What would you want a new Bionicle to look like?

Nato G

If Bionicle were to make a return (and please, don't start a debate about that possibility here), what characters would you like to see in the new line of sets? And what pieces should be used (the new HF plating, or the old Bionicle armour)?

Share you thoughts; I'm very interested to hear what everyone's opinions are.

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Unfortunately, it sounds as though most of the machines used to mold Bionicle pieces (armor an' whatnot) have been melted down, save a few such as the clawed Piraka feet mold, which continues to be used in Hero Factory... so bringing back all our favorite ol' pieces might not be possible.

I do really like the new bones an' shells system they have going with Hero Factory and the ultrabuild series, but I don't think they're doing quite enough with it. Some builds, such as Chi Cragger and Frost Beast mix things up, but aside from that, most of these characters are kinda samey... which, of course, could be said in Bionicle's early days, but there's just a lot more you can DO with the bones an' shells system.

My only beef with the armor is how... plain it is. Now, you can make a figure that looks really sleek and stylish depending on the colors and the size of the shells, but the whole feel of them is, well, flat. They don't have any details like pistons an' grooves an' whatnot. They're just really plain-Jane, cheap and easy to mold pieces that, while less expensive to produce, just don't look that inspired. Now, as the Chima figures show, it is much easier to make a more organic looking creature such as a Glatorian or a Great Being with these pieces, but they don't feel anything like, say, a Toa.

Anyway... if Bionicle was brought back, I would not want it to be a slightly retooled Hero Factory, like the Ultrabuilds, under a new name. Then it would only be CALLED Bionicle while actually being nothing like it.

However, I don't want to give up the bones system, either. These are really strong pieces that aren't as prone to breaking as Bionicle bones, and they come in a lot more sizes an' whatnot.

I'd mainly like to see new armor pieces that have more detail on them, and can be fitted on by other means than just a ball joint (pins, axles an' whatnot) or a "middle" piece to merge the two... or, just make bones that have no balls on the middle and have holes instead, like in the good ol' days. Those wouldn't REPLACE the current bone pieces... they'd just make for more possibilities.

I'd also like to see a torso piece without a neck ball.

I'd like to see something like brain attack heads used that would have a Toa-esque face on one side and a Glatorian-esque face on the other, so they could just as easily wear a Kanohi as a helmet.

I'd like to see more detail and more personality in the armor.

And overall, I'd like to see more experimental builds along the lines of Cragger and Frost Beast.

Edited by NickonAquaMagna

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

It's hard to say what would be best for a BIONICLE revival, to be honest. I'd definitely like to keep the building system Hero Factory established in 2011 or some further extension of that, because from my experience it is fun, intuitive, and versatile, and definitely a major step in the evolution of constraction sets.

That is not to say that it would necessarily HAVE to use all the same pieces as Hero Factory. The building system is not inherently tied to the aesthetic of the pieces, so it'd be entirely possible to design a whole new set of shell and detail elements with more BIONICLE-like textures (pistons, metal frames, etc). As long as the parts remained aesthetically consistent with each other, they would not have to rely on the same smooth, polished look that Hero Factory shells tend to have. As an artist, I loved the high-detail look that BIONICLE parts tended to have. It was a thrilling challenge to design models to be stylistically consistent when there were so many textures and details to choose between.

However, as far as building is concerned, I'd love for a BIONICLE revival to use the same sort of aesthetic that Hero Factory currently has. The smooth combination of angles and curves that defines most Hero Factory shells is a blessing as far as MOCs are concerned, since it can be visually compatible not only with Hero Factory parts but also with many basic System and Technic parts. There is no longer any NEED to become too preoccupied with stylistic consistency, since most shells and detail elements have the same smooth finish and subtle textures. Many of these basic shells are also useful for organic, non-robot models like the current Chima constraction sets, meaning that multiple constraction themes could share a parts palette (unlike, say, how BIONICLE and Knights' Kingdom II had to use entirely different building systems).

