Theory: Nuva Symbols and Artahka

So all this talk of Nuva symbols got me on a question: Why did Artahka teleport the Nuva symbols to Mata Nui to begin with? Ostensibly, it's a totally insane idea to put the Toa's main power source in reach of the enemies that they are battling.

I don't buy the range argument. The Nuva symbols worked just fine when the Toa Nuva were on Voya Nui and the symbols were left behind on Metru Nui. The connection between the symbols and the Toa even penetrated Karda Nui's shields! Artahka could have just left the symbols safely hidden away in a vault somewhere.

Neither do I think that Artahka underestimated the Makuta as a threat - after all, previously they had raided his fortress and stole a bunch of his stuff. He definitely wouldn't put it past Teridax to steal the source of his enemies' power, or destroy it.

Further, I also don't buy that Artahka teleported the symbols to test the Toa by having their powers stolen before they confronted the Rahkshi. How would Artahka know that Makuta Teridax was going to pull Rahkshi out of his hat, anyway? How would he know what Makuta Teridax was doing, and that the Toa that he made were unprepared to face the new threats coming their way?

And therein lies the key. He didn't.

Therefore, I theorize that Artahka teleported the symbols to Mata Nui in order to try to figure out what Teridax was doing on Mata Nui. Makuta had any number of ways that he could have destroyed the symbols, most notably the Rahkshi (one good blast from Guurahk should have cut it, right?). If Makuta wanted to destroy the Toa Nuva, he could have done so easily that way. So Artahka dangled the symbols under Makuta's mask - "Here's a way to destroy your enemies, quick and easy."

Makuta was too smart to go for it. He went after the MoL, but he never touched the symbols, leaving Artahka to theorize that Makuta might have something more in mind than just defeating the Toa of Mata Nui.

There's the theory: take it or destroy it.

Edited by fishers64

Therefore, I theorize that Artahka teleported the symbols to Karda Nui in order to try to figure out what Teridax was doing on Mata Nui.

Before I respond further... you mean Mata Nui, not Karda Nui, right?

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Therefore, I theorize that Artahka teleported the symbols to Karda Nui in order to try to figure out what Teridax was doing on Mata Nui.

Before I respond further... you mean Mata Nui, not Karda Nui, right?

Yes.

I'm going to edit, seeing as that's the main theory premise. *bangs head on desk* Why I should never post theories late at night lol.

I agree with everything...up till the conclusion. :P

It did always seem odd that Artahka would put the symbols within reach of the Toa Mata's most powerful enemy, Makuta. But I don't think he placed them there because of MAKUTA. I think he did it because he wanted the KAL to get the symbols.

Artahka knew, most likely, that the Bohrok Queens needed to be free when the Mata completed their destiny (in order for the Swarm to clean up for Mata-Nui's launch). But now the Nuva had not only locked the queens in a cage that only they (due to being the only Toa on the island) could open, but they had also received a power boost. How were the Kal going to free the Queens from a prison that could only be opened by a group of beings entirely apposed to the idea? Beings who, again, were now even more powerful after the defeat of the Swarm.

So, to help the Kal help the Nuva (whether they liked it or not), Artahka made the symbols AND the cube, a set of keys to the Borohk Queens' prison that doubled as nullifies for the Nuva's elemental power. He placed them all on the island so that the Kal would not only be free to search for the queens when the Toa lost their power, but the very things that kept the Nuva in check would be the keys to the Queens' cage.

Karzahni, maybe he thought the swarm would push the Nuva to Metru-Nui so they could begin their work instead of just sitting on the island. :P Although, I guess a big Makuta road block would have made that...difficult, without a certain ex-chronicler.

Anyway, that's my headcannon explanation for it. It's cool to see there's someone else who had the same thoughts on Artahka purposefully putting the symbols on the island.

I agree with everything...up till the conclusion. :P

It did always seem odd that Artahka would put the symbols within reach of the Toa Mata's most powerful enemy, Makuta. But I don't think he placed them there because of MAKUTA. I think he did it because he wanted the KAL to get the symbols.

Artahka knew, most likely, that the Bohrok Queens needed to be free when the Mata completed their destiny (in order for the Swarm to clean up for Mata-Nui's launch). But now the Nuva had not only locked the queens in a cage that only they (due to being the only Toa on the island) could open, but they had also received a power boost. How were the Kal going to free the Queens from a prison that could only be opened by a group of beings entirely apposed to the idea? Beings who, again, were now even more powerful after the defeat of the Swarm.

So, to help the Kal help the Nuva (whether they liked it or not), Artahka made the symbols AND the cube, a set of keys to the Borohk Queens' prison that doubled as nullifies for the Nuva's elemental power. He placed them all on the island so that the Kal would not only be free to search for the queens when the Toa lost their power, but the very things that kept the Nuva in check would be the keys to the Queens' cage.

Karzahni, maybe he thought the swarm would push the Nuva to Metru-Nui so they could begin their work instead of just sitting on the island. :P Although, I guess a big Makuta road block would have made that...difficult, without a certain ex-chronicler.

Anyway, that's my headcannon explanation for it. It's cool to see there's someone else who had the same thoughts on Artahka purposefully putting the symbols on the island.

Why would Artahka want to unleash the swarms on Mata Nui again? That's extremely poor tactical planning. Caught between the Bohrok above and the Makuta below, surely all the Mata Nui matoran would have been annihilated. That's not what Artahka had in mind, I hope!

Further, in the absence of the Nuva symbols' being available, the Kal probably would have tried to kidnap the Toa Nuva. The end result is predictable - the Kal would have been destroyed (along with possibly half of the island?). Which is exactly what happened otherwise. It's also possible that they would have tried to build an alliance with the Toa to free the Bohrok Queens, and the Toa might have convinced them to wait. Why would Artahka want to off the Bohrok-Kal? That doesn't make sense, but that's what his actions assured.

These are all interesting ideas.

Personally, though, I feel like yall're overthinking it. I think Artakha is invention-minded, not a universe-watching super-strategist. He knew that Toa Nuva would need the symbols if they came into existence, and apparently knew six were destined to (the six Toa he'd made), and once he found out (however he did, maybe some kind of sensor?) that Nuva now existed, just naturally felt that they should be given the symbols. Perhaps he didn't know they had lost their memories, for example, and they'd already been briefed on what to do in such an event, so Artakha just assumed they would take precautions to guard them. As an inventor, and maker of gifts, his thinking probably did not go much farther than "The Nuva are real now and need their symbols so I'll mail them to them."

I always suspected too that the symbols' initialization might require they be teleported to Suva that were connected mentally already to the Toa, so that the symbols could be mentally anchored to those Toa from then on. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Why would Artahka want to unleash the swarms on Mata Nui again? That's extremely poor tactical planning.

I think giving one of the most powerful beings in the universe the ability to permanently remove the power of his greatest enemies because you want to see if he'll do it is worse tactical planning than allowing a swarm of creatures (designed NOT to kill) to clean up an island.

Caught between the Bohrok above and the Makuta below, surely all the Mata Nui Matoran would have been annihilated.

Again, the Bohrok do not annihilate. Yes, they are designed to remove those who would stop them, by force if necessary, but they aren’t meant to go willy-nilly genocidal on whoever happens to be on the island. Makuta would also be unwilling to kill the Matoran (whether they started to leave Mata-Nui earlier than planned or not) because of their importance to his plan.

Further, in the absence of the Nuva symbols' being available, the Kal probably would have tried to kidnap the Toa Nuva. The end result is predictable - the Kal would have been destroyed (along with possibly half of the island?). Which is exactly what happened otherwise.

Exactly. Without the symbols it’s unlikely the Kal would have ever succeeded. In order to subvert convincing the Nuva to unleash the Swarm again, why not just give the Kal what they need to do their destined duty?

Why would Artahka want to off the Bohrok-Kal? That doesn't make sense, but that's what his actions assured.

