User Registration is back

Meiko

By request, I re-enabled user registration on BS01 and HS01. Now you can go to http://www.biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Special:CreateAccount or http://hf.biosector01.com/wiki/Special:CreateAccount and claim your username like you've been waiting to for months. :D

I'll install a CAPTCHA tomorrow to prevent spambots, but for now, you should be good to go.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Dang it Meiko I was going to post this.

Hey but I enabled it. :3 Learn PHP, add Black Six on AIM, and then you can post it. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Dang it Meiko I was going to post this.

Hey but I enabled it. :3 Learn PHP, add Black Six on AIM, and then you can post it. :)

Yeah but.

But...

Oh whatever. At least they're up now. Don't forget about the Captchas, spambots will tear the place apart otherwise.

You can use Special:Block. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Can I ask one question before I finalize my new profile, is there a reason why I should? Just curious.

The best reason to register is for the ability to edit BS01 and HS01. The ability to create a custom user page is also a perk. You can also set a skin that we provide on the preferences tab.Sadly I don't have very many other perks that I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will think about more as soon as I post this.

bzpsig2015.png

I can add more perks if people suggest them. As it is BS01 is really boring and there is no incentive for new editors to join or for people to edit. I can change that. :3

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Hooray! I've been waiting to make an account for a while (and fix a few errors/typos I noticed).

By the way, Meiko, the link to Create Account on Biosector01 isn't working, however, the one on HFsector01 is.

Oh right, that's an extension I'm working on to help against spambots.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

By the way, I love the cat pictures. :D

That's an ingenious spambot-catcher.

Except it isn't very secure at all.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Okay folks, after FIFTY FOUR spambots registered over 2 days, I'm forced to just disable it again until Friday, which is when I can fix it.However, registration is still allowed on HS01. So far, spambots rarely, if ever, go there anyway. We might be safe for now letting it stay open over there.Any account registered on HS01 will still create an account for BS01.

bzpsig2015.png

Okay folks, after FIFTY FOUR spambots registered over 2 days, I'm forced to just disable it again until Friday, which is when I can fix it.However, registration is still allowed on HS01. So far, spambots rarely, if ever, go there anyway. We might be safe for now letting it stay open over there.Any account registered on HS01 will still create an account for BS01.

Hey did you know that the way spambots work, is, if they can't create an account on a site, they log that site, and frequently will try to revisit them. What you should do is CheckUser them and block the IP address from creating anymore accounts, ever. That's how you take care of spambots, not by detracting good users as well. By disabling it, you're losing possible contributors as well as stacking the number of "in-queue" spambots up, so you're really just making it harder on yourself.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Hey did you know that the way spambots work, is, if they can't create an account on a site, they log that site, and frequently will try to revisit them. What you should do is CheckUser them and block the IP address from creating anymore accounts, ever. That's how you take care of spambots, not by detracting good users as well. By disabling it, you're losing possible contributors as well as stacking the number of "in-queue" spambots up, so you're really just making it harder on yourself.

They've been disabling account creation for every single spambot they've blocked so far... And as far as possible contributors goes they can still sign up via HS01. Having registration through the sister site has, so far, been the most effective way of preventing spambots. If you think they haven't done it right, you do have admin now, don't you?

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

They've been disabling account creation for every single spambot they've blocked so far... And as far as possible contributors goes they can still sign up via HS01. Having registration through the sister site has, so far, been the most effective way of preventing spambots. If you think they haven't done it right, you do have admin now, don't you?

So you're saying I should give myself CheckUser manually? I'm not even bureaucrat. Sure I can do that the same way I gave myself admin on BS01 without having it given by a bureaucrat, but I'm not sure that should happen without a proper RfR submission, now should it? And yeah, disabling account creation from the Special:Block page does not mean blocking the IP. Disabling account creation sets a permission error page when that user, while logged in, tries to access Special:CreateAccount. Blocking the IP means running Special:CheckUser on that account, finding the most recent IP address(es) used by that account, and blocking and disabling account creation for it via Special:BlockIP.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

So you're saying I should give myself CheckUser manually? I'm not even bureaucrat. Sure I can do that the same way I gave myself admin on BS01 without having it given by a bureaucrat, but I'm not sure that should happen without a proper RfR submission, now should it? And yeah, disabling account creation from the Special:Block page does not mean blocking the IP. Disabling account creation sets a permission error page when that user, while logged in, tries to access Special:CreateAccount. Blocking the IP means running Special:CheckUser on that account, finding the most recent IP address(es) used by that account, and blocking and disabling account creation for it via Special:BlockIP.

I'm lost. Why wouldn't the account creation block and IP block have the same net effect?

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

I'm lost. Why wouldn't the account creation block and IP block have the same net effect?

The "account creation block" prevents the user (has to be logged in as the username that was blocked) from accessing Special:CreateAccount. Blocking the IP prevents any user on that IP address, whether logged in or not, from doing anything.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Is this why BS01 is down?

We're changing the version of the MediaWiki software. Give me 24 hours.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

what "new features" were installed?

I'm working on possibly boosting the editing capabilities, such as improving the tools in the edit window or possibly even converting to a WYSIWYG editor. I'd also like to add a few features I've developed (or helped develop), such as a wiki chat for members to use.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

• 10 years later...