Mehul

Fluff (skip this if you have tendency to TLDR) :

Hello bzpower,

I have to confess.

Despite having found this great site way back in '06 I have not really contributed much to it. Well its not due to lack of things I'd like to show you all, more I think my habit of blaming school for not having time to upload stuff... Well schools done with and I find myself without an excuse for having not posted any of my rather rudimentary drawings.

And so here I am trying to delay the inevitable by making you wade through this sea of text, but trust me the next part is relevant to the artwork...

Background (sort of relevant information) :

I started making this comic in 2009-10 as a sort of tribute to bionicle, ten years and whatnot, and decided to create my own interpretation of the events during the release of the kanohi dragon whilst foreshadowing the Toa-Darkhunter War and the Nui Stone. As you can imagine the scope of the project was a bit too much especially considering the amount of work you have to do if you choose science as a stream... (see what I mean about blaming school ;) ).

Anyway long story short after creating 7 pages inking 2 of them and creating the rough version of the 8th page in late 2010 I gave up.

Which brings us to now, after 2 years I am uploading these because I have nothing else to do.

The artwork (finally!) :

Cover

Page 01

Page 02

Page 03

Page 04

Page 05

Page 06

Page 07

Page 08

Stuff to keep in mind (more fluff) :

The pages were made on roughly A3 size paper (297 × 420 mm) and as a result there was no chance in karzahni that it would fit, as a result each page is made of to scans welded together via photoshop magic and the result is not ideal. For some reason (my kane-ra dropping scanner) a shadow appeared at the sides of the scans which I could not remove and so when the page was welded a black line appeared in the middle.
You'll have to trust me that these look better in person.

Random (...) :

Despite it being pretty old constructive comments are appreciated but are not required.

I thank you for bearing with me and reading some of this and or checking out my work. Unless you just came in saw the wall of text and just pressed back- in which case you're nothing but a rakshi *beep*ing *boop* makuta faced *beeep*.

:P

~M

Also (why wont it end...) :

I have other even older and rudimentar-ier stuff which I am more than glad to show you guys if there's interest...

Edited by Mehul
Inappropriate language edited out in lieu of an edit. -bones
  • Upvote 2

Link to my comic :D

To anyone contacting me, I'm of to Uni soon so I might take time to respond.

Wow. That is some great art. I mean truly great. I am always envious when i see people who are able to draw like you. And if you say it looks better in person well i am quite curious for it looks great already.

I love the interpretation of the kanohi dragon. i mean the size and the way you have it peeking out that hole is awesome.

And i think we can all understand how stuff comes up and we don't have time to post and stuff. I think it is all good.

I mean i'm just glad staff don't evict people who don't post and stuff for awhile there i was barely posting now in the last 2 years i have gotten to where i was at.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Looks awesome. Very nice interpretations of Nidhiki and Tuyet. Headcanoning those Kanohi designs for lack of anything better. XD

If I'm reading the eighth page correctly, you might want to censor what Nidhiki thinks to himself, since there are some frustratingly serious rules about swearing and stuff here. Sorry. :/

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I'm glad you guys like it!

The kanohi dragon was a blast to draw, and I think the fact that there was only one reference photo helped since it offered me a chance to create something without any restrictions. Nidhiki was the toa on which I spent the most time thinking up since we knew he had the Voltak, but I figured Nuparu's mask was modified for underwater breathing, hence the changes. Plus visors are cool. As for Tuyet I tried my best to convey a feminine looking mask without making it overtly so i.e. a male toa could wear it and not look strange.

So yeah, thank you for the compliments, much appreciated.

And if you say it looks better in person well i am quite curious for it looks great already.

What I mean by them looking better in person is there are no random dark patches, the drawings themselves look the same- albeit a little darker

If I'm reading the eighth page correctly, you might want to censor what Nidhiki thinks to himself, since there are some frustratingly serious rules about swearing and stuff here. Sorry. :/

Oops! I was sure I had replaced all the swears with appropriate bionicle equivalent but seeing as that page is just rough one a word slipped...

Are they really that strict anymore? If more people are offended I'll change it but I'm a bit lazy. ;)

~M

Edited by Mehul

Oops! I was sure I had replaced all the swears with appropriate bionicle equivalent but seeing as that page is just rough one a word slipped...

Are they really that strict anymore? If more people are offended I'll change it but I'm a bit lazy. ;)

If it's bleeped on standard family television, that's generally your best guide. That one counts. I've edited it out until you can put up a new version.

