The Lego Movie

Lyichir

I just got back from seeing the super-special-week-early-showing of The Lego Movie at the HOP at Dartmouth College (where, I recently learned, the two directors graduated from).

Basically, it was awesome.

I'm going to put the following in a spoiler even though it's not very spoiler-y:

Basically, it was a Meta Alchemist Toy Story Matrix movie.
But I'm sure you all will be thrilled to hear:
There WAS a Bionicle reference in it, about a fifth of the way through the movie.

I managed to get a free Lego Movie poster and activity book. Can it get any more awesome?

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I just got back from seeing the super-special-week-early-showing of The Lego Movie at the HOP at Dartmouth College (where, I recently learned, the two directors graduated from).

I'm going to put the following in a spoiler even though it's not very spoiler-y:

There WAS a Bionicle reference in it, about a fifth of the way through the movie.

I managed to get a free Lego Movie poster and activity book. Can it get any more awesome?

WHAT IS THE REFRENCE?

Edited by ToaJaller77

BionicleNYCC-327x252.jpg

:br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:

WHAT IS THE REFRENCE?

NOOO! Don't spoil it for me!

Arg I have to see that movie now, but I won't be able to until Tuesday the 11th no why.

Edited by fishers64

WHAT IS THE REFRENCE?

We'd actually be spoiling a plot point to tell you. We can say that it goes by very quickly - blink and you'll miss it.

Even Fabuland got more references. I didn't even catch any Bionicle parts showing up in the background (which could be my fault, but I did spot a bunch of humorous uses of old Space and Fabuland parts that seemed like intentional gags).

Well, its four days to release, and critical reviews are finally starting to trickle in. Surprise, surprise: they are all overwhelmingly positive! This bodes well for the Lego Movie being the first universally successful direct adaption of a child's toy in cinema history. (Sorry Transformers, G.I.Joe, and Battleship, I think you've been beat.)

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

They're making a sequel. That was quick.

It's the most obvious decision ever. This movie is going to print money for absolutely everyone involved.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

It's the most obvious decision ever. This movie is going to print money for absolutely everyone involved.

I'm rather curious as to how a sequel would work. The way it's done doesn't really leave any obvious openings for a sequel, furthermore doing so would be like trying to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

I'm rather curious as to how a sequel would work. The way it's done doesn't really leave any obvious openings for a sequel, furthermore doing so would be like trying to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

I admit I don't know how it ends, but all the same, a sequel doesn't have to continue the original's storyline. All it has to do is be set in the same world and retain at least a few of the main characters.

The thing I love most about this move (well, I guess I can't say that for sure seeing as I havn't seen the movie yet) is the awesome mix of stop motion and CGI, it works so perfectly, I wish Ninjago was like that!

It's not a mix. It's all CGI specifically designed to look like stop-motion.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I admit I don't know how it ends, but all the same, a sequel doesn't have to continue the original's storyline. All it has to do is be set in the same world and retain at least a few of the main characters.

Once you see the movie you'll understand better. It really doesn't leave much opening for a sequel.

Personally, I hope they don't make a sequel. I typically don't like sequels, and I would like them to keep it with just the one.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

97% on Rotten Tomatoes, dang it.

Still , overall much better reception than I anticipated (and this demonstrates that Lego wasn't paying the critics off to give a 100% score)

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Still , overall much better reception than I anticipated (and this demonstrates that Lego wasn't paying the critics off to give a 100% score)

I don't think it's possible to pay off all movie critics anyway. A lot of critics are contrarians who would reveal the subterfuge or take the money and give a low score out of spite.

Besides, the low score was from the New York Post. It's not a big loss.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Oh, god dang it. The bad review had a spoiler, which I kind of expected from what I heard from other reviews, but is nevertheless disappointing to see spelled out so clearly. I don't know how big a spoiler it is in the overall movie, but it's really bad form to put stuff like that in a review before the movie even comes out. Ugh. Why did I even go read that.

AXKP5KC.png

Yeah, that critic should really edit the review and take that out (although it isn't really explained how much it pertains to the plot). Everyone out there who hasn't seen the movie, don't read the "rotten" review. It gives away a (presumably) really major spoiler.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Skimming a few of the reviews, they're all pretty painful so far. I get that most people aren't into LEGO the way we are, but that's no reason for most of the commentary to be so rude and dumb. Is it really so much to ask people to capitalize the right words and not make dumb comments about how they misremember LEGO as something radically different in their childhood?

...not that the movie helps all that much. The anti-AFOL bits are enough to have us arguing about the movie for years (although, unfortunately, we can't start hashing it out now without spoiling anything).

So, there are a few other reviews that allude to a live-action third act. Basically, I suggest anyone who doesn't want the movie totally ruined, don't read any reviews unless they're from fan sites like BZPower where everyone is pretty spoiler-conscious.

Edited by Toa Zaz

Haha, here in Hungary we already had the film on theatres since yesterday. :D And I saw it and it was aaaaawesooome. I was really afraid how this film would turn-out with being so obvious about the story-line, but they delivered in such a trope-conscious and awesome way the only trouble I had with this film was trying not to laught too loud. And I have to watch it again.

And yes, it is a mix of stopmotion and CGI, but the real stopmotion parts are very obvious (and nontheless funny as pit). And the CGI animation is very heavily influenced by stopmotion wich plays very well with movie's theme.

Oh, and...

SPACESHIPS! SPACESHIPS! SPACESHIPS! SPAAAACESHIIIIIIIIIPS!

Edited by Stroxx

bio_sig02_lores_by_oyee-d77i3td.jpg

New pages are up! Click to see latest! \(°u°)/

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

Older pics: Helryx's Fury | Makuta Sethuldur | Order's Call (no necro k? C8)

Thats better than any I've seen, and I do hope they make a sequel, if only to make more creatively awesome movie products. (Yeah, I do love the Lego Movie sets)

buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

There was actually a Kreo ad in my theatre before the movie showed. :P

Anyway, I got to watch the film today, and the first word that comes to mind is...awesome. I liked the film.

Wyldstyle: "And several others [Lego Lands] not worth mentioning...*Bionicle reference appears*"

Let me change that opinion...*giant robot punch*

Also IMO the

live-action sequence

added a strong sense of emotional gravitas to the film. But the sequence looked wrong, like it was filmed on a super-cheap Sony camcorder. (Ironically, I thought I saw a Sony logo earlier in the film lol.)

That ending was perfect for a sequel IMO. Emmet versus the secret hidden enemies revealed at the end would make a decent film if done right. :P

There was actually a Kreo ad in my theatre before the movie showed. :P

Anyway, I got to watch the film today, and the first word that comes to mind is...awesome. I liked the film.

Wyldstyle: "And several others [Lego Lands] not worth mentioning...*Bionicle reference appears*"

Let me change that opinion...*giant robot punch*

Also IMO the

live-action sequence

added a strong sense of emotional gravitas to the film. But the sequence looked wrong, like it was filmed on a super-cheap Sony camcorder. (Ironically, I thought I saw a Sony logo earlier in the film lol.)

That ending was perfect for a sequel IMO. Emmet versus the secret hidden enemies revealed at the end would make a decent film if done right. :P

I saw the Kreo ad, too! Strange that they showed it before the LEGO movie XD

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

I'm going to go out and see this for a week. I'm already disappointed that I had the third act spoiled by my inability to not highlight a white space in an above post.... Ah well, it's my fault.

There had better be a BIONICLE reference somewhere in the movie.

DON'T TELL ME IF THERE IS OR NOT. I know literally NOTHING about this movie other than that one bit above, and don't want to know anything else. Like, seriously, all I know is that Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman are in it, and so is Batman, so this can't be a bad movie.

I enjoyed the movie very much. So did the two people I saw it with.

I really don't know where to start on how much I enjoyed it. All the gags were great, spanning the entire spectrum from the kid-focused ones to the ones that you'd only understand if you were paying attention.

"He's the hero you deserve." That one took me a second. I laughed all the more for it.

Then of course there were the moments that sent the entire theater into fits of laughter, like Benny's SPACESHIP! rampage at the end, Uni-Kitty's freakout, and the sudden Millennium Falcon appearance (and subsequent disappearance into the mouth of the asteroid worm).

I was initially put off by the live-action sequence toward the end, but I thought it was handled decently in the end. Would've liked it if it were kept solely in the LEGO universe, though.

All the characters were great. Bad Cop was funnier than I expected, what with his seeming hatred of chairs. Batman was hilariously wannabe-dark, Uni-Kitty was whimsically cheerful (well, mostly), Benny was adorably eager, and everyone else was so un-serious it just worked together flawlessly.

Great movie overall, would like to see it again, will definitely buy on DVD.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Just got back from seeing the movie.

All in all, it was great. It was funny and clever and the characters were all enjoyable. That said, since the big reveal about The Man Upstairs was spoiled to me in a review, I think that part of the movie wasn't as enjoyable as I would have hoped. In general I think those parts of the movie were a bit odd. It was handled well, but still.

I really liked the supporting cast of characters. Probably the biggest complaint I can think of is that some of them (Like Metalbeard and Uni-kitty) didn't get to enjoy quite as much of the spotlight as I would have wanted, but what they did get was great. My favorite character overall was actually probably Emmet himself, but the other eight "main" characters were all great too.

Or course, the visuals of the movie might be its strongest point. There is so much going on at most parts of the movie, it's just a joy to see. Of course the (many, probably too many in retrospect) trailers gave us a good idea of what it was like, but man. Those effects are just so cool. I definitely need to rewatch the movie several times because there are a lot of things I probably missed in the background. (One kinda-background thing I didn't miss was Uni-kitty's face when they were riding the SPACESHIP, and it is one of the funniest things I've seen) And also, of course, because it's awesome.

Edited by dotcom

AXKP5KC.png

Oh I finally found an actual LEGO Movie topic on this site.

The movie was good; saw it at the midnight premier. I knew the plot for like 2 months but it was great to see it visually now. I got three of the Robot DJ figs which are cool. I also got the Emmet's Car promotional set today, which is also cool. The soundtrack that I preordered should be coming in the mail sometime Monday. I downloaded The LEGO Movie video game illegally to see if I could get the Windows version of the game to work on my Linux machine, but it didn't work. I should probably dualboot Windows onto my computer so I can play all these PC games I own/want to buy but I hate Windows. Oh well.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Where'd you pre-order the soundtrack from? Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble seem to have quietly moved the release date from the 4th to the 11th, though I can't figure out why.

Amazon has the physical soundtrack releasing on the 11th, but the digital version's already out. As a bonus, if you pre-order music CDs from Amazon, it'll usually let you download the MP3 versions for free before the CD even arrives. So while I wait on the CD to arrive, I already have the whole thing available for listening on my phone.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Where'd you pre-order the soundtrack from? Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble seem to have quietly moved the release date from the 4th to the 11th, though I can't figure out why.

I ordered it from Amazon, which is getting me the physical CD and the MP3 downloads.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I see. I prefer having a CD because then I can rip it in lossless. It sounds a lot better. I guess the Amazon MP3 thing explains why there are so many 256kbps encodes floating around on the internet. Thanks for the info.

Has anyone who's seen the movie stayed to see if there's a post-credits scene (those are all the rage now)? Don't tell me what it is - I just want to know if I should sit through all the credits or not.

• Upvote 1