Bzprpg - Ta-Wahi

Friar Tuck

IC

"It's okay if you want a minute."

"So even the Assassin has his manners; you are not to far gone, not yet. Yes, Dorian, I would like a minute to ponder some last thoughts... and speak a few last words with you."

The Toa of Iron's Calix moved with surprise as the turaga spoke, no doubt wondering how the old one knew his name. Vakama stood there hunched over his fire, either oblivious or not caring for the young man's reaction, the final things he thought only the Turaga and Mata-Nui would know. The silence in the hut was thick and heavy, and to the two beings within no doubt felt like a small eternity when in reality it was merely a minute, maybe to. Eventually and slowly the turaga turned around, drilling Dorian with a stare only an elderly, experienced, and knowledgeable turaga could.

"Yes, Dorian, I know who you are, and that you are not alone. Pray tell, where is your accomplice? Slaughtering more of my innocent and defenseless villagers to allow you access here? Perhaps I was wrong about saying you had manners."

To the Toa's credit, he did not reply. Vakama shook his head, heaving a long sigh. "Yes, you were sent here to kill me for a pile of widgets, a life sold to the highest bidder. Tell me Dorian, how much does a soul cost? What is the going price for an old man, broken and beaten, sent back to bring tidings of false hope? The blood of an innocent man for a bag of metal trinkets, a bag no matter how large you can't take it with you. And why, may I ask? Are you just greedy? Have you no hope left? Or have you fallen that far that it no longer matters? Or maybe... or maybe it's because you think you're doing the island a favor."

Vakama hobbled over to a chair and sat down, both knowing very well this was probably his last speech. "Maybe you know more than I give you credit for. Maybe you know that the way needs to be cleared for the final showdown, and only with our deaths can the final act be presented. That in your vileness you are doing the island a good. A favor. You may believe that in some small, vain way you are truly the heroes here, that our passing opens the door to something better... "

The chuckle was hoarse and humorless. "That, my dear boy, is the greatest lie the Shadows have ever conjured. Death is never good. Murder can never justified and be positive. The Makuta and his minions have clouded your judgement to twist the truth. The truth is, this deed you do does nothing for the good of the island. This is a terrible, irredeemable, and damnable act, and you somehow believe in the great scheme of things you might be seen with some sympathy. No what you and the Makuta fail to understand is that this act does not bring about any good; it is only by the grace and will of Mata-Nui that it does."

The turaga's eyes were closed. "Evil can never beget good. Two evils does not produce a positive. What is really happening here is that Mata-Nui is using this tragedy despite the horrendous consequences. What the Makuta would use for evil, He in his infinite wisdom and mercy will use for good. Out of the very jaws of defeat will victory be snatched, and thus out of this vile moment Mata-Nui will bring about his traitorous' brother's final fall. To you there may not be much if at all a difference, but that is the greatest part of the lie, the most subtle form of misdirection. It is sad that someone so gifted would so easily fall. But just because good will eventually come out of this does not pardon the act. I am sorry Dorian, but you and your blood brothers and sisters must and will pay for your crimes."

The tuarag's face was hard, yet slightly compassionate. "You, Rit, and all the others, are known. We, the turaga, knew far in advance of this moment. Do not dare ask how, you will not find out, not that it matters at this point. The point that does remain is that was I speak a full list of all the assassins is already in the hands of one I trust most, and soon that list will be revealed. Not publicly, no, that grace it was decided to be given to you; only a few will know. A few individuals who will, at some future point, be tasked to bring all of you in individually and answer for your crimes, to have justice served, to see retribution done to the fullest extent. To have mass hysteria, a massive manhunt, entire Koro's turning out to lynch the individuals involved without due process... no, that would be a slight to our legacy, a dishonor to our name. It will be quiet, dignified, but it will happen. Not immediately, not even soon, but mark my words Toa it WILL happen in the near future. Your time of reckoning has been set, though the date remains fluid. I hope you will by then have the grace and dignity of your own accord to accept whatever fate that befalls you. Whether you choose to let the others know or keep a secret for yourself is your choice. Choose well."

Vakama took a full breath, and stood to rather meager full height, the pride of Ta-Koro in him despite his condition. "You have done me the honor of listening to an old man speak his last breaths, and for that you have my thanks and respect. I however must have some last words with your accomplice, so I cannot allow you to kill me... at least not at this moment. You may try, but I will do everything in my power to stop you. I may not be able to halt the inevitable, but I will do what I can to slow it. So then, Dorian, Toa of Iron, step forward and do what you believe you must. I will also do the same. Let us see how well and much your training has payed off."

The old man leaned heavily on his staff, an evil smile on his face. "But I warn you, I am not as defenseless nor inexperienced as I look."

OOC: alright Tyler, you get one post, one move. Make it good :P

Edited by Friar Tuck

Living large... like clown-shoe size large. Complete with nose, rainbow-colored hair, and a bottle of seltzer water.

tumblr_lrgowllgeP1qzda76o1_500.jpg

Dear reader, Let me tell you about a strange man who lived in a rock. He was a giant among men, but he would never harm the innocent. He was philosopher, and a warrior. He was very odd for someone of his species, and lived a simple life until he met another Skakdi and set out to destroy Makuta's followers, but oh...that's a story for later. For now, the start of the journey...IC. Ta-Koro, Near Mount Valmai.Near a volcano walked a giant, who looked up at the smoke and rock with defiance. An enormous shell of magma hiding a core of burning lava, billowing death from its single outlet. Was this where gods slept? Or devils? Did demons escape in smoke? Or were angels dark wisps in the air? After all, he knew that angels were not always soldiers of light. They were not peaceful and calm. There were dark angels. Angels of death.How more befitting a title could he find?Some claimed they were pure- free of all things evil. But were they not mislead? There could not be good without evil, for that was what good was. Iiasmir himself had evil aspects. Rage was a good example. However, this did not make him evil: the balance of good aspects kept him truly "pure." That was real perfection. Not the false belief that you were completely free of all negative emotion.He traveled down from the valcano, making his way into Ta-Koro. It was a rocky journey, and his muscles were tired from hours of practice. His feet hurt, but the skin and metal was as tough as the rock under him. The claws on his toes dug into the tough rock and turned it to dirt. He had blazed his own trail from his training spot back to the Koro. There had been obstacles, but they had burned. Now, his little pathway was clean, all the way to the gates of Ta-Koro.Iiasmir entered the gates, waving to Matoran (and a cute female Skakdi down the road) as he walked to the ramshackle hut beside normal houses. Originally, he had intimidated the citizens, but they had soon learned to see him as a big brother of sorts, kind of out of place and out of touch emotionally. He had friends (especially bar patrons) and he knew some guard members. He was viewed as a harmless home-dweller, staying inside a good bit.Ah, home. It was the Skakdi's own world, a rather odd looking place that reminded him of his first home. A large rock sticking up out of the ground. They was a wooden archway that led down into the cave that reached beyond the boundaries of the top level, which was merely the cave entrance and a portrait of himself. The main room was a simple den, a bed under a hanging lamp with a bedside table. On it was an open book, pen lazily sitting between the pages. He kept a personal volume of what happened in Ta-Koro in the Skakdi language.The real intrigue of the cave was it's sheer amount of tunnels. They spread under Ta-Koro, leading around outside the city and sometimes even into the surrounding Koro's. He worked on them daily, and sometimes met strange creatures or found riches in metals or rocks. He'd taken a fire mole as a pet once, but hasn't the heart to keep it locked up and set it free. Whenever it fell short on food, or became wounded, it would pay him a visit. He'd patch it up, give it some food, and let it sleep on a little cot by his bed. It was a simple life, but it was a life with which he was content. He didn't need adventure, and didn't look for it. But would it find him?

