The Hapaka, Ishi Polzin

They

By far my favorite personal character in the BZPRPG, Ishi Polzin - aka The Hapaka - has been a constant challenger to my writing and plot abilities from day one. This was a fast sketch, mainly just to try and get down proportions and the move of his lava-eel scaled coat (which I was drawing while watching Sword Art Online for references). The book in his right is Ahkmou's journal, the karambit in his left stolen from a would-be assassin who found themselves thrown off a train.

106px-Ishi_Polzin%2C_Sketch_01-1.jpg

(click image for a larger version.)

This was done using a no.2 pencil (approximately HB). Comment and critique most appreciated! I will not tell you how many times I redrew the hands...

• 2 months later...

I ended up doing a couple more sketches/illustrations and I thought of putting the better one in this topic. It's a pen drawing I did after hastily sketching the rough version in my journal while sitting in a tea shop/museum. Really I was trying to focus on what was behind the mask of the character, since the in the RPG on this site the inorganic/organic ratio is very different from canon. Comments and critique always appreciated! Of course, the scales on the coat really didn't turn out the way I'd been hoping, but that's just my pen technique. With time it should get better.

292px-Ishi_Polzin_2014_Color.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooh wow, the redrawn one looks way better. Looove how you got that nice shine on the scales, it really makes the coat pop. The proportions are better than the first sketch, especially the length of the neck. Only thing that seems off now is the lower half of the leg, since it shouldn't be longer than the thigh, and the hands seem a tad small. I love the expression on their face, it's very lively and smug and really brings the character to life. The mouth seems to be a bit too low and wide, or rather it seems that the nose is a bit high which makes it seem that way.

I wish you'd have added a little bit of shading to the inside of the coat or something to give it a bit more dimension, and also there should be a little bit of the left leg peeking out, shouldn't there? But otherwise, yeah, it looks really nice. I think the scales look really good and I like that they get bigger towards the bottom of the coat, and the fur on the collar is a really nice touch and looks really fluffy.

I think you did a great job, if you continue to work on this character I would be happy to see more!

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .