Power Miners

Bambi

Is it still going? I haven't been paying much attention. I got about two sets, then lost interest in it. It had a nice idea, but was just too cartoony. As well as the fact that the Rock Monsters were meant to be the evil monsters spoiling the heroic heroes adventures, when, when it comes down to it, the humans were the ones digging down into the earth to steal a food source from a newly discovered species.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

The humans made these big machines to drill down in order to discover the source of some dangerous earthquakes. It turned out they were being caused by the energy that was produced when the Rock Monsters ate crystals.

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

I really liked this theme. It had well-designed sets, great color scheme, and really funny videos on the website. Yes, the theme ended in 2010.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

It was very fun IMO. It was one of the themes I collected in my first couple semesters at college. I liked the color scheme, all the cool Technic functions, and the cute characters.Even though it ended in 2010, Dr. Brains made a surprise cameo in this year's Drill Submarine from the Atlantis theme.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Rock Raiders is better.

This opinion fails.Power Miners was a great theme!PM 2 anyone?
I wouldn't say it "fails". It's a valid opinion, and is quite respectable. I think Rock Raiders was a great theme, but I also think that Power Miners was also a great theme. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Rock Raiders is better.

I wouldn't say it "fails". It's a valid opinion, and is quite respectable. I think Rock Raiders was a great theme, but I also think that Power Miners was also a great theme. :)
Thank you Meiko.I didn't say anything bad about Power Miners. When did I say I hated it?

Rock Raiders is better.

Thank you Meiko.I didn't say anything bad about Power Miners. When did I say I hated it?
Come on guys, lets not argue here. I'm not taking sides here. Nobody said they hated Power Miners, and nobody rejected anyone's opinions. :) I never saw too many of the 2010 sets, but I liked that they added blue to the color scheme. It made a real nice touch, in my opinion.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I personally preferred the complex technical builds of Power Miners to the simpler builds of Rock Raiders that tended to rely on large specialized parts. I also preferred the Rock Monsters from Power Miners, since they had more detail and were more versatile in terms of parts and connection points.Rock Raiders had a much moodier aesthetic, though, and a really exciting storyline. Power Miners was more lighthearted in both of those respects. Instead of a ragtag crew of space travelers decked out in futuristic mining gear, Power Miners had a wacky bunch of miners who were probably sent because they were the only ones crazy and reckless enough to accept a mission like theirs. I think both had their merits-- I quite liked the expressive faces and colorful vehicles of the Power Miners, even though the steampunk-like color scheme and angular designs of Rock Raiders also had their charm.

Rock Raiders is better.

How was Rock Raiders? I don't recall it being around in 1995.
That's because it was a 1999 theme...If your point is that it, unlike Power Miners, didn't last more than one year, that's mostly valid (there were promotional Rock Raiders sets in Japan the next year as well as "minifigure packs" released through the LEGO website and catalogs), but it has to be considered that the brand strength of LEGO in the late 90s wasn't near as great as it is today. Also, it's not totally fair to compare the success of two themes separated by many years based on duration alone because children are a changing demographic. A theme like LEGO Pirates that was extremely successful in the 80s and 90s isn't necessarily stronger in design than a theme like the revived LEGO Pirates from 2009 just because it lasted longer-- it was designed to appeal to kids from that era, and so wouldn't necessarily hold any appeal for kids over a decade later, whereas the 2009 Pirates theme could possibly have been just as successful if it were released over a decade earlier.

Rock Raiders is better.

That's because it was a 1999 theme... If your point is that it, unlike Power Miners, didn't last more than one year, that's mostly valid (there were promotional Rock Raiders sets in Japan the next year as well as "minifigure packs" released through the LEGO website and catalogs), but it has to be considered that the brand strength of LEGO in the late 90s wasn't near as great as it is today. Also, it's not totally fair to compare the success of two themes separated by many years based on duration alone because children are a changing demographic. A theme like LEGO Pirates that was extremely successful in the 80s and 90s isn't necessarily stronger in design than a theme like the revived LEGO Pirates from 2009 just because it lasted longer-- it was designed to appeal to kids from that era, and so wouldn't necessarily hold any appeal for kids over a decade later, whereas the 2009 Pirates theme could possibly have been just as successful if it were released over a decade earlier.
Don't get into this argument again guys, please. I already tried to sort it out, and the problem is fixed. It's only his opinion, so we should respect that. :) Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Rock Raiders is better.