Not really. Up until the end, the Nuva were nearly guaranteed to fail. They had tried several ways to stop the Kal, even stopping time, and failed. If anything was assured by the creation of the symbols, it was the freeing of the Queens, something that needed to happen in order for Mata-Nui to awaken.

Also, the Nuva Cube.

If Artahka was testing Makuta, why make a cube that allowed the Bohrok Queens to be freed without the consent of the Nuva? The Nuva Cube is unneeded in a plot to test Makuta, but is VITAL in a plan to free the Queens without the help of the Nuva.

Edited by Loading...

Caught between the Bohrok above and the Makuta below, surely all the Mata Nui Matoran would have been annihilated.

Again, the Bohrok do not annihilate. Yes, they are designed to remove those who would stop them, by force if necessary, but they aren’t meant to go willy-nilly genocidal on whoever happens to be on the island. Makuta would also be unwilling to kill the Matoran (whether they started to leave Mata-Nui earlier than planned or not) because of their importance to his plan.

Yeah, actually if that happened, Makuta would have made some dramatic show of opposition posed as a duel type challenge, just as he later did with the "Kolhii" game, and then fake a defeat again by the Toa Nuva this time. You could make the case that Artakha hoped to get the Matoran to return sooner than they did, and the Nuva failed to get the message (or Artakha failed to communicate lol).

Still doubt Artakha is the strategist yall are imagining though. Seems more like Helryx's style. Of course, you could interchange Artakha for Helryx in these theories, since the Order worked with Artakha and such decisions might be up to Helryx.

Without the symbols it’s unlikely the Kal would have ever succeeded.

Eh... the Kal still had a lot of power, and strategy on their side. The knockout tactic Levhak Kal used on the Nuva might still work if they first ambush Lewa and knock him out by more conventional means. He'd been defeated once before even with his air powers, though not as a Nuva. Then, they could put Krana on all six. Now, Lewa had demonstrated that a Krana-ed being can take the Krana off, but that was with Onua, not Krana-ed, talking him through it. If all get Krana-ed, seems to me they'd probably stay that way. Then they could just be marched right up to the Bahrag and mind-controlled to unlock the cage.

So it seems to me that with the symbols the Nuva's win was actually MORE likely because the Kal did not deem it necessary to Krana them. This could have been Artakha's (or Helryx's) goal too. (Assuming either had any idea of the specific events that were going on or even whether Kal existed.) As it was the Nuva kept conscious control of themselves, so they were able to come up with a plan and implement it, using a trump card the Kal didn't know about (Vahi), and logic to figure out a loophole in the symbols. In the alternative, the Kal would be working with familiar things only, rather than wildcards, and the Nuva would be mentally powerless (nearly so).

If the story had gone that route, they likely still would have mentally overcome things and then had a final destructive battle, but perhaps one or two of them might have died; some of the Kal's elements are very dangerous (Plasma esp.).

If anything was assured by the creation of the symbols, it was the freeing of the Queens, something that needed to happen in order for Mata-Nui to awaken.

Seems like that would be just as assured, if not more so, if the Krana route was taken instead (that would be their default strategy as Bohrok, keep in mind). Being mentally powerless, the actual power powers would be the very problem, since those powers would be forced to be unleashed on the protocage, unlocking it. And if you can't control your mind, you can't really fight.

Possible too, though I have no direct evidence, just throwing it out there since it occurred to me, that Krana-Kal have a more powerful grip on minds of people whose faces they clamp onto than normal Krana. It would make sense given their purpose.

So, there's a strong possibility that the symbols either 1) Saved the life of at least one Nuva from the alternate end-battle or 2) Were the only realistic option for stopping the Kal by deception (on A/H's part).

We're still left to wonder why the Order doesn't intervene in such things, but maybe if the Nuva had failed they would have intervened to ensure the Matoran weren't wiped out, helping the Matoran go down toward Metru Nui. In general Toa are supposed to be the agents of most important missions, and the Order isn't, to help preserve their secrecy. So all things considered, seems like the symbols may have been the best idea.

As for whether Artakha/Helryx/if any had goals in mind regarding Makuta, probably yes, but it might have been more indirect than fishers' theory. I agree that the cube proves the Kal (or something like them) was probably their main direct focus. That said, I don't buy the argument that fishers' "dangle" strategy would be a serious danger to the Nuva. Artakha made six symbols, he could make more. And just keep them on the island the second time. Of course, that could provide a brief window to destroy the Nuva themselves more easily. We know Teridax didn't want to, but Artakha wouldn't. Still, Artakha probably realized if Makuta really wanted them dead they would have been DOA. So, fishers' reasoning seems possible. I just doubt it was the primary consideration; I think it was more about the Kal, and just giving the Nuva something that really belongs to them.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

@bonesiii: I've never thought about this until now, but are Krana-Kal able to "Krana" beings? I'd assume, but I suppose we've never seen it...

Since the Krana-Kal are free of the hive mind, is it possible they can't control other beings? Or, more something like, since the hive is controlled by the Queens, and they were blocked by their cage, would a "Krana-Kal"-ed being be controlled by anyone?

Perhaps that's why they didn't "Krana" the Nuva. It would have done nothing?

...or would the Krana-Kal just control them directly, instead of making them part of the hive mind?

No reason they wouldn't be able to. Same headplate and brainpan design.

Each Krana is what controls a being they target, it has nothing to do with whether or not that Krana is connected to a hivemind. But it might need to hear directly spoken orders to know what to do. Unlikely in this case; "free the Bahrag." Basic logic; doesn't really need hivemind input.

Perhaps that's why they didn't "Krana" the Nuva. It would have done nothing?

Again, I think it's clearly because they deemed it pointless. Once they stole their powers, the Nuva were irrelevant, in the Kal's minds. Krana-ing someone is inconvenient for the Kal; they have to literally give up their brain and wait for a Va to come around and replace it. Given their arrogance, it seems clear they considered it too much annoyance for little gain. Only major benefit I can see, given that the symbols were there, is to more quickly learn where the Bahrag are by forcing the Nuva to tell. But that arrogance would make them think interrogation and just plain old searching would be sufficient. (And the latter did prove to be enough.)

...or would the Krana-Kal just control them directly, instead of making them part of the hive mind?

My understanding is all Krana control their targets directly. Actually, I don't think most Krana are technically part of a hivemind. A bit rusty on this but it does not seem to be what I recall; wasn't just one type of Krana assigned the power of telepathy? I'm sure I recall at least one scene of Va having to physically travel to a squad and emit a sonic signal to pass out orders from the Bahrag to them. If they were close enough, the Bahrag can communicate telepathically, and if they have a telepathy Krana in range, they can communicate anywhere, but I don't think it's necessarily in real-time like a literal hivemind, like the Borg. More like the telepathy is another method of communication to pass out orders.

It's also sonic signals that can control the entire swarm of non-Kal Bohrok, not telepathy, both for awakening them and sending them back to the nest. Seems more like it's these things the Kal are exempt from; they have independant decision-making capabilities, not an inability to communicate. In the final Kal comic, the Bahrag are even shown communicating telepathically to the Kal (who are disobeying).

*checks something*

Yeah, one of the Krana-Kal is cited as telepathy. So, you may have been mistaken about that point (depending on how you meant it :P).

I thought that the cube was just made like a normal protocage would have. After all, when it came down to it, the Nuva unlocked the thing in normal protocage fashion.

These are all interesting ideas.

Personally, though, I feel like yall're overthinking it. I think Artakha is invention-minded, not a universe-watching super-strategist. He knew that Toa Nuva would need the symbols if they came into existence, and apparently knew six were destined to (the six Toa he'd made), and once he found out (however he did, maybe some kind of sensor?) that Nuva now existed, just naturally felt that they should be given the symbols. Perhaps he didn't know they had lost their memories, for example, and they'd already been briefed on what to do in such an event, so Artakha just assumed they would take precautions to guard them. As an inventor, and maker of gifts, his thinking probably did not go much farther than "The Nuva are real now and need their symbols so I'll mail them to them."

