Chat With Greg Farshtey

and Dark Mirror Universe for Hero Factory.

wait a second, I thought Dark Mirror was a Bionicle alternate Universe?

Presumably referring to the most recent HF book, Mirror World, which featured an alternate universe (which was also mentioned in a nifty Inside Scoop on the LEGO club magazine, along with other alternate universes) here.

No need for me to ask him on THOSE message boards I've asked him via phone before

Wait, what!?!? You have his phone number?!?!?!

No I was a member of the bionicle club and was able to ask him one Q

Fan groups have communicated with Greg via podcast or other methods (post-cancellation) from time to time. BS01 has had a few chats with him recently, and there are tentative plans for a new one sometime soon. Visit here for more information on that. Edited by Dorek

Ugh... The Lego message boards? "IS BIONICLE IN THE SAME UNIVERSE AS HERO FACTORY", "WHO IS GREG FARSHETY" and "DO YOU LIKE PIZZA" are just a few of the questions I saw on there. It's something, though, but I don't think he's answered the pizza one yet.

The LEGO message boards aren't fancy, but it's good to remember that they are a much more authentic portrait of the core LEGO audience than sites like BZPower are. It's not all bright, dedicated people who follow and remember every story detail. Many of these people are just kids. And even the LEGO Message Boards attract a somewhat dedicated segment of that audience compared to the audience as a whole.It's good that Greg Farshtey is opening himself up to such a wide audience, I think. Almost all of the stuff he's done for LEGO has been aimed at kids, so it's good for him to hear from younger readers rather than just from TFOLs, AFOLs, and a particularly web-savvy segment of the KFOL crowd. Let's face it, I can tell him all I want about how I love some of the Ninjago books and it might not mean as much as hearing it from the kids he's writing those books for.

I wouldn't consider this reliable story information. :wince:

Why not exactly? Just because the questions aren't all very intelligent doesn't mean the answers to those questions won't be accurate.

Why not exactly? Just because the questions aren't all very intelligent doesn't mean the answers to those questions won't be accurate.
Someone mentioned that many of the questions asked weren't about new story stuff - they were about stuff we already know about. Also, if Greg's being snappy...see, I think he forgot much of the Bionicle stuff, and all the fan demands for it are not exactly putting him in a good mood. So I don't expect any great revelations. :(

Someone mentioned that many of the questions asked weren't about new story stuff - they were about stuff we already know about. Also, if Greg's being snappy...see, I think he forgot much of the Bionicle stuff, and all the fan demands for it are not exactly putting him in a good mood. So I don't expect any great revelations. :(
OK. Those things are more or less true. I thought you were trying to say that for some reason any new story tidbits that emerge wouldn't be trustworthy.

Over-enthusiastic fans asking stupid, pointless questions and being given curt, rude, and unsatisfying answers from Greg, who throughout will demonstrate his lack of gratitude to the support he's received from the fan community.

support?

do you mean "endless whining about how he's not giving us what we deserve"?

because that's really all i'm seeing.

Really? All I see is people saying "Greg you're the best writer ever" and "Greg you're such a boss" and "Greg where does your epicness end?" and Greg giving a snappy answer to their questions without a thank-you or anything.

anywhere else but the Lego Message Boards, there's still endless complaining about the end of the story. i won't name any websites in particular, but...

1. Stop hating on the Lego Message Boards. It's unstructured and full of a bunch of annoying kids who don't really know what they're talking about, and the commenting system is a huge pain, but it's lot more fun and open than here. On those boards they're all "have fun," whereas here more often than not the primary focus of anything appears to be the deity-like staff punishing members for often ridiculous trasgressions. Nobody says it's dumb to want Bionicle to come back; everybody is a Bionicle fan there. I personally haven't gone in forever just because of the lack of interesting discussion, but in many ways it's much better than BZPower.