That's because it was a 1999 theme... If your point is that it, unlike Power Miners, didn't last more than one year, that's mostly valid (there were promotional Rock Raiders sets in Japan the next year as well as "minifigure packs" released through the LEGO website and catalogs), but it has to be considered that the brand strength of LEGO in the late 90s wasn't near as great as it is today. Also, it's not totally fair to compare the success of two themes separated by many years based on duration alone because children are a changing demographic. A theme like LEGO Pirates that was extremely successful in the 80s and 90s isn't necessarily stronger in design than a theme like the revived LEGO Pirates from 2009 just because it lasted longer-- it was designed to appeal to kids from that era, and so wouldn't necessarily hold any appeal for kids over a decade later, whereas the 2009 Pirates theme could possibly have been just as successful if it were released over a decade earlier.
Don't get into this argument again guys, please. I already tried to sort it out, and the problem is fixed. It's only his opinion, so we should respect that. :)
What argument? I was just posting the reasons I think both themes were good. Besides, there's no reason you should have to mediate the discussion. MicroBeta6 did state his opinion, and we should respect it, but respecting someone's opinion is no reason why we can't state our own (whether conflicting or not).

Rock Raiders is better.

Don't get into this argument again guys, please. I already tried to sort it out, and the problem is fixed. It's only his opinion, so we should respect that. :)
What argument? I was just posting the reasons I think both themes were good. Besides, there's no reason you should have to mediate the discussion. MicroBeta6 did state his opinion, and we should respect it, but respecting someone's opinion is no reason why we can't state our own (whether conflicting or not).
I was talking more to Sweetie Belle, not you Aanchir. Sorry if I caused you some confusion. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I loved the Power Miners line, in part because of how much I liked Rock Raiders. The sets were great and I really wish it would have lasted longer. Also, the play function included in 8109 Claw Catcher has got to be one of the best ever included in a Lego set. I've spent countless hours picking up and flinging anything I could find! 10001010 BC 010001010

Were we arguing? I'm sorry.

It was the same type of comment that started the previous argument. You weren't arguing, but it would have most likely gone there. :) Anyways... Some great pieces were introduced in Power Miners, like the drills, wheels, Rock Monsters, etc. They also gave a lot of great pieces to us in new colors, like some BIONICLE tools in orange, and a lot of slopes in lime.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I loved the Power Miners theme. While the color scheme hurt my eyes, the rock monsters of the second wave were awesome. The mini-monsters were okay, albeit a little ridiculous in appearance. It was fun to throw them with the giant rock monsters, though. I also liked the numbering system, and the action features all the vehicles had.

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

Edited by Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

I have a lot of them, but didn't this theme end?

Yes, but so did Alpha Team, LEGO Island, Exo Force, Knights' Kingdom--just because the line was cancelled doesn't mean there's nothing to discuss.

Anyways, I was highly disappointed when the theme was ended without a reason [Except that they collected all the crystals, blah blah blah :P].

Agreed. They could at least have given it some sort of closure; how did the Power Miners prevent the tremors from continuing? I suppose, as LEGO always says, "the rest is up to your imagination." Okay: They found the Portal (which I remember was mysteriously mentioned a few times on the website), lured the Rock Monsters through it with a crystal ("fetch the crystal, rocky!"), and collapsed the cavern in which the Portal rested, destroying it--that, or the cave-in fell through the portal and, through the consequential chain-reaction, the entire Earth was teleported to a galaxy far, far away.

Sincerely,

Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

I have a lot of them, but didn't this theme end?

Yes, but so did Alpha Team, LEGO Island, Exo Force, Knights' Kingdom--just because the line was cancelled doesn't mean there's nothing to discuss.

Anyways, I was highly disappointed when the theme was ended without a reason [Except that they collected all the crystals, blah blah blah :P].

Agreed. They could at least have given it some sort of closure; how did the Power Miners prevent the tremors from continuing? I suppose, as LEGO always says, "the rest is up to your imagination." Okay: They found the Portal (which I remember was mysteriously mentioned a few times on the website), lured the Rock Monsters through it with a crystal ("fetch the crystal, rocky!"), and collapsed the cavern in which the Portal rested, destroying it--that, or the cave-in fell through the portal and, through the consequential chain-reaction, the entire Earth was teleported to a galaxy far, far away.

Sincerely,

Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

Power Miners was never a hugely story-intensive theme. Leaving things open to fans' imagination doesn't strike me as a huge problem, especially as TLG has done it before in more story-intensive themes like Exo-Force.The actual "reason" the theme ended is probably that it stopped being profitable enough to keep continuing when a newer theme would offer a greater profit. BIONICLE is the exception rather than the norm in that it lasted nearly a decade with a continuing story, and was mostly wrapped up in the end. Overall, the typical LEGO theme doesn't last more than two to three years-- exceptions include "evergreen themes" like LEGO City and certain licensed themes like LEGO Star Wars.

I think it was pretty good, I liked Rock Raiders more, but the Power Miners rock monsters were epic. Rock Raiders had a really cool full-sized video game too. Power Miners did have a cool color scheme though.....

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

• 4 weeks later...