Takanuva

FallenCor

Looks like Takanuva here was lost in that last hack, so here he is again! I do recall a comment a while before that saying something about the link being broken, so all the more reason to repost it. The linework was originally intended for the BrickFair T-shirt contest, but I couldn't resist coloring it. :)

I think I'm going to forgo trying to set up another collection topic and just link to all of my artwork from somewhere on my profile...

• Upvote 4

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Wow, this is awesome.

The lineart is sleek and smooth. I like how you made Takanuva's arms and legs look so angular and stylish. Cool pose, too. It would have been easy to do a run-of-the-mill pose where he's just standing there, but you chose something more dynamic and attention-grabbing. The way Takanuva's looking off-camera makes me wonder what it is that has caught his eye. Rahkshi? Makuta? Long-lost kolhii stick?

I've got it! This image takes place during the Mask of Light story arc, right after he crashes the Ussanui into the gate at Makuta's lair. He hops off and strikes this cool pose. Or maybe you had something else in mind?

Moving on... Great choice of colors. I love the reflective sheen on the golden armor (it has to be shiny when you're drawing the Toa of Light!). I also like that you made his staff appear to have a wooden handle, and that you added some gold trim to the blade. Mata Nui knows how quickly that piece became over-used on the sets, so it's nice to see that you gave our legendary warrior something to stand out from the crowd.

Last, I dig the background mirror-image. It makes me think of a technique they use in some anime, when a character's presence is making a big impact. And few things were more impactful throughout BIONICLE's run than the arrival of Takanuva. Whether or not it was intentional, the background image helps show the audience what a larger-than-life character Takanuva really is.

All in all, nice work on this. You have yourself a fan.

If I were to just put my initial reaction in here and leave the post like that, it would most certainly be regarded as spam. :lol:

Anyway, I absolutely love this depcition of Takanuva. The art style is fantastic, particularly the angular design of the arms and legs (as Disciple already pointed out), generally it suits the character very well. Colouring/shading are splendidly done, too.

Maybe the image in the background could have been a bit less faint; I had some trouble identifying it at first (then again, that might also have something to do with my screen's setting, so...)

Overall, it's really cool. =D

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Well, I got nothin'. Simple but well handled cell-shading, dynamic pose, and great stylization on the armor and proportions (those lower legs are the best take on nuva limbs I've ever seen, and I really like how you handled the limb joints, for some reason). However, I'm going to have to disagree with Disciple on the background - personally, I'd suggest going for something more ambitious by placing characters in to full scenes. Y'know, with landscapes n' stuff. I mean there's nothing wrong with a simple background that puts the focus on the character, but, when you're this good at drawing figures, you ought to start practicing other things!

Oh, and I'm curious - what was the drawing process behind this? What program do you use? It looks like it might be vector art, everything is so clean and sharp.

I've got it! This image takes place during the Mask of Light story arc, right after he crashes the Ussanui into the gate at Makuta's lair. He hops off and strikes this cool pose. Or maybe you had something else in mind?

Spot on, man! :) I was originally going to go with something a liiittle different, but I'll explain below...

Maybe the image in the background could have been a bit less faint; I had some trouble identifying it at first (then again, that might also have something to do with my screen's setting, so...)

Hm, could be that our screens' resolutions are different. :confused: Sorry about that.

However, I'm going to have to disagree with Disciple on the background - personally, I'd suggest going for something more ambitious by placing characters in to full scenes. Y'know, with landscapes n' stuff. I mean there's nothing wrong with a simple background that puts the focus on the character, but, when you're this good at drawing figures, you ought to start practicing other things!

Indeed I do. Backgrounds aren't exactly my forte, and it's definitely something I plan to work on after the holidays. I'm hoping to one day be as good as the background artists for films like Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet, which means I'm going to have to put in a lot of work, ha ha. Wish me luck, though!

Oh, and I'm curious - what was the drawing process behind this? What program do you use? It looks like it might be vector art, everything is so clean and sharp.

Welp, 99% of my drawings start out as messy pencil-sketches that I scan and upload to either Photoshop or Autodesk Sketchbook Pro (2010, I believe). Sketchbook is a cheaper and simpler version of PS, really. It has all of the most basic tools; brushes (mostly pen-style), ruler, copy-and-paste, etc. Because of its super simplified layout and features, however, I feel like it forces you to be more creative with what little tools you have (and feels closer to traditional media, imo), which feels more comfortable to me, personally.

Anyway, my hand is far more steady with pencil-and-paper, so I basically just trace my sketches with a pretty basic brush (usually a hard-edged pencil/pen), using a combo of swift, freehand strokes and (in Sketchbook, anyway) the ellipse tool for awkward shapes. Hence the sleek linework!