2. Greg Farshtey deliberately quit writing the story serials and communicating with fans on here in any way, even though he was given ample time and opportunity (don't deny it, freakin' Hillary Clinton could have finished a new chapter in this time) to do so, because he didn't want to anymore. Despite the fan's devotion and oftentimes bordering worship of him, he quit because he didn't feel like talking to you and writing stories anymore. I mean, if he wants to retire, what can you do? (although a better writer would have finished his material first). However, if he was to retire he should have made some kind of formal announcement instead of just leaving us hanging. This can possibly be attributed to Greg's arrogant presumption that he is a great writer (he is not) and, at least in the eyes of his fans, he can do no wrong. This is demonstrated in his reaction to the whole Toa of Psionics gender mix-up, where instead of just admitting that he screwed up his own material and fixing it, he had to come up with some terrible and unintentionally offensive explanation. The point is, Greg doesn't care about us fans enough to continue his work to its conclusion, so stop drooling all over him.

3. As there's been no indication that Greg will continue the story serials, I have no idea why he's resuming communication with fans. This is also why I have little interest in this news. It'll probably all go something like this:

HEY GREGGGGGG!!!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST WRITER EVERRRRR!!!!!! GREG FOREVS!!!!!!!!!!! ILY LOL HOW MANY GLATORIAN ARE THERE?!?!?!?!!????

Don't care.

Over-enthusiastic fans asking stupid, pointless questions and being given curt, rude, and unsatisfying answers from Greg, who throughout will demonstrate his lack of gratitude to the support he's received from the fan community.

You talk about how it's wrong to worship him; which is true, but aren't you in the same boat if you despise him as much as other people worship him? It's OK to respect or admire him not worship and it's OK to disagree or dislike him not despise or hate him. Some treat him like a god, others such as you; like dirt. Treating any human being as being a god or dirt is irrational and illogical. I respect him as well-mannered human being (or at least; I think so. Of course, again, it's OK to dislike him.) not god.

Now, about him being snappy (or at least, in your opinion) every human being has their limits in tolerance (and I personally believe he has A LOT of tolerance) and to make sure you completely comprehend what I'm saying; I'll even politely use you as an example.

You dislike and can not tolerate the way the staff run things around here (which again, I disagree with this, but I respect your opinions and ideas).

Now, getting to the point (which I've repetitively stated, but it may have been vague so I'll state it again) he's human. So, again, I respect your opinion, but when you cross the line between respect and disliking to worship and despising that's when I feel I should speak up and say something. Also, don't feel that I'm directing this block of text towards just you, but anyone in general.

I hope that none of this was harsh and if so then you have my most sincerest of apologies.

Edited by Damaracx 8.0

I asked a few questions myself. Here they are:

As a representative from BZPower, one of the worlds largest BIONICLE fan communities, it would be an honor for you to answer these questions:

1. Will you be continuing the serials?
  2. If you are, where would you post them? BZPower? BioSector01?
  3. Do you like MOCing?
  4. Is there any chance of BIONICLE possibly having a reboot? It would be awesome if generations far beyond ours could have a chance to build with BIONICLE.
  5. If it can have a reboot, would it be done with the new balljoint/cup system? This system works really well, and if a BIONICLE reboot used them, a lot of problems would be solved.

Thank you for taking the time to read these questions and answer them. It means a lot to the fan community.

-Phantom Terror (BZPower name: Wasp)

Q1 was made by me too. Sadly I did not say who I was in BZPower. TLH only got 1 like. I got 2, and you 4.

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

Well, I can understand why he answers questions "snappily". If 50 people asked me the same question about a world I've created (yes, I know he didn't exactly create it, but close enough) I would get rather tired of it.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

support?

Really? All I see is people saying "Greg you're the best writer ever" and "Greg you're such a boss" and "Greg where does your epicness end?" and Greg giving a snappy answer to their questions without a thank-you or anything.

anywhere else but the Lego Message Boards, there's still endless complaining about the end of the story. i won't name any websites in particular, but...

Which, seeing as he left us hanging with no resolution, is justified.

1. Stop hating on the Lego Message Boards. It's unstructured and full of a bunch of annoying kids who don't really know what they're talking about, and the commenting system is a huge pain, but it's lot more fun and open than here. On those boards they're all "have fun," whereas here more often than not the primary focus of anything appears to be the deity-like staff punishing members for often ridiculous trasgressions. Nobody says it's dumb to want Bionicle to come back; everybody is a Bionicle fan there. I personally haven't gone in forever just because of the lack of interesting discussion, but in many ways it's much better than BZPower.

2. Greg Farshtey deliberately quit writing the story serials and communicating with fans on here in any way, even though he was given ample time and opportunity (don't deny it, freakin' Hillary Clinton could have finished a new chapter in this time) to do so, because he didn't want to anymore. Despite the fan's devotion and oftentimes bordering worship of him, he quit because he didn't feel like talking to you and writing stories anymore. I mean, if he wants to retire, what can you do? (although a better writer would have finished his material first). However, if he was to retire he should have made some kind of formal announcement instead of just leaving us hanging. This can possibly be attributed to Greg's arrogant presumption that he is a great writer (he is not) and, at least in the eyes of his fans, he can do no wrong. This is demonstrated in his reaction to the whole Toa of Psionics gender mix-up, where instead of just admitting that he screwed up his own material and fixing it, he had to come up with some terrible and unintentionally offensive explanation. The point is, Greg doesn't care about us fans enough to continue his work to its conclusion, so stop drooling all over him.

3. As there's been no indication that Greg will continue the story serials, I have no idea why he's resuming communication with fans. This is also why I have little interest in this news. It'll probably all go something like this:

HEY GREGGGGGG!!!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST WRITER EVERRRRR!!!!!! GREG FOREVS!!!!!!!!!!! ILY LOL HOW MANY GLATORIAN ARE THERE?!?!?!?!!????

Don't care.

You talk about how it's wrong to worship him; which is true, but aren't you in the same boat if you despise him as much as other people worship him? It's OK to respect or admire him not worship and it's OK to disagree or dislike him not despise or hate him. Some treat him like a god, others such as you; like dirt. Treating any human being as being a god or dirt is irrational and illogical. I respect him as well-mannered human being (or at least; I think so. Of course, again, it's OK to dislike him.) not god.

Now, about him being snappy (or at least, in your opinion) every human being has their limits in tolerance (and I personally believe he has A LOT of tolerance) and to make sure you completely comprehend what I'm saying; I'll even politely use you as an example.

You dislike and can not tolerate the way the staff run things around here (which again, I disagree with this, but I respect your opinions and ideas).

Now, getting to the point (which I've repetitively stated, but it may have been vague so I'll state it again) he's human. So, again, I respect your opinion, but when you cross the line between respect and disliking to worship and despising that's when I feel I should speak up and say something. Also, don't feel that I'm directing this block of text towards just you, but anyone in general.

I hope that none of this was harsh and if so then you have my most sincerest of apologies.

Thanks for trying to be polite. Well, the difference is I think my treatment of Greg is well-deserved. Obviously people who are devoted to him disagree, so that's their opinion, I suppose.

The difference with the whole "tolerance" thing or however you put it is, I'm showing a negative attitude towards a position of authority that I personally feel is affecting myself and the community in a negative way. Greg is a relative position of authority showing a negative attitude to a bunch of kids who adore him. There's a total difference.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Regarding Greg's attitude on this:

A word of advice: You seem a bit rough on the edges. Use emotes to tell us you're glad that you have fans instead of making it look like you just do this because you HAVE to.

Those folks who remember me from BZP know that my answers tend to be straight and to the point, because i am trying to get through as many questions as I can in a sitting so people don't have to wait forever for answers. If I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't have agreed to be or be spending my weekend time doing this. The fact that I did and I am I think says more than a smiley face would.

(Taken from page 45).

Q2TtLEz.png

support?

two years down the line, though? i don't think so.

Someone needs to gather up all his answers and post them somewhere.

Eh, that's pretty much bound to happen within the week. :lol:

(Hopefully we get some meaningful answers, too, instead of just "no, I will not write more serials right now," "Kopaka is my favorite Toa," "I can't answer that," and "muffin button.")

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Eh, that's pretty much bound to happen within the week. :lol:

(Hopefully we get some meaningful answers, too, instead of just "no, I will not write more serials right now," "Kopaka is my favorite Toa," "I can't answer that," and "muffin button.")

it's a shame that most of the questions related to BIONICLE are limited to "I have not written in a while, so I do not remember"

didact.jpg

Eh, that's pretty much bound to happen within the week. :lol:(Hopefully we get some meaningful answers, too, instead of just "no, I will not write more serials right now," "Kopaka is my favorite Toa," "I can't answer that," and "muffin button.")

I got some interesting answers to my questions, even if many of them weren't the ones I was hoping for, starting here. One issue with a lot of questions is that a lot of people seem to overestimate his involvement in the Ninjago story, asking him questions about the TV show that he isn't able to answer.If you don't think people are asking questions that will get them meaningful answers, you're welcome to ask Greg a few questions of your own! He seems to be answering as many as he can!

2. Greg Farshtey deliberately quit writing the story serials and communicating with fans on here in any way, even though he was given ample time and opportunity (don't deny it, freakin' Hillary Clinton could have finished a new chapter in this time) to do so, because he didn't want to anymore. Despite the fan's devotion and oftentimes bordering worship of him, he quit because he didn't feel like talking to you and writing stories anymore.

Actually, a much more likely reason Greg stopped writing them is because has absolutely no freaking time to. At this point, he is pretty much the only person employed at TLG who knows how to write a decent tie-in for one of LEGO's story-driven lines, which is why they have him writing books and comics for no less than THREE themes (Ninjago, Chima, and Hero Factory). It's either that or give some of the projects to whoever is in charge of the Lego Magazine these days, which at this point might as well be written and edited by its target audience. When you factor in his recent divorce alongside such a large and likely stressful workload, its no wonder he wasn't able to find the time and motivation to continue what amounts to officially-sanctioned fan-fiction, especially since he wasn't being paid a dime.

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

2. Greg Farshtey deliberately quit writing the story serials and communicating with fans on here in any way, even though he was given ample time and opportunity (don't deny it, freakin' Hillary Clinton could have finished a new chapter in this time) to do so, because he didn't want to anymore. Despite the fan's devotion and oftentimes bordering worship of him, he quit because he didn't feel like talking to you and writing stories anymore.

Actually, a much more likely reason Greg stopped writing them is because has absolutely no freaking time to. At this point, he is pretty much the only person employed at TLG who knows how to write a decent tie-in for one of LEGO's story-driven lines, which is why they have him writing books and comics for no less than THREE themes (Ninjago, Chima, and Hero Factory). It's either that or give some of the projects to whoever is in charge of the Lego Magazine these days, which at this point might as well be written and edited by its target audience. When you factor in his recent divorce alongside such a large and likely stressful workload, its no wonder he wasn't able to find the time and motivation to continue what amounts to officially-sanctioned fan-fiction, especially since he wasn't being paid a dime.
One correction: I think Greg IS the guy in charge of the LEGO Club Magazine, unless that's changed in the past couple years. Though the drop in quality for that could be a result of multiple factors: first, Greg's busy schedule; second, the end of the LEGO Brickmaster program means that the magazine no longer has any means of bringing in its own revenue, and thus may have a tighter budget for content generation; third, not counting international editions, there are currently THREE LEGO Club Magazines (the one for girls, the regular magazine, and LEGO Club Jr).

One correction: I think Greg IS the guy in charge of the LEGO Club Magazine, unless that's changed in the past couple years. Though the drop in quality for that could be a result of multiple factors: first, Greg's busy schedule; second, the end of the LEGO Brickmaster program means that the magazine no longer has any means of bringing in its own revenue, and thus may have a tighter budget for content generation; third, not counting international editions, there are currently THREE LEGO Club Magazines (the one for girls, the regular magazine, and LEGO Club Jr).

I believe that is exactly what is happened. At the very least, I am certain that he is no longer writing the comics, as his name stopped appearing on them beginning with the second Savage Planet issue. That that, incidentally, was exactly the point at which they went way downhill in script quality. Whoever is doing them now is so abysmally bad that the current material makes even the 2006 Bionicle comics (which I rather disliked and thought were the weakest of any year) look genius by comparison.

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

He answered my question, yeah. And as far as I've seen, he's doing his best to answer every question he's asked, even the "AHHHH ITS GREG HEY GREG IS BIONICLE COMING BACK ALSO WHEN ARE YOU FINISHING THE SERIALS" ones.

It's a bit disappointing that pretty much every time someone asks an interesting question about the story that we didn't know the answer his response is "don't know," "haven't thought about it," or "can't remember." But I guess that's to be expected.

Q2TtLEz.png

Greg always seemed a little blunt answering questions to me, but I understood he cared about the fans because he was responding to us at all. It's not like they made him back when we could PM him.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Has anyone gotten a response from GregF? I haven't, I don't understand quite well how that system works it's not like here were we used to send him PM's. Can someone explain it to me?

Yes, several people have gotten responses from him. He's responded to me all three times I've asked him questions. You just have to read all his posts in the topic. His posts quote people's questions and include a response. It helps to remember how many pages of the topic you've read. He seems to answer several people's questions on a daily basis, so his responses should not be too many pages after the question he's responding to.

Greg always seemed a little blunt answering questions to me, but I understood he cared about the fans because he was responding to us at all. It's not like they made him back when we could PM him.

Yes, indeed. He was understandably blunt, at least as far as I view it. As long as he was available here, every day he'd wake up to a new full inbox of questions, which he'd want to answer (as he's said, he could just have stepped away at any time if he felt like it) but not find all that much time for. Up until recently, I had plenty of free time. This month, I have work almost every day. In the suddenly much more lacking spare time, I have to answer my e-mails, chat with friends, program my game, and so on. Now, if I got a few hundred questions to answer each day, they'd pile up real quick. And if half of them were just rehashed versions of questions I had answered before, or questions I could not answer because they would be spoilers, then I'd start being quite short too.The serials have not concluded due to perfectly understandable reasons too: The BIONICLE line has been canceled, and Greg no longer gets paid for working on it. He's got other work to do, and a private life too. He may not be a god of writing or anything like some younger members make him out to be, but I see no reason to despise him for anything at all.

Hum, well, twice I asked my questions (and once I tried to remind him). He responded to the reminder, but neither of the questions (either time).

One was about what Kopaka saw in the Red Star.

Conclusion?

He might be (but probably isn't) hiding something... :P

Just reading the posts on the LMB makes me think it is more possible that LEGO will bring Bionicle back though. He had already come up with some more stories, movies, etc, before they shut it down. So it wasn't really the end of Bionicle that ended Bionicle - it was some other reason.

So it wasn't really the end of Bionicle that ended Bionicle - it was some other reason.

Um, Bionicle ended at it's end...right? I'm confused.

Not according to Greg. He said he had done some work for further stories.

Just reading the posts on the LMB makes me think it is more possible that LEGO will bring Bionicle back though. He had already come up with some more stories, movies, etc, before they shut it down. So it wasn't really the end of Bionicle that ended Bionicle - it was some other reason.

End of the toy line is basically end of the story as well. He had plenty of material left to write about, but when he's no longer getting money from it and he has too much else to do at work, it's still the end of the BIONICLE sets that is the reason why BIONICLE ended.

Correct. But what I meant was that (if LEGO had wished it to be so) the story would have continued.

And continue it, he did. (MoL reference for the win :P)

From GregF's blog itself:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=26&showentry=76198

support?

Don't care.

Thanks for trying to be polite. Well, the difference is I think my treatment of Greg is well-deserved. Obviously people who are devoted to him disagree, so that's their opinion, I suppose.

The difference with the whole "tolerance" thing or however you put it is, I'm showing a negative attitude towards a position of authority that I personally feel is affecting myself and the community in a negative way. Greg is a relative position of authority showing a negative attitude to a bunch of kids who adore him. There's a total difference.

Ah, but you still can't despise a human being. I mean seriously....

Edited by Damaracx 8.0