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

IC: Baranx

Baranx harshly coughed, discharging the ash from his lungs as his tear-stained eyes tried to scope out any suspicious figures, to no avail.

He spotted Fehran, however, and decided to move over to him.

"Still *cough* nothing?" he wheezed.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Xerov (Inn, Ta-Koro)

"There's been a change of plan," I explain. "I just got an unexpected visit, and I'm apparently wanted in Onu-Koro. Some guy calling himself 'the Dreamer' sent a Ko-Matoran here to find me."

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

IC: Dorian (Vakama's Hut, Ta-Koro)

"Before this happens - before what has to be done is done - I want you to know something, Turaga, because as you have granted me your respect, I hope you will, in turn, accept mine."

My voice was steady, steadier than I thought it would be, but everything, everything Brykon had taught me about being a man, cried out against what was happening right now, in this very hut. Turn around, walk away, Dorian. Go back to Ga-Koro, settle down with your girlfriend, take life easy while your days still aren't numbered.

And yet, somewhere, deep in what was left of my soul - deep, somewhere in what first Naara, then Brykon, then Vakama had seen in me - something told me that both men in this hut knew I didn't have a choice. And so the butterfly knife in my hand unfurled, rolled around in my palm, and I straightened up my posture, just as I had before I'd cheated death against Brykon, against Anthyn, against the Ta-Koro Guard, against the Mark Bearers, against Heuani himself. And I sighed.

"I'm not taking the money. The truth is...I'm doing this because in a way, I'm kinda just as ready to die as you are."

As the last three words exited my mouth, the truth of them reverberating through the recycled air of the so that Vakama could actually feel their genuine nature, I reached out with my mind and manipulated the poker for the fire - solid iron, hardly good for use if it came down to a melee fight, but still suitable for what needed to be done - to fly straight into the fireplace. The metal stabbed right through the smoke shelf, spilling the smoke from Vakama's fire into the room. In a matter of a minute and a half, the enclosed hut was filled with enough smoke that the Turaga's coughs and wheezes were plainly audible. Though his element was fire, the old man's body was still weakened by the Parakuka, every breath a labor. As he looked around, searching every inch of the hut he knew so well for any telltale hint of my presence, he found nothing.

From behind him, a voice: it was soft, musical, beautiful to the ears, but underneath the layers of vibrato and the facade of a youthful air, age was present, age that almost seemed to mimic the Turaga's own.

"The minute is up when you say it's up. Goodbye, Turaga. May your Spirit have mercy on both of us."

Twenty seconds later, the smoke shelf slid back into place in the Turaga's fire pit, and the Turaga waved his firestaff in slight confusion, clearing away a path for his eyes to see properly with. The door swung slightly on its hinges, creaking with age: Vakama was once again alone in his hut. His brow furrowed as he looked around for his assassin a couple times, perhaps seeking a trick or some sort of improvised device that would finish the job, but apart from a few wisps of smoke, it was as if I'd never been.

"Hey! You! Where are you going? Haven't you heard what's happening?"

I had cut my way back out through the alleys I had followed to get to Vakama, my heart heavy with the weight of my decision. I had no doubt that, soon enough, I would be apprehended, probably executed. I was a dead man walking, now more than ever, and honestly, what was the point? Killing an old man, a father to so many people, for money I would never see, for a burden on the soul I could never remove? I knew what it was like to lose fathers - first my birth father, then Brykon - before you were ready: the people of Ta-Koro would get no such fate from me, at least.

Besides...it didn't feel right. The lives taken by my inaction back in the Kumu Islets, after I had rebuilt myself not just as an assassin, but as a man, those lives still weighed on me. The people of Xa-Koro were disgusting, the scum of the earth, a good portion of them probably evil. But...there were people I'd known on those islands, too. People I may have worked with, shared drinks with, spent the night with, and because of me and the people I'd associated with, they were dead. My soul had done enough in the name of a paycheck without killing Vakama. So as I advanced to the gates of Ta-Koro, and the two Ta-Matoran who were standing guard that shift saw me, took their pikes that were at least twice as big as them, tried to block my exit, I couldn't help but smile, totally at peace with myself.

"My name is Dorian," I said softly: the sereneness of my tone appeared to take them by surprise. "Your Turaga is a dead man. I'm sorry."

Their minds had just enough time to take in what I'd said, their faces had just enough time to show the beginning glimmers of a grieved rage, before I took them by the heads and smashed their faces together, knocking both of them out. That would probably sting when they woke up in about three mornings, but for now, they were at peace, and in a way, so was I. Vakama would die, I knew, and my decision to leave before he was in the beginning stages of rigor mortis would no doubt have consequences in someone's name before long. But as I walked past the unconscious bodies of the two Matoran, through the gates, I couldn't help but let my smile grow a bit.

For the second time in a year, I walked through the gates of Ta-Koro, the village in chaos behind me, and for the second time in a year I shed my old life behind me like a snake's skin, and I felt content enough to sing a quick couple verses as I marched headlong towards my normal, boring, incredibly short new life.

"That's why they call meeeee

Baaaaaaaad company

And I can't deny

Baaaaaaaad company

Till the day I die,

O, till the day I die."

OOC: Well, it may not have been the move most of you were expecting, but it was the one that felt right for his character. Sorry if it disappointed any of you, but I feel like this is really the only thing Dorian could have done without feeling like I was cheating him out of all the development he's made over the last year.

Tuck, as you were. Dorian to Ga-Wahi.

-Tyler

Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC: Viracious in Ta-KoroViracious looked ahead of the crowded city and saw the entrance of Onu-Koro.He ran toward it as fast as he could, moving Matoran out of the way as he did. When he got to it, he saw a large tunnel lit by a dozens of lightstones. Viracious entered the tunnel.HDXC2000 6.0

Edited by Hybridno DXC2000 6.0

"There's been a change of plan," I explain. "I just got an unexpected visit, and I'm apparently wanted in Onu-Koro. Some guy calling himself 'the Dreamer' sent a Ko-Matoran here to find me."

IC: Feongulf~

"Oh?" Feongulf replied. Him? That's quite the coincidence, which means is isn't, probably. was the first conclusion here still groggy mind lept to, and it st her heartlight beating several seconds faster.. Is it me? I mean, the Dreamer doesn't seem like he'd like anyone abandoning their post, which I did, pretty much. . .

She gritted her teeth together within her closed mouth, then took in a breath of air. Calm down. Whatever it is, we'll work it out, yeah. He's just one Toa, anyway.

"Hmm, so you're putting your business here on hold, then?"

IC: Bloodstone, Dagger

Dagger placed the glass she had been cleaning back on the counter and looked up at the Toa of Crystal that had just entered the tavern.

"Why yes, he's--"Boom!

The Vortixx blinked in disbelief. Outside, explosions rocked the Koro, killing some and wounding others.

Evidently, Bloodstone had heard the commotion as well. He emerged from one of the secret doors in the tavern, shouting,

"What in the name of Artakha is going on he--"

Crash!

Another explosion erupted outside the tavern, breaking a window and showering the floor with shards of glass.

"Karz," he scoffed, throwing up a hand to shield his mask, "what's happening? Who's doing this?"

"Don't know," Dagger replied, "but the whole Koro's in chaos. What should we do?"

Bloodstone hesitated, then glanced at the opened door behind him.

"Follow me," he said.

It was just then that he noticed Crystalia.

"You too."

He marched over to the door, not waiting for either of the other occupants of the tavern.

67tlbk.png

There's something wrong. Feongulf seems to be reacting to what I just said, likely to the Dreamer's name -- after all, the only other mildly important thing in that it was ditching the plan. Well, I suppose that's just another mystery meeting him will finally answer. "Yeah. Tarrhus is going to hunt me for the rest of my life, and I doubt that this opportunity is going to repeat itself. Even if I don't actually know what 'this opportunity' is."

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

IC: Myka (Ta-Koro)

Soon enough, they'd arrived back at the inn. "So... see you in the morning, then."

~

IC: Zyron (Inn, Ta-Koro)

Zyron just nodded, smiling. He was glad they'd reached the inn in time, and hadn't lost their way meanwhile... for as pleasant as the day had turned out to be, he really couldn't wait to get to his room, his bed, and just sleep for a night.

So he wished Myka good night, went to his room, and enjoyed the fact that he was finally able to get some rest.

Edited by Taka Nuvia ~ Demon Jester

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

OOC: Time-skip, so that we can meet Huaki at last. :D

IC: Myka (Inn, Ta-Koro)

Myka yawned and stretched as she got out of bed. She had actually had a proper night's rest, which was good, given that she had gotten barely any sleep the night before.

She grabbed everything, and walked out of the room. She walked over to Zyron's door and knocked politely, waiting for an answer.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

IC: Huaki (Inn, Ta-Koro)

Huaki smiled kindly. "You're Myka, aren't you? I could tell. It's the eyes." she had decided she was going to have some fun with this one. "I knew your mother, you see. I'm a lot older than I look. But that isn't why I'm here." Myka was clearly dumbstruck by this stranger suddenly speaking to her, so she continued. "Would you like to join The Dreamer for lunch? Good, because you don't have a say in the matter. Come to the Unfortunate Fikou in Onu-Koro, it's fairly easy to find. Any questions?"

IC: Myka (Inn, Ta-Koro)At first, Myka's expression was one of confusion. Then, as the stranger's words sank in, it began to change; her mouth straightened, she stood up slightly taller than before, and her eyes narrowed, filling with what appeared to be anger. The expression was one so alien to her that most people who knew her would barely be able to recognise her.Then, her mouth opened, and she began to speak in a low growl, full of hatred. "I don't know who the ***** you think you are walking up to me in a ***** inn and trying to feed me ***** about knowing my ***** mother. My mother is dead, and I'd be lying if I said we parted on good terms. Anyone who knew her and knew who I was should know that. So you can take your Kane-Ra ***** story and try to sell it to someone else."

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

IC: Crystalia (Ta-Koro)

As Bloodstone entered the small inn Crystalia grinned at him, towards the door. “Actually before we go I need a word with you Bloodstone,” she said. She then lunged forward at that exact moment, drawing her two long knives and spinning them around before sending them towards Bloodstone’s backside or his chest, depending if he turned around. The poisoned blades would do a number on him if they sank into his armor.

“Raxa sends his regards.” She hissed.

IC: Crystalia (Inn, Ta-Koro)

Crystalia felt the needles pierce the soles of her feet. She cursed in pain and did a back-flip away from her attackers. "Two against one, I'm liking these odds," she grinned at her foes. She stabbed one blade into the wall and drew three poisoned throwing knives before unleashing them lighting fast at Dagger. She then pulled her blade out of the wall; and shot her arm forward as she unleashed a magnetic blast towards Bloodstone, trying to pin him to the wall. "I'm not a traitor, Raxa just pays better, its business you should understand."

OOC: Salamander from Ga-Wahi.

IC: Salamander

Salamander landed in front of the gate to Ta-Koro, the rough, smoky air refreshing compared to the salt that he had been forced to breathe back in Ga-Wahi. It was common knowledge, but oceans and beaches just weren't fit for a Toa of Fire. No, the only place he truly felt comfortable and nearly felt as if he belonged in was Ta-Wahi. The heat, the smoke, the imposing fortress-like feel of the village, the volcano looming in the distance... To Salamander, all of it seemed fitting for a village of fire.

Too bad I'm only here for a short visit...

Entering through the main gate, Salamander looked around for a moment before walking towards the nearest member of the Guard.

"Hey there, any idea where Tuara is? I need to speak with her as soon as possible."

The answer he received did not exactly cause Salamander a great deal of joy: Tuara, along with Angelus, had left for Le-Wahi a few days prior. After making sure to thank the Matoran for the information, Salamander walked away, his mind already trying to process the information he had been given. Why Le-Wahi? It wasn't likely that Tuara would have resumed hunting Utu so soon after the Mark Bearer fiasco, so for what purpose had she gone to the jungle?

But before I leave, I think I will get a bite to eat. I'm pretty hungry right now, and all this flying is not helping.

Edited by Despair

Lacertus

IC (Jin)

I got off the roof the same way I got on: through a trapdoor. Still crouching, trying to hide in the shadow of the chimney, I pulled open the door and slid down into the dusty room below.

It was the top hallway of an inn, and I got out of there the same way I'd gotten in: through an open window in one of the unlocked downstairs rooms. This exit found me in a narrow back alley, trailing between the buildings of the village of fire.

It was the same alley that Dor had used to get to Vakama's hut unseen, I was pretty sure. It twisted around, and I followed it, quickly coming unseen to the Turaga's back door. The soundtrack to my journey were the screams and wailing of the people whose lives I'd just changed forever. I tried my best to close my ears; I didn't want to hear.

But life doesn't work like that, I guess. You can't just ignore the consequences to your actions. I couldn't block those cries of pain and loss; I'd caused them; it was only fair that I listened to them in all of their gut-wrenching agony.

Despite our being partners, I didn't trust Dor to have done his job. We both knew he had been planning to leave after this job; he could just as easily have split before it was finished, leaving me with the dirty work of spilling the elder's blood as well as escaping from a village that wanted to lynch me.

Granted, nobody knew it was me. Maybe I'd make it out scot-free, and return to Brykon without a single murder charge on my head. Maybe it would forever be a mystery as to who killed all those innocent villagers, and it would turn into a campfire legend. Maybe Dor had already done Vakama off, and I should just get out while I still could, before the Guards shut the gates, locking me in.

But I needed to know.

My hand closed around the door handle; it was warm, as though someone had just turned it only minutes before me. I turned it too, and the door swung open without a sound, revealing a dim hut lit only by a crackling fire, and a figure standing before the flames.

I crept in noiselessly, but let the door swing shut behind me. The figure started and turned at the sound, revealing itself to be none other than Turaga Vakama.

So. Dor had jumped ship after all.

The coward.

I'd already plucked a knife from my belt; I clutched the weapon in my left hand; it was colder than the door's handle had been. The steel gleamed in the soft firelight. The air was smoky. My heart was beating like a drum as I took one step closer, and another, closer, to the man I was tasked to kill.

“So.” My voice was husky. “So you're still alive.”

The knife was so cold. The air was so hot. I was going to kill him with it, stab him and watch the blood pour out onto the dirt floor.

It was meant to happen. I could tell because this felt like a feverish dream; everything felt weird and I had this feeling of deja vu like all this had happened before and I was just fulfilling the past.

I took three steps and stopped, just like I was supposed to. I felt stifled in the thick air. The Matoran's screams echoed in my head; I forced myself to breathe deeply and forget. Nothing else existed. Just the assignment. Just the job.

“I promise it won't be for much longer, Turaga. I'll make it quick.”

IC Zharuk (with Dakan and Kaijon as supporting characters)Zharuk Storukru sat down in the office of his partner, the famous Kaijon Richlag, sipping on a glass of chardonnay, while the golden toa of earth flipped through papers. "So, the net profit of Vhisoli's copying business has been..." and Kaijon went into a long, boring speech riddled with financial figures that basically said "Profit". "Good," Zharuk said, nodding his he'd. "Slow, but steady," he thought, taking another sip. "If this keeps up, we'll be making it big in no time." "Pleasure talking with you today," he said, getting up to shake Kaijon's hand. "As with you," Kaijon replied. With that, Zharuk headed out of Kaijon's office.Just as he stepped into the street, the body of Dakan, surrounded with vines, came into view. "Burn these off," he whispered, barely heard by Zharuk. Nodding the toa of plasma sent arcs of plasma over each of the vines. Using finesse learned long ago from his teacher Cosi, Zharuk incinerated each and every one of the thron riddled vines with ease. When the last one was burned, Dakan got to his feet with a sigh of relief. "What happened to you?" Zharuk asked, a look of confusion on his face. "I was investigating what looked like a kidnapping when a toa of plantlife trapped me. I was only able to escape because of this," Dakan said, tapping his mask. "I have a feeling that I shouldn't go back to Ga-Koro." "All of your art supplies are there!" Zharuk protested. "Hey, I have money, I can start again. If you need me, I'll be in Le-Koro," and with that, Dakan disappeared. "Oh well," Zharuk said, rolling his eyes. He was about to go back to his temporary residence when he noticed the commotion in the streets. Apparently, an explosion, or several, had happened. "What the karz?" he thought as he rushed over to the scene.OOC Dakan to Le-Wahi

IC: Zyron (Inn, Ta-Koro)

Zyron was barely awake when he heard Myka knocking at the door; after all, it had taken him quite a while to fall asleep the night before. He assumed that Myka would wait even if he took a bit longer to appear...

Then he heard a stranger's voice, female. He couldn't hear any exact words through the door, but the tone of Myka's voice - he'd never heard her like that before.

Alarmed, Zyron found himself instantly awake. The Le-matoran jumped out of his bed and darted for the door, not even bothering to grab his hat. He quickly opened the door, and saw the stranger, a Ko-matoran... and Myka. Something about her was different, though - he had never seen her so angry before.

"Excuse me..." was all he could think of saying.

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

IC: Flay

They had searched for some time now, and Flay knew that whatever heartless being had decided to throw these 4 bombs into such a bustling street would have left by now, should he or she have been escaping through running. Holding her hand up, she shouted for her team to return to their origin point - just outside Vakama's hut. Even now, as she passed the streets, pain still cut her heart. But the worse part was - she asked herself why. She didn't know why the pain was here. And for a second, she even wanted - even wanted - to just ignore them, claim they were....weak.

She silently cursed herself, trying to suppress her thoughts. Turning, she looked around, for Jaller, for somebody, with clear directives for her. And so she stood, weapons still at the ready, outside Turaga Vakama's hut, and waiting, for someone to give a direction.

Flay didn't know what, exactly, was happening inside the hut, but she knew that - soon - they would have to check inside.

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

"Yeah," I say, taking another glance around our filthy surroundings. "No reason at all."

A short while later, we've left the keys back and left the inn. I take in a deep breath of the fresh, Ta-Koro air -- and some of the fresh, Ta-Koro ash as well. After a short fit of coughing, I begin walking again without a word.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

OOC: I would like to thank Eyru for the jam.

And now ladies and gentleman, the last post of Turaga Vakama

IC

Despite the commotion outside, cries of the injured, the wails for those who had died, the confusion of a sudden attack, the inside of the turaga’s hut was silent. Heavy, oppressive, silence. The kind that forces you to stay quiet, to be respectful, to be still and contemplative. It was ominous too, Vakama staring at his fire, only the occasional pop breaking the mood.

"Ahhh, Jin, so you have arrived."

I hadn't expected him to know my name. That shouldn't have complicated things, but it did. The air was hot, and he was there, sitting in the center of the web. Had he been the spider all along, pulling me closer when I'd thought it was me?

I shook myself free of the cobwebs of disjointed thought, clutching the knife tighter until my knuckles turned white, bringing myself back to reality. He was an old man, and I was going to kill him.

But I was still curious.

“How do you know me?”

"The same way I knew Dorian's name."

“So he was here,” I said. I didn't say it with triumph or disappointment; I just said it. Somehow, I'd known he wouldn't be able to do it. Somewhere between Po-Wahi and the Turaga' smoky hut, he'd lost his nerve.

He'd left me to struggle along without him, and the thing was I wasn't surprised. I'd always known you couldn't count on anyone. I'd tried to pretend otherwise with Dor, but the truth had come out in the end: he was unfaithful; he was a coward; and I was still alone.

“That still doesn't explain how.”

"And you will never know. Only one person knows, but he does not know yet. Tell me, young Vortixx, why have you come to kill me?"

“Why do you think?” I replied harshly. This was already taking too long. “To get paid. It's what I do.”

Vakama shook his head, giving a long, heavy sigh. "Yes, of course, the widgets, a mercenaries’ only friend. You were sent here to kill me for a pile of coin, a life sold to the highest bidder. Tell me Jin, how much does a soul cost? What is the going price for an old man, broken and beaten, sent back to bring tidings of false hope? The blood of an innocent man for a bag of metal trinkets, a bag no matter how large you can't take it with you. And why, may I ask? Are you just greedy? Have you no hope left? Or have you fallen that far that it no longer matters?"

The turaga paused, finally turning around to face this new assassin. "It was the same question I asked your partner, and now I ask the same of you. What is your answer Jin?"

What WAS my answer?

To karz if I knew. I was just doing it for the money, wasn't I? There was no law against that; every man looks out for himself, right? Right? Every merc was the same.

But... did I want to be that person? Did I want to be the person who would sell her morals to the highest bid- oh, who was I kidding? I already had! I'd already killed hundreds in Xa, and completed hundreds of jobs before that. I needed money to live, and I'd chosen this path a long time ago.

Blood for bread.

Okay, fine, I was evil. That's just how the dice fell. I never wanted to be evil, but I'd never had any illusions that I was good. Where would I go when I died? Probably karzahni, if you believed in it, which I didn't. Might as well go all the way, right?

Karz, I don't know. Who did? Who cared? This was a job, that was it.

“It's just my job. I don't care why; I just need to kill you.”

Vakama stared at her with old eyes, experience seeing through her charade. "No, you do care, a small part of you does. Perhaps you are conflicted? Perhaps you think you are doing the right thing? Perhaps you know that the way needs to be cleared for the final showdown, and only with our deaths can the final act be presented. That in your evil, your sheer vileness you are doing the island a good. A favor. You may believe that in some small, vain way you are truly the heroes here, that our passing opens the door to something better... "

The turaga stepped forward, ingoring the pain of the Parakuka trying to get him to rage, and the fact of her sheer size compared to him. His eyes were sad, seeing the battle slowly start within her. He reached out and touched her leg, his voice tremendously quiet. "That, my dear, is the greatest lie the Shadows have ever conjured. Death is never good. Murder can never justified and be positive. The Makuta and his minions have clouded your judgment to twist the truth. The truth is, this deed you do and have done does nothing for the good of the island. This is a terrible, irredeemable, and damnable act, and you somehow believe in the great scheme of things you might be seen with some sympathy. No what you and the Makuta fail to understand is that this act does not bring about any good; it is only by the grace and will of Mata-Nui that it does."

A tear rolled down his cheek as he sensed many things within her, knowing that this time he would not escape. Therefore he would give her the same last words he gave Dorin, hoping in some small way she would benefit as well. "Yet you know this: Evil can never beget Good. Two evils do not produce a positive. What is really happening here is that Mata-Nui is using this tragedy despite the horrendous consequences. What the Makuta would use for evil, He in his infinite wisdom and mercy will use for good. Out of the very jaws of defeat will victory be snatched, and thus out of this vile moment Mata-Nui will bring about his traitorous' brother's final fall. To you there may not be much if at all a difference, but that is the greatest part of the lie, the most subtle form of misdirection. It is sad that someone so gifted would so easily fall. Fall for a few coins. Jin, oh beautiful Jin, you have sold YOUR life to the highest bidder. You may think someone sells you lives, but really it is you selling yourself, slowly, piece by piece, death by death, until you have nothing left. Nothing but an empty soul that only the clinging of pretty metal can fill, but it will never be enough. It never will. Is it worth it?"

“Shut up!”

The knife flew through the air, a blur of colored steel, and embedded itself in the wall of the hut. I turned away from Vakama, pressing my hands to my temples.

“I don't believe in Makuta, you old fool!” I spat. “I don't believe in your gods, and I don't subscribe to your religion.”

I whirled around to face him again; some anxious mania keeping me from standing still; my hands clenched into tight fists; there was still a knife in my hand. I pointed it at the Turaga; the tip shook.

“I'm not doing this for anyone,” I snarled. “I'm doing this for me. ME! You're not dying for the greater good; you're dying because I'm going to stick you like a pig! I don't care! I don't- I'm not-”

Tears streamed down my cheeks as the enormity of my actions struck me. I had just murdered innocents, watched as helpless children died in a blast of fire. Here I was, about to kill an old, helpless men, and he was pleading with me not to stop but to realize what I was doing. I was evil. I was a murderer. Aurelia wasn't the killer; I was.

No. No no no it wasn't supposed to... but who cared? I couldn't, this was just another job. I did jobs for money, not for pleasure. Profit, not a good feeling. This- I was- who-

I'm Jin, , and I'm the best mercenary around because I get the job done. There's nothing here for me besides an objective.

“I- I'm- I don't owe you or your gods anything. I'm not confused; I know what I'm doing, and I'm doing it for me. I'm going to kill you.”

"Yes you are."

Vakama stepped forward once again, releasing his firestaff to the floor as he reached out with both hands and grabbed her legs, his small, frail head craning up to look at her. Looking to see her own tears streaming down her face, her whole body trembling, her emotions taking a wild gukko ride through the jungle. It was at this moment that Turaga Vakama ceased being a turaga, and simply became Vakama, an elderly man who knew what needed to be said to a struggling child, and one who wanted his own pain to end.

"You are going to kill me because it is what needs to be done. You will do it because you have no other choice. But there is always a choice Jin, there is always a way out, if you are strong enough."

He clenched her legs in pain as he struggled to stay upright. "I want you... no, need you to kill me. The pain I have suffered is too great, the toll on my body and mind too much to bear any longer. This thing, this parasite is killing me in more ways than one, and right now it is pressuring me to hurt you. To fight back. To give in to the rage and hate and anger that I feel towards Makuta. To those that have harmed my people, to you, my killers. But that is not who I am. No, I am a Turaga, and I wish that in my last moments I died a Turaga, not some monstrous beast trying to lash out and avoid the inevitable. And that is where the choice comes in. You don't have to kill me directly to end my life - kill the Parakuka."

He looked up at her, his ancient eyes calm yet pleading. "Rip it out. Take your knives and cut it from me. The anguish will be unbearable, but at least I will be free. Free to enjoy my last moments as a true matoran once more... and to die like one as well. You will do this for me Jin, and not because I told you to, nor out of hate, nor out of obligation, not even for the money. You will and I will tell you why... because I forgive you."

He let those words hit her like a speeding lava flow down the mountain, now unable to hold back his own emotions any longer. "I forgive you Rit for what you are about to do. Forgive what you have done to my villagers. Forgive what you have done to harm me and my people. I can choose to in my last moments hold onto the hate and suffering, to clench those thoughts and hope that one day you find your due, but now I realize that is wrong... so wrong. If I do that the Makuta has won the real battle, and everything I have stood for will have been for naught. Please Jin, do what you must... and know I have no ill-will towards you or your kin. This is the choice we all must make, and forgiveness is mine."

He looked at her like the father she probably never had. "It is ok Jin... take your knife and rip it out. Make the choice. Please. I forgive you... I forgive you... "

I sank to my knees, the knife falling from my nerveless fingers. What was happening to me? Why couldn't I just finish this job? Why did his words affect me so much?

Because... maybe he was calling out to someone I'd forgotten.

Jin. Who was she? She was Vortixx extraordinaire, the gal with the fastest and flashiest moves, who could take out the biggest and baddest brutes without breaking a sweat. She wasn't a murderer, though; she wasn't coldblooded.

I wasn't coldblooded, was I?

The screams echoed in my ears, the screams of the villagers I'd killed. A picture flashed before my eyes, of Xa-Koro's harbour, of a razor-sharp knife slicing sails to ribbons.

A spherical fruit sailed through the air, ripe to explode.

The truth hit me like a bomb. Who was I? Who was I? I had let myself slip away, telling myself it was all okay just because I didn't care.

I didn't care.

I didn't owe this island anything. It had never given me anything, it didn't deserve anything in return. I didn't deserve anything. So why was it so hard to do this simple thing?

Maybe because I was tired of weighing everything. I'd never wanted to be evil. Brykon and Aurelia had lured me in with the promise of riches; Dorian had enticed me with visions of power and excitement. All I'd ever wanted was to live my life, and somehow I'd lived out something I'd never expected.

Now, here I was, kneeling before a Turaga whom I was supposed to kill, and he was forgiving me. Asking one last thing. Telling me it was okay to take his life.

Of course it was okay. I could do anything I wanted, right?

No, it was wrong. There was a line, where I started trading my soul for money, for worthless bits of metal and gold.

Who cared?

I needed to finish this job; Brykon wouldn't leave any loose ends. I knew him too well to believe his promise that he would just let us go. Even if he did, Aurelia wouldn't. She would find me, and make me pay for deserting her.

I needed to do this. And Vakama, in his mercy, was offering me a way out.

Was it possible, was it fair, to ride the line like this? Was I a murderer, or a healer? He was asking me to cut away the sickness, not to kill him, but to free him.

If I said yes, did that make me good or evil?

What would follow if I accepted?

What would follow if I refused?

I didn't know. And I didn't care. I wasn't a coward like Dor. I was going to finish this, for myself, and for the old man before me.

For Jin. The real Jin.

I did what I liked, but I wouldn't sell any more of my soul. My soul was my own, and no one else's. Not Dor's, and not Brykon's. Mine. I was going to kill Vakama; I was going to sing him to sleep.

I nodded mutely, and then, before the Turaga could move or even understand my choice, I acted.

The knife was in my hand again; I reached out and roughly spun the old man around, exposing the slug on his back.

The creature was slick and grimy; it wriggled on the elder's back, as if it knew the fate that awaited. Its carapace shone in the firelight; it clicked and squirmed.

It repulsed me; that made the deed all the easier.

My knife descended in a rapid downward stroke, as quick as lightning. The parasite shrieked, filling the small hut with an ear-piercing scream of fury, unleashing its energy reserves in a last-ditch attempt to save itself. Vakama's frame suddenly spasmed, his limbs beginning to swell, spikes pushing out of his skin, a cry of pain escaping his lips-

And then it was over.

I had struck before the slug could defend itself; the ugly creature lay on the ground, curling into itself, separated from its host, its blood pooling out onto the dirt. I'd known blood would be spilled, but it was not Vakama's, like I'd thought.

No, I hadn't struck Vakama, but he was dying all the same.

The old man collapsed into my arms; I dropped the bloody knife to the floor and gently cradled him, feeling his blood and the slug's mixing and smearing onto me. I didn't care. All I could see was the old, weary, peaceful face looking up at me.

Just close your eyes,

The sun is going down

You'll be alright.

No one can hurt you now,

Come morning light

You and I'll be safe and sound

Jin knelt there alone in the hut, her gentle voice ringing softly off the walls of the hut as she rocked to and fro, cradling the small, frail body in her arms. She sang to him, sometimes slipping into the Vortixx tongue, feeling the life slowly ebb from him as he remained curled up in her arms, motionless except for the rasping breaths, breaths that became harder and took longer to do with each passing intake of air, his heartlight growing ever weaker. For a moment he stopped breathing, only to start up again, turning his head to face her.

"Do you see them?"

"Who?" she asked, eyes red from emotion.

"Them. My brothers and sisters. They are waiting for me."

Jin turned to see where he was pointing, only to see an empty wall. She looked back, expecting to see some delusional face. Instead she saw only a weak smile. And a mask that was at peace.

"The others... Nuju and Onewa... Matau and Whenua... and Nokama... they are all here. Waiting for me... welcoming me... here... "

"Where... is here?" she questioned, holding him ever tighter.

"Artakha."

Whatever pain he had been suffering was clearly gone, his body relaxed as his eyes looked about, seeing something Jin could not. His mask, as old and aged as it was, beamed with a glow that she had never seen before, the entire room feeling warm, a sensation that was not brought on by the dying fire. "It... it is so beautiful... more so than the legends say. Here there is no darkness, no evil... only happiness and contentment for those who work, and... and... I see Mata-Nui!"

The only way to describe his face was that as a child finally reunited with his father after a very long absence. Vakama, his face full of happiness, finally looking relieved, as if his centuries of burdens and labors were suddenly lifted, his body becoming lighter. He reached out to an invisible being, lips trembling.

"He is... he is welcoming me... calling me... home."

He turned to look at her, Jin finally realizing he was not imagining this. There were no lies in his face. His body may have been in her arms, but his soul and spirit were elsewhere. He was granted sight not given to mortals, and while she may have been here, he was clearly there. He reached up and touched her face, a radiant smile on his lips.

"I am going home now. Oh Jin, beautiful Jin, do not cry for me, for I am now in a happier place, a place of eternal reward for my labors. Please... don't cry. All is... forgiven Jin. All... "

"... is... "

"Forgiveeeeee... "

As the last breath escaped his lips, his heartlight faded, then died.

Turaga Vakama was dead.

Edited by Friar Tuck

Living large... like clown-shoe size large. Complete with nose, rainbow-colored hair, and a bottle of seltzer water.

tumblr_lrgowllgeP1qzda76o1_500.jpg

OOC: I really don't want to ruin the beauty of the above Vakama post by posting with my newbishness, but still, ah well.IC: FeranFeran ran back to Flay, hopefully with Baranx following."So this is the hut. I've always wanted to meet with Turaga Vakama," he said wistfully.Hardly had the words been spoken that he heard a female voice shouting, then the sound of sobs and talking, and a horrible shriek. Something heavy dropped onto the floor.Feran froze."Mata Nui help us all..."OOC: Should we attempt to break down the door?

OOC: This post takes place roughly between Dor fleeing and Jin doing the deed.

IC:

Rhow looked up at Taoki standing on Destian's shoulders, who looked a bit awkward being used as a vantage-point. But only a few seconds later, Taoki dropped down again, his feet kicking up ashen dust as he landed heavily. When he stood back upright she saw the runt looked pretty shaken, if that was possible for a Skakdi.

"What is it?" Rhow asked, stepping closer. She waved Iraanus over.Taoki just shooked his head, poinintg down the street. "They're dead...several Matoran, all dead." he said. Rhow activated her thermal vision and looked where he was pointing. And then she saw it too. Among the bright orange of the living and the cooler buildings, she spotted what was left of the Matoran, coloured in a dim orange and getting colder. She turned her vision off again and snarled. "It's like back in the war at home." she growled.

The Matoran in the area had quickly fled the scene, unsure of what was going on. Maybe the nightmare wasn't over yet. But soon enough, curiosity would set back in and they would come back. The few guards present would have their hands full with taking care of the injured and dead; as well as protecting the living in the area. Rhow turned to the other Skakdi.

"Iraanus, Sookus, stay here. Keep an eye out for anything odd. If you can help the Matoran, do it. If not, doesn't matter."

"And you?" Iraanus asked. Rhow nodded at the larger hut nearby. "Talk to the Turaga, of course." she said. "Tell him what we know. You saw the place when we got here. Old man's back."

"In the middle of the day, with guards at the front-door and dead Matoran in the street? Why would they one, much less six of us, talk to the old man?"

"Remember that church in Xa-Koro?" Rhow asked. Iraanus looked a bit confused, then his eyes lit up. "The tunnels?" he asked. Rhow nodded. "Important places with important people usually have a back-door. We'll try that. If that doesn't work, we'll go talk to the captain."

With Iraanus and Sookus staying behind, the six remaining Skakdi walked towards the Turaga's hut, but took a right as Viloz pointed out some alleys nearby that would give them more cover. They slipped into the sidestreets, but quickly found that the Matoran had built them following the lay of the volcanic rock beneath their feet and not in a pattern. There was no direct alley running parrallel to the street. Rhow sighed. "This might take a while." she grumbled and started walking again, looking for the right path back to the Turaga's hut.

OOC: Leaving it at that, so Jin can escape. The Skakdi need a few minutes to find their way around anyway.

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC: Flay

Flay could have guessed what was happening inside Turaga Vakama's hut. In fact, anyone with common sense could have guessed. But at that time, rarely anyone would have had common sense, in favor of 2 things.

1. "NO! Nononononononononono-"

2. "To karz with you, Makuta! You monstrosity!"

But it was Flay's brother that kept her grounded. The sight of her brother, roaming the streets of Ta-Koro, that gave her hope. And fear. And fear let her think. It was at these certain times that Flay was happy for her mask, not because of it's abilities - which it didn't have - but for the cool metal on her face, calming down the heat from her pumping blood, even if heat was her innate element.

Destiny has had it's way, and Flay would follow that path, already set in stone yet waiting for a signal to begin. And it was during these times, Flay had greater emotions.

But she was also a soldier, and she couldn't show tears on the battlefield. It was a thing of honor, of dignity, of being an example. And so, when she could hear the pain of the turaga, she knew to let go.

Let go.

These two words were nothing in certain times, yet everything in other times. Their meaning was on a massive scale. You could be letting go of a shield in favor of two swords, as Flay had done. Or you could be letting go of a village elder in favor of....whatever it was Destiny had planned for them. And that, that was the amazing thing about letting go. It gave you a choice. And obviously, the choice involves choosing to let go, or choosing to grip it, hold it tighter, hold it closer. But sometimes, there was only one way to hold it closer and tighter, and that was to let it go. Maybe, if they let go of Turaga Vakama, let the man die as he wanted, some noble sort of sacrifice as he made his way into the afterlife for the blessed, then the matoran would be able to hold him closer. To hold his words closer. And that was Vakama's legacy. All of the Turaga's legacy.

Their words would be the one that allows victory for the matoran. Maybe their deaths would herald an age of rebuild. Or it would pave way for an even greater rule of shadow. But for now.....it was time for the present.

And to Flay, the present meant letting go....and then holding on. Vakama may have forgiven Jin, but Flay, who knew nothing about the Vortixx assassin, didn't. And someday, she will hunt her down. And if not for justice, it would be for a question.

What was - is - Vakama's final legacy.

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

A short while later, we've left the keys back and left the inn. I take in a deep breath of the fresh, Ta-Koro air -- and some of the fresh, Ta-Koro ash as well. After a short fit of coughing, I begin walking again without a word.

IC: Feongulf~

Feongulf followed after Xerov through the ash obscured streats of Ta-Koro, she too doing nothing to break the silence as they walked.

OOC: Feongulf and Xerov to Onu, I suppose?

IC (Jin)

I knelt there, in the dim smokiness of Vakama's hut, and cradled the dying Turaga in my arms. I hadn't planned it; this wasn't supposed to be happening... but it was. Instead of killing him, I'd cut off his parasite, freeing him and dooming him in the same breath.

And I was crying. I didn't know why; I couldn't understand it, but it had something to do with what I'd done before coming into this elder's home; it had something to do with the fall I'd taken without realizing it. Or I was delusional, weeping for no good reason. I was too weary to understand and too muddled to make heads or tails out of anything.

I heard a sound filling the hut; it was low and raspy, but rose and fell like music, keeping time with Vakama's each laboured breath.

Gradually, I realized that I was making the sound. I was singing.

I'm not a singer, and you could tell. My voice was husky and choked and you could hardly make out the words. I didn't mean to, but I did, and I couldn't stop. As I looked down on the elder's peaceful face, I felt new tears brimming in my eyes, and I whispered,

Lah, kan'a dim

It was a song I hadn't heard for a long time. My scratchy voice didn't do it justice, but threading through my harsh words was the strain of melody that I recognized as the lullaby my mother had sang to me.

Lah, kan'a dim

It was an old Vortixx cradlesong, one that I'd heard so many times as a child that it practically sang itself. My lips formed syllables that I had once, long ago, whispered along with my mother. Her voice had always felt soft and warm, tucking me in until the morning.

Hush, my little one.

My tears dripped down onto Vakama's face, but he didn't notice. I gently wiped them away, and his eyes seemed to focus on me for a moment.

He smiled.

I will sing you to sleep like the ocean sighs

I smiled back even as I sobbed again, overcome with emotion? Why? I couldn't understand how this one old man's death could affect me so much, but when I looked back later, I realized that the Turaga symbolized innocence, and peace, and light. He represented everything that I had killed when I had knowingly murdered innocents, slaughtered children. I had washed my hands in his blood and in the blood of his people, an interloper dedicated to their destruction.

The birds are soaring far above the mountain

I was the evil one, and yet he smiled at me. He smiled and forgave me and told me I had done the right thing, and that reminded me of how my mother had always embraced me and told me how much she loved me. I hadn't done anything deserving of Vakama's forgiveness, but he blessed me anyway.

There was no curse in his eyes.

Fly with them in your dreams

The song spilled out of my mouth even as I wept as I sang to the elder in my arms. I sang to the Matoran I had murdered only a few short minutes ago. I sang for the people of Xa-Koro, whose lives I had snuffed out like a candle.

Fly up through the clouds

I sang for the blood I had spilled and the life I had trampled and the people whose lives I had weighed and measured, coin for coin.

My song will carry you

I did not apologize. I did not ask for forgiveness. But I sang all the same, slipping between Matoran and Xian without trying or caring, all my attention on Vakama's peaceful face, on every frail breath, on every weak pulse of his heartlight.

Walk among the stars, my precious one

Then he looked up at me; his eyes focused again.

"Do you see them?"

“Who?” I asked, hardly managing to get the words out.

"Them. My brothers and sisters. They are waiting for me," he said, pointing at an empty wall. "The others... Nuju and Onewa... Matau and Whenua... and Nokama... they are all here. Waiting for me... welcoming me... here... "

He was dreaming; his mind was producing one last vision of happiness before he passed into the void. But I couldn't help myself; I gripped him tighter, my breath coming faster even though I knew it couldn't be real, it was just a last flickering illusion-

“Where- where is here?”

"Artakha."

No. Artakha didn't exist. There was nothing after death, only darkness and emptiness. Most Vortixx don't subscribe to an afterlife, and neither do I. Artakha and karzahni were just the rewards and punishments dreamed up to keep people in line, keep them following their gods.

But Vakama was so peaceful; if artakha wasn't real, then maybe it was better to pretend it did. His eyes brightened, filled with an otherwordly light, and he relaxed in my arms, all his pain gone.

"It... it is so beautiful... more so than the legends say. Here there is no darkness, no evil... only happiness and contentment for those who work, and... and... I see Mata-Nui! He is... he is welcoming me... calling me... home."

No! Mata Nui didn't exist! He was a legend, a fable, a religion, and this was just a fevered dream, his eyes betraying him as he slipped away. But then he looked back at me, eyes shining, and I realized he wasn't lying. There was something he saw. Something or someone that brought him so much happiness and peace that I almost couldn't bear to look. Because there was no way that kind of peace could ever be mine. I was a murderer, a killer; Vakama's future could never be mine. The joy on his face would never be mine. It couldn't be. I would never be free like he was.

He reached up slowly, his hand shaking, and touched the side of my face, trying to comfort me, even though he was dying.

"I am going home now. Oh Jin, beautiful Jin, do not cry for me, for I am now in a happier place, a place of eternal reward for my labors. Please... don't cry. All is... forgiven Jin. All... "

"... is... "

"Forgiveeeeee... "

His last word never finished; it dropped off with a long outtake of breath as the Turaga breathed his last. His hand fell from my face as his body gave up its last strength, finally accepting its fate. His heartlight blinked weakly one last time, then faded forever.

Turaga Vakama was dead.

I sat there for a long moment, unable to think or speak or move as I gently traced his mask with my finger. He looked so peaceful, as though he'd finally goten to where he was wanting to be. Death wasn't a thing to be afraid of; it was a doorway to his father.

As he died, the song had faded from my lips, leaving me without my comfort even as the old man finally found his.

I gently laid the body down the ground, careful not to move too quickly, as though he were merely sleeping and might wake at any moment. I retrieved my knife, wiped it off, and sheathed it in my belt. It was time to go. It felt as thought time itself stood still in this hut, but I knew it was just an illusion. If I didn't leave now, I would never leave.

And, unlike Vakama, I wasn't ready to die.

I opened the back door and slipped out, moving quickly and silently through the back alley I had come from. The hot, dry air took care of my tears, but nothing could mend the pain I felt in my chest, beating in time with my heart, as I fled from the life I had taken.

I will see you with the sunrise

IC: Feran

Feran led the way in. On the floor was Turaga Vakama, dead, with a wistful expression on his face, and tears. Tears. Tears too far away from tghe corpse to be Vakama's

The assassin...felt guilty?

Beside the corpse was a Parakuka, dead. Its blood everywhere, and its body pieces, too.

The back door was swinging.

" Follow?" It wasn't much of a real question.

OOC: As its the year of my final exams, please expect me to be offline for even longer stretches of time. 'Kay.