On a layer under that, I just start dumping colors everywhere with a large brush until I get a messy version of what I'm looking for, then I zoom in and clean it up. On the next couple of layers sandwiched between the linework and the base colors, I add the little effects. Shading is usually black on low opacity, slathered all over the figure. Most people tell me that working from dark to light is the way to go when it comes to shading (depends on the artist, though), and for Takanuva I just chip away at the shading with an eraser until I get the desired look. Same thing with the highlights, except I don't lower the opacity, I choose a lighter version of whatever color I'm working with. The glow of his eye and heartlight is just a dollop of pale yellow above the linework layer using the air-brush tool. Finally I merge all of those layers and copy the resulting one for later.

The background was originally going to be Makuta's lair, with Takanuva surrounded by shadow, BUT, it didn't work. Instead, I kept that basic teal wall (because I liked it too much), took the copy of the Takanuva layer and enlarged it, lowered the opacity, added those big fat black panels and et voilà!

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I love it! The style is simply gorgeous, and you did a great job with stylization! Shading gives the perfect idea of space, especially the light on the spear (love the golden details on it BTW).

Oh, and the mask. It's just awesome.

It was interesting reading the process behind this, I work in a very similiar way (I've never been good at 'tracing' a drawing in Photoshop though :confused:).

I'd love to see more! (like other Toa Nuva or Makuta or something) ^_^

• Upvote 1

hidron_nuva_idea.png

Indeed I do. Backgrounds aren't exactly my forte, and it's definitely something I plan to work on after the holidays. I'm hoping to one day be as good as the background artists for films like Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet, which means I'm going to have to put in a lot of work, ha ha. Wish me luck, though!

Hah, excellent. I'm hardly a pro at landscapes and backgrounds either. Just keep practicing, I'm sure you can do it, you certainly have a good-luck-wish from me.

Also, that process explanation was way more in-depth than I expected, thanks for taking the time to lay it all out. It doesn't sound drastically different from how I've handled cell-shaded work before, so that's encouraging, I guess. I'm still impressed by how clean it looks...

Sure thing, Onyx! And thanks again!

I'd love to see more! (like other Toa Nuva or Makuta or something) ^_^

Funny enough, I actually have a (very stylized) sketch of Makuta Antroz that's been sitting in my sketchbook here since Halloween (and never finished due to art-block at the time). But y'all don't need a fully inked-and-colored drawing of that creepy so-and-so, right? ;)

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow. This is simply brilliant :D

There's a simple, cartoony style that makes me think of Derrick J. Wyatt (of Teen Titans and Ben 10 Omniverse fame) and I love it. The posing is awesome, it's nice and clean and you can see the simplified versions of pieces from the set made all mechanical :D

Love it, plain and simple ^_^

Astris Janus

Right, new forum, new signature. Or, at least, a reboot.

20795.jpg

Dual Sides; An Expanded Multiverse Epic

Bionicle Anime: Toa Mata

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
- Anonymous

To me when i see this picture the first thing that comes to mind is Star wars The clone wars.. Not the new cgi ones but the ones that ran from 2003 to 2005. It had a very similar style and just the sleekness of the art gives it that touch. Also i like the way you included gold onto the actual blade. Adds a nice touch.

Truly a wonderful piece.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

This looks awesome plus when i see this, i think of the Star Wars Clone Wars the one from 2003 are style but a lot different. The foot of it looks really odd but it's okay i think, the weapon and mask looks amazing. Another thing is that i think this will look better as a poster and a iPhone skin then a T-Shirt.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Your drawing of Takanuva looks awesome! The colors are very nice, too! The picture also reminds me of the animation in a 2013 TV series called Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which looks awesome!:)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Oh my that is simply gorgeous.

I actually really dig the background: it's simple and effective and yet subtle enough that it supplements the actual art without detracting from it and without making me realize that it was really just the art all over again, haha. I love the dynamic pose you've got him in and I also am a huge fan of the few additions you've made the actual set. You managed to stay pretty true to the original and so the one addition that stands out to me is the gold trim on his staff, and you know what? I like this better than the original set. It makes more sense, in my mind, and it looks fantastic.

The one thing I'm not a huge fan of is his torso...to me it looks a little flat. Those old nuva chest pieces liked to protrude out a fair bit and you've flattened it out a bit too much, IMO.

But to each his own, and quite honestly this is some of the most gorgeous art I've seen in a long time. Well done.

PS if you want to, y'know, post up that similarly-styled Antroz, I don't think anyone would complain... :P

{Z}

• 4 weeks later...

The one thing I'm not a huge fan of is his torso...to me it looks a little flat. Those old nuva chest pieces liked to protrude out a fair bit and you've flattened it out a bit too much, IMO.

Yeah, the physical sets are a little tricky to convert into "cartoon form," but honestly I've always thought of the chest pieces protruding too much. BUT I have to remind myself that real-life armor was like this so knights/warriors could actually move, ha ha. Not sure if that would apply for a primarily-robotic being... but we also have to take into consideration the fact that any being's chest will look a least a tiiiny bit flat when bent forward like that. I think the end result is just an odd combo my newness to both Bionicle-style anatomy and human anatomy, conveyed via cartoony art-style, ha ha. Definitely something I'll work on, though.

Apologies for the late reply! And thank you all for the compliments and critiques! ;w;

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |