Mask of Creation Poll

Mask of Creation Poll  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, a while ago I posted this topic asking people's opinions about the MoC's lack of name. It was suggested to make a poll out of the main suggestions there. So here goes. :)

If there's a clear winner I might feature it in my retelling of all Bionicle history. I have been avoiding including the Matoran-language names in general, but had to include the Ignika's name as "Mask of Life" got tedious to repeat over and over. I did end up mentioning the name of the Vahi too. So, given that Artakha starts to play a more important role near the end it might make sense to have a name for his mask too.

And with some of the suggestions, like the Mata Nui Island map words that haven't been taken yet, it's even possible we could ask Greg to canonize them, since they are already cleared by legal. The others could only be a fan thing.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I don't think it should be called the Kanohi Artahka, as it would imply Artahka was always meant to having, making the contest between him and Karzahni pointless. Unless of course it was named afterwards, but i think that's less likely.

However, I wouldn't mind if Artahka was always meant to have had a creating-ish role, and so his name had a link to the Mask of Creation, which is why I like the Kanohi Arka.

Kanohi Nuvau makes sense canonically, as it's clear it comes from Nuva (new).

As for the canon words, I just felt Kanae sounded coolest. I just found that it comes from Lake Kanae in Mata Nui, but any ideas as to what it means?

• Upvote 2

Remember the Temple of Creation from MNOLG II and how the Po-Koronans made such a big deal out of Creation as a principle? Since all that was in the Motara desert, I think it'd actually make a lot of sense for Motara to mean Creation. I'm voting Motara. And Tiro, because the Tiro Canyon was nearby.

I don't know about the non-canon names. Do any of them mean anything in Maori or something? I like Nuvau and Arka for their aforementioned connections to Nuva and Artakha, but I'm open to any others I can find rationale behind.

bug_animated.gif

1. Huru, but only cause that's the only one I've never seen featured in actual Bionicle canon. Where has it been mentioned? I don't like the idea of using a Mata Nui name for a mask.

2. Nuvau. Has a nice ring to it and kind of refers to the word "nuva".

3. No. Considering the story is over anyways, fanon information is as good as canon in my opinion. Except for BS01 purposes.

To those of you asking where these things come from, please see the link to the previous topic in the first post. It's all explained there. :)

Edit: Wow... we seem to have a strong consensus that we want a canonized name, but there's an exact tie for all the canonizable ones so far! Hrm.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

There is no such thing as a Huru. The river referred to is "Hura-Mafa River".

Reference

Whoops. I edited the poll option to fix. That as of this post had eight votes, which were for "Huru". It'll be taken with the appropriate dosage of salt accordingly.

Edit: Looking back at the previous topic, it appears this affected my etymological research; I only looked up the typo version. "Hura" gets several results: centipede, discovery (connects to creativity), uncover, unearth, unveil (like, revealing a newly made thing?). Most of those are under "hura(ina)". But it does fit well.

Edited by bonesiii

Kanae, Auaha, and Unsure. I think Unsure sums up my whole view quite nicely. (bones could use a name for his retelling, why not? Hmm...a non-canon name would create confusion...but all the canon ones aren't that cool either...but it would be really nice if bones had a name...) This makes for a really cool death spiral, but no great decision making. :P

Remember the Temple of Creation from MNOLG II and how the Po-Koronans made such a big deal out of Creation as a principle? Since all that was in the Motara desert, I think it'd actually make a lot of sense for Motara to mean Creation. I'm voting Motara. And Tiro, because the Tiro Canyon was nearby.

I don't know about the non-canon names. Do any of them mean anything in Maori or something? I like Nuvau and Arka for their aforementioned connections to Nuva and Artakha, but I'm open to any others I can find rationale behind.

In the original topic, I submitted "Arka" after talking to Tolkien and he constructed that name using the principles of his Matoran Dictionary. It's supposed to actually mean "Creation" or "the application of creative force" in Matoran.

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

So, we're voting on which name will go in your fanfic, right?

For S&T purposes, the possibility of going for a canon name is more relevant (otherwise it wouldn't really belong here). But yes, seeing how the poll is turning out, I think the current front-runner in the canon side is really growing on me (there's no dead-even tie anymore there; on the other side things seem more unclear).

I'm still fond of "Arka". Not complicated, not vowel-heavy, not a "forced" existing name, and it has a short but hard and powerful ring to it. ARKA. As I mentioned in the other topic, is sounds like "arcane", another cool word. Plus, ancient powerful artifacts should have names like this.

Unsure if I want it to be 100% official, but it's better than the other options in my personal opinion.

Edited by Katuko

Motara and Arka…ah…just listen to that rich molasses.

Those seem to be the popular names, and I agree. Motara just sounds…powerful. It evokes strength and will. But…as was said before, Arka has a melodious ring to it.

Thats my two cents. :wakeup:

• Upvote 2
Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

I voted for Hura on a whim, but after looking over this topic, I'd have to say I favor Motara. I love the tie-in with Po-Koro's principle of Creation.

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I don't think it should be called the Kanohi Artahka, as it would imply Artahka was always meant to having, making the contest between him and Karzahni pointless. Unless of course it was named afterwards, but i think that's less likely.

However, I wouldn't mind if Artahka was always meant to have had a creating-ish role, and so his name had a link to the Mask of Creation, which is why I like the Kanohi Arka.

Kanohi Nuvau makes sense canonically, as it's clear it comes from Nuva (new).

As for the canon words, I just felt Kanae sounded coolest. I just found that it comes from Lake Kanae in Mata Nui, but any ideas as to what it means?

Naming the mask Artakha would make it seem as though Artakha was always destined to have the mask, and we have a lot of predestination in the Matoran Universe as is. That said, my pick for canonization was Tiro, because it sounds so different from the name of any other mask which we've seen so far. A special mask deserves a special name which is easily recognizable.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg