New Constraction Set in 2015?

Waaja

Hi, I'm sure this may be old news to many people already, but I don't see a topic started about this yet, so I might as well start it. Wait, is this legal? (Sorry if it isn't!)

So recently, just2good posted on another Lego forum (I am not allowed to say which one, right?) about Asger Johansen, a concept designer for Lego, stating that he is working on a new contraction set line for 2015. just2good then went on to suggest about the probable end of HF. And then people when on to speculate about the return of Bionicle. And stuff.

Again, I know quite a lot of people already know this as I did see some familiar names responding to the thread over there. I'd like to just bring the news to people who don't, like me for example (I just got to know this today, lol), and hear your opinions :D

EDIT: In response to Master of all Kopekes (reply #10!) (and in assumption that this is safe :E), here is the link to the original post:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89322

Now don't kill me, I'm just delivering news. :E

Edited by TheTracer
  • Upvote 2
Please do visit:

MNSbanner.jpg

Font: Urban Decay by zofos

I could see them creating a new line inspired by the recent Hero Factory sets; regular Minifigs in constraction mechs battling giant monsters and such.

Hero Factory is also five years old now; I could definitely see 2014 or 2015 being the final year.

Edited by Freelancer Tex
  • Upvote 2

I just hope it has more thought put into it. Basically, I want the development to be in between Hero Factory and BIONICLE in terms of universe. Nothing too simple, but not too complicated either. To be honest, I'd be fairly surprised if Hero Factory lives to see 2015. While I like shoveling up some money to buy every Stormer set every year, there's gotta be an end to this.

mindeth the cobwebs

I could see them creating a new line inspired by the recent Hero Factory sets; regular Minifigs in constraction mechs battling giant monsters and such.

Hero Factory is also five years old now; I could definitely see 2014 or 2015 being the final year.

Yep, agreed. There's not really any more evidence now for the "HF is ending next year" rumors than there's ever been, but at the same time, it's been around for long enough now (around half of BIONICLE's overall lifespan, and considerably longer than most non-evergreen themes) that it could be coming up on its final year any time.

With that said, I have no idea whether the new 2015 theme will be replacing Hero Factory, or whether it and Hero Factory are going to coexist. And I certainly don't know what TYPE of theme to expect. Could be another robot action figure theme like BIONICLE and Hero Factory, or it could be something with more organic sorts of characters like Galidor, Knights' Kingdom, Super Heroes, or Legends of Chima. It could even be a new mecha theme like you suggest, though a part of me thinks that if the LEGO Group has such high hopes for mecha-based constraction sets they'd have more to gain from maintaining that gimmick within the Hero Factory theme than from creating a brand-new theme based on the same principle.

Hopefully the new constraction theme will be based on the same building system as Hero Factory, which has greatly expanded the versatility and creative potential of constraction building for builders of all calibers. My biggest hope for the new theme, though, is that it will continue to expand the influence of constraction themes and their acceptance by the general LEGO community. This year's HF sets seem to be doing a lot in that regard, and moving further in that direction can only be a good thing in my book.

2015 is a long time. I think I will judge a new line when it gets here. (More story please? :P [/outdated complaint])

Not sure why people think another constraction line will be the end of hero factory?

Just because the CCBS isn't limited to HF doesn't mean much here, because HF is not only associated with CCBS, it's associated with action figures in general. A new action figure line would compete with HF's sales, which isn't that great.

Also, HF has been determined to be "nothing special" in terms of sales. Maybe they want to improve that batting average with a new line. The HF chapter books were canceled...the evidence is starting to add up that HF's days are numbered, and now this.

On the other hand, the new mech-style stuff and the studio switch on the episode shows that Lego wants to change HF. Either way, I'm not going to be very surprised. I would like to know whether Von Nebula engineered the Breakout/was downloading HF blueprints/was responsible for the Brain Attack, but I'm not holding my breath. (Also the villain factory thing might have been cool, but whatever.) Once shafted, twice suspicious.

Not sure why people think another constraction line will be the end of hero factory?

Let's be fair though. Both of the sets you linked to were offshoots of existing themes, rather than entirely new theme concepts. And the latter is what Asger Johansen would be involved in.

It still doesn't mean that whatever this new theme is will be replacing Hero Factory, but it does suggest that it's probably a significantly bigger deal than the Ultrabuild sets were.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Work on one constraction line does not mean that another will end ... was HF's end directly intimated by Asger Johansen, or was that just speculation on the part of just2good?

Honestly I think HF has had a pretty good run, but I'm curious to see something new.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Seriously? It's five years old? Boy, does the time fly.

Wait, no, that can't be, because Bionicle ended in 2010, right?

In either case, I'm very surprised that HF has straggled on that long.

Let's be fair though. Both of the sets you linked to were offshoots of existing themes, rather than entirely new theme concepts. And the latter is what Asger Johansen would be involved in.

And I don't even think the Chima constraction shootoff thing is still going, is it?

So recently, just2good posted on another Lego forum (I am not allowed to say which one, right?) about Asger Johansen, a concept designer for Lego, stating that he is working on a new contraction set line for 2015.

You should be able to mention it now that the advertisement policy has changed. Could you possibly give a link? I'm curious to see the original post.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Some people are desperate enough to take the slightest information as a sign that Hero Factory will end and LEGO will return to the srs bsns action figure lines.

Personally I'm all in for more Hero Factory, I feel this new constraction theme will be similar to Exo-Force, but it's still speculaiton.

Do not trust corrupted memories.

I'd say that the idea of a new constraction line that would probably contend with HF in terms of sales combined with the considerable downsizing of HF media this year makes HF ending a distinct possibility, but not a certainty. I'd certainly like to see the end of the twisted morals and sloppy writing of HF, but that's just me.

As for the new theme, all I can say is I hope it's interesting. I hope it uses the new system in ways HF only brushed on (and in some ways *cough*Dragon Bolt*cough* fell flat on their face with) and has a fulfilling story.

I'd really rather Bionicle not come back yet. I think its best chance of success is getting off to a somewhat fresh start, and it can't start very freshly only 4-5 years out from the original's end.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I don't care if HF ends or not because of a new constraction line, just so long as LEGO keeps making marvelous new parts for me to mess with; I've loved HF ever since 2.0's socket overhaul, never for its lackluster story.

If LEGO's next constraction experiment comes with some snazzy new durable parts, bring it on!

My only reservation is that I hope they keep in the theme of mecha, androids, and giant robots. I have never much liked the appearance of constraction sets that LEGO deliberately tries to make appear organic, like the Chima and, to a smaller extent, the HF 3.0 figures. The sets often come with heavily themed, one-off parts that are difficult to use. Who knows, perhaps if LEGO completely devoted themselves to a more organic-looking constraction line, they could engineer these problems out after a few waves, but I'm still hopeful that they stick with a mechanical appearance.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

And I don't even think the Chima constraction shootoff thing is still going, is it?

Yes, actually, it is, according to reports from London Toy Fair. There will be at least seven constraction sets next year, which is actually more than there were this year, and two of those are larger and more expensive than the ones this year.

We're ready to believe that Hero Factory is ending soon because it has been five years come this August since it began, and most non-licensed lines don't last that long. I can't see Hero Factory lasting as long as Bionicle did, and five years is enough.

I

I never like to speculate on a theme's longevity even when it's been wildly successful like Ninjago was. Sometimes success can be dragged out for a long time, as in BIONICLE's case, whereas sometimes a theme's popularity drops steeply in the years following its release. Honestly, I don't know what to think about Hero Factory. I enjoy it plenty, but it doesn't need to continue as long as BIONICLE did from a storytelling perspective, since each year's story tends to be self-contained and it is not known to have any long-term story ambitions.

Even its one big hint at an ongoing story arc, the theft of the Hero Factory plans, seems to have just been sowing the seeds for possible future stories. It wasn't a conflict like Mata Nui being put to sleep or in danger of dying or expelled from his body that needed to be corrected to restore the universe to a harmonious state. Rather, until/unless a villainous force DOES create a factory like the one in Makuhero City, life can be expected to continue as usual for the inhabitants of the Hero Factory universe, with only occasional crises that are swiftly resolved.

So in that sense, Hero Factory could come to a close at pretty much any time. But that argument works both ways. Unless its sales dwindle below a point that the LEGO Group considers acceptable, it doesn't need to end any more than it needs to continue. BIONICLE's sales peaked in 2002, but its decline was steady enough to keep it around for eight more years. So it's possible that successful constraction themes simply don't exhaust their sales potential as quickly as System themes like Knights' Kingdom or Exo-Force.

The first wave of Hero Factory was in summer 2010, and we're now at the start of 2014, so the line is only just approaching four years.

The first wave of Hero Factory was in summer 2010, and we're now at the start of 2014, so the line is only just approaching four years.

Yeah, technically if it ends after this summer's wave it'll only have been around for four and a half years. But that's still half of Bionicle's lifespan (it's commonly regarded as a ten-year theme, but it actually was only around for nine full years, the first sets being released in the summer of 2001 and the last ones in spring of 2010).

Well, it'll be four-and-a-half years by the end of this year, since there are seven sets confirmed for the summer. That means that it will have had exactly half the American lifespan of BIONICLE, which had nine years of sets beginning in summer 2000. BIONICLE ran a half a year longer in Europe, since on that side of the pond the Toa Mata, Turaga, and Kanohi packs were launched in January, with the Rahi coming later in September.

But even if Hero Factory is being replaced in 2015, it's not unlikely that it might get at least one more wave in 2015, kind of like how BIONICLE got six new sets in 2010 (Hero Factory's launch year), Power Miners got four new sets in 2010 (Atlantis's launch year), and Atlantis got four new sets in 2011 (Ninjago's launch year). So it's very likely that Hero Factory will be able to at least hit the five-year mark.

• Upvote 1

So that would mean, (weird temporal stuff ahead) if Bionicle and Hero Factory started at the same time, we would be in Invasion from Below with Hero Factory, and the Toa Hordika arc in Bionicle.

Just showing how the story complexity and rate compare.

• Upvote 1

So that would mean, (weird temporal stuff ahead) if Bionicle and Hero Factory started at the same time, we would be in Invasion from Below with Hero Factory, and the Toa Hordika arc in Bionicle.

In terms of character development over that time, it's a mixed bag. Bionicle switched up its protagonists in 2004, while Hero Factory has stuck with the same team, although it's added to it. I'd say Alpha 1 Team has had a comparable level of character development to the Toa Mata as of 2003, who, like many Hero Factory characters, were largely one-note characters who were extremely bad at retaining more than slight character development. But the Toa Metru were much more dynamic characters, who experienced a much more dramatic evolution over the course of their shorter time in the spotlight. By the beginning of 2005 they'd had more character development than the Toa Mata, and by the end they had completed the transition from childlike Matoran to wise, confident elder figures, along the way experiencing periods of inexperience and learning (as Toa Metru) as well as doubt and rebelliousness (as Toa Hordika).

• Upvote 1

In terms of character development over that time, it's a mixed bag. Bionicle switched up its protagonists in 2004, while Hero Factory has stuck with the same team, although it's added to it.

They didn't exactly switch it up, as 2004-5 was, technically speaking, giving backstory to the Turaga (and Makuta, in a way).

In terms of character development over that time, it's a mixed bag. Bionicle switched up its protagonists in 2004, while Hero Factory has stuck with the same team, although it's added to it.

They didn't exactly switch it up, as 2004-5 was, technically speaking, giving backstory to the Turaga (and Makuta, in a way).

Hence why I said protagonists. The Turaga were existing characters, but before 2004 they were only secondary characters at best. In 2004 and 2005 they took center stage, and the previous protagonists (the Toa Mata) were only present in the frame story of the Turaga recapping their adventures, if at all.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Hence why I said protagonists. The Turaga were existing characters, but before 2004 they were only secondary characters at best. In 2004 and 2005 they took center stage, and the previous protagonists (the Toa Mata) were only present in the frame story of the Turaga recapping their adventures, if at all.

Okay, I see what you mean. Still, we don't get that quality or depth of backstory for characters (whether protagonist, antagonist, or secondary) in HF.

Okay, I see what you mean. Still, we don't get that quality or depth of backstory for characters (whether protagonist, antagonist, or secondary) in HF.

Arguably, Stormer and Von Ness/Von Nebula have gotten a similar level of backstory (in the book Secret Mission #2). But honestly the Toa Metru/Turaga had the most complete character arc in all of Bionicle, in that it had a beginning, middle, and end. Neither the Toa Mata/Nuva nor the Toa Inika/Metru got quite as much development, which I suppose is the best part of a flashback arc like 2004-5; unlike with other character arcs, we knew that the Toa Metru's arc had a clear end in sight from the very beginning.

Arguably, Stormer and Von Ness/Von Nebula have gotten a similar level of backstory (in the book Secret Mission #2). But honestly the Toa Metru/Turaga had the most complete character arc in all of Bionicle, in that it had a beginning, middle, and end. Neither the Toa Mata/Nuva nor the Toa Inika/Metru got quite as much development, which I suppose is the best part of a flashback arc like 2004-5; unlike with other character arcs, we knew that the Toa Metru's arc had a clear end in sight from the very beginning.

Yeah. I would have to say that we did get a fairly complete story for the Mata/Nuva, since they were arguably the most important Toa in the entire story, being the ones who directly caused the GSR's awakening.

• Upvote 1

Hmm... If this idea about a new constraction line could mean the end of Hero Factory in 2014 or 2015, then what about Hero Factory's story and rumored live-action movie?:(

Anyway, I hope that this new constraction line will be as great, cool, epic, and awesome as Bionicle and/or Hero Factory. Also hopefully, it would not include minifigures, like Hero Factory Hero and Kaiju jumper creature minifigures, because I think that there could be some possible chance that you may accidentally lose at least a minifigure. It wouldn't make you happy, now would it?:(

Also anyway, is this idea fan-made or is it real? Just feeling curious. Hmm...

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Hmm... If this idea about a new constraction line could mean the end of Hero Factory in 2014 or 2015, then what about Hero Factory's story and rumored live-action movie? :(

Anyway, I hope that this new constraction line will be as great, cool, epic, and awesome as Bionicle and/or Hero Factory. Also hopefully, it would not include minifigures, like Hero Factory Hero and Kaiju jumper creature minifigures, because I think that there could be some possible chance that you may accidentally lose at least a minifigure. It wouldn't make you happy, now would it? :(

Also anyway, is this idea fan-made or is it real? Just feeling curious. Hmm...

The rumored movie has never had a whole lot of evidence supporting it. The only news we ever got on it was that Universal was in talks with TLG to develop one, but there was never any news confirming that an agreement of any kind was reached.

And no, this idea is not fan-made. Asger Johansen has worked on many of the LEGO Group's cases at Advance, and this is not the first time he's dropped hints about a future theme that he's helping to provide creative direction for.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this is true, if Bionicle comes back-or even if HF is replaced I'd be delighted!

I just hope it has more thought put into it. Basically, I want the development to be in between Hero Factory and BIONICLE in terms of universe. Nothing too simple, but not too complicated either.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I wish... :P

• Upvote 1

Why is everyone assuming this new theme will be some really epic thing. It could easily just be something similar to the Ben 10(Yes I brought that eye-sore up) Lego line that only lasted like 6 months. Really all we have is speculation, but let's keep it realistic people.

