Diaries of Destral

Stroxx

So, let's do something out of the box. This is going to be an enterily handdrawn comic, with Makuta (the species) being one of it's main focus! I've been trying to pull together something like this for years, but I only got around doing it only recently. Some of the first pages are going to look a bit wonky, because they have been revised directly from their old work file, but I hope you're going to enjoy the ride nontheless. :D

Diaries of Destral

As the title suggests, and mentioned before, this is going to be a mainly Makuta focus comic. The setting is directly a few days before the ending of the Metru Nui civil war, when our good, venerable Teridax is dispatched to the city island to finally solve a 400 years old problem.

Chapter 01 - Angry Fish:

Makuta Sethuldur, after his apprentice has been abducted by his latest catch, he sets out to save the wayward Toa of Gravity from his rather... erhm.. angry prey.

bio_page021_loressig_by_oyee-d9c1zue.jpg

]Main Cover | Prolouge Cover | Chapter 01 |

Prolouge: Page 01 | Page 02 | Page 03 | Page 04 | Page 05 | Page 06 || Chapter 01  : Page 01 | Page 02 | Page 03 | Page 04 | Page 05 | Page 06 | Page 07 |  Page  08 | Page 09 | Page 10 | Page 11 | Page 12 | Page 13 | Page 14 | Page 15 | Oct.28th! |

2015-10-21 Edit: Next page up! Next week: FINALLY FIGHT! Someone's gonna have a bad time! Can Seth get Traqq out in time?

Characters

With clickable links! YAY!

av_left_by_oyee-d77i0e0.pngcharactersheet02_seth_av_by_oyee-d77i0k2av_right_by_oyee-d77i0e8.png

The Story so far

These icons will be clickable very soon! =)

av_left_by_oyee-d77i0e0.pngbio_cover02_prolouge_av2_by_oyee-d77i0f8bio_cover03_chapter01_av2_by_oyee-d77i0fav_right_by_oyee-d77i0e8.png

Prolouge:

Ironically, our story starts waaaaay down south from the city, at the islandic region of the Twin Gates, where things are dull and peacful usually. Aside from the seasonal super-storms that lay waste to the region every half a year or so. The Matoran population of this forsaken parts of the Domes are strewn across a myriad of tropical islands in villages with only a dwindling number of barely two dozen Toa patrolling on the unpredictable waves and shelves of the ocean on their makeshift boats. Most of these Toa are barely a few seasons old in their office as the frequent storm and other natural elements easily puts a dent on their numbers. Such is like Traqq, the fresh Toa of Gravity, who has joined on a fishing trip with the ever-so adventurous Makuta Sethuldur who often pays a visit to the region, enjoying the hectic nature of the weather and occasionally helping out the ordinary and welcoming people that endure it.

Edited by Stroxx
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 12

bio_sig02_lores_by_oyee-d77i3td.jpg

New pages are up! Click to see latest! \(°u°)/

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

Older pics: Helryx's Fury | Makuta Sethuldur | Order's Call (no necro k? C8)

I cannot sufficiently describe the joy that has consumed by heart. Really looking forward to seeing this here! :D

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

I cannot sufficiently describe the joy that has consumed by heart. Really looking forward to seeing this here! :D

Hey! Good see you around these parts too! Glad you already like it. :D I'll try to be as frequent with updates as much as possible, though pages might arrive here in a bit slower pace. X)

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

Main post had been updated with second page. Or if the reader doesn't feel like scrolling >> Page 02 <<

Wow, this is amazing! It's so good to see a hand-drawn comic, and a quality one too! Drawings and colouring are both awesome, the two suns are a very nice touch.I really like the prologue cover, I'm looking forward the following pages!

I only aim to oblige to that wish. And fortunately, there are a lot of pages already in backup. Nothing to worry about for the time being. ;)

And much thanks for the compliments! :D

Edited by Stroxx

Main page has been updated with new pages! Since I’ll be mainly away from internet in the next two weeks, I’ll likely only have time to surf around a bit and check the forums I frequent. Wich means the rest of the prolouge pages get up here now! >> Page 03 << >> Page 04 << >> Page 05 << >>Page 06 <<

This looks GREAT!

I'll definitely be following this.

The art style reminds me of a mix between the actual Bionicle comics and Marvel AGE's.

Thanks! I really like the old Bionicle comics, you have no idea how happy compliments like this make me. And yes, that kind of ’80-ish, ’90-ish comic vibe. It has some what stuck with me since the old Spidey comics. :D

And I’m really glad to hear that you’ll be a reg here.

Edited by Stroxx

• 4 months later...

2014-01-13 Edit: It's been quite some time ever since the site had a little hiccup back in October and then majhost decided to fall in on itself for quite some time when I kind of gave up on continuing the comic in my first semester. I guess it's about time I bumped up this topic. Majhost still seems to have some problems. Mainly I just planned to post all the finished pages now at once, but they seem to have swithced back to their old processing ways where it takes hours to upload a pic. I don't quite know. I'll just post what I have on my hands right now.

Wich means the last three pages that got gorged by whatever monster has set foor here. :D

Chapter 01

Page 01

Page 02

Page 03

Hmmm

So the green one is either a biologist or a conspiracy theorist :P

And purple is a collector.

Seems pretty good so far, keep it up.

I guess he is a little bit both since he is a Makuta. :D

Edited by Stroxx

Thought I already posted here; guess not.

Very impressed, glad to see a drawn quality Bionicle comic around here.

Happy to see you back at it. I await.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Thought I already posted here; guess not.

Very impressed, glad to see a drawn quality Bionicle comic around here.

Happy to see you back at it. I await.

It's like. all of the topic's posts since september had been nuked when the forums went crashing down back in October. And I'm glad you like the comic so far. I'll try to keep a weekly schedule. Hope you stick around for the ride. :D

Also, two new pages are up! Click the images for bigger the version, or just scroll up! =)

bio_page010_small_by_oyee-d77i0if.jpg bio_page011_small_by_oyee-d77i0i8.jpg

Edited by Stroxx

Without further ado, I'm presenting you with another two pages! With this I've lived up my cache of backup, so now on this topic will be simultaneously updated with other places I gravitate around without any delay (not that I shouldn't have closed the gap earlier, but still :D).

Clicky for bigger res!

bio_page012_small_by_oyee-d77i0i5.jpg bio_page013_small_by_oyee-d77i0i3.jpg

Edited by Stroxx

And so we meet Miss Angry Fish face to face! She seems to be a bit tipsy! Wonder if that will affect her judgement? Will it affect our heroes' course of actions? Why is she on this island? Does she live here? Will our heroes recognise her or is she a stranger to this region? Just a quick recap, our protagonists have already found an 'empty bottle of booze' and a 'relatively nice rag' wich may very well belong to this Toa. =)

Clicky for bigger res!

bio_page014_small_by_oyee-d77i0i2.jpg

Oh well this is just lovely. The artwork is skillful, and I am loving the makuta. A good breeze of diversity from the usual bunch.

Ditto, Onaku -- this is just beautiful, and I'm loving everything you've got so far. I'm heartily looking forward to what's in store.

Thank you! I'm glad you guys enjoy it so far. \(°u°)/ I'm planning to make this comic quite the journey. (Hope my freetime will agree with that)

These comics are amazing I'm frankly shocked lego hasn't found out bout these
Keep it up

-Tahukan

Miracles still can happen. Though I'm not sure how much I'd be their cup tea. I'm quite rebellious in my topics. But thanks anyway. :D

And thanks for all the comments! I really like to read them through! It's super nice to know that you like the comic so far. And as always, CC is welcome. :)

Edited by Stroxx

A new page where I try to make an enviroment with actual foilage and don't fail that much. But the trees are still fugly. And the boys immature. What? We are talking about a Makuta and a juvenile Toa here! Cut them some slack! =D

Clicky for bigger res!

bio_page015_small_rib_by_oyee-d77i0i0.jp

Edited by Stroxx

• 2 weeks later...

2014-02-21 Edit: I'm kind of getting slower with these pages. Either because I have no detailed reference on TQ or because of the start of 2nd semester. Also, the next page might come a bit slower, I had seen a really sweet contest over at DA and I want to get something in there too. But I'll definitely try to get a page up here either by next weekend or somewhere around the middle of the week after it.

As for our heroes! Miss Angry Fish kind of lost her composure. Wonder what kind of beverage she was drinking..

Clicky for bigger res!

bio_page016_small_by_oyee-d77i0hz.jpg

Nice job i can tell it's a Faxon as for the trees they look fine to me!

-Tahukan

If you're talking about Miss Angry Fish, no, it isn't a Faxon, I'm sorry. The guys would be in a lot more trouble then. And Traqq is wearing an Elda.

I love this a lot - loving the art style in use here!

Thank you! :D

Ha, I bet this is going to end in tears. Probably Traqq's tears.

Well, figuratively speaking...

Edited by Stroxx

I'm long overdue in commenting on this! I've been following the comic for a while now and I'm glad to see it's running. I wouldn't worry too much about taking your time between pages - life has a way of pulling us away, and I don't mind waiting a bit to keep up this level of quality.

As always, your art is a treat to look over, with an immediately recognizable style and a well-designed take on Bionicle beings. I'm also a fan of your setting and choice of characters; we rarely got to see most of the Makuta as much more than a league of busybody schemers, so it's quite fun focusing on a more playful one in the time before Makuta were quite so non grata.

If I had one criticism, your script is a little rough - there's some odd grammatical missteps ("do you have any idea how long did it take to build her from scratch?") and occasional bits of awkward phrasing. It might not be a bad idea to show off the lines for a page to a friend before you start inking in dialogue, just to get a second opinion.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh. Tat armorless Toa of water is horrific. Is it a Toa of water? The face looks male. Anyways, that is horrifying.

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

Just finished reading this, and I like it. I like that all of the characters have exposed muscle tissue instead of skin. It helps to demonstrate their biomechanical nature, IMO, to have their armor be their "skin".

Also, I read Seth's profile, and I have to say, he's now my favorite character in all of this.

Ugh. Tat armorless Toa of water is horrific. Is it a Toa of water? The face looks male. Anyways, that is horrifying.

She's blue, and she's female (I assume; Traqq refers to her as female). She is most likely a Toa of Water.

Also, if you're looking for an attractive Toa of Water, look elsewhere. You'll probably find something to your liking somewhere in the depths of the internet. :P

Statements (Mouseover to view): <1> <2> <3> <4> <5> <6> <7><8> <9>

My MOCs:
Characters- Makuta Dys Makuta Kamazotz Lord Vladek The Helmsmith Protector OCs Skull Whaler Skull Warden

Creatures- Verdelisk Lord of Skull Spiders BBC Contest #69: Kahu Oko Taku

It's not that I was expecting it to be attractive, it's just that this is probably the closest anyone has come to Bioincle gore.

Edited by Jovan2

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

• 2 weeks later...

Such violence in this page! :U Also I'm sure that's just how she invites people to afternoon tea. Those guys are so rude!

This is still looking great! :D

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

Aaahhh this is incredible ^^ You've got a real knack for storytelling, it's barely been a dozen pages and I'm already drawn in by these characters and curious as to what's going on and how they'll deal with it. The humor is great, as is their banter in general. But I'm rrreeeaaaally mostly interested with the art.

I love the way you draw these characters; as others have mentioned, you really put the emphasis on bio in biomechanical and it works really really well. They look very much alive and expressive, not only with their body language but their faces. The addition of nose ridges and eyebrows keep them from looking too out of the ordinary as far as facial structure goes, and makes the masks/face more interesting. You can tell that some parts of them are flexible while others are rigid and it's a very interesting effect. I also looove the armor and their bodies in general, it's very obviously Bionicle with a nice bit of flair and complexity added on but it's not at all overwhelming or overdone, and all the forms are very smooth and nicely curved and basically everything is pretty to look at and nothing looks stiff. You've really done a great job of making everyone look like living, breathing organic beings who are at the same time very robot. The designs of their armor are very nice as well, especially, the Toa of Water with the lack of chest armor exposing this cool little metallic structure connecting to the heartlight forming the framework of her torso, and the very cool ribs and the somewhat flabby musculature by her belly.

The sparse distribution of color on the two dudes is a really nice design and the choices of the green and purple look great ^^ I very much like the high contrast shading on everything, it gives it a lot of dimension while at the same time not overpowering the bright, colorful composition with too much a poke at realism or extra hues (the highlights help a lot, too!). Speaking of which, the very bright colors overall and all the warm tones give the comic a very distinctly tropical, comfortable atmosphere, and it reminds me very much of a Mata Nui environment, in that it feels like biomechanical beings do not feel out of place on a beach and it feels very Bionicle in theme. The coloring in general is very nice, everything just looks really really good and nothing is distracting, and the texture in the sand is really really pretty and .

The only two things that irk me about this is the handwritten dialogue and the size of these pages. I much prefer handwritten text (when it's legible, obviously) to computer generated text 'cause it's a lot more interesting to look at and less restricting, and of course it's a lot easier to write stuff out how you picture it than it is to sit there for a half hour adjusting typefaces and figuring out the kerning and fiddling with the font size. However, in some speech bubbles the letters start to get a little squished together and, as I'm about to address, it's a little cumbersome to read due to the size. The pages look fine as they are, but when you get to the text it feels like it would way easier to read if the pages were larger, although writing with a thinner brush would prolly solve that too. The size also bother me 'cause, although I'm assuming you're just uploading them smaller than they really are so that they load faster and fit cleanly on a webpage, I'm afraid that that is the actual size and that you're working in too small a resolution, 'cause it would mean you couldn't upload them larger without losing quality and you definitely wouldn't be able to print them in real size without losing quality, should you ever want to reupload them or print a neat little booklet for whatever reason. That's just a concern that always strikes me as a computer artist, though, and doesn't have any actual impact on the comic itself. I'm just curious to know what the dealio is with that. (Also on second glace, the water at the bottom of Page 10 looks like it has way too dark of a shadow going on there, 'cause light should still be passing through the water with no problem, and also the dark shading interferes a bit with the foreground 'cause it starts to blend in a kills the illusion of distance. But otherwise I don't really notice anything that I need to point out.)

This is a really, really neat comic and I'm looking forward to reading more of it ^^ I'm assuming you're working in Photoshop? Or..? :)

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

• 3 months later...

PAGE 11

And after much waiting I present you the newest page to the comic! I wanted to put up this page as soon as it was finished now that I'm through a rather busy semester and revived an askblog. Now that summer has finally hit in with full force even here too I'll try to churn out as much pages as possible. Especially since a fighting scene is about to come up. I'll just leave this bump here and come back in a few hours to answer all of your wonderful comments! :D

Really, they mean me the world to me and just gave me just enough juice and some more to pull through with my school assignments just in time to show of them to my teachers. You guys are the best! <3

Ah I see the Elda now I was close though

Nice I can see that Traqq is going to be wild..very wild I can't wait for the next page!

And he is the milder part of the duo even with him being a lot younger than Seth. :D

I'm long overdue in commenting on this! I've been following the comic for a while now and I'm glad to see it's running.  I wouldn't worry too much about taking your time between pages - life has a way of pulling us away, and I don't mind waiting a bit to keep up this level of quality.

As always, your art is a treat to look over, with an immediately recognizable style and a well-designed take on Bionicle beings.  I'm also a fan of your setting and choice of characters; we rarely got to see most of the Makuta as much more than a league of busybody schemers, so it's quite fun focusing on a more playful one in the time before Makuta were quite so non grata. 

If I had one criticism, your script is a little rough - there's some odd grammatical missteps ("do you have any idea how long did it take to build her from scratch?") and occasional bits of awkward phrasing.  It might not be a bad idea to show off the lines for a page to a friend before you start inking in dialogue, just to get a second opinion.

Hehe. I’m always super scared about how people will relate to my design choices. It’s always a hard fight between characterisation, common sense and set/lore faithfulness. It’s good to hear that I manage to somehow keep the balance.

And you’re right, it does sound odd. But it kind of felt fluid some two years ago when I wrote that line, but that’s hardly an excuse. And you aren’t the first to warn me about that one. XD

I may have revived this topic to the point where this might close, but I've been watching this comic series for some time. It's really good and I love the story so far. The artwork is amazing, and it's something I can't come near to doing. Hopefully you come back with more comics to entertain us.

Revival is not a problem in the comics forum last time I checked the rules, so no worries. And never say never!

Drunken and grumpy people can be quite scary. Especially if they beat up people for a living. :D And she is supposed to look a bit more tomboyish. But to be fair, her expressions aren't very lady like either.

Just finished reading this, and I like it. I like that all of the characters have exposed muscle tissue instead of skin. It helps to demonstrate their biomechanical nature, IMO, to have their armor be their "skin".

Also, I read Seth's profile, and I have to say, he's now my favorite character in all of this.

Seth loves to have fans! In all seriousness I’m glad you like the story so far. And the possibility of exposed muscle is one of my favourite parts about bionicle creatures. No better way to drive yourself mad, than trying to draw them in their proper place but still show enough mechanical parts.

Aaahhh this is incredible ^^ You've got a real knack for storytelling, it's barely been a dozen pages and I'm already drawn in by these characters and curious as to what's going on and how they'll deal with it. The humor is great, as is their banter in general. But I'm rrreeeaaaally mostly interested with the art.

Starting out on an island as you pointed out, was a conscious choice. The 2000-2002 era is still something I adore with a childish fervor. And I’m planning to put in some healthy amount of forward shadowing.

And thank you! It’s always hard to figure out how to move a mask believably and I die for expressions and movement. No comic worths their salt if they can’t communicate the general story in just pictures. I also always have problem with colouring and atmospheric bgs. It’s something I’m still trying to work on but it looks like I’m onto something then. :D

As of the writing(/or lettering), it should be better on future pages. I do work with PS and I just recently changed to a higher version and the difference is just astonishing. The lines are so much smoother. It’s very likely I’ll go back and adjust the text in previous pages. Though that’ll have to wait for now. X)

Resolution isn’t a problem fortunately. The original file is like five times bigger. The only problem I’d have/usually have with printing are the kind of colours that infernal machine decides to puke on the paper. I only use small resolution because of the 500Kb limit and my paranoia of opportunistic people.

Such violence in this page! :U Also I'm sure that's just how she invites people to afternoon tea. Those guys are so rude!

This is still looking great! :D

You should see how she handles her actual friends! She surely is a rather surly lady! But with such rancourous rascals it’s nothing short of unexpected.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful artwork. It's also amusing. Nice dorky Makuta. Did I mention that the artwork is beautiful?

Dorky Makuta like to look snazzy. It makes them feel better and more selfconfident. Confidence in one's self is a very important thing! /hug

Edited by Stroxx

• 5 weeks later...

Heeeeyyyyy why haven't I seen this??

I think I read the first two pages long ago or something, since they seem really familiar, but beyond that... it was great reading through the pages you have. I love this comic. The organic approach to their faces, how they seem to change and move like human skin and bones rather than a robot's lends itself well to your tightly-reigned plot- a relationship between friends so far. I do really miss the loose and sketchy art that just kind of drops out by page 8 of chapter 1. It gave it a very fluid and natural feel, like the pages were just effortless, and while I do love a produced look, it makes me miss the very early page style. That said, your backgrounds have grown incredible; I love the energy and care of pages 9 and 11.

Your panels are a bit stale, on the unfortunate side: either too clinical and uniform or not controlled enough (some panel shapes and locations have nothing in common with the rest of the flow, mainly size and margin alignment stuff) when they could lend more dynamic movement through the pages. The action in the latest page's panels reflect this but not the actual page setup. If you wanted to go the extra mile to really make the motions explode you could look into a style that can support quiet stable moments and also action beats as well and reads with a logical flow that keeps the viewer moving when and where you want.

And your covers are absolutely great- they have this wonderfully deep inky texture and the font is pretty inspired. Normally that type of font comes across as too kitschy but somehow you just added to the depths of the story and style; it makes me want to see how it fits into the story, wonderful.

Your Toa of water is gross, it's awesome to see an atypical character like that (though the framing of the bottom panel in page 10 raises some questions) and I'm just as excited to see what happens as I was to read the dynamic between Seth and Traqq.

• Upvote 1

Woah, this is beautiful.

I can't lie, I'm not particularly a fan of your rendition of masks on the characters, but I can understand why you would draw them that way. Beyond that, the fact that the masks and everything else in these few pages is so amazingly drawn just sweeps away any complaints I could form, which would be minimal in the first place.

I love the characterization you managed to form in the characters in the few pages of dialogue and action you've made, it's impressive to say the least! And the fact that you can draw something so detailed and artistic to match that writing skill makes these a real gem. Specifically, I have to say my favorite part of this so far is that water effect in the last panel of page 11 for comic 1. It's just so fluid and...well and I don't know how to describe it accept to say that, to me at least, it's fantastic.

I can only hope you'll keep up the work!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Finally decided to click on your banner and check out your comic.

I.

Love.

This.

i always imagined all of the seas of the Matoran Universe to be of the Silver Sea and not restricted to just Metru-Nui, but I don't care because this is beautiful. And funny, very funny. I eagerly can't wait for more and will await patiently (irony at it's best). Hail now, as your topic has a new follower! :D  All hail Makuta Sethuldur (whom is funny as McSchnitt).

I must say, your design for biomechanical MU beings are unique.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

PAGE 12 and PAGE 13

Okay, so it has been a really long time and I PROMISE I'll answer even long over due comments too, but I really wanna post some new pages before that. Graduation year is stepping right on my neck, gotta tend to that too before I start writing. Please enjoy page 12 and 13 for now!

And don't worry, I have a few more additional pages lined up till at least the end of October for a page a week update schedule.

• Upvote 1

Man, these are great! I'm glad you mentioned them to me, it certainly is great seeing more Hand-drawn comics here!

It's a very interesting style, to say the least; certainly unique, I cant say ive seen anyone draw bionicles quite like you do :P I like it! :D

The story is shaping up to be pretty interesting; that water toa does not exactly seem happy at all, I wonder what it was that they took from her?

Cant wait to see more pages! :)

--Akaku: Master of Flight

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Recent Work: Return to Forum (2024)
Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)
Older Work: The Legends of Taladi Nui (2017)

PAGE 14!

Seth is on dry land again! But for how long?  Will he be promted to take another dive? How long can Ms Angry Fish concentrate? Who is she anyway? Any theories on who gets dunked first? Also below answers as promised!

Heeeeyyyyy why haven't I seen this??

I think I read the first two pages long ago or something, since they seem really familiar, but beyond that... it was great reading through the pages you have. I love this comic. The organic approach to their faces, how they seem to change and move like human skin and bones rather than a robot's lends itself well to your tightly-reigned plot- a relationship between friends so far. I do really miss the loose and sketchy art that just kind of drops out by page 8 of chapter 1. It gave it a very fluid and natural feel, like the pages were just effortless, and while I do love a produced look, it makes me miss the very early page style. That said, your backgrounds have grown incredible; I love the energy and care of pages 9 and 11.

Your panels are a bit stale, on the unfortunate side: either too clinical and uniform or not controlled enough (some panel shapes and locations have nothing in common with the rest of the flow, mainly size and margin alignment stuff) when they could lend more dynamic movement through the pages. The action in the latest page's panels reflect this but not the actual page setup. If you wanted to go the extra mile to really make the motions explode you could look into a style that can support quiet stable moments and also action beats as well and reads with a logical flow that keeps the viewer moving when and where you want.

And your covers are absolutely great- they have this wonderfully deep inky texture and the font is pretty inspired. Normally that type of font comes across as too kitschy but somehow you just added to the depths of the story and style; it makes me want to see how it fits into the story, wonderful.

Your Toa of water is gross, it's awesome to see an atypical character like that (though the framing of the bottom panel in page 10 raises some questions) and I'm just as excited to see what happens as I was to read the dynamic between Seth and Traqq.

First, it may be a really long overdue reply, but I was really suprised when you commented. You are one of my old time favourites back from the old forums, and I'm really happy you like my comic! It means a lot to me. :D

The sketchynes unfortunately dropped out because of the extensive undersketching that I started to use to keep things character correct. The comic itself is a shameless opportunity for me to excercise anatomy, backgrounds, scene composing and lately text bubbling.

I've also been more mindful of the panel layout since you mentioned it.  With earlier pages I was more focused on a bit more storyboardish look, showing as much of the panel as possible. I'm still unsteady in panel dynamics, but I'm planning on mainly bending them when there is  more motion. Not sure where to look for the pointers.

Woah, this is beautiful.

I can't lie, I'm not particularly a fan of your rendition of masks on the characters, but I can understand why you would draw them that way. Beyond that, the fact that the masks and everything else in these few pages is so amazingly drawn just sweeps away any complaints I could form, which would be minimal in the first place.

I love the characterization you managed to form in the characters in the few pages of dialogue and action you've made, it's impressive to say the least! And the fact that you can draw something so detailed and artistic to match that writing skill makes these a real gem. Specifically, I have to say my favorite part of this so far is that water effect in the last panel of page 11 for comic 1. It's just so fluid and...well and I don't know how to describe it accept to say that, to me at least, it's fantastic.

I can only hope you'll keep up the work!

I'm always so happy to hear when characters come through strong! And thank you! I'm trying to keep the story focused but still give time to linger. :D

Finally decided to click on your banner and check out your comic.

I.

Love.

This.

i always imagined all of the seas of the Matoran Universe to be of the Silver Sea and not restricted to just Metru-Nui, but I don't care because this is beautiful. And funny, very funny. I eagerly can't wait for more and will await patiently (irony at it's best). Hail now, as your topic has a new follower! :D  All hail Makuta Sethuldur (whom is funny as McSchnitt).

I must say, your design for biomechanical MU beings are unique.

There are some lore inconsistencies in the comic I'm aware of. The seas in the Spirit Robot are very likely silver or close to it on the surface. But I guess, that's another thing I could ise as a story element. XD

And Seth is honored! Thanks!

Please excuse the genericness of my response, but I like this.

Generic responses are just as important! I'm glad you like the comic! :D

Man, these are great! I'm glad you mentioned them to me, it certainly is great seeing more Hand-drawn comics here!

It's a very interesting style, to say the least; certainly unique, I cant say ive seen anyone draw bionicles quite like you do :P I like it! :D

The story is shaping up to be pretty interesting; that water toa does not exactly seem happy at all, I wonder what it was that they took from her?

Cant wait to see more pages! :)

--Akaku: Master of Flight

I really like the style of the movies, but I'm a cartoonist at heart and a die hard for details. Thank you! :3c

TQ fished off her "scarfy-thing" off her. She registered their boat when she passed under it, so she assumes that they still have it. Somehow. Magically. Who knows? But she is mainly miffed at them because of their behaviour. She is also pretty drunk.

• Upvote 1

PAGE 15!

Next page up! Next week: FINALLY FIGHT! Someone's gonna have a bad time! Can Seth get Traqq out in time?

Edited by Stroxx
  • Upvote 2