Mindstorms Robot Beats Human Record for Rubik's Cube Solving

In another fantastic display of technical prowess and Lego-based engineering, Mike Dobson and David Gilday build Cubesolver II, the Rubik's Cube-solving robot able to knock more than three tenths of a second off the fastest human time. Powered by a Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone and four Mindstorms NXT units, the robot can complete a fully-scrambled cube in a mere 5.35 seconds. Click to see it in action.

View the full article

First, IBM has Blue Gene (Cracked the human genome, and many other things), Deep Blue (creamed Garry Kasparov at chess), and Watson (won the highest scoring Jeopardy! game). Now LEGO has the NXT?!!? Something isn't working here. :???: That is insane. :bowdown: All hail our computer overlords.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

sometimes I'm firghtened by what technology is becoming. If Lego Bricks can do things better than a human, I seriously don't want to live to be 80. By the way, why is it OK for them to tell us to watch the video, even though it's on the site we can't say?

Edited by Zarohum

I don't know whether to clap or scream. It's freaky -- 30 seconds better than a human? It's gonna turn into the Ternminator soon.

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

That's amazing! I wonder how much time they spent in making that thing. O.o

Edited by Geo_212

Play Battlefield 3 on PS3? Consider yourself pretty good at it? Add me so we can dominate together! PM me for my gamertag if you're interested! xD

-Sincerely, a person who's sick of incompetent teammates.

My goodness.. How long before we have them cooking our dinner?

We already do, it's called a microwave. Though I do hope that robots never cooked fancy meals, it would take the art out of cooking. Anyway, onto this- I have one word, and it's one word I rarely use unless what I'm talking about truly is: Awesome

6244916474_c93fd6d552.jpg

6251674125_b0dbed809a.jpg

6252203236_c35c6ab8f3.jpg

It does make me wonder if they could mess up the system by putting in a cube that doesn't have nine squares of six different colors, as in, one green side is painted white. It would keep going until it ran out of juice, probably. MINDSTORMS ABUSE!

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

It does make me wonder if they could mess up the system by putting in a cube that doesn't have nine squares of six different colors, as in, one green side is painted white. It would keep going until it ran out of juice, probably. MINDSTORMS ABUSE!

That's like giving a blind-from-birth boy a cat and saying it's a dog.Meanie. :'(

charr_sig.jpg

With the clamor of anvils and the thunder of guns, we rip each day from life's teeth.

This is how you can tell it's only 18 more years 'til Skynet. XDBut, seriously, even I can't solve a Rubix cube. However, I am convinced that mine is broken. I mixed it up in July, after all. Who could possibly manage to spend several months on a (working) Rubix cube?

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

I'm not that good at solving a Rubik's Cube. I know the algorithm, but am not tis quick at it. I know how to take one apart and put it together solved though. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

O.O Wow ... Don't mind me while I pick up my jaw from the floor.

pony_herd_really_tiny.png

In the meantime, you shall be loved and tolerated.

-----------------------------------------

I am both Toa Mata Nui and Dragonfly the Luminescent

-----------------------------------------

Was it the NXT or the NXT 2.0?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

• 2 weeks later...

LEGO will take over the universe and start the Brickopolean Interuniversal Empire.Mark it down, I said it, in 5,000 years it'll happen, and I'll have the last laugh.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching