Dino 2012 Theme

Orion Tria

There is fossil evidence that points towards dinosaurs having feathers, though. What makes dinos having feathers any different from dinos having scales? You're not forced to believe birds evolved from them if they had feathers any more than you're forced to believe reptiles evolved from them if they had scales. I'm trying not to get this into a religious debate, but there's no reason to assume that because scientists draw certain conclusions from the fossil evidence, you're forced to disagree with the evidence itself. After all, it's perfectly within a divine creator's power to give dinosaurs feathers, scales, or even polka dots if that creator so chose.

Actually I am fairly sure there has been only one fossil discovered that had feathers. Those fossils could have easily been hoaxed. One dinosaur discovery that was supposed to be the missing link between dinosaurs and birds was a hoax. It turned out that it had the body parts of a micro raptor and a primitive bird and been hoaxed. There is no evidence that dinosaurs had feathers. It is a hypothesis that has not been proven yet. It likely might not ever be proven or disprove. Evolution has not even been proven. The fact is we will never know everything. There are hundreds of new species discovered all the time. There are extinct species rediscovered. There are "cryptids" supposedly running around that nobody can prove or disprove. We don't practically anything about space and other solar sysyems. We are always learning, but if there is one thing I have learned in science it is that we will never know everything. My point is how can we even learn about something that is long extinct. When dinosaurs were first discovered the fossils were put together incorrectly. How can we know that the bones are assembled correctly today? It is all guess work. I am not saying it is impossible that dinosaurs had feathers, but there is no proof either. I find it far more likely that dinosaurs had scales. They were reptiles after all. There is not a single reptile today that has feathers. How could feathers even evolve from scales? I am aspiring to become a biologist, specifically a herpetologist. There just is just no evidence for them having feathers. I would reavaluate my opinion if I saw evidence, but there is none.

Anyway, moving on from that subject, what do people here think of the ethics of this theme compared to past Dino themes? Naturally it's less violent than Dino Attack, but at the same time it has plenty of weapons compared to Dino 2010 and Adventurers Dino Island. There are lots of tranquilizer guns and even flick-fire missiles. Plus, the vehicles and base are equipped with lots of spikes, presumably for defense.Personally, I think it strikes a good balance between the ethics of past dino themes, with the dino hunters being ethical but also pragmatic enough not to face the dinos without any sort of defense. The tranquilizer guns are an effective way for the dino hunters to subdue the dinosaurs without having to use violent force against them. And the spikes and barbed wire seem like more of a deterrent than something that would be used to deliberately hurt the dinosaurs.Speaking of deterrents, I've noticed that in the research base set, the fence is presumably meant to be electrified to further prevent breakouts. But the sticker sheets show some conspicuously snapped wires, so that reduces the base's defenses and makes the situation a bit more dire. I think this was a very good design decision! It evens the odds a bit during play. The only problem with it is that there's no way of showing the wires intact, and I can't think of any way this could be done effectively that wouldn't be obtrusive during play.

I think that this is the best dino theme so far. The dinosaurs are accurate in almost everything. This is also a fairly peaceful theme. The flick fire missiles have a "stun goo" type thing. In the HQ the flick fires are connected to vats and tubs of it. I see this as a very clever them and strikes a balance between dino island and dino attack in the violence which is good. Even if it was violent LEGO always seems to make more violent themes family-friendly. I mean look at star wars. In the commecials and video games the violence is turned into somthing goofy. When somebody loses a head they get down on their hands and knees and end up putting it back on backwards. It ends up being charming. I really hope they continue this theme. Imagine a second wave under water! Edited by reptiman

Do you want to have a theme revolving around mythical beasts? If you do please support my Dragon Slayers project on CUUSOO link: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7694

BZPRPG profile:

http://www.bzpower.c...opic=123&st=120

My latest MOC! http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9379

There is fossil evidence that points towards dinosaurs having feathers, though. What makes dinos having feathers any different from dinos having scales? You're not forced to believe birds evolved from them if they had feathers any more than you're forced to believe reptiles evolved from them if they had scales. I'm trying not to get this into a religious debate, but there's no reason to assume that because scientists draw certain conclusions from the fossil evidence, you're forced to disagree with the evidence itself. After all, it's perfectly within a divine creator's power to give dinosaurs feathers, scales, or even polka dots if that creator so chose.

Actually I am fairly sure there has been only one fossil discovered that had feathers. Those fossils could have easily been hoaxed. One dinosaur discovery that was supposed to be the missing link between dinosaurs and birds was a hoax. It turned out that it had the body parts of a micro raptor and a primitive bird and been hoaxed. There is no evidence that dinosaurs had feathers. It is a hypothesis that has not been proven yet. It likely might not ever be proven or disprove. Evolution has not even been proven. The fact is we will never know everything. There are hundreds of new species discovered all the time. There are extinct species rediscovered. There are "cryptids" supposedly running around that nobody can prove or disprove. We don't practically anything about space and other solar sysyems. We are always learning, but if there is one thing I have learned in science it is that we will never know everything. My point is how can we even learn about something that is long extinct. When dinosaurs were first discovered the fossils were put together incorrectly. How can we know that the bones are assembled correctly today? It is all guess work. I am not saying it is impossible that dinosaurs had feathers, but there is no proof either. I find it far more likely that dinosaurs had scales. They were reptiles after all. There is not a single reptile today that has feathers. How could feathers even evolve from scales? I am aspiring to become a biologist, specifically a herpetologist. There just is just no evidence for them having feathers. I would reavaluate my opinion if I saw evidence, but there is none.
So in that case, if any fossil evidence is potentially a hoax or a mistake, then what makes you so sure that dinosaurs actually existed? :unsure: Skepticism is good, but I don't see why you keep bringing up evolution when not belief or disbelief in evolution doesn't really have any bearing on the conversation or offer any reason dinosaurs couldn't or wouldn't have had feathers. I can see there's no hope of either of us convincing the other of the likelihood of feathered or non-feathered dinosaurs, so perhaps it's best to just drop the conversation now. I don't mean this as any insult to your beliefs. It's just that this conversation keeps skirting the edge of what is considered acceptable by BZPower rules and neither of us really have much to gain from it continuing.

Anyway, moving on from that subject, what do people here think of the ethics of this theme compared to past Dino themes? Naturally it's less violent than Dino Attack, but at the same time it has plenty of weapons compared to Dino 2010 and Adventurers Dino Island. There are lots of tranquilizer guns and even flick-fire missiles. Plus, the vehicles and base are equipped with lots of spikes, presumably for defense.Personally, I think it strikes a good balance between the ethics of past dino themes, with the dino hunters being ethical but also pragmatic enough not to face the dinos without any sort of defense. The tranquilizer guns are an effective way for the dino hunters to subdue the dinosaurs without having to use violent force against them. And the spikes and barbed wire seem like more of a deterrent than something that would be used to deliberately hurt the dinosaurs.Speaking of deterrents, I've noticed that in the research base set, the fence is presumably meant to be electrified to further prevent breakouts. But the sticker sheets show some conspicuously snapped wires, so that reduces the base's defenses and makes the situation a bit more dire. I think this was a very good design decision! It evens the odds a bit during play. The only problem with it is that there's no way of showing the wires intact, and I can't think of any way this could be done effectively that wouldn't be obtrusive during play.

I think that this is the best dino theme so far. The dinosaurs are accurate in almost everything. This is also a fairly peaceful theme. The flick fire missiles have a "stun goo" type thing. In the HQ the flick fires are connected to vats and tubs of it. I see this as a very clever them and strikes a balance between dino island and dino attack in the violence which is good. Even if it was violent LEGO always seems to make more violent themes family-friendly. I mean look at star wars. In the commecials and video games the violence is turned into somthing goofy. When somebody loses a head they get down on their hands and knees and end up putting it back on backwards. It ends up being charming. I really hope they continue this theme. Imagine a second wave under water!
I definitely agree about TLG's success at turning potentially violent themes into something socially acceptable. A lot of people feel this makes some LEGO themes childish and unrealistic but personally I think as a toy company being able to tone down violence and other mature themes reveals a great deal of integrity in the way the LEGO Group operates.A continuation of this theme would be great, but for some reason I get a feeling it won't happen, which is a shame. There are so many more dinosaurs that could be released. If the theme does end, then I hope when we get another dino theme a couple years down the line (because of course dinosaurs have lasting appeal and will probably spring up from time to time), it will continue making use of this "style" LEGO has used for the dinos so that future dinosaur figures will be compatible with these ones.

I am just going to say why I keep bringing up evolution real quick and then we can end this. Most scientists believe that birds evolved from dinosaurs and to fill that bridge they use the hypothesis of them having feathers. So evolution does have to do with dinosaurs having feathers actually. That is why I kept bringing up evolution. Sorry for the confusion. I hope we can move on now. I had a great debate with you :) My opinion is purely my own beliefs as a person hoping to enter the sciences. I know what you mean about the theme continuing though. With the summer rummors and pictures leaked with no mention of dino it might be a pharaohs quest one wave line. I am still hoping the pull a kingdoms line on us next january though. A dino lab would be amazing. While impractical as it has been released as a oversized dino named "raptor" I would love for TLG to make my favirote dino deinonychus..

Do you want to have a theme revolving around mythical beasts? If you do please support my Dragon Slayers project on CUUSOO link: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7694

BZPRPG profile:

Wow,the Ceylophysis is supposed to be half the minifigure size,and the velociraptor should be the size of the minifigure.Tomorrow i'm getting Raptor chase,and i'll make some test videos and post them for you guys.-CDP

Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

This is getting off topic but I strongly oppose everybody believing every dino had feathers. I personally don't believe that birds evolved from dinos and reptiles. SOME dinos had feathers but anymore people think that T-rex even had feathers. I pesonally think deinonychus did not have feathers. I believe velociraptor, troodon, and some others did but, I can't see deinonychus, utharaptor and other large dromaeosauridae's having feathers. On the topic of it being a revamp. Is every theme that has had dragons a revamp of dragon knights? Seriously it has similar elements but is NOT the same at all. This is way different than dino attack. The only sets that have any resemblance to dino attack are raptor chase and ambush attack. Just because it has dinos does not mean it is a revamp of dino attack.

Well of course, I never said all Dinos had feathers, only a few ever did.

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was browsing through LEGO.com when I stumbled upon the Dino website. I have to say, it is a very nice website, even though some of the sections are still "Coming Soon". I also got a chance to see some of the sets again, and I'm quite impressed with them. I'll probably buy my first Dino set pretty soon.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

So, I was browsing through LEGO.com when I stumbled upon the Dino website. I have to say, it is a very nice website, even though some of the sections are still "Coming Soon". I also got a chance to see some of the sets again, and I'm quite impressed with them. I'll probably buy my first Dino set pretty soon.

I highly reccomend them. The dinos are amazing. I have to agree the DINO site is one of the nicest ones on the whole LEGO site. It seems they put alot of effort in the site.

BZPRPG profile:

I highly reccomend them. The dinos are amazing. I have to agree the DINO site is one of the nicest ones on the whole LEGO site. It seems they put alot of effort in the site.
Yeah, it is really well made. I can't wait to see what online games they put on it, because one of the Dino Attack games was extremely fun. I'm expecting something of a similar sort for games on the site.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Yeah, it is really well made. I can't wait to see what online games they put on it, because one of the Dino Attack games was extremely fun. I'm expecting something of a similar sort for games on the site.
I remember playing the Dino Attack game! It was so much fun. It is a shame it is gone now. They actually do have a game on the front page oof the DINO site. It is an adventure type gameplay style. The graphics are really good and it has cool cutscenes too!

BZPRPG profile:

Yep,it's a good game,but it has some glitches,but other than that,it's a good game.I like how the minifigure in the game resembles Johny Thunder!-CDP

Yes that was a great throwback to adventurers. Ah that curly rediculous stache was so hilarious. I think this might make a second wave, fingers crossed though.

BZPRPG profile:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The main character's name in the Base section is Josh Thunder.

The name Josh Thunder is perfect. I've constantly heard people say that he looks like Johnny Thunder, and now we find out that they are related! :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Reading through the topic, confused why people are complaining about the size of the animals (Especially raptors, Re: Utahraptor Ostrommaorstrum), and as of so far, nobody has even mentioned the pronated hands and hands on the Pterosaurs.

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

The easter egg is definately something I am glad to see. Many people were hoping for a tie on to Pharaohs Quest, but this is better. I am glad to see refrences to these old themes.

Reading through the topic, confused why people are complaining about the size of the animals (Especially raptors, Re: Utahraptor Ostrommaorstrum), and as of so far, nobody has even mentioned the pronated hands and hands on the Pterosaurs.

I would say that the reason is because the supposed Utahraptor simply got dubbed "Raptor." I mean it is also a odd size for any Dromaeosaur other than a couple of them. Most were pretty small.

BZPRPG profile:

So, I haven't gotten a LEGO set in a while, and this withdrawal is starting to hurt me. I've been waiting for the next wave of Ninjago, but after looking at some Dino sets, I kind of want one. What would people suggest for me to get started with the theme (not a huge set; something like set 7051 Tripod Invader got me started with Alien Conquest)?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I'd say Ambush attack (a bit overpriced, but the awesome SUV is likely worth it) or Raptor chase. It has a giant Jeep... thingie and a beautiful Green Utahraptor. But with pronated hands. *rages*

5882 Ambush Attack is a nice set, with some good pieces and stuff. $8.99 isn't too bad, so I'll look into getting that. Thanks for recommending it to me. :)I'm really liking 5884 Raptor Chase as well, and that Dinosaur is awesome. I also like the vehicle in it, so I'll probably get that one if available. Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Easily Raptor Chase if you don't mind parting with a bit of money. That set is easily one of the best sets for this theme. The Raptor is really nice. The only reason I would start off with this set instead of ambush attack is that the raptor can pose. It gives you a better feel for the dinos which are one of the main draws of the set. The minifigs are also really good in that set. Either of those sets works well though.

BZPRPG profile:

I'd say Ambush attack (a bit overpriced, but the awesome SUV is likely worth it) or Raptor chase. It has a giant Jeep... thingie and a beautiful Green Utahraptor. But with pronated hands. *rages*

5882 Ambush Attack is a nice set, with some good pieces and stuff. $8.99 isn't too bad, so I'll look into getting that. Thanks for recommending it to me. :)I'm really liking 5884 Raptor Chase as well, and that Dinosaur is awesome. I also like the vehicle in it, so I'll probably get that one if available.
If I were you, I'd just save up for the base, seeing as that has dinosaurs matching the two from those sets, plus a T-Rex. If not, I'd recommend Triceratops Tracker, since that's the only one that has a unique dino.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Easily Raptor Chase if you don't mind parting with a bit of money. That set is easily one of the best sets for this theme. The Raptor is really nice. The only reason I would start off with this set instead of ambush attack is that the raptor can pose. It gives you a better feel for the dinos which are one of the main draws of the set. The minifigs are also really good in that set. Either of those sets works well though.

I have no problem spending money on LEGO. When I go to a LEGO store, my family tends to buy a whole theme at a time (like we have done with Ninjago 2011 and Hero Factory 2011), :P

5882 Ambush Attack is a nice set, with some good pieces and stuff. $8.99 isn't too bad, so I'll look into getting that. Thanks for recommending it to me. :)I'm really liking 5884 Raptor Chase as well, and that Dinosaur is awesome. I also like the vehicle in it, so I'll probably get that one if available.
If I were you, I'd just save up for the base, seeing as that has dinosaurs matching the two from those sets, plus a T-Rex. If not, I'd recommend Triceratops Tracker, since that's the only one that has a unique dino.
Thanks for the recommendation. I really have liked that set ever since it was introduced. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I have no problem spending money on LEGO. When I go to a LEGO store, my family tends to buy a whole theme at a time (like we have done with Ninjago 2011 and Hero Factory 2011), :P

Thanks for the recommendation. I really have liked that set ever since it was introduced. :)
If you want something bigger than go with the HQ. I have it and it is a very fun set and the dinos are amazing. Most of the theme is amazing though so you just might have to pick one. I would go look at some reviews and see which one you think would appeal to you most. Let us know which one you get. I would also like to see some pics of it too :begging: !

BZPRPG profile:

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering, but have there ever (or will there) be any LEGO Dino polybagged impulse sets? It seems like the kind of theme that would have them and would have decent ones as well, but I don't know if there are any.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Just wondering, but have there ever (or will there) be any LEGO Dino polybagged impulse sets? It seems like the kind of theme that would have them and would have decent ones as well, but I don't know if there are any.

I don't think there have been. And I'm not sure how it could: the smallest boxed set already has a polybag-sized vehicle and the smallest new dinosaur. The only ways a polybag set could stay a reasonable scale would be to include only a vehicle and no dinosaur (and I can't imagine a Dino set with no dinosaur selling well), or a minifig and dinosaur and not much else.I'm fairly sure we've seen all the potential Dino sets unless the theme continues into next year. But I'm not ruling out that possibility, since LEGO has referred to the theme as "evergreen", a designation traditionally given only to recurring themes like City, Castle, and Space.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up my first LEGO Dino set today at Target for a good $19.99. I chose set 5883 Tower Takedown because it's a decent size and I happened to have a 20 dollar bill to pay for it. It was a fun build, with a nice action feature. The launching net feature works well compared to similar attempts to do the same thing in other themes. The little speedboat is also a nifty little addition to the set, with some NPU. I really like the new gun with the clip at the top. It allows for multiple good usages on one piece. The pterodactyl is AMAZING. The wings are very nice, being somewhat flexible, and the head is beautiful. I absolutely love the lower jaw being a separate piece with a standard system rod attachment. I can see plenty of good uses for it in the future. I also like the detail on the minifigs in this theme, in this case being "Pilot". Overall, I love the set, and I love the theme. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I picked up my first LEGO Dino set today at Target for a good $19.99. I chose set 5883 Tower Takedown because it's a decent size and I happened to have a 20 dollar bill to pay for it. It was a fun build, with a nice action feature. The launching net feature works well compared to similar attempts to do the same thing in other themes. The little speedboat is also a nifty little addition to the set, with some NPU. I really like the new gun with the clip at the top. It allows for multiple good usages on one piece. The pterodactyl is AMAZING. The wings are very nice, being somewhat flexible, and the head is beautiful. I absolutely love the lower jaw being a separate piece with a standard system rod attachment. I can see plenty of good uses for it in the future. I also like the detail on the minifigs in this theme, in this case being "Pilot". Overall, I love the set, and I love the theme. :)

Nice to hear it. It sounds like I might need to pick up the set myself soon. The dinosaurs are what makes many of the sets amazing. I find them being the main draw of the set for me. Thanks for the mini review of sorts. I really hope TLG continues this theme, but I have a bad feeling about it. There have been so many one wave action themes recently. It's a shame because many of them have potential.

BZPRPG profile:

I really hope TLG continues this theme, but I have a bad feeling about it. There have been so many one wave action themes recently. It's a shame because many of them have potential.
I know what you mean. I hope for this theme to continue as well, but I understand your viewpoint on why it might not. I suspect we'll have some more of this theme, and if not, surely another similar theme will arise.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I really hope TLG continues this theme, but I have a bad feeling about it. There have been so many one wave action themes recently. It's a shame because many of them have potential.
I know what you mean. I hope for this theme to continue as well, but I understand your viewpoint on why it might not. I suspect we'll have some more of this theme, and if not, surely another similar theme will arise.
My hope is that even if this theme ends, the next Dinosaur theme will have stylistically-compatible dinos. No Dino Attack-esque mutants, please!

My hope is that even if this theme ends, the next Dinosaur theme will have stylistically-compatible dinos. No Dino Attack-esque mutants, please!
The one thing that I think it might have going for it is that this theme has a store exclusive. I don't recall any recent one wave themes having a store exclusive. Hopefully this theme will get more sets in the fall or even in 2013. I would love to see a carnotaurus in a set or even a set with a marine reptile like a plesiosaur. We will just have to wait and hope news of a next wave leaks

I completely agree. I loved the Dino Attack sets when I was younger. Looking back now though the dinosaurs were horrendous and completely inaccurate. The so called "raptor" was more similar in size to an allosaurus. Edited by reptiman

BZPRPG profile:

• 2 weeks later...

I liked dino attack better. The new dinos do not look as good, and too much yellow.

Edited by Toa of Smooth Jazz

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

I liked dino attack better. The new dinos so not look as good, and too much yellow.

The new dinos actually look like dinosaurs, as opposed to the xenomorph-like dinos in Dino Attack, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. As for the yellow, I think it gives the sets an industrial appearance, and makes the sets look less grim and more exciting. I liked the paramilitary, post-apocalyptic feel of Dino Attack, but I see no reason why they shouldn't try something different this time around.

• 3 weeks later...

The new dinos actually look like dinosaurs, as opposed to the xenomorph-like dinos in Dino Attack, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. As for the yellow, I think it gives the sets an industrial appearance, and makes the sets look less grim and more exciting. I liked the paramilitary, post-apocalyptic feel of Dino Attack, but I see no reason why they shouldn't try something different this time around.

In Dino Attack's defense, its official story says that the DInosaurs aren't true Dinosaurs, but Mutant Dinos. They were abnormal not only in their appearance, but in having various powers like eye beams, force fields and sonic screams. So it's perfectly respectable to enjoy Dino Attack's designs more for simply reason of Rule of Cool.Can't really speak for Dino 2010, though. And I suppose having in-story justification is good enough for people who care mostly for the sets only. Edited by Andrewnuva199

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

In Dino Attack's defense, its official story says that the DInosaurs aren't true Dinosaurs, but Mutant Dinos. They were abnormal not only in their appearance, but in having various powers like eye beams, force fields and sonic screams. So it's perfectly respectable to enjoy Dino Attack's designs more for simply reason of Rule of Cool.Can't really speak for Dino 2010, though. And I suppose having in-story justification is good enough for people who care mostly for the sets only.
I understand that Dino 2010/Dino Attack was a different case, and I'm all for themes like that. But I was saying that while the mutant dinos in Dino Attack were decent in their own way, there will always be a place for more "realistic" dinosaurs in LEGO themes. Personally, I feel the new Dinos are not only more poseable but also more versatile, and hope that if another dinosaur theme shows up a year or two from now (which is not unlikely, given the theme's description by LEGO as an "evergreen theme"), it'll feature dinosaurs which are stylistically compatible with both this theme's dinosaurs and other LEGO animals.

There's something sort of plasticy about the dinosaurs that i dont like..

I actually like that the dinosaurs are a bit flexible. I'm pretty sure it's so it doesn't hurt when someone wants to stab somebody with a pterodactyl wing...

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick