Who Is (And Isn't) The Great Being?

Those of you who have read Chapter 3 of The Yesterday Quest are aware that one of the characters we have known in the MU was actually a Great Being in disguise. I took it upon myself to recreate the topic GregF had started in the old forums as he cannot post or make topics at this time. He never edited his first post with new information and always had a new post, so I have gathered up all the facts and posted them here in one post for your convenience. :) So far, GregF has stated that the Great Being is:

• [*]a named character.[*]a still living character.[*]a character who would have migrated to Spherus Magna by now.[*]a character who has appeared in story before.[*]a character who could have been created by Mata Nui at some point rather than being one of the original ones the GBs made and its creation was pre-arranged[*]a character who has always been the GB (not a case of the GB's consciousness was hidden in the person's mind or the person is being controlled by the GB)

GregF has stated that the Great Being cannot be:

• [*]Helryx -- "I did toy briefly with the idea of using Helryx for this, but rejected it in part for the reasons that Alyska cited -- I did not want to undercut a strong female character by revealing she was secretly a guy all along."[*]Kapura -- "Actually my first choice, but got rejected for the same reason all of the other Metru Nui Matoran got rejected -- the mind wipe in 2004. I need the GB to remember he's a GB."[*]Vakama -- "Some great arguments were made for him in the contest topic, but I felt we had seen so much from his point of view -- so much insecurity about being a Toa and struggling to live up to Lhikan's example -- that he simply didn't sound like a GB to me. A GB would not care about living up to the example of one of his nanotech creations, especially if his primary purpose was observation."[*]Shadowed One -- "I never really considered TSO for a few reasons. One, Orde was defining the GB as evil, he was not defining himself that way. Two, he was in the MU to observe, not sabotage its running by causing trouble and disruption. And three, I have other plans for TSO that don't involve this."[*]Takanuva -- "Been mind-wiped, so definitely out."[*]Tahu -- "Already been enormously prominent, plus I have other plans for him."[*]Lesovikk -- "Lesovikk's whole motivation was being tortured by guilt over the death of his Toa team. A GB would be unlikely to feel guilty over some of his nanotech getting deactivated. If he felt guilty about anything, it might be what Karzahni did, but he would blame himself, not Karzahni. A good workman does not blame his tools."[*]Vezon -- "You really need to twist logic into a pretzel to make this work. It means he would have to put his mind into Vezok, and then have it split off when Vezon did, as opposed to just staying in Vezok. Plus Vezon was actively trying to keep the Ignika, thus dooming Mata Nui, and there is no evidence the GB wanted to stop MN from completing his mission."[*]Kopaka -- "Anybody Ko- is actually a good guess, simply because of their personalities, which drift pretty close to how I see the GBs. But it's not Kopaka. For one thing, whoever it is I essentially lose as a "regular" character, and I don't want to lose him."[*]Energized Protodermis Entity -- "Sorry, EP entity is not a possibility, as it was not created by the GBs or by Mata Nui. The story specifically states it was something the GBs had a hand in creating."[*]Tobduk -- Mentioned to Nuhrii the Metruan[*]Anyone in the GB fortress -- Mentioned to Nuhrii the Metruan.[*]Any Metru Nui Matoran -- They suffered the mind wipe as stated above.

Though not directly stated by Greg, we can infer that the Great Being cannot be:

• [*]Any Toa Nuva -- The Toa Nuva suffered amnesia as the Toa Mata during their time in stasis. Kopaka and Tahu are already crossed off the list of potential candidates.[*]Any Toa Mahri -- They suffered the mind wipe from 2004 as Matoran.[*]Any Former Spherus Magna Inhabitant -- We can infer that no former Spherus Magna inhabitant is housing the Great Being's consciousness as the being is inside someone who was in the Matoran Universe.

Anyways, post away any comments or theories! :)

Edited by Erebus

jlovfkk.jpg

Ooooh, epic stuff is epic. I'm thinking someone along the lines of a male, cold Toa. Maybe even one of the three from the Yesterday Quest's Toa?

Nah, Has to be an older, more established character. Maybe one of the OOMN members?

R.I.P. Hundreds of Rahkshi, Karzahni (plant), Mavrah, Kodan, Lhikan, Nidhiki, Krekka, Nivawk, Tuyet, Naho, the other seven Toa Mangai, Sidorak, a Toa of Gravity, a Toa of Plasma, a Toa of 'Silence', Reysa, Carapar, Botar, Ihu, Nikila, Jovan, Hydraxon, Morbuzakh, Antroz, Bitil, Krika, Icarax, Mutran, Vamprah, Spiriah, Gorast, Chirox, many Matoran on a southern island, Matoro, Kojol, many Toa of Iron and Magnetism, all of the Toa in a Toa Tower, a winged Dark Hunter, everyone who attacked Artahka, several OOMN members, a Skakdi in the Pit, many Matoran who became statues, Tridax, Jovan's team, Lesovikk's team, Tyrant, a group of Turaga, the Vahki, Certavus, Lein, many Vorox, many Skrall, Guardian, Nocturn, countless Rahi, the Iron tribe, Teridax, Karzahni (person), The Makuta of Stelt, Telluris, Tren Krom ... and good riddance.

Someone on the older forums made a decent case for Onua, in spite of the partial amnesia suffered by the Mata. Though I like the idea of that being a facet of his character, I doubt it would be a character quite so integral to the story.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Did Keetongu suffer the mind wipe? also, think of every single Toa of Ice/Matoran that fits into the criteria...

Why would Keetongu have been mind-wiped, and when would that have happened? Anyway, like I said, the Toa Nuva might not be fully and completely out of the question; Tahu recovered his memories, so the GB in disguise might have as well, and just not said anything. Also, I feel like there might be something else... didn't Greg say that the guys currently in the Tower on Bota Magna are ruled out, too?

Thanks a lot for this, Erebus. :) Since no-one else has, I call a big discussion on Krakua vs. Velika as the GB, and maybe a bit of Artakha discussion too.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Makuta_of_Oz, I made a big case for Artakha back then, but it was shot down by the statement that it is no one inside the GB fortress.

Oh, I forgot about that. I do, however, remember your case. It was so thorough that we all thought you'd win just like that.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I was so sure it was Kapura, that honestly I have no candidate to theorize. I see the logic behind rejecting him though, but it doesn't give me any options. But I thought of this.The only character I can think of that it might be Turaga Dume. He doesn't see the Matoran as equals, as can be seen in his willingness to keep the Matoran of knowing about Mata-Nui's death, and he has a great dislike of people disobeying him, as seen when Nokama told Jaller the truth. And we know the Great Beings thought of themselves as gods, or at least superior lifegorms. And while he can seem uncaring towards his Matoran, he fiercely protects Metru-Nui, standing up to Dark Hunters. Perhaps he knew the danger of letting the hunters have a base in the robot's brain? And he knew the truth of Mata-Nui's death, something that most MU inhabitants won't figure out. In the Dark Mirror universe, Dume claims that no Toa is his friend. Yet since he was a Toa, won't he realize that they could be heroes? But if he was really a Great Being, he won't see himself as a Toa. Not to mention that he didn't loose his memories, despite being in a capsule. And since Metru-Nui is Mata-Nui's vulnerable point, a Great Being would want it to supervise it so that Spherus-Magna would reform.Feel free to find all the flaws with this idea.

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

Initially, I was thinking Krakua, but now I just think Krika. Here are my reasons:Reasons Krika couldn't be the GB:Being a Makuta:Maybe he was a shapeshifter. Or maybe, when all the others in the Karda Swamp were stuck in one form, and the others were blind. He would just be assumed a Makuta, even by the others.Teridax would've known:Who says he didn't? He probably thought that Krika was going to die anyway. Which leads to my next point...He had the least likely death ever. He was dissipated, yes, but that would've meant he could just come back together when he had enough power, and while he was intangible he could go through the Storms and out of Karda.Besides, he always stood out among the Kardakuta.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

Makuta_of_Oz, I made a big case for Artakha back then, but it was shot down by the statement that it is no one inside the GB fortress.

Really? I thought it was Artakha too. Now I have no idea who it could be.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

One of the Toa Hagah perhaps. I'm inclined to think Iruini out of them all. Krakua seems a likely suggestion too or Turaga Dume.

I don't think it was one of the Hagah. Remember when Teridax made them think that everything in the MU was great, even though he was ruling over it? I don't think Teridax would've been able to do that to a GB.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Initially, I was thinking Krakua, but now I just think Krika. Here are my reasons: Reasons Krika couldn't be the GB:Being a Makuta:Maybe he was a shapeshifter. Or maybe, when all the others in the Karda Swamp were stuck in one form, and the others were blind. He would just be assumed a Makuta, even by the others. Teridax would've known:Who says he didn't? He probably thought that Krika was going to die anyway. Which leads to my next point... He had the least likely death ever. He was dissipated, yes, but that would've meant he could just come back together when he had enough power, and while he was intangible he could go through the Storms and out of Karda. Besides, he always stood out among the Kardakuta.

Well, unless Greg chooses to pull a deus ex machina, we would have to assume that the fact that all the Makuta other than Miserix died is actually true. So, unless Greg reveals that he lied, Krika violates the "still living" rule. Honestly, I'd like to say it's Velika due to his being almost inexplicably wise, but Krakua is also a good choice... ~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

It's good to see this topic getting revived. I'm just wondering when we're going to find out who the great being is, as well as the "prize" Greg was talking about for whoever guesses correctly. As far as my guess, it was the Ignika. Of course there are reasons to think otherwise, but a few things Orde had said kind of pointed in his direction for me. At any rate, yes it's a shot in the dark, but that's who I'm running with. Plus, if the Ignika was really the great being, Mata Nui is right with him. That would give the story an interesting twist, and it would bring Mata Nui back into the picture.

It would be hilarious if it was Orde. :P Personally, I think it could be Velika. I mean, think about how cryptic and wise he always is. It also very well could be Tuyet. Just think about it. Then again, I'm remembering what Greg said about Helryx. Couldn't be Dume, because then nobody would even believe it. Then again, it would be a good cover. About Krika, he and Icarax never really died. They just became particle fields across the Matoran Universe. Notice that tons of people have mentioned Artahka, and Greg hasn't killed it yet. It must be him.

Edited by Zarohum

I was so sure it was Kapura, that honestly I have no candidate to theorize. I see the logic behind rejecting him though, but it doesn't give me any options. But I thought of this. The only character I can think of that it might be Turaga Dume. He doesn't see the Matoran as equals, as can be seen in his willingness to keep the Matoran of knowing about Mata-Nui's death, and he has a great dislike of people disobeying him, as seen when Nokama told Jaller the truth. And we know the Great Beings thought of themselves as gods, or at least superior lifegorms. And while he can seem uncaring towards his Matoran, he fiercely protects Metru-Nui, standing up to Dark Hunters. Perhaps he knew the danger of letting the hunters have a base in the robot's brain? And he knew the truth of Mata-Nui's death, something that most MU inhabitants won't figure out. In the Dark Mirror universe, Dume claims that no Toa is his friend. Yet since he was a Toa, won't he realize that they could be heroes? But if he was really a Great Being, he won't see himself as a Toa. Not to mention that he didn't loose his memories, despite being in a capsule. And since Metru-Nui is Mata-Nui's vulnerable point, a Great Being would want it to supervise it so that Spherus-Magna would reform. Feel free to find all the flaws with this idea.

Very plausible theory, Maybe you're right. but what you said about the alternate universe, it was an alternate universe. For all we know about it, Kongu could be suicidal, or Tiribomba could run a circus. Not to mention he probably only hates Toa because most are bad in that universe.

It would be hilarious if it was Orde. :P Personally, I think it could be Velika. I mean, think about how cryptic and wise he always is. It also very well could be Tuyet. Just think about it. Then again, I'm remembering what Greg said about Helryx. Couldn't be Dume, because then nobody would even believe it. Then again, it would be a good cover. About Krika, he and Icarax never really died. They just became particle fields across the Matoran Universe. Notice that tons of people have mentioned Artahka, and Greg hasn't killed it yet. It must be him.

Artakha is in the GB fortress, and there's no one in the GB fortress that could be the GB, so it isn't Artakha, Miserix, Helryx, etc.

jlovfkk.jpg

I was so sure it was Kapura, that honestly I have no candidate to theorize. I see the logic behind rejecting him though, but it doesn't give me any options. But I thought of this. The only character I can think of that it might be Turaga Dume. He doesn't see the Matoran as equals, as can be seen in his willingness to keep the Matoran of knowing about Mata-Nui's death, and he has a great dislike of people disobeying him, as seen when Nokama told Jaller the truth. And we know the Great Beings thought of themselves as gods, or at least superior lifegorms. And while he can seem uncaring towards his Matoran, he fiercely protects Metru-Nui, standing up to Dark Hunters. Perhaps he knew the danger of letting the hunters have a base in the robot's brain? And he knew the truth of Mata-Nui's death, something that most MU inhabitants won't figure out. In the Dark Mirror universe, Dume claims that no Toa is his friend. Yet since he was a Toa, won't he realize that they could be heroes? But if he was really a Great Being, he won't see himself as a Toa. Not to mention that he didn't loose his memories, despite being in a capsule. And since Metru-Nui is Mata-Nui's vulnerable point, a Great Being would want it to supervise it so that Spherus-Magna would reform. Feel free to find all the flaws with this idea.

I like your logic here, but I see one potential flaw - would a great being allow Teridax to imprison him in a matoran sphere? He would want to (at the very least) be able to observe what Teridax was doing, and he could not do so while sleeping inside a matoran sphere. Or maybe he could? I guess it really depends on the extent of a great beings powers...
Toa Nedurno

He confirmed all Makuta were dead, but if Krika was a GB then he wouldn't be lying.

This statement doesn't make sense. :PGregF would be lying if Krika was a GB because he's confirmed that all Makuta are dead, except for Miserix and alternate Teridax. Krika faded from existence, so he can't come back.

jlovfkk.jpg

Ah, Finally this Topic is back. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 people Velika, Due to his cryptic behavior, and that sense of having more to him that meets the eye or Turaga Dume, but the Hypothesis for him was stated best above ;) As for the murderer.....well don't get me started on this :P -Star

Solaris Magnus. Formerly Starparu. 

The Mask of Life is really a great being?

Yeah, I'm getting that reaction, a lot. :P But, think about it. He put his conscious to see how his creation would work. Whose to say that creation was the one he put his conscious into? The Ignika's closest guardian was Umbra. He is the only being to have no inner shadow, and doesn't need air and heat to survive. He is so radically different than any other creation of theirs inside the MU. Maybe he wanted to observe how Umbra would live. And, besides being protected, the Ignika has defense mechanisms that would ensure the Great Being's survival, and thus one day potentially returning to Bara Magna/Spherus Magna. Another thing about the Ignika is that it has the power to destroy the entire MU if it didn't go as planned. Possibly, the Great Being felt he would have the responsibility, and felt he was the only one worthy considering he was one of it's creators. As far as Orde saying a "Bio-mechanical" being, you have to keep in mind he was talking to Gelu, a being that didn't live in the MU. He could have just said that to refer to someone that lived there. Or, another possibility is that Gelu never found out exactly who it was to begin with; he had to pull back. That's why I'm going with Ignika.

I like your logic here, but I see one potential flaw - would a great being allow Teridax to imprison him in a matoran sphere? He would want to (at the very least) be able to observe what Teridax was doing, and he could not do so while sleeping inside a matoran sphere. Or maybe he could? I guess it really depends on the extent of a great beings powers...
True, but I think that if the Great Being was able to stop Teridax from doing things they didn't like, they won't let him create the Great Cataclysm. The Great Beings wanted Mata-Nui to save Spherus-Magna, Teridax's plan threatened that greatly. So if the Great Being could have defied Teridax, he would have. Just because the Great Being has a great intellect doesn't mean he has a body with great power. Still, you have a point. Maybe as the leader of the biggest city he couldn't hide from Teridax?

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

Tobduk eh? intriguing, but he doesn't seem like the type to me. A couple of quotes: "I was made for war" - the GB's persona wasn't made for war but for observation. You could also argue that the GB wasn't "made" at all in this sense. "Tobduk's eyes gleamed with a mixture of rage and madness. "Cause, you see, I didn't survive. I don't even know who I used to be. I'm not who I was ... and I'm not what the Order wanted to make me. I am no one."" This causes so many problems I don't know where to start. I guess not knowing who he is is the main one, but a ko-matoran type personality is not characterised by rage and madness.

ppg2.png

I have a guess that I don't think I've seen yet (certainly not in this topic, at least). I thought that Kazi might be the Great Being... sure, one might argue that Velika might be a better candidate, but both have their pros and cons. Anyways, here are my reasons:- He has a personality similar to that of a nervous Great Being, based on what we've heard about them. Obviously, he is very sarcastic and pessimistic: he's cold even for a Ko-Matoran. He hates it when he has to solve riddles or anything like that.- He has a motive. He was sent to Karzahni because he didn't work too hard - maybe he was observing, instead. Then, he was reassembled into a weaker form, and shipped off like he was a failure by one of his own nanotech workers to a barren realm, and was then shot out of the Matoran Universe, meaning that he couldn't observe nearly as much as before. Sure, Karzahni is dead now, but I'm assuming that both The Powers That Be and The Yesterday Quest are taking place at the exact same time, so Kazi wouldn't know... or maybe the serials are connected somehow.- He kept a journal. He has records of what has been going on around him essentially since the Great Cataclysm, which would make sense based on the last point: the amount that he can observe has been severely diminished, so he might as well try to learn as much as he can about what is happening in this new locale to compensate, and as far as we know, he was the only Voya Nui Matoran to keep records like this. This is a problem for the Velika theory, as if I recall correctly, the Voya Nui Matoran didn't remember anything before the Great Cataclysm (I know that this is the case with the Mahri Nui Matoran with regards to their village's submersion, I'm not entirely sure about the Voya Nui Matoran, though), and, like I said above, as far as we know, Velika would not have had any way to remember the events right after the Cataclysm, while Kazi did.- He did doubt (and rightly so) the Piraka's Toa status (and one of the first to publicly bring it up), and was the first to suspect their motives. One might argue that he originally believed the Toa Nuva to be evil. However, you have to remember that they aren't normal Toa: Reidak claims in chapter 7 of Island of Doom that he had never seen a Toa with similar masks and armour. So, naturally, their Toa-status would be questioned by Kazi as well.- Now, this might seem to be extremely trivial and insignificant, but it might be worth mentioning: he never complained about the heat. Assuming that he is a Ko-Matoran, he probably would spend much more time out on the coast near ice. However, if he was a Great Being, a species that lived on a planet that largely consisted of desert, he would be just fine. Sure, he lived on Voya Nui and might have adapted to the heat (I believe that there has been a discussion regarding Takua's resistance to heat, actually), or could have simply stopped complaining (which doesn't seem like something that Kazi would do, really), but it still might be something. However, we don't know if things like resistance to cold are actually hardwired into the brains of Spherus Magnans (presumably the Great Beings would 'code' the Matoran Universe denizens' behaviours the same way if this was the case), or if cold-resistant beings simply have special armor (so a Toa of Fire with an Iden in a Toa of Ice's body would have a resistance to cold). It might be interesting to know....Just a thought, though, which I know sort of contradicts my second point but still: It was never stated that they want to get back at the Matoran, just the planet. So, could it be that the Great Beings want revenge on the Glatorian for causing the Shattering?

Edited by Infrared