I always suspected too that the symbols' initialization might require they be teleported to Suva that were connected mentally already to the Toa, so that the symbols could be mentally anchored to those Toa from then on. :shrugs:

I don't think he is "a universe-watching super strategist". I just think that he might have given a little thought to how his inventions might affect the situation on Mata Nui. He invented the symbols in the first place; failing to do so could have been bad, yes? He was aware of the place enough to send the symbols. It's not like he was completely living under a rock. (Now I do think that he might have been confident in the Toa Mata's (his creations') ability to save the universe, thereby shrugging off a need to intervene.) But this is the guy we're talking about:

Artakha stood in the shattered doorway, facing some of the most powerful beings in existence. His stance made it clear he was their equal, if not their superior.

His cold eyes fell first on Lewa Nuva. “Your task is done,” he said. “Return whence you came.”

Lewa Nuva stared at Artakha for a moment, then turned without a word and started to exit, only to be blocked by the newcomer.

“Without the body,” said Artakha.

Lewa Nuva shrugged. “Payment for services rendered?”

“The mind of Lewa Nuva is trapped within your old body, Tren Krom, as you well know,” Artakha replied. “He deserves better than to suffer a fate meant for you.”

The mouth of Lewa Nuva smiled, though it was the mind of Tren Krom that made it so. “The words come easily to you, Artakha. You chose to live as an exile. I did not.”

“None of us choose our destiny,” Artakha replied. “And none of us can defy it. Go, Tren Krom. Have faith Mata Nui will reward you when all is said and done.”

Lewa Nuva nodded. “Faith, yes … a drop of water in place of an ocean.”

Artakha reached out and placed the palm of his right hand on Lewa Nuva’s forehead. “It’s more than time.”

The Toa’s body spasmed, then dropped to the floor. After a moment, Lewa’s eyes opened and he looked around, dazed. “Where …? I was … in a cave … in an ever-ugly body … and …”

Artakha ignored him. Helryx had advanced up to him, staring up at his masked face and making no effort to contain her fury. “This is no affair of yours, Artakha. Actions must be taken to contain the threat of Makuta, here and now.”

“Creation is my essence,” Artakha replied. “And you would destroy all that exists. I can’t allow that.”

He's not a strategist, but he isn't an absentminded slouch either.

Also, I must object to the Suva thing. There's no mention of lost powers between the Nuva-izing and the symbol showing (which was a considerable amount of time), and the Nuva's powers returned before the symbols were brought back to the Suva on the island.

Also, I think the Nuva (had they been at full power) would have resisted being Kranaed, and probably seriously damaged the Kal. Plasma or no, fire still melts machine components and water puddles still conduct electricity.

Also, how would Artahka know about the Bohrok-Kal? Would the Order (if they even knew) would have told him? All beings here seem to assume that they knew. I suppose that the Bohrok might have encountered opposition once or twice on their 100,000 year journey, but even still, it stands to reason that they probably could have defeated the Bohrok-Kal without the symbol thing.

Also, I must object to the Suva thing. There's no mention of lost powers between the Nuva-izing and the symbol showing (which was a considerable amount of time)

Where are you getting the part in parentheses? That's not how I remember it. I thought the symbols appeared roughly at the same time as the Nuva were in the EP, if not the same.

Also, I think the Nuva (had they been at full power) would have resisted being Kranaed, and probably seriously damaged the Kal.

Of course, but if you're unconscious, you can't use powers. The Kal did use a sort of sneak attack as it is, so it doesn't seem like a stretch to imagine them using a sneak vacuum attack or whatnot to overpower the Toa. Or just knock them all out the old-fashioned way in an ambush, one at a time. Since they weren't all in one place all the time.

My point is, with the symbols, it gave them a chance to come out of the sneak attack (since it took a different form) still free to then come up with a sneak attack of their own. In the alternate scenario, they might get out of the sneak attack, but it seems it would be more of a gamble, debatably.

