The Lego Movie

Lyichir

So, with less than two months to go until The Lego Movie hits theaters, I thought it would be worth it to start a topic and see if I could get some discussion going.

The Lego Movie is being developed by Warner Bros. It's got some big-name stars (Will Arnett, Morgan Freeman, Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, and Liam Neeson, among others). The trailers we've seen so far are gorgeous, with stop motion animation blended perfectly with CGI to create the first full-length Lego movie where EVERYTHING is made out of Lego elements (up to and including water, lasers, and explosions). There's going to be a large accompanying line of sets, pictures of which give us more of a taste of what we can expect from the movie, as well as a full series of 16 collectible minifigures.

How excited am I? Ridiculously excited. I could prattle on and on about how awesome this looks, but let's leave that up to everyone to discuss. What are you most excited about in regards to the movie? What's your impression of the trailers we've seen so far? What Lego themes or characters do you hope to see featured in the movie? This is an open discussion, so have at it!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

To be honest, I wasn't that excited because my chances of seeing it are low; my excitement would be wasted. But after hearing a lot more about it, I am pretty excited and I am looking forward to seeing what the movie has in store. I don't know what themes will be featured in it, but I'm sure I'll be surprised! :)

But I slightly hope some classic sets and minifigures will be seen in the movie. That'd make it better and it's even a tribute to the past and history of LEGO itself.

mindeth the cobwebs

At first I thought it looked kind of bad, but then once I looked into it it seemed to get better. I mean, it has Morgan Freeman and Will Ferral in it. How bad can it be? (to answer that: bad. But I don't think it will be terrible)

picasion.com c4ba807b638d12d03dd390658f770e50

TANNOHK-KAL FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In a world filled with peace,

one shadow will spark a war

My epic, Shadow Destiny: http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=10089

To be honest, I wasn't that excited because my chances of seeing it are low; my excitement would be wasted. But after hearing a lot more about it, I am pretty excited and I am looking forward to seeing what the movie has in store. I don't know what themes will be featured in it, but I'm sure I'll be surprised! :)

But I slightly hope some classic sets and minifigures will be seen in the movie. That'd make it better and it's even a tribute to the past and history of LEGO itself.

In terms of classic minifigures, we already know that a 1980's classic spaceman fig (with a broken helmet) will be a major character). And that's aside from the many, many, cameos, up to and including the Lego NBA figs from the 1990's 2002 (EDIT: Thanks, Aanchir ).

In terms of classic sets, I haven't seen a lot. Some of the only non-original models I've spotted in trailers and such are things like Modular Buildings to flesh out the cityscapes. We do have confirmation that one of the directors' childhood Space sets will be making an appearance, but the name he gave for it, "Space Village," doesn't match any known set, so we don't know quite which set it is.

There are also shout-outs to themes that may not appear "in the brick" in the movie, such as a girl with a Fabuland T-shirt and a marquee listing buses to Heartlake City. These kinds of shout-outs may be our best chance at seeing themes that don't fit into the traditional "minifig scale," like Galidor, Belville, or Bionicle.

Edited by Lyichir

In terms of classic minifigures, we already know that a 1980's classic spaceman fig (with a broken helmet) will be a major character). And that's aside from the many, many, cameos, up to and including the Lego NBA figs from the 1990's.

In terms of classic sets, I haven't seen a lot. Some of the only non-original models I've spotted in trailers and such are things like Modular Buildings to flesh out the cityscapes. We do have confirmation that one of the directors' childhood Space sets will be making an appearance, but the name he gave for it, "Space Village," doesn't match any known set, so we don't know quite which set it is.

There are also shout-outs to themes that may not appear "in the brick" in the movie, such as a girl with a Fabuland T-shirt and a marquee listing buses to Heartlake City. These kinds of shout-outs may be our best chance at seeing themes that don't fit into the traditional "minifig scale," like Galidor, Belville, or Bionicle.

Well, that's good enough for me. Maybe the use of classic sets can inspire some kind of time-travelling movie where some LEGO guy travels through time periods of LEGO sets. But I'm glad some will appear in this new movie.

mindeth the cobwebs

stop motion animation blended perfectly with CGI

Isn't it all just CGI animated in a way that resembles stop-motion?

Which I think is a much more impressive feat.

I really want to see this movie. It looks so unserious in all the right ways.

The trailer has added "Hi buddy!" to my everyday vocabulary.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I'll probably end up watching this eventually, but I'm pretty turned off by the humor in the trailer. I'd be all for a movie that's 'unserious in the right ways' (as Bfahome stated up there ^ ) but it's just... not funny.

I do like the animation, though. I love the fact that almost everything in the movie is built with bricks and I think the stop motion effect is perfect.

BZPRPG

I've very excited for the movie. I still enjoy the Traveler's tales games, and the one accompanying the movie looks promising. I'm not excited about the sets - other than the Bad Cop Chase, they all look pretty bad to me. I am annoyed that licensed characters like Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are showing up. I don't feel like it will add anything good to the movie.

The Legend Lives...

I posted my thoughts so far elsewhere, and they remain largely the same. I guess I'll quote myself:

I was honestly quite indifferent about the film at first, but I have since turned around and am now looking forward to it excitedly. I love the perspective they are approaching it with - where the nature of the world as a universe of LEGO bricks is not only acknowledged but embraced. It is quite different from other themes, like Chima, Ninjago, and even earlier ones like Orient Expedition, where the ties to LEGO could be removed without damaging the story. What we've seen of the movie so far reminds me a lot of LEGO's US marketing in the 1990s (with MANIA Magazine and the like), something I am definitely appreciating, as the products of that time have always been some of my favorite examples of LEGO media.
Edited by Tazakk

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Though I probably won't be seeing it in the theaters, I would likely watch it whenever it appears on TV a few year from now. I would just like to see a Bionicle-related cameo in it. Even if its just a Kanohi Mask in the background or something like that. I think that would be really cool.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I'm not really excited for this, partly because the story doesn't really seem too interesting to me. I'll probably just end up watching it on Netflix or Youtube or something if it's there.

Though I probably won't be seeing it in the theaters, I would likely watch it whenever it appears on TV a few year from now. I would just like to see a Bionicle-related cameo in it. Even if its just a Kanohi Mask in the background or something like that. I think that would be really cool.

That would be nice, really

Initially, I thought it'd be stupid, but it actually looks pretty funny. If it gets great reviews, I'll probably see it opening week or the week after (I almost never go to the cinemas, except for the free movies at a local theater every summer), but if it gets mixed or negative, I'll wait for Netflix. That said, I don't go only by reviews, but I'll see what people have to say about it.

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

I hope to see it opening day. I think having a Bionicle easter egg would be fab, but I'm not holding my breath.

At any rate, I like the style. Nobody does humor quite in the same way as Lego does, and I love that, they're staying true to themselves. This movie has so much potential, I think I'd enjoy it even if there was no plot at all.

signature.png

signature.png

I'm looking forward to this movie. Based on the trailers, the humor used seems up my alley, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the main character in action.

I'm loving some of the references such as the flip-faced cop and the 1980's space guy. The style reminds me of the LEGO Studios sets I got as a kid. My brothers and I would make short films starring our friend's hamster among big names like Johnny Thunder. Of course we didn't have CGI technology to work with, but that's where this comes in. I'm really hoping the makers of this movie had the mentality of returning to childhood and making movies with their favorite toys.

Edited by Tekulo the WindWriter

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

The official Lego Movie site has updated!

It now features a new Batman wallpaper as well as five more characters in the character gallery: Frank the Foreman, Ma and Pa Cop, Batman, Robot Fed (listed in the product description of Cloud Cuckoo Palace as Executron), and Sudds Backwash.

Sudds' description basically confirms my suspicions about the "two-in-one" sets: that a key part of the movie will feature the citizens of Bricksburg rebuilding their vehicles and homes to fight back against their oppressors.

And Batman is Wyldstyle's boyfriend. Who knew?

Thanks for pointing out the update.

Did I hear somewhere that Gandalf will be in it?

An ad for the videogame adaptation said that Gandalf would be appearing courtesy of New Line Cinema. I imagine that means he'll be in the movie itself as well.

• 1 month later...

So I haven't posted in this topic in a while. There's been a lot more TV spots. Lego is currently giving away posters with any purchase of a Lego Movie set in Lego stores or on the Lego Shop website (and you can get a secret Classic Spaceman Benny poster in stores by telling an employee his catchphrase, "Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!!!").

Most recently, it was brought to my attention that the soundtrack, which is only available to preorder on the U.S. Amazon.com, can be previewed on the German site. It sounds like it should be neat; it's got an electronic feel that, at least to me, sounds like stop-motion animation looks. And it's fairly epic in scope. Most importantly, it's distinctive, which in my mind makes it better than the Hero Factory soundtrack or maybe even the Bionicle movie soundtracks (which I liked, but were a bit too "generic fantasy score" in my opinion).

Finally, I'm arranging a meetup for BZPower members in the Northern Virginia area to all go and see the Lego movie together, so if you're interested in that and could make it to such an event, please head over to that topic to make your voice heard!

Anyone else got anything to discuss? Less than three weeks until the movie comes out!

Have you guys seen these? (I stumbled across these on the Lego Movie Website, but maybe it's because I don't watch TV and live under a rock.)

70801 Melting Room

70808 Super Cycle Chase

70804 Ice Cream Machine

70805 Trash Chomper

70800 Getaway Glider

70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace

While I doubt these contain actual movie footage, I really liked the Super Cycle Chase one, and the Cloud Cuckoo land one has the evil robot doing a MATA NUI, thereby elevating the amazingness level. :)

Also these:

Batman

Emmet

Wyldstyle

Metal Beard

President Business

Have you guys seen these? (I stumbled across these on the Lego Movie Website, but maybe it's because I don't watch TV and live under a rock.)

70801 Melting Room

70808 Super Cycle Chase

70804 Ice Cream Machine

70805 Trash Chomper

70800 Getaway Glider

70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace

While I doubt these contain actual movie footage, I really liked the Super Cycle Chase one, and the Cloud Cuckoo land one has the evil robot doing a MATA NUI, thereby elevating the amazingness level. :)

Also these:

Batman

Emmet

Wyldstyle

Metal Beard

President Business

Ooh, I hadn't seen those first ones! You're right that they aren't footage from the movie, but they're not commercials either so much as brief animations to showcase the sets. I like them; they're a lot more dynamic than just an ordinary 360 degree turnaround would have been.

The character spotlights do use footage from the movie, although those ones aren't meant as TV commercials either.

Haha, wow, that's awesome. I think that's the first time we've actually seen Uni-kitty talk, too. Man. This movie just looks great in general, I can't wait for it to finally come out.

Funnily enough, I saw a TV spot that featured other lines from Uni-Kitty (specifically, "Any idea is a good idea, except the not-happy ones!"), but I can't find it anywhere online. I wonder if it was aired early by accident or something.

If you really want to media-scrouge: This trailer is different from the others, and if you watch

, the first few seconds of Batman have class.

The featurette was funny, mostly because it was the real people talking as Lego characters. Elizabeth Banks is an action hero? Weird. I wouldn't know anything about that. :P

Edited by fishers64

Those were exactly my thoughts when I was checking out the Soundtrack part of the Movie's Wikipedia page. This Movie is blending together not only so many cool Lego things but lots of little bits and pieces from some of my other favorite things in the world. Lego went all out with this thing.

AXKP5KC.png