Magical Girls/Mahou Shoujo thread

Now who doesn't like Magical Girls? Nobody, that's who.

Your friends? One of them owns a Sailor Mercury doll.

You see that guy across the street? Knows all of the Pretty Cure's speech by heart.

Your gym teacher? Cried during the ending of Madoka Magica.

That racist neighbour who never shuts up about guns? ... Okay let's ignore him.

Who doesn't love supergirls in frilly dresses bringing own pain on injustice while looking marvelous doing it?

But basically, Mahou Shoujo. This thread is about them. Your Sailor Moons, your Pretty Cures, your Madoka Magicas, Cardcaptor Sakura, Tokyo Mew Mew, all that good stuff.

Some of may may even really like Cutie Honey and Flower Child Lunlun.

But enough from me now. So who's looking forward to that Sailor Moon reboot and musical? And wasn't that new episode of Doki Doki PreCure just hilarious?

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Sailor Moon reboot, as the original Sailor Moon anime (the English dub of it, at least) was what drove me away from anything related to Magical Girls until Madoka (which is my favorite), and I’d like to see a good adaptation of it. I have all of Kodansha’s Sailor Moon rereleases, and it is one of the best manga series I’ve read.I also have the Madoka Magica movies preordered, very excited to see those. Didn’t get a chance to see them in theaters, but hopefully I’ll get to see Rebellion.

The only mahou shoujo I've seen recently enough for it to be even remotely relevant (I watched one called Corrector Yui like nine years ago, and I loooooved Cardcaptor Sakura ten years ago) is Madoka Magica. It was pretty great, as a magical girl series in itself. Its horror/deconstructive qualities appear to be overblown by the fanbase. I liked the music particularly. I've never really seen the Sailor Moons or anything like that. Maybe I should.

AXKP5KC.png

The only mahou shoujo I've seen recently enough for it to be even remotely relevant (I watched one called Corrector Yui like nine years ago, and I loooooved Cardcaptor Sakura ten years ago) is Madoka Magica. It was pretty great, as a magical girl series in itself. Its horror/deconstructive qualities appear to be overblown by the fanbase. I liked the music particularly. I've never really seen the Sailor Moons or anything like that. Maybe I should.

Oh you totally should, although do expect a slightly slower start though. After all, it is a long-runner show.

But if that's not your cup of tea, I heard many good things about Princess Tutu and Utena (Don't know exactly if Utena counts, but whatever). Pretty Cure is also good, with the extra of having a lot physical fighting. Seriously, that's it's franchise staple.

Edited by SarracenianKaijin

hereheis.gif

--------------

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems like the new Sailor Moon anime is confirmed for a winter release. Kinda hoping that there's more steaming than just NicoNico Douga, maybe Crunchyroll, Daisuki, or maybe even Funimation if they happen to license it:

During the highly anticipated "Sailor Moon 20th Anniversary Event #2" held on Sunday evening in Japan, more information was confirmed regarding the status of the highly anticipated Sailor Moon anime that was delayed from its original Summer 2013 broadcast window to the forthcoming Winter season.

First, it was confirmed that Momoiro Clover Z would sing both the opening and ending, with the confirmation that the group will reprise the original "Moonlight Densetsu" theme from the first series while also handling the ending theme, the title of which has yet to be confirmed.

Next, it was also confirmed that the new series will be streamed worldwide via NicoNico Douga, though editor Fumio Osano also confirmed that no decisions have been taken regarding subtitles, although they will be keeping international fans in mind. Osano also confirmed that no decisions regarding the voice cast were made yet and mentioned during the event that they could not even announce the voice actress for Usagi since no decisions have been made on that front either.

Finally, when commenting on the direction the new anime will take, Osano stated that it will not be a remake of the first series, suggesting that the new series will take a different direction than just adapting the manga in a straightforward manner, as was done with the previous series.

I've watched Princess Tutu. Shonen anime included alongside the shoujo, it's in my top ten in anime. I seriously love that show and everything about it, aside from the very rare overly girly parts.

I'm planning on watching Madoka sometime in the future, and eventually reading Sailor Moon, but other than those and Tutu my magical girl desire is limited. X3

Edited by Toa of Dancing

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my friend hooked on Smile Pretty Cure. She really likes it.

Incidentially, has anyone been watching that new Day Break Illusion? I've only watched the first episode and it seems promising. Is it any good so far is what I ask.

That's all from me today.

Edited by SarracenianKaijin

hereheis.gif

--------------

• 5 months later...