As for how Artakha would know of the Kal, there's any number of ways, including basic specs of the Bohrok being given by Mata Nui to the Hand and/or later the Order. But since the Bahrag made them apparently on their own, it's admittedly confusing how he could know. But the appearance of the Nuva cube certainly seems to prove he must have, somehow or another. The easiest answer is that at some point during the thousand years the Order inspected the hive and found them. Someone must have inspected it at least a little to know where to send the cube anyways. It's possible they might stumble on the six unusual Bohrok still asleep, and put two and two together. Yet another is a use of telepathy to scan the Bahrag's mind to find out why they made the Kal. :shrugs:

Also, I must object to the Suva thing. There's no mention of lost powers between the Nuva-izing and the symbol showing (which was a considerable amount of time)

Where are you getting the part in parentheses? That's not how I remember it. I thought the symbols appeared roughly at the same time as the Nuva were in the EP, if not the same.

Memory says that it comes from a description in Bionicle Chronicles #3, where Pohatu mentions having the Bohrok helping with the repairs to the village, and then the symbols appear. But that's probably just my interpretation on the subject.

"Who would have thought it?" Pohatu said. "Not long ago we were fighting the Bohrok swarms. Now they're helping us repair the damage they caused."

"It is amazing indeed, Toa of Stone," Onewa agreed. "I must admit, I was not certain it was the right decision, letting the Bohrok swarms into the villages so soon after you and the other Toa defeated their queens."

"How could it be the wrong decision?" Pohatu said. "After all, it's one of the few things we six Toa have agreed upon since we arrived here."

[...]

"Turaga! Turaga!" a shout interrupted their conversation. They turned to see a villager racing toward them.

That's Hewkii, coming to report the symbol's arrival. So Pohatu at least had time to come home, see the Bohrok repairing the village, and have a chat with Onewa before the thing showed up. (I would argue that it also would have taken time for the Matoran to organize the Bohrok and the Toa Nuva to agree to let them into the village, but I won't hair-split.)

To be fair, the books don't mention the Nuva using their elemental powers during that time, only mask powers (the power blaster game happened after the symbols showed). I also don't have the most detailed memory of the comic version, seeing as I only read it once. But that's where I got it from.

The original source for it was the online animation, which I believe made it look simultaneous. We didn't see the Nuva at the same time, but the Bohrok shut down right as the symbols appeared. That's semi-canon, but then so are Hapka's books.

And just from what you quoted there, it's ambiguous as to whether it appeared then or they'd just then discovered it. This is Po-Koro? The Po-Matoran had all evacced it and were in Ga. They would have to take time to return. Of course, they would also have seen the Ga one appearing. :shrugs:

But I wouldn't take the Hapka portrayal seriously in this case. When you have dueling semi-canon sources, probably best to go with the original.

FTR, I'm pretty sure the comics have the Nuva trying out their increased elemental powers before visiting their villages.

I know this has nothing to do with the title topic but I've learned that Artahka created the Nuva masks that are now worn by the Toa Nuva. I thought Tahu and his team were transformed from their original kanohi masks, after they were trapped in their canisters with flooding protodermis.

Edited by bohrokmaster

Bohrohkmaster, I sent you a pm about your question so we don't go off topic.

Back on topic. I'm pretty sure there is no distance limit with the Navy symbols. And as I recall as soon as they got out of the caves they tested their new power.

Now here's a theory, who's to say the Nuva symbols weren't just on a device that beamed them when the nuva were created? Arthakha may not have even transported them, just put them on a sort of timer, possibly along with the kanohi Nuva.

I think the main question is, if artahka was Inside the GSR, how did he know to send the masks and symbols OUTSIDE the GSR? Most matotan and beings shouldn't even know about the island of mata nui.

The original source for it was the online animation, which I believe made it look simultaneous. We didn't see the Nuva at the same time, but the Bohrok shut down right as the symbols appeared. That's semi-canon, but then so are Hapka's books.

And just from what you quoted there, it's ambiguous as to whether it appeared then or they'd just then discovered it. This is Po-Koro? The Po-Matoran had all evacced it and were in Ga. They would have to take time to return. Of course, they would also have seen the Ga one appearing. :shrugs:

But I wouldn't take the Hapka portrayal seriously in this case. When you have dueling semi-canon sources, probably best to go with the original.

FTR, I'm pretty sure the comics have the Nuva trying out their increased elemental powers before visiting their villages.

*bangs head on desk* I just rewatched that two weeks ago! Ah.

I think the main question is, if artahka was Inside the GSR, how did he know to send the masks and symbols OUTSIDE the GSR? Most matotan and beings shouldn't even know about the island of mata nui.

I think Art and the OoMN would have had to know about it, because the Metru Nui Matoran were removed from Metru Nui. They had to go somewhere.

I also think, if the symbols were on such an automatic system, it would have been programmed to send it the nearest safe location nearest the Nuva. It wouldn't have mattered if they were in the GSR or not.

I thought that the cube was just made like a normal protocage would have. After all, when it came down to it, the Nuva unlocked the thing in normal protocage fashion.

I don't think that a cube normally forms along with a protodermis cage. There was no cube formed when the Metru imprisoned Teridax, so I assume that the Nuva Cube is a unique feature among proto-cages.

Also, if I'm correct, we know that the cube was made by Artahka alongside the Nuva Symbols, so it definitely wasn't a byproduct of the cage formation. I may be wrong however, so I apologies in advance if I am mistaken...

The existence of the Nuva Cube at all is what makes me think that Artahka placed the Symbols on Mata-Nui for the Kal to use. The cube was not, to my knowlege, a necessary part of the symbols' jobs as batteries, so why would Artahka create it at all? It's sole purpose was to act as an unlocking mechanism that would not require the consent of the Nuva. Even if it was a necessary part of the Symbols' function, why would Artahka put it in the Bohrok nest, literally right next to the Bahrag's prison, if it wasn't meant to be used to free them?

Edit: Then again, the proximity of the Cube to the proto-cage may not have mattered. But still, why make it if you're just testing Teridax or giving the Nuva a necessary battery?

Edited by Loading...

Now here's a theory, who's to say the Nuva symbols weren't just on a device that beamed them when the nuva were created?

That has been my sort-of assumption, actually. Although it's possible for him to do it directly and just use a device to tell him when it's time.

if artahka was Inside the GSR, how did he know to send the masks and symbols OUTSIDE the GSR? Most matotan and beings shouldn't even know about the island of mata nui.

I don't know how he kept in touch with the outside world, but the Order at least would certainly investigate where the entire population of the most important city in their world disappeared to. They had a thousand years to discover they went up, and some remaining witnesses (Rahaga, etc.) to question, telepathically spy on, etc. to find out. If the Order talks to Artakha, that would be sufficient.

I don't think that a cube normally forms along with a protodermis cage. There was no cube formed when the Metru imprisoned Teridax, so I assume that the Nuva Cube is a unique feature among proto-cages.

Also, if I'm correct, we know that the cube was made by Artahka alongside the Nuva Symbols, so it definitely wasn't a byproduct of the cage formation. I may be wrong however, so I apologies in advance if I am mistaken...

The existence of the Nuva Cube at all is what makes me think that Artahka placed the Symbols on Mata-Nui for the Kal to use. The cube was not, to my knowlege, a necessary part of the symbols' jobs as batteries, so why would Artahka create it at all? It's sole purpose was to act as an unlocking mechanism that would not require the consent of the Nuva. Even if it was a necessary part of the Symbols' function, why would Artahka put it in the Bohrok nest, literally right next to the Bahrag's prison, if it wasn't meant to be used to free them?

Edit: Then again, the proximity of the Cube to the proto-cage may not have mattered. But still, why make it if you're just testing Teridax or giving the Nuva a necessary battery?

You are correct.

It's possible that Makuta would have tried to free the Bahrag, although that probably would have been inefficient in his mindset. Rahkshi were easier.