocre. All of these are of a good standard, so well done on that.

I'll keep those tips in mind if I ever build a vehicle again. It does look quite comfy in some of those seats, doesn't it? :D Glad you like the Matoran, that was exactly what I was going for, and I think it turned out well and is very versatile.

For Jaller's speeder, the larger back wheels were sort of intentional to give it more of a speeder or hot rod look, I guess. The same wheels would make it look more like a buggy, which would seem more appropriate. I decided to keep this one around, so maybe I'll revamp it a bit. The controls do steer, which was his intended function (which I totally forgot to mention).

I would have given Kongu something else, maybe making it more of a mechanical bird-like thing, but I was running low on pieces I wanted to use, and I needed something to attach the function to. The original design had a tread, which would probably work better. I'll keep that in mind too.

Matoro's vehicle really was one of my least favorites because it doesn't fit him at all. It looks like a sad attempt at a tank, especially with the side-mounted launchers. If I were to do this again, I'd go with more of a snowmobile.

Hewkii's was also a contestant for me to keep, but I decided I liked Jaller's buggy slightly more. The build is pretty posable and low on piece count, but I see what you mean when you said it could use a better connection. It does look a bit bulky. The Rahkshi armor is actually borrowed from my old self-MOC, and I really think it looks good here.

I like your idea about the shoulder mounted launcher, although I still like the Nuva armor better as fists. It looks more natural, even if it is changed from the original. This is the Boxor 2.0 after all. Still think it looks too basic and skeletal, and I could have done so much better. This would probably be the first I would revamp.

I don't exactly understand what's wrong with Hahli's vehicle, maybe just the high base, but I was pretty proud of it, especially the smooth look.

Wow this looks really good!! :D

Great job with the custom matoran! I really like them :)

The vehicles look good overall, in my opinion, and some look better than others but overall good :)

Thank you!

As someone who loves the Inika, their original Matoran forms, and the Boxor...these are my favorite MOCs I have seen in a while.

I also appreciate the *complete* usage of sand-blue parts on Matoro. That's a color I feel is underutilized.

My favorite matoran in the bunch is Nuparu, and my favorite vehicle is a tie between the Boxor and Hewkii's crawler.

Glad you like the Boxor, even though I've repeatedly stated I hate it. :D

I really like the sand-blue, and since I just ordered Matoro's '03 form, I thought I might as well use all the sand blue and make him accurate. It's such a nice color, I don't understand why anyone would use anything else. :D

Thanks for the comments again. Quick question though. Does anyone like the commentary I do on my MOCs? I've been trying to cut it down so my posts don't turn into a wall of text (although this one would have anyways), but maybe someone out there likes to learn the little things about each one.

I don't exactly understand what's wrong with Hahli's vehicle, maybe just the high base, but I was pretty proud of it, especially the smooth look.

I meant the vehicle was neat looking, but it just doesn't look right for purpose again. It kind of looks like she's sitting on a little boat or something, just watching the world drift by. Since I made my first post though, I've realised this could be rectified pretty easily, if you make her stand up. Then it'll be like a surf/hover board type thing, and it would be perfect.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

I'm amazed. Whenever I attempt at functions, it ends up taking up half of what I build, it not hidden at all, and half the time breaks pieces.

I also kinda like how Jaller has that "slick dude" pose in the main picture with all of them in the vehicles.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.