Take a look at how Tahu looks in this building system. It's a lot different from the heavily textured design of the original set, but at the same time it's no more radical a redesign than the stylized look that was seen in BIONICLE: The Game and some other media. And in fact, from a story perspective this look arguably suits BIONICLE even better than the classic look. Most BIONICLE sets could easily be mistaken for robots — after all, most had no visible organic components, and instead were covered in obviously mechanical details like pistons and hinges (and had plenty of conspicuous hollow cavities throughout the designs). Parts like these, in contrast, can much more effectively convey the impression of metal armor over organic muscles.

As for characters, that obviously depends on the story. I think a full reboot or re-imagining might be most effective, since it doesn't require fans to have any kind of background knowledge and wouldn't have to "compete" in fans' minds with what had gone before. However, it could perhaps still be carried out similarly to the games in The Legend of Zelda series, where a similar story is told each time but the stories can be put together into a larger and more dynamic whole. One of the big issues with a BIONICLE continuation, whether right where it left off or after a lengthy time skip, is that the conflict that the entire story was written around (the fight between the forces of Mata Nui and Makuta) has been resolved. It's difficult to create a brand-new conflict that can possibly measure up, and with all the effort it would demand, you might as well create a brand-new story instead of wasting that effort struggling to live up to an amazingly ambitious standard. But you could re-imagine the same conflict in some form or another by re-introducing Mata Nui as a central fixture in the franchise and devising some way for Makuta's legacy to provide your new source of conflict.

Perhaps an evil cult of Makuta worshipers might find some way to revive Makuta Teridax's consciousness and use it to create some kind of problem only Mata Nui can solve (perhaps some kind of cosmic doomsday scenario where a meteor, black hole, or something else along those lines threatens the whole of Spherus Magna). After that, a new team of Toa (who could be either "real" Toa, or gifted members of the native peoples of Spherus Magna) could rise up to find the Mask of Life that houses Mata Nui's consciousness and uncover a way for him to save the day.

With this kind of story, the central recurring story elements have all been restored. A civilization living in a paradise on the brink of disaster. Elemental heroes fighting the forces of Makuta in service of the Great Spirit Mata Nui. An immense and compelling mystery — what form will Mata Nui take when he awakens, and how will it help prevent the cosmic disaster scenario that Makuta's forces threaten to unleash? You could even give the "new" heroes the same names as classic BIONICLE heroes, in the same way that the names Zelda, Link, and Ganon recur in each installment of the Legend of Zelda franchise. This ties the new story to the old story conspicuously, but it does not require the story to either rely on knowledge of the original story. It does not undermine the importance of the original story's resolution. It does not make the new story overly predictable or force the creators to simply repeat previous story arcs. But the things that made the original story what it was would live on in some form, and would continue to shape the new story.

Eh heh... well, Anchir, most of what you've said, set-wise, is pretty much another spin on everything I've said. In terms of story, however...

I think the best approach to take would be a time skip, or a new setting... or both. Start with a fresh cast of new characters, new settings and a new culture with SOME lingering traits left over from the old days. Throw some references to older material in there for older fans, things that they'll get, without it taking away from the new material, which there's no reason they shouldn't also like. Just make a new base to start from, like in the old days, and build from there.

This is pretty much what I've done with Nova Orbis. New setting, new era, and even new Matoran. Not to self advertize but, well... yeah.

I don't think it would be a good idea to bring Teridax back because, well, his story is done. He got what he wanted (for a little while, anyway), his plan succeeded, and now there's nothing left for him to do. In "The Kingdom", they made it clear that the reason he was taken down so easily at the end is because he just didn't have any drive to fight back like he would in the main canon. Without his plan, he has no sense of purpose, and so there's nothing left to him.

That's why there should be a new threat with their own way of doing things, their own drive... until they've fulfilled their role, as Makuta did.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

One of the main qualities that I miss about Bionicle as opposed to Hero Factory is that in many cases it was the build, not the parts, that defined the look. In both lines, I really haven't enjoyed the armor-covered-skeleton standard (which is why I tended to stay away from small/canister sets). If we were to see Bionicle again, I would hope to see a higher part count and a more Technic-heavy, less new-armor-dependent style.

As far as WHAT, I'd definitely like to see some new things - maybe some characters we still don't have a canon appearance for - but it'd also be nice to come back with a new version of an old character. I wouldn't be opposed to a new edition of the original Toa team, and I'd LOVE to see revamps of some of the villains, like Teridax or Roodaka.

signature.png

signature.png

Replying to my own topic, I would like to see a sort of mixture of new and old parts, depending on the character. For example, someone spiky like Ehlek would look like rubbish using the new HF plating, but a more organic, streamlined character such as the golden fusion being, would be suited to these pieces. Characters I'd like to see would be all of the remaining barraki, now that their mutations have worm off, I'd like to see what they originally would have looked like.

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Take a look at how Tahu looks in this building system.

To each their own, but jeeze! That looks hideous to me! It just looks so... cartoony and childish, almost. Part of what drew me into BIONICLE was just how cool the older ones looked, and this just doesn't click with me. I love the amount of detail on the old parts, and how not rounded out they looked.

If BIONICLE did return, I'd want something closer to the old style, specifically the more 2001-2004 style, with the gear functions and more complex builds (but leave clones out, please!) Indifferent to the darker color palette or the lighter one, but I kinda want brown to come back.

• Upvote 1

To each their own, but jeeze! That looks hideous to me! It just looks so... cartoony and childish, almost. Part of what drew me into BIONICLE was just how cool the older ones looked, and this just doesn't click with me. I love the amount of detail on the old parts, and how not rounded out they looked.

If BIONICLE did return, I'd want something closer to the old style, specifically the more 2001-2004 style, with the gear functions and more complex builds (but leave clones out, please!) Indifferent to the darker color palette or the lighter one, but I kinda want brown to come back.

Took the words right out of my mouth. However, I do agree that the Hero Factory building system could have it's advantages - perhaps you could integrate the gear functions, textured pieces, and complex builds into/on an upgraded Hero Factory skeleton. And I do want to see Mata-colored pieces make their return. And no more yellow "stone" element characters.

Edited by Wazdakka
  • Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

So by "the older ones" do you mean just 2001? Because the Bohrok and Toa Nuva were perhaps the most "rounded out" sets in the entire theme. If anything this model's armor is more angular than the armor of the Toa Nuva.

I know this model has a very different texture than most BIONICLE sets (solid armor plates rather than a framework-like outer texture), but I don't see how its slight roundedness makes it worse than the pencil-thin legs, arms, and waists of the Toa Mata. I don't think the LEGO Group's shift away from that emaciated look as early as 2002 was any accident.

Something new, please! Something that's different from Inika and HF's Ordeal of Fire line! Like many people said here, the pieces need to "feel" like BIONICLE. Make a new concept, but stay away from the old.

Edited by The Taker

mindeth the cobwebs

So by "the older ones" do you mean just 2001? Because the Bohrok and Toa Nuva were perhaps the most "rounded out" sets in the entire theme. If anything this model's armor is more angular than the armor of the Toa Nuva.

I know this model has a very different texture than most BIONICLE sets (solid armor plates rather than a framework-like outer texture), but I don't see how its slight roundedness makes it worse than the pencil-thin legs, arms, and waists of the Toa Mata. I don't think the LEGO Group's shift away from that emaciated look as early as 2002 was any accident.

I feel that the 2001-2003 sets had a very distinct look (other than the color difference) that actually added a lot to the mystery atmosphere we had in those years. And while the Bohrok and Nuva may have been more rounded, they were still heavily detailed. They had textures on their armor and the like, which added a quality to them that almost made it seem like they had all been in many battles. I dunno, opinion I guess? I'm sure plenty of people love this look too, it just ain't for me.

• 1 month later...

Most true bionicle statement I have ever heard. I loved the style of the older bionicles, but they went downhill after Hordika IMHO. 85% of my collection is 2001-2005.

EDIT: Toa Nuva is the exeption, thanks aanchir. Shoulder pads= ewwww Masks=double ewwww

Edited by Tohunga_Hukii

Tu2d6W7.jpg

BZRPG Character profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9733&p=645870

Tohngu Krakulhi

Most true bionicle statement I have ever heard. I loved the style of the older bionicles, but they went downhill after Hordika IMHO. 85% of my collection is 2001-2005.

EDIT: Toa Nuva is the exeption, thanks aanchir. Shoulder pads= ewwww Masks=double ewwww

I actually loved the Nuva. They looked almost too advanced, but that was kinda the point of them :P