Mata Nui Prototype?

So I was paging through an old magazine the other day and THIS PAGE stood out a lot. Specifically the object on the top right. It is clear that the figure is wearing a Mask of Life and possesses a body build similar to Mata Nui in his Glat form. However, the sword/spear is different, and the arms look somewhat smaller than the final set.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Wasp: You seem to have accidently double posted this topic. You should talk to a staff and see if you can get one deleted. [edit: nevermind, it must have just been deleted by an admin or something]

What magazine was it? Was it a lego magazine? I don't seem to remember seeing that page.

Edited by Mairanui

2xu8Ptu.png

I've seen this picture before. It is most likely one of the Mata Nui prototypes. I've noticed Lego has a habit of making promotional art with prototype sets rather than the final version. For example, all the Piraka on the cover of Dark Destiny were prototypes.

and the arms look somewhat smaller than the final set.

Its a shame that trait didn't carry over in to the final set. I always thought his arms were way too long in relation to the rest of his body.
Edited by Trydeltix
Bliss.png

The arms seem to use the Toa Metru upper limb parts. I can also see he uses a different weapon, but the most interesting of all... the big 2008 Ignika... :OMG:

WHY LEGO, WHY DIDN'T YOU USE IT IN THE FINAL SET.

It would've been way cooler. It also would've been way cooler if they had used gold instead of yellow. Yellow. Guhhh.

-G u u R a h K

It would've been way cooler. It also would've been way cooler if they had used gold instead of yellow. Yellow. Guhhh.

it isn't yellow. It's Keetorange.

I love how Keetorange is considered a color now.

I remember even earlier images (such as the last comic from 2008) had what looked like a cross between Mata Nui and Matoro as an even earlier prototype.

I love how Keetorange is considered a color now. I remember even earlier images (such as the last comic from 2008) had what looked like a cross between Mata Nui and Matoro as an even earlier prototype.

I'm pretty sure that was fake.EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking of a presumed Toa Ignika prototype. What you mean was just concept art, though. There was also this image.-Gata signoff.png Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

i always figured it was certuaves.

Certavus? Why?

Because at the time i saw this Certavus was a strange charachter who lived away from everyone else.

one day this will contain greatness only the best. But take this with the ocean of salt then you will know what to expect from this

I love how Keetorange is considered a color now. I remember even earlier images (such as the last comic from 2008) had what looked like a cross between Mata Nui and Matoro as an even earlier prototype.

I'm pretty sure that was fake.EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking of a presumed Toa Ignika prototype. What you mean was just concept art, though. There was also this image.-Gata signoff.png

The image I'm thinking of was of a Matoro-like character walking through a desert, looking at a giant robot limb sticking out of the ground.

I'm pretty sure that was fake.EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking of a presumed Toa Ignika prototype. What you mean was just concept art, though. There was also this image.-Gata signoff.png

The image I'm thinking of was of a Matoro-like character walking through a desert, looking at a giant robot limb sticking out of the ground.

Yeah, I know. I think Greg confirmed it as concept art.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I wonder if there was any further explanation behind it though. (i.e Matoro being transported to Bara Magna after his death...) Perhaps they were thinking of doing that early in the storyline brainstorming, and that's where that image came from.

Probably not though. Matoro was most likely used as a placeholder in that image.

Bliss.png

I wonder if there was any further explanation behind it though. (i.e Matoro being transported to Bara Magna after his death...) Perhaps they were thinking of doing that early in the storyline brainstorming, and that's where that image came from. Probably not though. Matoro was most likely used as a placeholder in that image.

There were many theories about that back in the day, but Greg confirmed Matoro was used as a placeholder, I think.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png