Dino 2012 Theme

Orion Tria

I'm quite surprised by the accuracy of these dinosaurs. I really like the Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops as they actually look like the animals they tried to represent. However, as a dinosaur-lover, I'm quite disappointed to see that Lego didn't add feathers on their raptors. That's a real shame because as a major toy company they could have set an example to show that these types of dinosaurs did have feathers and it was a big chance to get that image to the younger public. A misstep in my eyes, something I might report to Lego once. Other than that I really love these sets and I'll most likely (try to) buy them all. Especially the Defense Quarters, which is just awesome ! To people who say it's a rip-off they kinda are right. If they live in Europe to be exact, because unlike in the USA , the Dino line was called "Dino 2010" and didn't have all the weapons and stuff. Instead there were cages and the whole setting was in a jungle landscape. Like this to be precise.

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

To those wondering how this stuff might tie into the Dino Attack RPG, don't count on it. The game is still set in 2010, when Dino Attack takes place. This new line is a 2012 line, and based on how PeabodySam (the mastermind behind the RPG) interpets LEGO story, that means the line's story takes place in 2012, after Dino Attack. So aside from future refences, don't expect much. Also, I dunno if PeabodySam himself will be leaving his comments here until closer to the line's release. He's pretty paticular about avoiding the "spoilers" of preliminaery set info.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

I'm quite surprised by the accuracy of these dinosaurs. I really like the Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops as they actually look like the animals they tried to represent. However, as a dinosaur-lover, I'm quite disappointed to see that Lego didn't add feathers on their raptors. That's a real shame because as a major toy company they could have set an example to show that these types of dinosaurs did have feathers and it was a big chance to get that image to the younger public. A misstep in my eyes, something I might report to Lego once. Other than that I really love these sets and I'll most likely (try to) buy them all. Especially the Defense Quarters, which is just awesome ! To people who say it's a rip-off they kinda are right. If they live in Europe to be exact, because unlike in the USA , the Dino line was called "Dino 2010" and didn't have all the weapons and stuff. Instead there were cages and the whole setting was in a jungle landscape. Like this to be precise.

Ahem: The Tyrannosaurus isn't completely accurate; as usual the head is much too large. If you didn't notice, that Raptor isn't supposed to be a Velociraptor, but a Utahraptor, which likely didn't have feathers. But yeah the Triceratops is pretty awesome

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

Ranting time!First off, why are all of the dinosaurs made of a few ginormous pieces? I cannot be alone in wanting good LEGO dinosaurs, not action figures with LEGO connection points on their backs. [geek]Why did they call Pteranodon "Pteradon"?Coelophysis bauri and Utahraptor ostrommaysorum/Achillobator giganticus should have protofeathers, and Tyrannosaurus rex and Triceratops horridus may have had sparse quills on some places, and the Pteranodon longiceps should have fur.Furthermore, why does everything have stripes? [/geek] On the other hand, the vehicles are nice and the dinosaurs are vastly more accurate (though not perfect) than Dino Attack's. I especially like the Triceratops Trapper.

No, it was Dino 2010. Yeah, I've known about this for a couple of months now. Mainly I want the raptor set, because I absolutely ADORE Utahraptors. But those Pteranodons....

Dinosaur geek :P In a good way. But isn't that a Teridax pterodactyl?
No. Pterodactyl is a commonly used nickname for the entire family, Pteranodon is the actual Genus name. /nerd
Technically speaking, "pterodactyl" is the common (but scientifically inaccurate, not that laypeople really need to care) name for members of the order (not family, Pteranodon is in family Pteranodontidae) Pterosauria, and more properly for members of suborder Pterodactyloidea. Pterodactyl can also refer to the genus Pterodactylus. Pteranodon is in Pterodactyloidea, ergo it is a "pterodactyl", but calling it by the proper genus name is better. Calling it by the wrong genus name (one which doesn't even exist) entirely, as LEGO seems to have done, is just terrible. Also, you're supposed to italicise genus and species names, not to say that most laymen do. I'd also like to mention that I fully support using "pterodactyl" and "brontosaur" as common names for members of Pterosauria and Sauropoda, respectively, much as "robin" is the common name for Turdus migratorius or Erithacus rubecula. Common names don't really need to be scientifically accurate.Same goes for raptors and Dromaeosauridae. [/nerdier]

For everyone who wants scientific accuracy in names/feathers/etc... you do realize these sets contain humans alongside dinosaurs, correct? I don't think LEGO's goal is accurate scientific details.