My main reason for posting here is:

Since this is a comic, moving to the Comics forum. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I've censored the word bonesiii, hope there isn't anything else I missed.

Might I shamelessly ask that since you've gone through the trouble of reading at least one of the pages for any comments from the master of coolified masks ? :P

My main reason for posting here is:

Since this is a comic, moving to the Comics forum. :)

I knew I should have gone with my gut but for some reason I thought small projects like this that will not be expanded upon weren't supposed to be in comics forums. Well live and learn I guess

Edited by Mehul

• 2 weeks later...

Tiny error: The Dark Hunter fortress is on Odina, not Destral. There are a few minor spelling errors on some pages too, but this is after all "just" a sketch version and any errors could be easily corrected in the transition from lines to ink and color.Power-related error: The Mask of Stealth does actually make the user inaudible, with the trade-off that you are not fully invisible like the Huna allows you to be.But disregard that, I had to get the minor negative points of the way before I say I really like this. The art is splendid; you have a nice way of making the characters pretty set-accurate while still properly fleshed out as bio-mechs. You also have a nice range of angles and poses in your drawings, compared to a lot of "heads talking" and "I only got three poses" comics I've seen before. There is enough text to portray the story while not so much that it covers the art - which should absolutely be in focus. Nice balance.The colored version is very nice too, nice work by BioCry there.I'd really like to see more like this. Thumbs up for the effort! :)

this is great. just absolutely great.

we haven't seen very many hand-drawn comic series here on BZPower in quite some time, and this comic series' style, especially in art is a welcome change.there's not much i can say about the story so far, but i like it very much so far. and besides a few grammatical errors, it's very easy to follow, which is nice.

besides that there aren't many errors, besides the few that Katuko mentioned before me. and the errors certainly aren't drastic enough to ruin the comics in any way.

excellent work!

naw man

Oh I'm sure I've made tons of errors, I never proof read any of the text since in my mind it was just there so that I knew how much space it would take and once inking was done I would replace it with the final stuff. :P

As for the mask power... D'oh. I knew that and yet somehow it never came across in my mind until now.

Anyway I digress, first off thank you all for the compliments their making my ego grow to new heights :D. That is since there is interest in the comics I'll keep to my word and post some older stuff. I feel guilty but this one is even more incomplete than the previous. In a sense it is actually the sequel to the "kanohi dragon" as it revolves directly around the nui stone. It was made in 2008 for, if you can believe it, a school project.

The artwork :

WARNING!

THE FIRST PAGE DEPICTS A DECAPITATED MATORAN, VIEWER DESCRETION IS ADVISED.

ALSO THE PAGE HAS THE WORLD'S MOST HAMMY DIALOGUE.

Page 01

Page 02

Page 03

As you can see I had both Nidhiki and Lihkhan's design down for the most part but tuyet is... not great. And don't even get me started on the nui stone, geez what was I thinking? And I am well aware there are many many factual errors in this one.

Gosh, I love the art style, and your layouting, it looks so professional, and fluid - especially on the first few pages of Kanohi Dragon. It's truly admireable.

Just a pity you never got to finish it, but yeah, school can get in the way with a lot of things...

So. Awesome work. =D

Yeah, a small thing, the arrows connecting some of the panels wouldn't have been necessary IMO, because the layout works the way it is, too. ^^

• Upvote 1

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Agreed with Flex Fiction on the orginal comic. BioCry's colored version struck me as a bit dark- too much purple on black on brown. I like how you inked the text, though. Anyway, I like how you tried to follow the orginal canon story while bringing some excellent artwork and visauls to an unseen potion of Bionicle history. For some reason your protrayal of Nidhiki's weapon looked particularly well done, if a bit grim-reaperesque. :shrugs:

• 1 year later...

Wow, this is really neat!

You do an excellent job with character design, enough to avoid the things like the humanlike proportions and hands.

It's heartening to see that good oldfashioned pen, ink, and paper still can do great stuff...especially seeing as I have like no experience with computer art (yet).

Do NOT bypass the filter. -B6

These are some really good drawings. Though the colored stuff seems a little bit sloppy in the actual drawing. The coloring itself is great. Not sure why there had to be a warning though, since the way the decapitated Matoran was drawn looked really cartoony.

I vastly prefer the drawings in the first post.

Also, you made a ham and cheese sandwich with Tuyet's line in the last panel. :P

Overall it's great stuff, very clean looking. For some reason when I scan things they look all grainy.

Pk57sNJ.jpg