• Upvote 1

Toa Wolf

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back, it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Learn this phrase. Love it. Hold it dear. Bring it back. If you know what this means, and/or agree with me, copy this into your sig. _________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why is everyone assuming this new theme will be some really epic thing. It could easily just be something similar to the Ben 10(Yes I brought that eye-sore up) Lego line that only lasted like 6 months. Really all we have is speculation, but let's keep it realistic people.

or i have a better idea

we dream

of better days to come

• Upvote 3

or i have a better idea

we dream

of better days to come

I Lol'ed at your comment, especially how you spaced it XD. But from the looks of it, HF doesn't look like its going to last much longer...

• Upvote 2
Please do visit:

MNSbanner.jpg

Font: Urban Decay by zofos

Why was Ben 10 an eyesore? It was definitely lackluster as far as complexity was concerned, but the sets were still nice-looking and the parts did a great job paving a way for the smoother, less expressly robotic part designs the new Hero Factory building system introduced in 2011.

But you do make a good point — there's no guarantee this will be a huge, story-intensive theme. Advance has been involved in some really huge new theme launches, but they have also been involved in smaller things like the most recent Castle theme (only seven sets, focusing on a very traditional LEGO Castle experience, and light on story).

I'm not expecting a licensed theme like Ben 10, but even a non-licensed theme could be similar in scope.

I Lol'ed at your comment, especially how you spaced it XD. But from the looks of it, HF doesn't look like its going to last much longer...

People have been saying that for years. While Hero Factory could end at any time (and has been around long enough to make good on much of its creative potential), I don't think there's a whole lot more evidence now than there's ever been that its end is just over the horizon.

Even if it is Bionicle, I don't know if the new line will be that great. I've seen what Lego has done with HF in terms of design, and I was not really impressed. The only HF sets I liked were from the Rise of the Rookies line. In my opinion the sets just got worse from there. If Bionicle does come back... Will it be as good as the Bionicle we knew and loved? Because if they use the same sorts of designs as HF, I won't be getting any new sets. The HF sets sucked and they were not the best sets to use for MOC action figs. Also, will the returned bionicle storyline be geared at 10-18 year olds like it used to be, or will it be like HF and be geared for 5-10 year olds. If lego treats a returned bionicle theme like they treated HF, I can tell you right now I will not be getting any of the new sets. To be honest, I'm just sick of legos lack of good themes and storylines that are geared for the older fanbase. Most of the new sets and themes lately have been designed for 5-10 year olds.

• Upvote 1

POWER TO THE FANS

LETS TAKE BACK BZP FROM THE HERO FACTORY FANBOYS

STOP THIS POINTLESS CENSORSHIP AND SHEATHE THE BAN HAMMERS

BRING BACK THE FRIENDLY AND INFORMATIVE BZP

SUPPORT TTV AND GET ON THE HYPE TRAIN

Also, will the returned bionicle storyline be geared at 10-18 year olds like it used to be, or will it be like HF and be geared for 5-10 year olds. If lego treats a returned bionicle theme like they treated HF, I can tell you right now I will not be getting any of the new sets. To be honest, I'm just sick of legos lack of good themes and storylines that are geared for the older fanbase. Most of the new sets and themes lately have been designed for 5-10 year olds.

What you don't quite seem to get is that Lego aren't trying to please an older fanbase, because there are far fewer of them than there are children. So if Lego aim for a smaller group of older fans, they miss the greater profit that comes from the greater number of child buyers. One of the reasons (perhaps the main reason) Bionicle was so successful in its early years was that it was straightforward enough to appeal to children but had a certain level of darkness and complexity that also tapped into an older demographic. And one of the reasons it eventually ended was because it became too complex for children and new fans to get into, which damaged its profits.

I'd also like to see more Lego products for older fans, but we do have to accept that we aren't the priority audience.

Also:

• BIONICLE wasn't aimed at ten– to eighteen-year-olds. The smallest BIONICLE sets have always had a minimum recommended age of six or seven (Solek is recommended for ages 6–16). The largest sets, like Skopio XV-1 and Axalara T9, were recommended for ages 10–16.
  • Hero Factory isn't geared towards five– to ten-year-olds. The smallest current sets have a recommended age range of 6–12, and the largest have a recommended age range of 8–14. Witch Doctor had a recommended age range of 10–16, the same as the very largest BIONICLE sets.
  • Eighteen-year-olds were never a part of either theme's target age range; they are a periphery demographic. As Sir Kohran points out, kids are the primary audience for all but a small handful of LEGO sets, because LEGO is and has always been a toy.
  • It's hard for me to really understand the thinking of people who think 2010 was the best year for Hero Factory. Other than the $20 and higher sets (Von Nebula, Rotor, Furno Bike, and Drop Ship), the sets were pitiful in piece count and complexity compared to later waves. There have not been any Hero Factory figures as pitifully small and simplistic as the 2010 heroes — all of the 2011 heroes had at least ten pieces more than the 2010 heroes, and the piece counts and complexity of the sets have increased every year.
  • Upvote 1

Also, will the returned bionicle storyline be geared at 10-18 year olds like it used to be, or will it be like HF and be geared for 5-10 year olds. If lego treats a returned bionicle theme like they treated HF, I can tell you right now I will not be getting any of the new sets. To be honest, I'm just sick of legos lack of good themes and storylines that are geared for the older fanbase. Most of the new sets and themes lately have been designed for 5-10 year olds.

What you don't quite seem to get is that Lego aren't trying to please an older fanbase, because there are far fewer of them than there are children. So if Lego aim for a smaller group of older fans, they miss the greater profit that comes from the greater number of child buyers. One of the reasons (perhaps the main reason) Bionicle was so successful in its early years was that it was straightforward enough to appeal to children but had a certain level of darkness and complexity that also tapped into an older demographic. And one of the reasons it eventually ended was because it became too complex for children and new fans to get into, which damaged its profits.

I'd also like to see more Lego products for older fans, but we do have to accept that we aren't the priority audience.

But that's the key, isn't it? One would hope that in the unlikely event that LEGO brought back Bionicle (I emphasize unlikely, given the context of their brief, one-second apearance in The Lego Movie) that they would find a way to undo the continuity lockout and make it appealing to newcomers and old fans, kids and adults, somehow. Unfortunately, that's a difficult juggling act at the best of times, and Bionicle is a particularly monumental case. :confused:

The world gradually fell silent, the last few shots echoing into nothingness. There was little left now but ruins, and the eight. They witnessed the whimpering death of their world, and regretfully claimed dominion over all the sorry Remnants...

But that's the key, isn't it? One would hope that in the unlikely event that LEGO brought back Bionicle (I emphasize unlikely, given the context of their brief, one-second apearance in The Lego Movie) that they would find a way to undo the continuity lockout and make it appealing to newcomers and old fans, kids and adults, somehow. Unfortunately, that's a difficult juggling act at the best of times, and Bionicle is a particularly monumental case. :confused:

Eh, it's not that hard.

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Eh, it's not that hard.

I'd have to disagree with you on that. Look at just about any sort of franchise reboot, and more often than not, the common theme seems to be of failing to achieve that balance, in one direction or the other. I'm not saying it would be impossible to pull off - just very difficult.

• Upvote 1

The world gradually fell silent, the last few shots echoing into nothingness. There was little left now but ruins, and the eight. They witnessed the whimpering death of their world, and regretfully claimed dominion over all the sorry Remnants...

Eh, it's not that hard.

I'd say that it is, considering Lego had enough difficulty both retaining old fans and generating new fans back when Bionicle was still around. And the older the original fandom gets, the harder it becomes to bridge that gap, whereas launching a new theme tailored to kids alone remains as easy as it's ever been.