To people who say it's a rip-off they kinda are right. If they live in Europe to be exact, because unlike in the USA , the Dino line was called "Dino 2010" and didn't have all the weapons and stuff. Instead there were cages and the whole setting was in a jungle landscape. Like this to be precise.

I feel like 'rip off' is the wrong term to use here. How can Lego rip off themselves? They're just taking an old idea and trying to improve upon it the same way they do with other lines. I, for one, welcome it.
BZPRPG

Ranting time!First off, why are all of the dinosaurs made of a few ginormous pieces? I cannot be alone in wanting good LEGO dinosaurs, not action figures with LEGO connection points on their backs.

Dino Attack/Dino 2010 had larger, worse pieces. ;) Why do you need to start off complaining about something that has been worse in the past?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Ranting time!First off, why are all of the dinosaurs made of a few ginormous pieces? I cannot be alone in wanting good LEGO dinosaurs, not action figures with LEGO connection points on their backs.

Dino Attack/Dino 2010 had larger, worse pieces. ;) Why do you need to start off complaining about something that has been worse in the past?
He does mention later in his post that Dino Attack's dinosaurs were worse. But on that note, I personally like dinosaurs in minifigure-based themes to be more specialized than the brick-built dinosaurs in the Creator theme. While I'm sure I'd also enjoy dinosaurs built in the style of the brick-built Atlantis or AquaRaiders sea creatures, I feel that stylistically more specialized dinosaur parts make them more consistent with regular LEGO animals than a brick-built equivalent would be. With that said, I did really like the 2001 Dinosaur sets, which despite using specialized parts had more complex builds than the Adventurers dinos before them and the Dino Attack dinosaurs that came later. They were able to reuse parts between various species, even if it came at the cost of accuracy. We see a bit of this in this theme-- I think the T-rex has the same arm pieces as the raptor-- but not to nearly the same degree. If the theme lasts more than one wave, I hope to see more of the parts from this wave get reused on more species of dinosaur.

Well, Vehicles obviously aren't going away any time soon, but I like that the smaller sets have some good quality buildings and landscaping bits in them. I might grab a few of these.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

If you didn't notice, that Raptor isn't supposed to be a Velociraptor, but a Utahraptor, which likely didn't have feathers.

Wikipedia:Although feathers have never been found in association with Utahraptor, there is strong phylogenetic evidence suggesting that all dromaeosaurids possessed them. This evidence comes from phylogenetic bracketing, which allows paleontologists to infer traits that exist in a clade based on the existence of that trait in a more basal form. The genus Microraptor is one of the oldest known dromaeosaurids, and is phylogenetically more primitive thanUtahraptor.[7] Since Microraptor possessed feathers, it is reasonable to assume that this trait was present in all of Dromaeosauridae. Feathers were very unlikely to have evolved more than once in dromaeosaurs, so assuming that Utahraptor lacked feathers would require positive evidence that it did not have them.[8] So far, there is nothing to suggest that feathers were lost in larger, more derived species of dromaeosaurs.[9]---Sounds like it's likely they actually most likely did have feathers.

6244916474_c93fd6d552.jpg

6251674125_b0dbed809a.jpg

6252203236_c35c6ab8f3.jpg

The web-site is live on Lego.com: Click Me! If you move the leafs, you can see a film reel of the Rex and Utahraptor; and a film reel of some of the scientists doing something with the tranquilizers. Individual pictures include a minifig next to an egg, a hunter with a Rex in the background, and a minifig next to Rex footprints. The background itself has a drawing of the Rex and the Coelophysis. Obviously a current placeholder for the full site, its cool for a few minutes of exploration.

