Mixels Discussion

Tahkuta

I've seen a lot of flaming going on surrounding the Mixels line that is coming out soon. Flaming and hate in general. What are your guys' opinions? I think they're going to be awesome, and even as someone who is 18 I am super excited for these little guys.

• Upvote 3

Song Of The Month: From Scythe to Sceptre - Be'Lakor

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg
Hau and Kakama collected!
I accept PBZP Requests. Just PM Me the letter you want, and the details of what you'd like to see in the MOC.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y X Z
Red= Taken and in Progress, Blue = Open, Black = Finished

I've seen a lot of flaming going on surrounding the Mixels line that is coming out soon. Flaming and hate in general. What are your guys' opinions? I think they're going to be awesome, and even as someone who is 18 I am super excited for these little guys.

I'm super-hyped about the Mixels. Their googly eyes and silly proportions remind me of wacky Jim Henson creatures like the ones in Fraggle Rock. As far as pieces are concerned, they offer versatile googly eyes, new ball joints, and lots of fantastic small building elements. And the story seems to promote fantastic, LEGO-appropriate values like creative play. Fantastic price point too, which makes them incredibly easy to collect.

I might not end up getting the Mixels, though, because I know my younger brother has expressed a desire to get all of them, and I'm currently incredibly excited for the Legend Beasts from LEGO Legends of Chima which offer a lot of the same sort of creative building potential, plus amazing naturalistic designs like I tend to love. So I might let him collect the Mixels and focus my own attention on the Legend Beasts, at least until I see some Mixels with parts I consider must-haves.

I'm super-hyped about the Mixels. Their googly eyes and silly proportions remind me of wacky Jim Henson creatures like the ones in Fraggle Rock. As far as pieces are concerned, they offer versatile googly eyes, new ball joints, and lots of fantastic small building elements. And the story seems to promote fantastic, LEGO-appropriate values like creative play. Fantastic price point too, which makes them incredibly easy to collect.

I might not end up getting the Mixels, though, because I know my younger brother has expressed a desire to get all of them, and I'm currently incredibly excited for the Legend Beasts from LEGO Legends of Chima which offer a lot of the same sort of creative building potential, plus amazing naturalistic designs like I tend to love. So I might let him collect the Mixels and focus my own attention on the Legend Beasts, at least until I see some Mixels with parts I consider must-haves.

I'm definitely going to try to get them all. Preliminary Europe pricing is 3.99 EUR, so I think that'll equal out to 7.49 CAD in the end for my country, and I live near a LEGO Store which means I can easily collect them all! I'm really into them for the unique parts that they come with (especially the bright yellow hedge piece) and their goofiness will be cool too. I like the way the Legend Beasts look, but I've not a Chima collection. (Might have to pick up that gorilla though...)

I'll only get them for parts, other then that, I don't seem to want they highly. They seem to be a cartoon version of the Make and Create's Xpod theme.

I loved the X-Pods when I was a kid; maybe that's why I'm so excited for them.

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg
I accept PBZP Requests. Just PM Me the letter you want, and the details of what you'd like to see in the MOC.

I am unreasonably excited for the build style of the Mixels, and what this will do for the future of mech/hardsuit MOCing.

I am reasonably disinterested in the Cartoon Network tie-in.

Yeah, the CN thing seems hokey, but I totally agree on the mech MOCing. Those sockets are awesome.

I'm fairly excited for these--the sets themselves seem amusing, and the pieces are fantastic.

And if their price is as low here in the USA as it is in Europe, I'll probably wind up getting at least a few.

I'm hoping for a price point equal to the X-Pods. X-Pods were 3.49USD in 2004 and adjusting that for modern inflation works out to 4.30USD. Hopefully we'll see a 4.99USD/CAD price point.

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg

I'm pretty hyped about the eyeball pieces, but I really hope the small ball joints are compatable with something else e.g. fitting into a tube, or onto those funny rubber band holders.

The yellow/electricity ones look delightful for flashy, snazzy builds, and all their parts are perfect for consice/cute creations. I just hope they keep this theme simple, instead of going in too many directions like Xpods did.

I'm pretty hyped about the eyeball pieces, but I really hope the small ball joints are compatable with something else e.g. fitting into a tube, or onto those funny rubber band holders.

The yellow/electricity ones look delightful for flashy, snazzy builds, and all their parts are perfect for consice/cute creations. I just hope they keep this theme simple, instead of going in too many directions like Xpods did.

The small ball joints are the same size and shape of the traditional Lego towball connection. (used as such in Lego City, used for steering functions and the like in Lego Technic, and often used to attach rubber bands in themes like Bionicle). The ball cup is the part with the increased friction, so it's easy to use the older towball parts with it to create a figure, and conversely the new elements like the ball itself can be used with older ball cups for a looser connection.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The Mixels site is live! It has information and pictures of the Nixels (sadly, no info on availability), an explanation of what Mix, Max, and Murp mean, and building instructions for all the series 1 Mixels plus several Mixes, Maxes, and Murps. In the back of each set's instruction booklet is a chart with finalized pictures (albeit small ones) of all 27 Mixels!
  • Upvote 1

The Mixels site is live! It has information and pictures of the Nixels (sadly, no info on availability), an explanation of what Mix, Max, and Murp mean, and building instructions for all the series 1 Mixels plus several Mixes, Maxes, and Murps. In the back of each set's instruction booklet is a chart with finalized pictures (albeit small ones) of all 27 Mixels!

Judging from the building instructions, it seems like each Mixel comes with a Nixel.

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Judging from the building instructions, it seems like each Mixel comes with a Nixel.

Actually, according to the building instructions, there's one Mixel from each tribe that includes a Nixel. Specifically, 41501 Vulk, 41503 Krader, and 41506 Teslo all include Nixels, but the others do not.

Also check out the flash site http://www.mixels.com/!

• Upvote 1

I like Mixels. I'll probably buy them all and review them on Brickipedia as soon as I get my hands on them.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a little old, but I found this in the Chat with Greg topic over at the LEGO Message Boards,

I am working on a short story for Mixels.

Link

Anyone else interested in this?

It's not a huge surprise (Greg is one of the LEGO Group's best on-staff writers), but it's interesting regardless. I wonder if it's for a book, the LEGO Club magazine, or the LEGO Club website. Or something else entirely?

So I was at Target purely by chance today without any plans to buy anything, but while walking through the Lego aisle some colorful bags caught my attention! The fact that Mixels were coming out this month completely slipped my mind. Anyway, my plan is to get one Mixel from every tribe, so I got Flain and Zaptor today. I have to say, they're a lot more fun to play around with than I expected. The proportions are just perfect for cartoony poses and such, and the new ball joints are just much better than I would have thought. Pretty awesome little sets. I'm going to try to get Shuff soon, because that guy is just way too derpy to ignore.

AXKP5KC.png

I've said elsewhere that I really like this line, though so far the only ones I'm planning on buying are Krader because he's adorable and maybe Vulk to get another Nixel and some pieces.

(I'm glad Krader is the one to include the Nixel for the rock group. :3)

After that I'm going to wait for the other waves. I like a lot of them more than the current ones.

Also I'm still hoping that there ends up being a socket piece with an axle connector, because that would seriously be so amazing.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I got my LEGO catalog about a week or so ago and seeing the first wave of Mixels there, really made me want to buy some of these.

And by some of these, I mean I'm thinking of buying almost all of them. Flain, Shuff, and Teslo are highest on my to get list.

Now if only LEGO.com wasn't out of stock.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

So I was back at Target today, and much like I feared, the Mixels box was all but cleared of sets. There was only one guy left, but thankfully, that one was Shuff! So I got him. He's a lot better than I expected, to be honest. I really didn't expect him to be so complete, but his back is almost a mirror image of his front, and it looks awesome. He's really selling the rock look, and it's great. And, of course, his incredible derpyness, which was the entire reason i had to buy him, is just as great as I hoped. One thing does bother me, and that is that I would have preferred to have his teeth come out from under his chest/jaw piece rather than his head, as it would have looked nicer (and closer to his cartoon design). It's a simple change to make, but the points of the teeth don't quite let the head connect properly to the body, which is unfortunate.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

I can't find any Mixels in any of the nearby stores (meaning Target, TRU, and Walmart), so I guess I'm left waiting for my S@H order to come in.

No boxes or anything.

(I ordered Krader and Vulk.)

e: They arrived today.

I love Krader.

I shouldn't have built Vulk because I bought him for the pieces but now I'm starting to like him. :(

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

All of the Mixels look awesome to me- but I am the most hyped about the orange undersea Mixels! All of the Mixels have good parts- they're great for MOCing and the unique way they are used add personality to the set. I am seeing many pieces used in ways I have never seen in a Lego set. Simply put, I can't wait for the rest to come out. (And at $4.99 USD and roughly $5.99 in Canada, they're pretty darn affordable!)

Edited by RahkshiToa88

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I'll admit, I thought these things were pretty stupid, but after some time, I thought these guys were pretty charming. I just wish I had the dignity to buy them...

I thought as you once did, but I also had a change of heart towards these little guys. I just wish I had the funds and/or opportunity to buy them (all).

Sigh.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

I'll admit, I thought these things were pretty stupid, but after some time, I thought these guys were pretty charming. I just wish I had the dignity to buy them...

I thought as you once did, but I also had a change of heart towards these little guys. I just wish I had the funds and/or opportunity to buy them (all).

Sigh.

I have a couple places where I could buy these (some of them) but there are just some other things that I want even more than these Mixels. Besides, my mature side is making me feel conflicted about wanting to buy at least one Mixel. :(

mindeth the cobwebs

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten almost all the new mixel, the only one I haven't gotten is Volectro and I have gotten 2 Zorch. My favorite out of them Flain and Shuff, I like Shuff mostly because of that derp face and I like Flain because the building is really good and it the only character I think I am going to like in that TV Show. Vulk and Teslo are good and I do like it but I really don't like the other 3.

Also I don't think I am going to like that TV series that is going to be on Cartoon Network.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked them out for the first time and all I can think is, wow, look at all those parts :D Are those teeny tiny ball and socket joints?? I'm definitely gonna get a bunch and tear them apart (I'll build 'em, and then tear them apart) :P

Are the Electroids yellow, or keetorange? Or are they another color?

Edited by Pomegranate

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I just checked them out for the first time and all I can think is, wow, look at all those parts :D Are those teeny tiny ball and socket joints?? I'm definitely gonna get a bunch and tear them apart (I'll build 'em, and then tear them apart) :P

They're yellow AND keetorange. Parts like the cheese wedges on all three of them and the bush that forms Volectro's "hair" are keetorange (Flame Yellowish Orange).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

They're yellow AND keetorange. Parts like the cheese wedges on all three of them and the bush that forms Volectro's "hair" are keetorange (Flame Yellowish Orange).

That is spectacular, I want like a million of 'em ^^ Half a million to be adorable and half a million to build with :P

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

If anyone's interested, we have big, finalized pics of all the Series 2 Mixels. You can see them all on Brickset. The tribes are called the Frosticons (Blue), Fang Gang (Brown), and Flexers (Orange).

There are lots of cool designs, but looking at them now, I can't help but wonder if the Flexers might have been cooler if they used both Bright Orange and Dark Orange. Most of the tribes use two shades of their primary color: the Infernites use Bright Red and Dark Red, the Cragsters use Dark Stone Grey and Black, the Electroids use Bright Yellow and Flame Yellowish Orange, the Frosticons use Medium Azur and Bright Blue, and the Fang Gang uses Reddish Brown and Dark Brown. But the Flexers just use Bright Orange and Black. It doesn't look bad, but Dark Orange would have been interesting since that's not a widely-used color.

The Wiztastics in Series 3 have the same issue. They use Medium Lilac and Black, with some Transparent Blue here and there. I can't help but think they would be even cooler if they used Medium Lavender and Medium Lilac, the same way that the Glorp Corp uses Bright Yellowish Green and Dark Green or the Spikels use Brick Yellow and Sand Yellow. I know that to a certain extent the designers are constrained by which parts are being used in other themes, but the color schemes for the Flexers and Wiztastics feel a little bit less exciting than the more varied ones from the other tribes.

While we're on the subject of colors, if Mixels continues for more series next year, do you think they'll do new members from the same tribes, or new tribes altogether? New tribes would be more exciting for me in terms of variety, but it's hard to think what well-coordinated color schemes there might be to set them apart from the existing tribes. Here are some tribe ideas I had:

• Bright Purple (Dark Pink) and Bright Reddish Violet (Magenta)
  • White and Medium Stone Grey
  • Bright Green and Earth Green
  • Medium Blue and Earth Blue
  • Nougat and Dark Orange
...But that's about all I can think of without reusing colors from an existing tribe or overcrowding one part of the color spectrum. And I have no idea what themes you might assign to tribes with those colors — most of the iconic "elemental" themes already belong to one tribe or another, but there's plenty of room for more abstract themes/motifs.
  • Upvote 2

I think it'd be pretty cool if they had series of primarily translucent colors. Considering how much Lego has been using trans colors lately, that might even be realistic. It would certainly be an interesting way to go about it, and it would be great for parts. I would also love it if they did some non-standard metallic colors, but that seems a lot less likely.

Speaking of colors, though, the way they were distributed in the first three series kinda bothers me. Series two seems to me to be the perfect way to assemble them-one primary color, one secondary color, and one color separate from that. However, series one has 2 primary colors and as a result series 3 has 2 secondary ones. I think if the green and yellow tribes has been switched it would have at least looked better. Why I even think about this and why this even bothers me is beyond me, but there it is. It does.

AXKP5KC.png

I have just did something with the eyes of one of my Mixel and some of my friends on skype did the same thing.

So to let all of you guys know that there is a new Virus going on.
14026318481_dd815d133e_n.jpg

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I have just did something with the eyes of one of my Mixel and some of my friends on skype did the same thing.

So to let all of you guys know that there is a new Virus going on.

14026318481_dd815d133e_n.jpg

That's amazing! If I still had Koboldon together I'd love to try the same thing with him. A person in a Facebook group I'm in did the same thing with a Fikou spider!

I think the designers made a very smart decision when deciding to offset the pupil of the ball-joint eyes instead of placing them in the center of the ball. It makes creations using those eyes much more expressive, since you can rotate them every which way and attach them either to the front of a face or to the sides.