Edited by Orion Tria

"Doctor Gram, and my dear Doctor Sam, welcome to Jurassic part." Yah we all know what happens when some one try to have a pet dinosaur gramps. The seem nice but once you bring in the T-rex it's big trouble. Apparently, the lego men are making the same misstake. Any way the sets are cool but unfortunately my brother, Gorag, is bugging me to make a stop motion with them when they come out. They seem pricy but at least the dinosaurs have more movement then we got back in "Dino Attack" (any one remember that, it had one of the best lego.com games [right next to Backlot])

naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gifNacuu's Slow Dance!!naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gif

I am personally excited to see a Dino Attack/2010-like theme next year. I currently am liking the look of the sets, the pieces, and the minifigs.Also, if you have gotten your November-December LEGO Club Magazine, there is a teaser for this line in the Atlantis-Pharoah's Quest-Alien Conquest crossover comic. The comic implies that Hypaxxus-8 (The alien leader in Alien Conquest) is behind the appearance of the dinosaurs on Earth.Interesting....

I am personally excited to see a Dino Attack/2010-like theme next year. I currently am liking the look of the sets, the pieces, and the minifigs.Also, if you have gotten your November-December LEGO Club Magazine, there is a teaser for this line in the Atlantis-Pharoah's Quest-Alien Conquest crossover comic. The comic implies that Hypaxxus-8 (The alien leader in Alien Conquest) is behind the appearance of the dinosaurs on Earth.Interesting....

Wait, there was a crossover comic between all those themes?! Darn it, this is one of the few reasons why I regret not getting the magazine anymore! I must have scans...

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

Not quite an exact crossover. The comic goes from Atlantis, to Egypt (PQ), then the generic big city (AC). The Brain-sucker things (Can't remember their names) from AC appear in Atlantis and the Mothership appears over Egypt and abducts Amset-Ra. It is then rounded out with the Alien Conquest Fleet being defeated by the ADU at long last.It then goes to Amset-Ra, Hypaxxus-8, and the Golden Atlantian King in the Mothership over Earth, where Amset-Ra expresses disappointment in the Alien Conquest's failure. Hypaxxus-8 states he has one more plan for world domination, and it turns to a Dino 2012 T-Rex roaring and stating release for the line is set for January.Its not exactly an exciting comic, but for people who like to hear LEGO's storylines, it is a fascinating crossover-like comic. We don't get enough of those in LEGO Magazines anymore.

Butbut...but... but...Why aren't the velociraptor's floofy?

They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

Why aren't LEGO bears, or dogs, or parrots floofy? Everybody be wantin' floofy raptors, but LEGO just isn't that good a material for floof.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The HQ looks GORGEOUS. It's not barebones like most of LEGO's "HQ" sets.

Really? I think it looks incredibly barebones. Nothin but a big pen and a few turrets. I'm not too excited. This seems incredibly similar to Dino attack, and the sets are Lego's average; the huge helicopter, little rover, boat, armored tank car, etc. that dozens of themes have. The dinosaurs look cartoony and unrealistic like usual, and this theme will probably have the lifespan of half a year.Sigh. I miss new and unique themes. I'm still waiting for another awesome futuristic line.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

The HQ looks GORGEOUS. It's not barebones like most of LEGO's "HQ" sets.

Really? I think it looks incredibly barebones. Nothin but a big pen and a few turrets.I'm not too excited. This seems incredibly similar to Dino attack, and the sets are Lego's average; the huge helicopter, little rover, boat, armored tank car, etc. that dozens of themes have. The dinosaurs look cartoony and unrealistic like usual, and this theme will probably have the lifespan of half a year.Sigh. I miss new and unique themes. I'm still waiting for another awesome futuristic line.
You're telling me the two dino themes have things in common!?

brutaka.jpg

Why aren't LEGO bears, or dogs, or parrots floofy? Everybody be wantin' floofy raptors, but LEGO just isn't that good a material for floof.
It's not that they should be... floofy... it's just that Lego could have made some plastic feathers (or a feathery design) for the raptors. they would be more realistic in that way.On an off-topic side note, when JP4 comes out, Lego better had use these dinosaurs for sets.

In my honest opinion, feathers make dinos look all the more girly. I personally dont believe in the feather theory but that is just me (creationist). I am really glad that they have Dino Lego Bricks again and you guys are just complaining about whatever you can. If they didnt have big pieces then they would just get lost easier (remember Lego Bricks are for kids as well).Just appreciate we have Dino Lego Bricks this coming year and that it can be compared to Jurassic Park. I am very excited in seeing them and wish you guys were as well. I agree with Bionicle Raptor, we dont need feather dusters as lego figures.

kiba_banner.jpg

In my honest opinion, feathers make dinos look all the more girly. I personally dont believe in the feather theory but that is just me (creationist). I am really glad that they have Dino Lego Bricks again and you guys are just complaining about whatever you can. If they didnt have big pieces then they would just get lost easier (remember Lego Bricks are for kids as well).Just appreciate we have Dino Lego Bricks this coming year and that it can be compared to Jurassic Park. I am very excited in seeing them and wish you guys were as well. I agree with Bionicle Raptor, we dont need feather dusters as lego figures.

How does being a creationist make it so you can't believe dinosaurs have feathers? We've had pretty good fossils that suggest dinos had feathers, and I don't see how dinosaurs are required to be bald for God to have created them. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/tounge2.gifAgain, I don't mind the lack of feathers seeing as I prefer LEGO figures without their textures being too complex. The only way I can see them doing feathers would be to add a "lumpier" surface texture to feathered areas, and I think that would take away from the simple elegance of the new Dino figs.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Well, just got word from a good friend who works at Toys R Us (San Diego Auto Circle one) that they received the new Dino sets along with a few other assorted 2012 sets (no Hero Factory yet, darn). Hopefully after I get some tests and homework out of the way today and tomorrow I can pick a few of the smaller ones up and get some reviews done. Inconveniently though Inheritance just came out and I can see myself spending time reading that instead...Anyone else spot these yet? Anyone actually got their hands on some of the sets?

It's too early to imagine finding any 2012 sets in stores.Wait around until the middle of December and I'm sure they'll have everything.

There are actually already some pics of the Dino sets out-of-package. So I don't think it's too early.The pics are on Flickr, which I know can be mentioned but which I'm not sure can be linked to unless comments are disabled. The advertising policy here is vague on that and other subjects.

Well, just got word from a good friend who works at Toys R Us (San Diego Auto Circle one) that they received the new Dino sets along with a few other assorted 2012 sets (no Hero Factory yet, darn). Hopefully after I get some tests and homework out of the way today and tomorrow I can pick a few of the smaller ones up and get some reviews done. Inconveniently though Inheritance just came out and I can see myself spending time reading that instead...Anyone else spot these yet? Anyone actually got their hands on some of the sets?

Isn't "tomorrow" early? We don't even get our 2012 sets until about a week before Christmas.

Well, just got word from a good friend who works at Toys R Us (San Diego Auto Circle one) that they received the new Dino sets along with a few other assorted 2012 sets (no Hero Factory yet, darn). Hopefully after I get some tests and homework out of the way today and tomorrow I can pick a few of the smaller ones up and get some reviews done. Inconveniently though Inheritance just came out and I can see myself spending time reading that instead... Anyone else spot these yet? Anyone actually got their hands on some of the sets?

Isn't "tomorrow" early? We don't even get our 2012 sets until about a week before Christmas.
It's actually pretty normal for 2012 LEGO products to start showing up a month and a half before their "official" release date-- especially January sets, since stores often want to have those out for Christmas shoppers. Which products start showing up, where in the world they start showing up, or where in the United States they start showing up are all relatively unpredictable.I've heard word of a lot of LEGO stores stocking the Dino sets already, so those would be a good place to check if you want to get the sets early.

I'm not sure if I like the new dinos, but the vehicles are pretty awesome. Plus, my favorite color happens to be yellow. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/tounge2.gif But really, my eyes are glued to the Triceratops Trapper...

"Peace. The word sounds close, yet it's still out of reach. Is there no stop to the endless cycle of war?"